FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Money Creation and Society

Money Creation and Society

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *itz OP   Woman  over a year ago

south wales

Yesterday MP's debated the issue of money creation and society for the first time in well over a hundred years. I found the debate intensly interesting, although I have only watched the first few hours of the broadcast so far.

The parliamentary debate can be watched on the official government website for parliament here........

http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/backbench-business-committee/news/mps-debate-money-creation-and-society/

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Is funny when you watch those committees and parliament.

It's just so fucking stuffy and slow.

I'm guessing after 2 hours you didn't manage to find out, how much are they gonna create and who gets it?.

Also funny with all this sidetracking of ukip is figures showing borrowing up!!.

And with all this austerity their still finding 3 billion to repair parliament so a bunch of old toffs who all went to school together can fall asleep in between bribes.

I'm guessing that news wasn't on the official parliament TV channel

south wales

[Removed by poster at 21/11/14 20:35:57]

south wales

It was a back bench discussion opened by Steve Baker, Conservative MP for Wycombe. It has not been reported in the media as far as I am aware and I stumbled upon it by accident.

The point was put by him that the current economical system in the UK and other countries is broken, that banking in its current form (not just rogue banking) is fraudulent. He said "the methods of money production in society today are profoundly corrupting in ways which would matter to everyone if they were clearly understood. The essence of this debate is who should be allowed to create money, how and at who's risk". He explained that banks, not just the Bank of England, create money, not by actually printing coins and notes, but by numbers - on paper if you like. The Bank of England create money in order to atttain a certain interest rate, but the other banks create it for their own gains. He said "Whenever a bank makes a loan it simultaneously creates a matching deposit in the borrowers account, thereby creating money." It is termed fractional reserve banking, where the bank doesnt have the money to lend in the first place, the money does not exist. He said it is this system that facilitates the money going from the poor to the rich.

It was then discussed where most of this created money is spent. Only 8% of the money that is created by banks, including the money printed by the Bank of England, is loaned to businesses in this country. Another 8% goes to personal loans and credit cards. The rest goes back to the finacial services themselves, in the form of mortgages and suchlike. But it is for us, the tax payer to bail them out when they run into difficulty. Banks accountability, lack of governement control and different solutions were discussed.

I cant explain everything from yesterdays discussion, and i have not got a good grasp of economics, but that is true of most of us, at all levels including parliament, and is part of the problem.

There were not many members in the house for the discussion due to the Rochester Bi-election but to me it seems like a start and there will be many more discussions surrounding these issues in the future. An intersting watch.

south wales

The economy is made up of 97% bank issued loans (debt) and the other 3% is cash.

"Commercial (i.e. highstreet) banks create money, in the form of bank deposits, by making new loans. When a bank makes a loan, for example to someone taking out a mortgage to buy a house, it does not typically do so by giving them thousands of pounds worth of bank notes. Instead, it credits their bank account with a bank deposit of the size of the mortgage. At that moment, new money is created."

'Money creation in the modern economy' - Bank of England Report, March 2014

» Add a new message to this topic