FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Passing broken down or standed vehicles

Passing broken down or standed vehicles

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *at69drive OP   Man  over a year ago

Hertford

If I am passing a broken down or stranded vehicle on either a dual carriage way or motorway I also pull over into lane 2 in case someone is working underneath the vehicle or I in the case of an accident people are walking around confused . Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this issue .

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

It's best to put the dazed and confused into the howdah on the back of the hard shoulder elephant.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"If I am passing a broken down or stranded vehicle on either a dual carriage way or motorway I also pull over into lane 2 in case someone is working underneath the vehicle or I in the case of an accident people are walking around confused . Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this issue ."

If it's clear and safe to do so I do the same.

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

great news

Just coming home from work just now, I saw a car with a puncture just off a roundabout, it was a lady around my age, and it's chucking it down with rain. I pulled over and offered to change it, she sat in my car as I changed her wheel getting drenched, job done, she gets in her car without a please thank you kiss my arse !! Now I didn't expect anything from this lady, but a thanks for your help may have been nice !! I won't do it again !!

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

incredible some peoples lack of manners !

I did the same in the tesco garage the other day, a young girl was struggling in the rain to change her tyre, I told her to wait inside and did it for her. A little bit of goodness goes a long way I think.

"Just coming home from work just now, I saw a car with a puncture just off a roundabout, it was a lady around my age, and it's chucking it down with rain. I pulled over and offered to change it, she sat in my car as I changed her wheel getting drenched, job done, she gets in her car without a please thank you kiss my arse !! Now I didn't expect anything from this lady, but a thanks for your help may have been nice !! I won't do it again !!"

How rude !!!!! That was a lovely thing to do

By *avebi48Man  over a year ago

Lordswood

at least a thank you should have been offered. Stopped one eve to help a lady who needed a jump start. Once we got the car running she thanked me and pulled out a nice cake as a thank you gift. Was an unexpected surprise

I didn't expect anything in all honesty - but common courtesy suggests thank you is in order !!! Damned rude !!

A good few years ago I helped out a guy who had run out of petrol in a 5 series bmw, I pushed his car a good 200 yards to the garage while he sat in the car and steered, I walked back to my own car which was a beat up old diahatsu charade and pulled into the forecourt. He offered to pay for my £2 worth of fuel and sweets (I was 17) but I declined his offer. I was penniless at the time but refused because acts of kindness should be just that not to be rewarded, I've always stood by that, it makes you feel much better with yourself I think and also I think it restores some faith in humanity

I agree it should make you feel better about yourself, but with women like I encountered this afternoon it makes you think twice about helping again which is a shame.

"I agree it should make you feel better about yourself, but with women like I encountered this afternoon it makes you think twice about helping again which is a shame."

Next time you get the chance i'd still help out, I'm sure you'd get a different response, most people would be very appreciative of acts of kindness, personally I could never pass by if I thought someone needed a hand, and if it came to it I'm sure you'd do the same next time.

Your probably right !!! Freaking annoying to get so damned wet though !!

So what your all saying is.. If someone is lying spread eagled out on the road your courteous enough to drive round them? Lol, how about helping them?

"So what your all saying is.. If someone is lying spread eagled out on the road your courteous enough to drive round them? Lol, how about helping them?"

Unless you're in a 4x4 in which case you could just drive straight over them without causing any damage

"So what your all saying is.. If someone is lying spread eagled out on the road your courteous enough to drive round them? Lol, how about helping them? Unless you're in a 4x4 in which case you could just drive straight over them without causing any damage "
pmsl..

Once i ran out of fuel about 10 years ago. It was dark and about 9 at night or so. I started walking with a petrol can i had in my boot. To my surprise a lady on het own stopped in her car and gave me a run to the garage and back to my car! I was so grateful. I could have been a nutter or anything.

So if i see someone in bother i usually stop to check they are ok

By *at69drive OP   Man  over a year ago

Hertford

"Just coming home from work just now, I saw a car with a puncture just off a roundabout, it was a lady around my age, and it's chucking it down with rain. I pulled over and offered to change it, she sat in my car as I changed her wheel getting drenched, job done, she gets in her car without a please thank you kiss my arse !! Now I didn't expect anything from this lady, but a thanks for your help may have been nice !! I won't do it again !!"
. Well done . At. least you are a true gentleman. I have stopped to assist in the past but a bit more concerned with the safety aspects now. Last time I helped a lady stuck at traffic lights I asked her to sit in the car as we pushed it to a safer spot. Instead of listening she stood alongside the car which was about to gather up speed . After shouting at her she jumped in and applied the brakes just before it was about to hit another car. Don't think she even said thank you to any of us. Another time I pushed I car onto the hard shoulder of the A40 and asked the car in the middle lane to keep the second lane blocked onto I was safely back in my car. Instead of doing so he drove off as soon as the stranded vehicle was on the hard shoulder meaning that I could not enter my vehicle via the drivers door as all traffic in lane 2 was now moving and entering via the passenger door was not very safe either as traffic was joining, via the slip road . I now assume all motorists are members of a breakdown organisation and leave assistance to them as they have all the relevant safety gear.

By *xpresMan  over a year ago

Elland

[Removed by poster at 24/11/14 03:48:39]

By *xpresMan  over a year ago

Elland

I used to be a heavy recovery mechanic, part of the recovery process is removing the "propshaft" one of my last jobs I was removing it just got out from underneath the truck as it was hit by another vehicle a merc sprinter van if it was hit by another truck I'd have been totally fucked

By *adyGardenWoman  over a year ago

LONDON (se)

"So what your all saying is.. If someone is lying spread eagled out on the road your courteous enough to drive round them? Lol, how about helping them?"

I don't believe anyone said anything even remotely like that.

Have you read something no one else has

On my (Fox) way home from work and while ago I passed a car on the hard shoulder on the A3 and caught a brief glimpse of an old woman.

It bothered me so I went up to the next exit came back down and stopped behind her.

She had been stood there for over half an hour, no mobile phone and just waiting for someone to stop and help, she had misfueled.

I let her use my mobile and she rang her daughter who sorted it all out for her.

More recently I was on collections, from letterboxes, and in the town spotted an old woman leaning on a lamppost looking distressed but there were other pedestrians around her,I emptied my van and went looking for her and sure enough she had barely gone ten feet,I spoke to her and it became clear she had Alzheimer's and had a small disk around her neck so I took her home which wasn't far.

Both have me that glow of good job done.

now you see im fiercely independant - i change my own tyres and wouldnt let someone i didnt know butt in

She could have been in shock

Sarah x

"If I am passing a broken down or stranded vehicle on either a dual carriage way or motorway I also pull over into lane 2 in case someone is working underneath the vehicle or I in the case of an accident people are walking around confused . Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this issue ."
Same here. Had a couple of near misses in the past so started doing this a few years ago.

G

» Add a new message to this topic