FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Save Grass Roots Football

Save Grass Roots Football

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

For anyone that plays, coaches, has kids that play or just care for our national game, there is an epetition running, easy to find, to get some political attention for the chronic lack of investment in grass roots football while the top of the game is awash with cash.

Participation levels are falling due to increasing costs and in many cases terrible facilities. We are being left miles behind the likes of the Dutch, Spanish and Germans because our kids have less access to coaching and things like 3G pitches than virtually anywhere in Europe.

The social benefits of keeping kids involved in competitive sport are immeasurable and the more we can do to filter cash down to the bottom of the pyramid the better.

So if you get a chance please join the campaign, let's get the funding debate to a political level and see if we can save our national game.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Here here!

"Here here!"

I knew I could count on you!

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

I agree,is there a website to go to

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

Some of today's multi millionaire footballers could chip in to the fund.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Premier League clubs/players could adopt local or specific leagues to help fund improvement. It would make a massive difference. At a time kids are meant to be playing football they've been able to play 3 games in 3 months due to weather and pitch conditions. It's so disheartening for them.

"I agree,is there a website to go to"

There is, it is a govt epetition, if it gets to 100k there will be a parliamentary committee. Check out @savegrassroots for more details.

There are so many things that could be done to support the game at the junior level.

So with the money men at FIFA insisting on a winter world cup, a reminder to sign the petition if you can and give some of our youngsters a chance of reaching the heights of a world cup. @savegrassroots

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

"I agree,is there a website to go to

There is, it is a govt epetition, if it gets to 100k there will be a parliamentary committee. Check out @savegrassroots for more details.

There are so many things that could be done to support the game at the junior level."

Parliamentary Committee - cost to the tax payer?

Yes i agree...too much money in top flight football..grass root's so need's more funding.

Totally agree

A small percentage of all premier league clubs tv money should be used for developing the local amateur/kids leagues

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

The current system is shocking. Trying to get grants approved and squeeze money out of them for improvements is a nightmare.

There are so many things that could be done to support the game at the junior level.

"

Is Parliament not the place to discuss issues of importance? There social benefits of keeping, in particular, teenage boys playing competitive sport rather than getting involved in gangs and anti-social behaviour is immeasurable. The benefits of having fit and healthy kids is immeasurable. There are many reasons why sport is important and why we need decent facilities to keep participation levels high.

Is Parliament not the place to discuss issues of importance? There social benefits of keeping, in particular, teenage boys playing competitive sport rather than getting involved in gangs and anti-social behaviour is immeasurable. The benefits of having fit and healthy kids is immeasurable. There are many reasons why sport is important and why we need decent facilities to keep participation levels high."

The funding that gets thrown about by the FA & the Premier League goes in to pro clubs to run social inclusion projects (getting kids off the street). However, for some of these clubs, they're only interested in numbers & don't target the right areas. Money waisted or lining the clubs pockets in my opinion.

The other issue is that when you go to book a 3G pitch it's too costly!! Already no money in grassroots, then expected to pay approx £75 to play a 9v9 match for an hour & £120 for a 11v11.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

I dont believe Parliament is the right place for this to be dealt with.

The revenue that is generated, and overall responsibility of the sport comes under the direct jurisdiction of the Football Association.

It is inconceivable that the tax payer should become involved and feel a cost.

"I dont believe Parliament is the right place for this to be dealt with.

The revenue that is generated, and overall responsibility of the sport comes under the direct jurisdiction of the Football Association.

It is inconceivable that the tax payer should become involved and feel a cost."

The FA is up to its eyes in debt from building Wembley and the white elephant that is St Georges Park. They are totally powerless to extract the money generated by Premier League TV rights which is why we need government to intervene and secure appropriate funding and facilities for our youngsters.

Is Parliament not the place to discuss issues of importance? There social benefits of keeping, in particular, teenage boys playing competitive sport rather than getting involved in gangs and anti-social behaviour is immeasurable. The benefits of having fit and healthy kids is immeasurable. There are many reasons why sport is important and why we need decent facilities to keep participation levels high.

The funding that gets thrown about by the FA & the Premier League goes in to pro clubs to run social inclusion projects (getting kids off the street). However, for some of these clubs, they're only interested in numbers & don't target the right areas. Money waisted or lining the clubs pockets in my opinion.

The other issue is that when you go to book a 3G pitch it's too costly!! Already no money in grassroots, then expected to pay approx £75 to play a 9v9 match for an hour & £120 for a 11v11. "

Those costs are conservative in London.

...and Wayne Rooney is on £300K per week.

Aye ok.

Is this just for lower level football? If so why? Surely it would be more beneficial to get this funding for ALL kids sports?

By *aro7Man  over a year ago

wickford

"For anyone that plays, coaches, has kids that play or just care for our national game, there is an epetition running, easy to find, to get some political attention for the chronic lack of investment in grass roots football while the top of the game is awash with cash.

Participation levels are falling due to increasing costs and in many cases terrible facilities. We are being left miles behind the likes of the Dutch, Spanish and Germans because our kids have less access to coaching and things like 3G pitches than virtually anywhere in Europe.

The social benefits of keeping kids involved in competitive sport are immeasurable and the more we can do to filter cash down to the bottom of the pyramid the better.

So if you get a chance please join the campaign, let's get the funding debate to a political level and see if we can save our national game."

Mate I hear you,,,,,,,our football is in a terrible state, I lived and breathed football as a kid and young adult, now I really don't enjoy it at all, lost all interest with the premier league and international football, if I go to a game now I go to local non league games,,,,,,,the kids a struggling, local teams are falling by the wayside,,,,,,it's nothing like when we were kids, my best mate was a pro at QPR in the late eighties,,,,,,,,he now scouts, he has scouted at a few big london clubs, what he tells me about the goings on behind the scenes and the way these young kids are just discarded, because the aren't going to make it,,,,,,,,digusting, he even removed his own son, because of the pressures, he now plays at a local team and has a smile on his face again,,,,,,,,,,the foreign kids that come along and squeeze out our own kids, appalling,,,,,,he's even been to Croatia on several occasions to watch kids there to sign up,,,,,,English football for our own kids is a disgrace, in fact football at professional level has become a disgrace,,,,,,,,(phew, sorry people) I feel better now, support our kids, let them enjoy our national game, lets see them smile.

"Is this just for lower level football? If so why? Surely it would be more beneficial to get this funding for ALL kids sports? "

You are right, there should be more funding for all sports. One battle at a time though.

Still need more people to sign the e-petition to get more funding for kids. Time running out if we want this petition to have an impact.

"Is this just for lower level football? If so why? Surely it would be more beneficial to get this funding for ALL kids sports? "

There is. Many, many sports benefit from lottery funding at grassroots levels.

I'm not a football fan and this is a genuine question, why is it not happeniung in football? And why is it down to the government to change that?

Totally agree, - the success of Southampton surely has set the benchmark of how good local kids can become with the right funding & facilities, although good luck in persuading a Tory party to cut from the top of a pyramid to feed the base, - that's just not playing Cricket, whatto!

By *ikeC81Man  over a year ago

harrow

Save grass routs football

Loved playing 5-a-side at power league. Twice a week...don't get me wrong it could get a bit feisty but it was a great way to have fun and meet up with mates

"Is this just for lower level football? If so why? Surely it would be more beneficial to get this funding for ALL kids sports?

There is. Many, many sports benefit from lottery funding at grassroots levels.

I'm not a football fan and this is a genuine question, why is it not happeniung in football? And why is it down to the government to change that?

"

Whole range of issues, from schools no longer having playing fields through to a mountain of debt at the FA because of building Wembley through to the fact that many pitches are owned by local councils who have seen their budgets cut and therefore won't/can't maintain pitches.

Football is still played by 8m people every week, it is becoming more and more expenive while facilities are getting worse and worse, while at the same time at the top of the game there has been an unprecedented inflow of money from global TV rights. The Premier League talked about ensuring a decent % of that cash would find its way down to the grassroots and it has never got anywhere near its promise. So the aim is to get more govt focus to keep as many people playing the sport for as long as possible with all the health and social benefits that brings.

» Add a new message to this topic