FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Will 'T Pyxidis' Destroy The Earth?

Will 'T Pyxidis' Destroy The Earth?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ig bad OP   Man  over a year ago

Up North :-)

It is set to self-destruct in an explosion called a supernova” and “It is much closer than previously thought” and “the blast from the thermonuclear explosion could strip away the Earth’s ozone layer!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"It is set to self-destruct in an explosion called a supernova” and “It is much closer than previously thought” and “the blast from the thermonuclear explosion could strip away the Earth’s ozone layer!

"

oh lord, hes been at the cooking sherry again

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

is that tinkerbells pixidust??

By *ixson-BallsMan  over a year ago

Blackpool

isn't this the time for superman to step in and save the world

By *ig bad OP   Man  over a year ago

Up North :-)

"isn't this the time for superman to step in and save the world "

We have wishy so i am hoping he can save the day!

"isn't this the time for superman to step in and save the world

We have wishy so i am hoping he can save the day! "

It is just beyond the 1,000 parsecs distance limit (3,260 light years (1 light year = 5,865,696,000,000 miles but is usually rounded to 6 trillion miles)). Now, times 6 trillion miles by 3,260 and you can see that if P Tyxidis does go supernova it's going to take an awfully long time for it's effect to be felt on Earth, and it will only be felt on Earth if P Tyxidis moves within 1,000 parsecs at the time it goes supernova.

I'll leave a message for my unborn great, great, great, great, great, great, great grandchildren to wear factor 2 million that day.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

It is just beyond the 1,000 parsecs distance limit (3,260 light years (1 light year = 5,865,696,000,000 miles but is usually rounded to 6 trillion miles)). Now, times 6 trillion miles by 3,260 and you can see that if P Tyxidis does go supernova it's going to take an awfully long time for it's effect to be felt on Earth, and it will only be felt on Earth if P Tyxidis moves within 1,000 parsecs at the time it goes supernova.

I'll leave a message for my unborn great, great, great, great, great, great, great grandchildren to wear factor 2 million that day. "

No need for me to be loosing any sleep over it just yet then lol

You stand more chance of being mown down by a 1956 London bus in the Antarctic than being atomised by a distant star hon. Sleep well.

"You stand more chance of being mown down by a 1956 London bus in the Antarctic than being atomised by a distant star hon. Sleep well. "

But but but, i am a distant star lol

Put it this way. If you could travel at 25,000 miles per hour it would take you 7,581,395 years to reach T Pyxidis. I think we're safe enough for a while lol

"Put it this way. If you could travel at 25,000 miles per hour it would take you 7,581,395 years to reach T Pyxidis. I think we're safe enough for a while lol "

How long does it take to get to R136a1

"Put it this way. If you could travel at 25,000 miles per hour it would take you 7,581,395 years to reach T Pyxidis. I think we're safe enough for a while lol

"

3.83720930235581395488372093023 billion years.

grrrrr...

About 3.8 billion years.

"grrrrr...

About 3.8 billion years. "

Lol, i dont hold out for many meets in the forceable future then lol

"grrrrr...

About 3.8 billion years.

Lol, i dont hold out for many meets in the forceable future then lol"

Nope, but your grandchildren 152,000,000 generations down the line might want to join up and create a profile. Just in case, like.

"grrrrr...

About 3.8 billion years.

Lol, i dont hold out for many meets in the forceable future then lol

Nope, but your grandchildren 152,000,000 generations down the line might want to join up and create a profile. Just in case, like. "

You scare me knowing all this bloody stuff, now i will end up going to bed and thinking about life in 152,000,000 generations time. Think im going t be frozen then thawed out again lol

[Removed by poster at 09/08/10 03:12:38]

The only factors you have to know to work out pretty much any distance/time equation regarding Space and the universe is that our nearest star, apart from our own Sun, is Alpha Centauri and it is 4.3 light years away.

A spaceship travelling at 25,000 mph, with an inexhaustable fuel supply, would take 10,000 years to get there.

Now you have all the numbers you need to calculate any distance in miles from The Earth, given that you know how far away the object is that you are concerned with. For example:

~

Star R136a1 = 165,000 light years away

165,000 / 4.3 * 10,000 = 3.8bn years

~

Star T Pyxidis = 3,260 light years away

3,260 / 4.3 * 10,000 = 7.5mn years

~

Increased velocity reduces the distance away in years. ie. 50,000mph = half the time it takes to get there.

~

Generations are generally calculated at 1 generation every 25 years (probably 20 years in today's world tbh)

So, if you have the total amount of light years it will take you to travel somewhere in the universe all you do is divide it by 25 to calculate how many generations of your family will have lived and died in the time it takes to travel there.

It's quite easy really lol

* edit total amount of years

very easy wishy, i just learnt more in 5 minutes than i ever did in all those science lessons i skivedxxx

"The only factors you have to know to work out pretty much any distance/time equation regarding Space and the universe is that our nearest star, apart from our own Sun, is Alpha Centauri and it is 4.3 light years away.

A spaceship travelling at 25,000 mph, with an inexhaustable fuel supply, would take 10,000 years to get there.

Now you have all the numbers you need to calculate any distance in miles from The Earth, given that you know how far away the object is that you are concerned with. For example:

~

Star R136a1 = 165,000 light years away

165,000 / 4.3 * 10,000 = 3.8bn years

~

Star T Pyxidis = 3,260 light years away

3,260 / 4.3 * 10,000 = 7.5mn years

~

Increased velocity reduces the distance away in years. ie. 50,000mph = half the time it takes to get there.

~

Generations are generally calculated at 1 generation every 25 years (probably 20 years in today's world tbh)

So, if you have the total amount of light years it will take you to travel somewhere in the universe all you do is divide it by 25 to calculate how many generations of your family will have lived and died in the time it takes to travel there.

It's quite easy really lol

"

Crackin reply lol but if ya are wrong Nobody will be here ta say ya were wrong lol xx

The only problem to all this darting about the universe is that if we were to try and travel to Star R136a1 we would need a spaceship of such an immense size that it could carry enough people who could reproduce offspring who would learn how to fly the ship and then create offspring themselves to fly it after they have died. To produce 152mn generations without genetic mutations because of a limited gene pool would take millions of people all producing 2 children and then insuring that each child produced more children with people OTHER than those genetically related to them.

~

Meanwhile, here on Earth, with the amount of people migrating from one country to the next we are, in fact, contributing to our own extinction. People migrating will invariably begin to breed in their new habitats which leads to a dilution of the overall gene pool and if our gene pool is reduced to the point where more children are born with deformities than without then our species will inevitably become extinct.

Some would argue that with the addition of new genes from people in countries who have never previously migrated then we are, in fact, increasing the overall gene pool, which is true, however, with a finite amount of humans on the planet each carrying a finite set of chromosomes, it is simply a matter of time before all of these people are genetically related with no new additions to add further to the mix. So where we may enjoy an explosion of population diversity for a while, it will only be for a comparitively short while in Astrogenetic terms.

Which is why I don't believe humans will ever travel to distant galaxies unless we can find a way to travel in non-linear direction at speeds greater than time itself.

By *-and-KCouple  over a year ago

Back of Beyond

[Removed by poster at 09/08/10 10:17:40]

tch any excuse

"Put it this way. If you could travel at 25,000 miles per hour it would take you 7,581,395 years to reach T Pyxidis. I think we're safe enough for a while lol

3.83720930235581395488372093023 billion years. "

How do they know for sure though? Someone might have pressed the wrong buttons on a calculator and it could be next easter

By *ensualfire88Man  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"The only problem to all this darting about the universe is that if we were to try and travel to Star R136a1 we would need a spaceship of such an immense size that it could carry enough people who could reproduce offspring who would learn how to fly the ship and then create offspring themselves to fly it after they have died. To produce 152mn generations without genetic mutations because of a limited gene pool would take millions of people all producing 2 children and then insuring that each child produced more children with people OTHER than those genetically related to them.

~

Meanwhile, here on Earth, with the amount of people migrating from one country to the next we are, in fact, contributing to our own extinction. People migrating will invariably begin to breed in their new habitats which leads to a dilution of the overall gene pool and if our gene pool is reduced to the point where more children are born with deformities than without then our species will inevitably become extinct.

Some would argue that with the addition of new genes from people in countries who have never previously migrated then we are, in fact, increasing the overall gene pool, which is true, however, with a finite amount of humans on the planet each carrying a finite set of chromosomes, it is simply a matter of time before all of these people are genetically related with no new additions to add further to the mix. So where we may enjoy an explosion of population diversity for a while, it will only be for a comparitively short while in Astrogenetic terms.

Which is why I don't believe humans will ever travel to distant galaxies unless we can find a way to travel in non-linear direction at speeds greater than time itself."

And i thought it was ME who needed to get out more...

right, I am eating my choccy eggs now then

"right, I am eating my choccy eggs now then "

Its a good excuse isn't it

"

And i thought it was ME who needed to get out more...

"

Me too. Only trouble with me getting out is I never know which part of the universe I'll resurface in.

By *uton_coupleCouple  over a year ago

luton

theres a lot of discussion on this thread about the speed of light , and the fact something is so far away it cannot harm us

there have been a number of breakthroughs since einsteins theory of relativity

the string theory , and the theory of everything to name but a few

there is also many possibilitys of travelling vast distances using black holes , and worm holes , the latter being a bend in the time space emporium

i have ( rather modestly ) been doing some experimentation with a prototype warp drive engine that i have made a few test flights with

although the vauxhall victor estate did seem to vibrate alarmingly , the speed of light was exeeded on a number of occasions

the main glich at the moment is the fact that the headlight beams , instead of lighting your path , trail behind like streamers and can be seen in the rearveiw mirror flapping like coat tails

so to push it past the warp factor 5 is being rather reckless to say the least!

in short i feel that to sit back and relax thinking these huge explosions are too far away to harm us might very well be a little premature

Is the time space emporium where you bought the components to convert the Vauxhall Victor from 4 star to interstellar drive?

By *ushroom7Man  over a year ago

Bradford

"Is the time space emporium where you bought the components to convert the Vauxhall Victor from 4 star to interstellar drive?"

Is the car Pink, floyd?

Bradford

The other thought of course is that we will never reach T Pyxidis or R136a1 if the spaceship ( large to wishy's spec ) gets hijacked as often as these theads do.

Anyway, why dont we just get Mally to provide the pedal power, T Pyxidis here we come.

Jeremy Clarkson will still get the blame

By *undebigaryMan  over a year ago

dundee

"It is set to self-destruct in an explosion called a supernova” and “It is much closer than previously thought” and “the blast from the thermonuclear explosion could strip away the Earth’s ozone layer!

"

Well i hope not.or at least until i have another good meet.

What I'd like to know is where was Mr fookin Gatso when light came speeding by so recklessly. How do they know that light travels at 186,000 miles per second eh? How? HOW?

Bradford

"What I'd like to know is where was Mr fookin Gatso when light came speeding by so recklessly. How do they know that light travels at 186,000 miles per second eh? How? HOW? "

Only in a vacuum Wishy.

So we dont need the man with his underpants on over his tights to save the day then

By *eviousLiasonsCouple  over a year ago

Travelling

I'll leave a message for my unborn great, great, great, great, great, great, great grandchildren to wear factor 2 million that day. "

FAIL!!!

The issue you have missed compleatly is that P Tyxidis may have gone nova 3259 years ago, and due to the speed of light we have not seen it yet.

F-

Please try harder

"So we dont need the man with his underpants on over his tights to save the day then "

He only started wearing them like that after Wonder Woman's hubby came home early one day and he had to get dressed in a hurry!!

Oh my, I've just read all the posts on this forum and I think my head is going to explo...((((kabooom!!))))!!!!

By *zMaleMan  over a year ago

penzance

Wishey as much as I love ya remind me never to go for a beer with you

I'll leave a message for my unborn great, great, great, great, great, great, great grandchildren to wear factor 2 million that day.

FAIL!!!

The issue you have missed compleatly is that P Tyxidis may have gone nova 3259 years ago, and due to the speed of light we have not seen it yet.

F-

Please try harder"

We would have seen it though cos lil ole Pluto, which is conveniently 5.8bn miles - or 1 light year, from Earth, would have been obliterated only yesterday! And it's still there, zipping along on it's 247.92 year orbit around the Sun.

By *eviousLiasonsCouple  over a year ago

Travelling

FAIL!!!

F-

Please try harder

We would have seen it though cos lil ole Pluto, which is conveniently 5.8bn miles - or 1 light year, from Earth, would have been obliterated only yesterday! And it's still there, zipping along on it's 247.92 year orbit around the Sun.

"

But that's the same mistake.... if Pluto was one light year away ( which it isnt.... Now we wont go into how you over exagerate measurments.... ) again we would not see the effects from Earth for a year. Also, as Pluto has no Ozone layer, it would show no visible effects from the energy wave caused by a nova.

Very poor work.... you are hereby demoted to "Toilet Cleaner"... and we mean the bottle not the job!

FAIL!!!

F-

Please try harder

But that's the same mistake.... if Pluto was one light year away ( which it isnt.... Now we wont go into how you over exagerate measurments.... ) again we would not see the effects from Earth for a year. Also, as Pluto has no Ozone layer, it would show no visible effects from the energy wave caused by a nova.

Very poor work.... you are hereby demoted to "Toilet Cleaner"... and we mean the bottle not the job!"

Pluto is an average of 5,913,520,000 km (39.5AU) from the Sun. Earth is an average of 149,600,000 km (1.0AU) from the sun. This would indicate a distance of over 5.7 billion kilometers or 38.5 AU between the two. However, Pluto's orbit is highly elliptical and varies from 4.4 to 7.4 billion kilometers (30 to 49 AU) from the Sun. And given its 17° inclination to the ecliptic, it would seldom if ever be in a direct line with the Earth and the Sun. However, should Pluto ever be near its closest point to Earth's orbit when the Earth is also near that point, the closest approach between the two would be 4.3 billion kilometers (29 AU).

AU's Between Pluto and Earth

Pluto's average distance from the Sun is 39.4 AU. (An AU is an Astronomical Unit and is defined as the average distance between the center of the Earth and the center of the Sun.) One AU equals 92,955,807 million miles, but Pluto's distance from the Sun ranges from 29.7 to 49.3 AU. So, depending on the orbits of Pluto and Earth, the distance between the two could be anywhere from 28.7 AU (Earth directly between Pluto and Sun when Pluto is closest to the Sun) to 50.3 AU (Earth directly opposite Sun from Pluto when Pluto is farthest from the Sun). However, keep in mind that an AU is an average and that Earth's actual orbit varies anywhere from 91 to 94.5 million miles.

It's all hypothetical anyway cos we're not gonna be blasted by a supernova until our own Sun does it some 5 billion years hence, and then we won't have to wait years to see cos it'll be pretty much instant.

Edinburgh

NONE of this is getting me laid.

"NONE of this is getting me laid."

Maybe the OP was trying for the situation of........The world is going to end, get a shag in quick?

Edinburgh

I'm pretty sure that kind of thing only works in t.v adverts aimed at the youth market.

But i'd be delighted to be proved wrong.

Are you scared baby???

Want some lovin' before the world ends?

» Add a new message to this topic