FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Two car families etc...

Two car families etc...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I have a "family member"

Who works in government and we were chatting yesterday about transport and taxes and ohhhh everything.

Welllllll

He reckons that this government wants to remove the "two car" syndrome which most people now have.

Possibly by taxing second car higher and therefore people not bieng able to afford second car...

Its all to do with emmisions...bieng greener etc.

What do you think ?

good idea or bad idea. ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Bad idea would make it harder to get to work. But i hate the school runs in the morning when the parents shove the kids out of the car. By the way I dont drive use my legs, bike or bus and I manage apart from when I want to go to chams.

By *ensualfire88Man  over a year ago

Edinburgh

I know some people on here who are struggling to afford new shoes...let alone a second car.

bad idea cos I aint stepping foot into hubbys work van haha!

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

I have two cars... I can only drive one at once so it reduces feck all.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

how would they clasify 2 car families? what if you rent a room from someone that you arent related to and both of you have cars registered at that addres??

i dont see how this can work really

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I wouldnt mind seeing less cars on the road etc if im honest.

Our street is sometimes...all cars and they park where ever they want to even on pavements.

That really winds me up.

I cant see how they would achieve it though ?

A very bad idea. We live in a capitalist society which depends on peoople spending.

The prohibition of spending isn't going to benefit anyone.

Who cares if it's a green move ? Not politicians despite their protestations.

The three car family is the true aim of those who want to get us all out of this slump.

What is it with these pen pushers who make this nonsense up.

I don't give a toss about the environment, how i should fill my bin, what kind of emissions my car gives out, carbon footprints and all this other pish the PC green brigade seem to be throwing down our throats.

Rant over........

By *ixson-BallsMan  over a year ago

Blackpool

The three car family is the true aim of those who want to get us all out of this slump

funnnily enough thats our house... ...but in my opinion, i think the idea is unworkable...there are 3 cars in our house all registered to different people ,so who's gonna draw the short straw and end up paying more tax??

*firmly on my soapbox*

if that tried to get passed 'up here' i would refer to the SNP expenditure last year on transport and it's private fleet of limousines that robbed the tax payer of +£1m...not to mention the additional £250k that Mr Salmonds administration spent on private hire vehicle.

I half laughed/half seethed when I read about that Salmond chap signing for a private limo from his home to that Swamp Monster of a building they call Holyrood...a mere 150ft, a distance that Her Maj covered just the day previous....en pied.

This being a party that is trying to do just that...cut down the emissions.

*stepping back down and opening a bottle of that lovely taunton tonic*

By *plpxp2Couple  over a year ago

Middlesbrough

Often though it would be fantastic if the great British public could work together and stop using cars till the taxes were reduced

Cannot see the idea of taaxing a second car catching on, especially when they already tax them so highly and will be increasing this further in October (Darlings increase still stands) and January (The price of petrol was put up when VAT was cut, but this wasn't taken off when it went back up, now its going to 20%). Happy days

im sure they will implement some sort of tax on second cars, the motorist is an easy target, they know we need our cars as there isnt much of an alternative for many, so we will keep paying, as we do now

" .........that Swamp Monster of a building they call Holyrood............ "

The problem with Holyrood is that it looks rubbish from the outside at street level.

Get inside and it's really astonishingly well done and, for a good exterior view, climb the path up Salisbury Crag and get a look from above.

once junior old enough to drive she gettin her own car! iv seen her on the dodgems under no circumstances is she gettin near mine!!

i try and car share wherever i can with people goin to uni or work just so it saves on fuel money and wear and tear on cars x

"I have a "family member"

Who works in government and we were chatting yesterday about transport and taxes and ohhhh everything.

Welllllll

He reckons that this government wants to remove the "two car" syndrome which most people now have.

Possibly by taxing second car higher and therefore people not bieng able to afford second car...

Its all to do with emmisions...bieng greener etc.

What do you think ?

good idea or bad idea. ?"

What next a tax on your second, third and forth TV?

Must be wind up, because no matter how many cars you have, you can only drive one at a time, so the emissions thoery goes right out the window.

Plus, they each have to be taxed and MOT'd if they are used on UK roads, they each have to be fuelled. They would lose too much by introducing such a tax

I think it's a bad idea.

I'm self employed and have both a van and a car. The van is for work, the car is for private use.

I'll feel very miffed if I have to pay a higher tax on my car because I also have a van which I use to earn a living.

Being self employed already has its drawbacks and it penalties - God knows I don't need any more taxes to part me and my hard earned money

By *ick and tockCouple  over a year ago

wigan

we have 2 cars that are in band l car tax so u should we not have our weekend sports cars we both work hard to pay for them taxed on everything

"I have two cars... I can only drive one at once so it reduces feck all."

Shame you don't live in Switzerland then, the Swiss being the richest people in the world (see footnote) tend to have a lot of cars, and the wise old Swiss government like to keep the people happy.

Your tax disc there is your number plate, they are made in a Government approved factory only, they are "clip on" and every car purchased there is built to allow owners the ability to remove the plate and put it on thier 2nd vehicle or 3rd or 4th. The idea being that whichever car you are using that day is the one the Road Tax applies to. Ideal for multi car owners especially those who have a van, tractor, 4x4, people carrier, Ferrari or Harley Davidson for the day to day purpose.

If your wife or husband uses a car at the same time as you then you register and tax both vehicles but I saw the advantages of the scheme for many people.

As for richest country, yes you have rich Arabs, Indians, Russians etc all over the world but the basic wage for let's say a checkout girl is far higher in Suisse than anywhere else, thier standard of living is much higher, a checkout girl would have a nice apartment or home, a nice car and money to spare. In the village I lived in almost every Swiss born resident had a Ferrari for the summer, a Porshce Cayanne 4x4 for the winter and a Harley Davidson for fun (they like those 3 for some reason). At least two of the home owners there had more than one Ferrari but that was Messrs Schumacher and Hamilton. The Beckhams tended to use a helicopter when visiting thier home in the village and the more average people there like Diana Ross, Gloria Gaynor, Gloria Estephan, Nick Faldo and co opted for the Porsche Cayannes as they only tended to go there in the Winter.

My Vauxhall Zafira was often gazed upon trundling round the village and inwardly I knew they were all envious of it.

Interestingly the richest country in the world and one that is in europe are not members of the EU, Thier medical system is paid through insurance and is the highest standard I have ever witnessed, Taxes in relation to salaries is quite low, The emergency services are self financed and very efficient, the public transport system especially rail services are world renowned for efficieny - food for thought eh.

Very bad for those of us whose 1st car is a taxi, as only the licensed cabbie can drive it!

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple  over a year ago

Bolton

i really do hope this is just a load of hot air. we already tax 2 cars and 2 bikes so we deffo play more than enough tax.

steve

That's a terrible idea. I have my fun car that I drive very occassionally and my family car. My husband has his car too.

We pay enough in insurance and taxes on them as it is. Leave the motorist alone.

I don't have a drive at the minute but when I did I had about 6 cars as I like my cars.

I feel like such an easy target for them to get money from. I've already scaled down from my type r scoob to a less fuel thirsty car and am not prepared to go down any more. I like my car it makes a nice noise.

"That's a terrible idea. I have my fun car that I drive very occassionally and my family car. My husband has his car too.

We pay enough in insurance and taxes on them as it is. Leave the motorist alone.

I don't have a drive at the minute but when I did I had about 6 cars as I like my cars.

I feel like such an easy target for them to get money from. I've already scaled down from my type r scoob to a less fuel thirsty car and am not prepared to go down any more. I like my car it makes a nice noise. "

Isn't that the sort of situation which sums up the concept of 'progressive' taxation perfectly. The notion that, if you're choosing to drive a second car for 'fun' or because 'it makes a nice noise', you ought to be prepared to pay a bit more for that

"I have two cars... I can only drive one at once so it reduces feck all.

Shame you don't live in Switzerland then, the Swiss being the richest people in the world (see footnote) tend to have a lot of cars, and the wise old Swiss government like to keep the people happy.

Your tax disc there is your number plate, they are made in a Government approved factory only, they are "clip on" and every car purchased there is built to allow owners the ability to remove the plate and put it on thier 2nd vehicle or 3rd or 4th. The idea being that whichever car you are using that day is the one the Road Tax applies to. Ideal for multi car owners especially those who have a van, tractor, 4x4, people carrier, Ferrari or Harley Davidson for the day to day purpose.

If your wife or husband uses a car at the same time as you then you register and tax both vehicles but I saw the advantages of the scheme for many people.

As for richest country, yes you have rich Arabs, Indians, Russians etc all over the world but the basic wage for let's say a checkout girl is far higher in Suisse than anywhere else, thier standard of living is much higher, a checkout girl would have a nice apartment or home, a nice car and money to spare. In the village I lived in almost every Swiss born resident had a Ferrari for the summer, a Porshce Cayanne 4x4 for the winter and a Harley Davidson for fun (they like those 3 for some reason). At least two of the home owners there had more than one Ferrari but that was Messrs Schumacher and Hamilton. The Beckhams tended to use a helicopter when visiting thier home in the village and the more average people there like Diana Ross, Gloria Gaynor, Gloria Estephan, Nick Faldo and co opted for the Porsche Cayannes as they only tended to go there in the Winter.

My Vauxhall Zafira was often gazed upon trundling round the village and inwardly I knew they were all envious of it.

Interestingly the richest country in the world and one that is in europe are not members of the EU, Thier medical system is paid through insurance and is the highest standard I have ever witnessed, Taxes in relation to salaries is quite low, The emergency services are self financed and very efficient, the public transport system especially rail services are world renowned for efficieny - food for thought eh. "

Kinda sums up the old joke about Scotland. Nice country - shame about the neighbours

"I think it's a bad idea.

I'm self employed and have both a van and a car. The van is for work, the car is for private use.

I'll feel very miffed if I have to pay a higher tax on my car because I also have a van which I use to earn a living.

Being self employed already has its drawbacks and it penalties - God knows I don't need any more taxes to part me and my hard earned money"

100% agree.... I am in exactly the same position.

Bought a car when I had a company van to use, then went self employed (as made redundant) the car I had just bought was not suitable for my work so bought a van (no less than a 4x4 van, lol) to use for work.

I bought both second hand, so I didnt cause the factory to make them specially for me and I can only drive one at a time (Jo doesnt drive).

So how exactly am I causing more harm to the environment by having 2 vehicles?

So, I could (if i could afford to) buy a double cab pick up and use that for work and for home.

My car does 50mpg and the jeep I have now does 40mpg. Double cab pick up will do no more than 35mpg with much higher emissions. Again, how can that be good for the environment?

S.

By *histler21Man  over a year ago

Ipswich

If all families were forced to reduce to a single car - how much less car tax would be paid to HMRC?

"If all families were forced to reduce to a single car - how much less car tax would be paid to HMRC?"

And further encourage the decline in the already sinking UK motor industry, costing jobs and increasing unemployment and the benefits bill.

By *xccvvMan  over a year ago

Yorkshire North East

Diesel cost very little to produce and is environment friendly and at one time was far cheaper to petrol, until car producers started making cars with diesel engines and improved the diesel engine

You get more miles to the gallon with a diesel engine, less things go wrong with a diesel engine, and diesel cost very little to produce and has less Pollution than petrol

My point being the Government weather it be labour, Conservatory or the Libs seen away of getting more money in taxes, even though more people were now driving cars better for the environment, by increasing the tax and duty on diesel

make your own conclusion

By *lassic1Man  over a year ago

bellshill

Sorry peeps but I have come in late on this thread but .....jeeeesuuusshh...I have five of the fuckers in the drive ...cos" They all need diff things"

Diff things ???? five fucking road taxes/insurances .....help me here somebody...world gone mad!!!!

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple  over a year ago

Bolton

Daft idea, Steve can work miles away from home and I drive all day every day seeing clients - loads of people need two cars rather than want 2 cars - we've got 2 motorbikes as well - are they going to stop that too? Stupid! Z

» Add a new message to this topic