FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Careers

Careers

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I am in a position to consider a new career . I don't know if I should stick with what I have known for the last .... Years , or go for something completely different!

It's such a huge thing I don't know how to even start to think about what to do !

Any advice welcome

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Think about your strengths

What would be your ideal role.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

make a list of the things that you really enjoy doing not just for work but in every day life too and another list of the things you're really good at.

Have a look at the two and see if there's any career that would combine them

By *horshiperMan  over a year ago

London

"I am in a position to consider a new career . I don't know if I should stick with what I have known for the last .... Years , or go for something completely different!

It's such a huge thing I don't know how to even start to think about what to do !

Any advice welcome "

Follow your heart and live life without regrets. Just make sure you are not doing it for the sake of doing it.

"make a list of the things that you really enjoy doing not just for work but in every day life too and another list of the things you're really good at.

Have a look at the two and see if there's any career that would combine them "

Good idea !

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"make a list of the things that you really enjoy doing not just for work but in every day life too and another list of the things you're really good at.

Have a look at the two and see if there's any career that would combine them

Good idea !"

That's what I did and then decided it was time to retire early

If you're not happy doing what you know and the opportunity is there then go for it, you can always fall back on what you do now if it doesn't work out. Fortune favours the brave as they say

"If you're not happy doing what you know and the opportunity is there then go for it, you can always fall back on what you do now if it doesn't work out. Fortune favours the brave as they say "

I was made redundant in jan so have been taking time being a mum but now starting to think about the future

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"If you're not happy doing what you know and the opportunity is there then go for it, you can always fall back on what you do now if it doesn't work out. Fortune favours the brave as they say

I was made redundant in jan so have been taking time being a mum but now starting to think about the future "

I combined redundancy and early retirement. I'm having a think, updating my skills and looking at doing some temping in the new year. I'm in the fortunate position of not having to rush in to anything and I fancy the idea of trying out various jobs as a temp, I might stick at that working when I want to sort of thing. Could you temp?

"If you're not happy doing what you know and the opportunity is there then go for it, you can always fall back on what you do now if it doesn't work out. Fortune favours the brave as they say

I was made redundant in jan so have been taking time being a mum but now starting to think about the future

I combined redundancy and early retirement. I'm having a think, updating my skills and looking at doing some temping in the new year. I'm in the fortunate position of not having to rush in to anything and I fancy the idea of trying out various jobs as a temp, I might stick at that working when I want to sort of thing. Could you temp? "

That's a possibility but I am pretty shy so I think I would not like it .

Soo much to think about !

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

Just ask what you want to be doing in 5 years time

By *avebi48Man  over a year ago

Lordswood

am starting to do the same, look at what else is out there and make a change. Problem will be making enough to cover living costs if you end up starting over from the bottom.

Good luck with yours, advice from everyone is pretty much spot on. Just tough it out when applying as many won't reply unless they are advertising a position (bit like on here lol)

Same position, work in my field is limited due to Government reforms. If current company goes belly up as is likely then likely to have to move to find work then not guaranteed. Worked in it 8 years, earning good pay.

Other option is to retrain, take about £35k pay cut whilst training and start all over again in a field which itself is oversubscribed but will always have work. It keeps you awake at night

If you have an idea what kind of work you might like to do there are plenty of forums online where you can talk to people in that line of work and get a feel for what the job is really like. Sounds like the world is your oyster, take your time and do your research

» Add a new message to this topic