FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > cloning a mammoth

cloning a mammoth

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Anybody watching this?

I find it quite disturbing myself

personally I think animals who have been extinct for thousands of years should be left alone, I don't get this need play god, if they do bring this animal back what happens to it then? Who takes responsibility for it? Does it live a life in captivity, do they kill it when it's surplus to requirements, it just don't sit well with me, I also don't like the idea they are using elephants in this experiment, taking eggs,, modifying fetuses, implanting clones, just leave well alone

just interested to hear other people's views on this kind of thing

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

You only got to look at what happened to dolly the sheep !!!

"You only got to look at what happened to dolly the sheep !!!"

Fame went to her head

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

I'm watching and find it fascinating...I kinda would like to see a cloned mammoth, but also worry that cloning an extinct animal only to put it in a zoo wouldn't be the best result for the animal...also, I've watched Jurassic Park so that gives me a bit of a problem too

"I'm watching and find it fascinating...I kinda would like to see a cloned mammoth, but also worry that cloning an extinct animal only to put it in a zoo wouldn't be the best result for the animal...also, I've watched Jurassic Park so that gives me a bit of a problem too "

Exactly! My nightmares of dinosaurs roaming the streets could come true

I think that just because we can do something doesn't mean we should, they should put their efforts into preserving those species that are endangered rather than bring back those that died out many moons ago.

By *illbillMan  over a year ago

dublin

Bring back Maggie thatcher

I didn't really enjoy watching a guy have a nibble on it.

"I think that just because we can do something doesn't mean we should, they should put their efforts into preserving those species that are endangered rather than bring back those that died out many moons ago. "

my thoughts exactly some of the stupid things that have been done, just so they can say it can be is quite disturbing

By *avebi48Man  over a year ago

Lordswood

"I think that just because we can do something doesn't mean we should, they should put their efforts into preserving those species that are endangered rather than bring back those that died out many moons ago. "
same with GM, one day we'll tweak a gene and wipe ourselves out no doubt...

Mmmm looking forward to my first roast mammoth!

Very wrong. So many more useful things they should be spending money on.

Sometimes I think they need to clone one of our closest relatives...The Chimpanzee. ..just so we could perhaps rewind and start the whole evolutionary process again for a select small percentage !!

I'm watching it now.... And I'm torn on if they should.. Although as others have said.... If they do.. what creature next.

I remember when Jurassic park came out all the science programs about how they could clone dinosaurs..I found it fascinating but again it was should they.

But maybe the principles they use in cloning this beast can be used in other forms? Cancer research for example?

I'm literally thinking out aloud before the forum hitmen come out from hiding!!

I'd like to see this used for animals that become extinct through man's intervention.

There's no moral ambiguity in science, they just do things because they can.

Everyone knows how Oppenheimer felt after he'd watched his bomb go up and the mushroom cloud rise into the sky and the famous words "I have become death, destroyer of worlds" but in their mind they only create and solve puzzles, what people do with that information they leave to politicians and that's where the problems start...I personally always loved the way he summed it up in a memoir...

There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry … There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. Our political life is also predicated on openness. We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress.

I don't really mind. I think it would be quite fascinating but I don't hold with the argument that often comes out about playing God. Taking that to the extreme, if a surgeon opens you up and takes out your appendix, saving your life, is that playing God, is giving a cancer patient chemo playing God? It's just advances in science, in my view.

We can use the same technology in conservation methods. By using the studies into genomes of closely related cousins of certain species to discover why they failed, we can protect their relatives from the same fate.

Also, some that became extinct were important to their bio systems, so de extinction of them would rebalance and stabilise the ecology. It will also help to restore the genetic variability in certain families.

Plus it's fucking cool to say it's possible.

"There's no moral ambiguity in science, they just do things because they can.

Everyone knows how Oppenheimer felt after he'd watched his bomb go up and the mushroom cloud rise into the sky and the famous words "I have become death, destroyer of worlds" but in their mind they only create and solve puzzles, what people do with that information they leave to politicians and that's where the problems start...I personally always loved the way he summed it up in a memoir...

There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry … There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. Our political life is also predicated on openness. We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress.

"

Literally got hard reading this........

You can come on my next tour!!

"There's no moral ambiguity in science, they just do things because they can.

Literally got hard reading this........

You can come on my next tour!! "

lol thanks... Pub tour!

"I don't really mind. I think it would be quite fascinating but I don't hold with the argument that often comes out about playing God. Taking that to the extreme, if a surgeon opens you up and takes out your appendix, saving your life, is that playing God, is giving a cancer patient chemo playing God? It's just advances in science, in my view. "

to be honest in my opinion yes it is but curing a ill person or animal is not the same as bring back a creature that nature killed off over £40,000 years ago for no other reason than for our entertainment

again just my opinion

I have n idea why I put a pound sign in that last post

"Mmmm looking forward to my first roast mammoth!"

I suppose it's one way to feed the world

"I have n idea why I put a pound sign in that last post "

Your mind had drifted to tusk value...naughty girl !

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

Well, we've all got people who are tricky to buy for at Crimbo. Nearest and dearest, a dodo or a wooly mammoth, those not so close to the heart a T Rex.

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"Well, we've all got people who are tricky to buy for at Crimbo. Nearest and dearest, a dodo or a wooly mammoth, those not so close to the heart a T Rex. "

I would happily buy my ex a T Rex for Christmas. On second thought a pack of Raptors would be better.

"I don't really mind. I think it would be quite fascinating but I don't hold with the argument that often comes out about playing God. Taking that to the extreme, if a surgeon opens you up and takes out your appendix, saving your life, is that playing God, is giving a cancer patient chemo playing God? It's just advances in science, in my view.

to be honest in my opinion yes it is but curing a ill person or animal is not the same as bring back a creature that nature killed off over £40,000 years ago for no other reason than for our entertainment

again just my opinion "

So "nature" killing off thousands of people should go unhindered as well? Bring an extinct form of life back is hardly for entertainment, its to gain knowledge. Knowledge about our history and environment. Its not going in a circus.

By *icentiousCouple  over a year ago

Up on them there hills

Mmm Darwin would have to have a re-think

By *ndecidedMan  over a year ago

London

They should do it, I'd love to see a mammoth. Its not really playing God, its the advance of science. Like IVF, we have the science, why not use it for good instead of harm.

I personally can't wait for them to clone a Neanderthal...

Idk, science keeps a lot of stuff they've wiped out in case they need it (pure plant seeds, viruses etc), suppose they might find something useful from recreating a mammoth- even if it's only the fact that we should focus more on preserving life than destroying it. Tempted to think it will go the other way and people will be more "oh we can recreate anything so it doesn't matter if it dies out".

Wish i could have seen the programme.

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

"I personally can't wait for them to clone a Neanderthal...

"

We already have if my inbox is anything to go by.

"Mmmm looking forward to my first roast mammoth!"

Aint mammoth legs what goes around on a spit in kebab shops?

"I personally can't wait for them to clone a Neanderthal...

We already have if my inbox is anything to go by. "

Haha, made me laugh.

Neanderthals are meant to be more intelligent than humans today though, that's why they want to clone one. (I can't watch big bang theory because i do this with jokes and make sense of them, ruins the experience for me).

» Add a new message to this topic