FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Oppositional Defiant Disorder ("ODD")

Oppositional Defiant Disorder ("ODD")

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Has anyone got any experience of this? Is it a trendy term for stroppy teenager or is there more to it. I am trying to deal with a difficult boy who is having trouble at school and home.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

I don't know anyone who hasn't been through the stroppy teenager stage with their children and I wasn't aware there was a name for it, just that it happens or even depending on how bad they are

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Having read a description of it on a website....stroppy teenagers do all the things mentioned.

"I don't know anyone who hasn't been through the stroppy teenager stage with their children and I wasn't aware there was a name for it, just that it happens or even depending on how bad they are

"

that's my view, unfortunately his parents are being told he also has mild ADHD and they should consider medication. I think the big issue is the boy has a very strained relationship with his father and his rebelliousness is a way of getting the attention from him that is sadly lacking. He is a nice kid but troubled.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Do 'they' really have to have a label for everything. Surely its just hormonal and everyone goes through a stroppy teenage time. I know I did!

"Do 'they' really have to have a label for everything. Surely its just hormonal and everyone goes through a stroppy teenage time. I know I did! "

I think we all did.

"Do 'they' really have to have a label for everything. Surely its just hormonal and everyone goes through a stroppy teenage time. I know I did!

I think we all did. "

Did you realise it was a disorder and not just part of growing up?

"Do 'they' really have to have a label for everything. Surely its just hormonal and everyone goes through a stroppy teenage time. I know I did!

I think we all did. "

I was an angel apparently . But I'm making up for it now.

By *opping_candyWoman  over a year ago

West Yorkshire

I was a great teenager. No trouble at all. Til I was 16 and then I got up to all sorts but my parents still thought I was a good girl cos I was very sneaky

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

ODD is different from the normal teenage rebelliousness and it's a recognized psychiatric diagnosable disorder. And if you don't agree.....

Just because it was once upon a time seen as just being a stroppy teen doesn't mean in some cases there is more To it.

Mental health and behavioral disorders are Still being worked out... I mean look at how some were deemed possessed rather than ill in the past..

It isn't always the case but some children do have something more than just rebellious teen issues going on... But it's hard to work out which x

By *opping_candyWoman  over a year ago

West Yorkshire

"ODD is different from the normal teenage rebelliousness and it's a recognized psychiatric diagnosable disorder. And if you don't agree....."

Why are you always like this, urgh, go away, don't even talk to me *slams door *

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"ODD is different from the normal teenage rebelliousness and it's a recognized psychiatric diagnosable disorder. And if you don't agree.....

Why are you always like this, urgh, go away, don't even talk to me *slams door *"

You forgot " IT'S NOT FAIR !!! "

"ODD is different from the normal teenage rebelliousness and it's a recognized psychiatric diagnosable disorder. And if you don't agree.....

Why are you always like this, urgh, go away, don't even talk to me *slams door *

You forgot " IT'S NOT FAIR !!! ""

I had that off one of mine the other day.... They couldn't understand why I found it hilarious x

Forum Mod

O o O oo

it is the one that made me laugh the most, which didn't normally help as me laughing normally ended with them slamming doors

They laugh about it now though

"I don't know anyone who hasn't been through the stroppy teenager stage with their children and I wasn't aware there was a name for it, just that it happens or even depending on how bad they are

that's my view, unfortunately his parents are being told he also has mild ADHD and they should consider medication. I think the big issue is the boy has a very strained relationship with his father and his rebelliousness is a way of getting the attention from him that is sadly lacking. He is a nice kid but troubled."

ADD/ADHD are neurological disorders, this means the neural system isn't wired up properly and isn't a mental health disorder specifically. So if they consider he has this then it is not just stropping, he actually can't help being the way he is and normal parenting techniques won't help with this.

Of course having any disability can make you prone to mental disorders (especially depression, but aggression could also be a part of this).

ODD hasn't been found to be a neural disorder (that i know of), so is a psychiatric problem. And typically the person with ODD is oppositional to authority figures. Take a read of this but i'm sure his parents have found all the info they can, maybe bot got all the help they could be entitled to? Some schools are just crap at dealing with special needs and maybe they could look at sending him to a better school? Only advice i have, changed schools for my son myself coz his normal school was crap.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2008/1001/p861.html

[Removed by poster at 18/11/14 18:12:25]

By *bony in IvoryCouple  over a year ago

Black&White Utopia

GHS: galloping hormone syndrome... That horrible time where you ask something , ya interfearing... If you don't ask or comment ya don't care! Really can't win .... The Joys of parenthood!

It isn't my son but someone I have known for some years. He has changed in the past couple of years and his Mother in particular is struggling. His Father seems to show little or no interest and that is where I think the main problem is. But the experts are suggesting he does exhibit some ADHD and ODD symptoms and want to try medication. The Mother is very unsure and I share her concerns. A tricky situation in which I hope I can be of some help, but am currently viewed as a figure in authority so it is difficult at present.

ODD is a form of attachment disorder as far as I'm aware and it's usually down to incredibly extreme parenting ie. abuse.

My son has pathological demand avoidance which seems very similar to ODD on the surface, but is a form of autism so it has a totally different cause.

If it's PDA, both the parents and the school need to work together to use PDA friendly strategies. It's a very, very difficult disorder to manage and makes Aspergers look like a walk in the park a lot of the time.

How old is the child?

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman  over a year ago

Deviant City

my son was diagnosed at age 4, but more or less grew out of it by age 12. School always insisted he was ADHD, but pediatrician said he was only borderline.

Must say, that he is a wonderful 15 year old now, very independent and helpful around the house.

She should really get one of the experts to sit down with her and explain (in terms she will understand) why they think he has ADHD. This will help her figure out for herself if he has got it or not.

And she is right to have concerns because mental health is very hard to diagnose, symptoms of illnesses tend to overlap with different illnesses. I'm guessing the ODD will be a proper diagnosis because that's hard confuse.

He is 13 going on 14 - I personally feel he would benefit from some counselling before going down the medication route, he is incredibly insular but the term still waters run deep could have been written for him.

Medication should never be used lightly because it can have some nasty side effects. However, it can really help and completely change someone's life (and that of the family) if the right drug and dosage are found. Also, there are lots of things people can do to help him. Biggest tip is to try not to get into confrontations with him. Give him as choices and always give him a way out so he doesn't feel the need to use physical behaviour to get his way

"He is 13 going on 14 - I personally feel he would benefit from some counselling before going down the medication route, he is incredibly insular but the term still waters run deep could have been written for him."

Ahh. It could be Aspergers? Often aspie kids tend to get significantly better or worse as they hit their teenage years (hormones!) which is why I asked his age.

It could be that he's always had aspergers traits but they have been subtly hidden and he's appeared to cope. Throw in some hormones and the social challenges of secondary school and it can all go horribly wrong.

Aspergers and pathological demand avoidance are both forms of autism. So the ODD description would fit. As would the "still waters run deep" description fit with autism.

ADHD and aspergers/autism share a genetic overlap so again it could fit.

My Aspergers son looks like he has ADHD sometimes. He can be very hyper but it's really driven by sensory overload. Right now he is diving and crashing off his bed over and over, doing forward rolls, crawling around and screeching animal noises. Winding down from the stresses of the day. He is also very very distractable. Again this is his autism, he doesn't have ADHD.

Get the parents to look at this:

http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/sensory-processing-disorder-checklist.html

It could prove invaluable.

Finally it could well be his dad who has autistic traits as well? That might be why he's not getting involved?

My kids get their autism from me. I'm socially awkward and struggle with social cues. Plus I'm a huge logical thinker and talk too much only about what interests me. I struggle to see what other people may be thinking. And I'm very inflexible in my thinking. Loads of autistic traits!

Getting a diagnosis can be a real fight though. And it's difficult to come to terms with it as a parent initially.

But worth looking into as there's lots of things that can be done to help him cope with the traumas of every day life. Secondary school tends to be one of the most difficult places to cope with for a child on the autistic spectrum.

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

Good luck .. Maybe he'll grow out of this ..

Three teenagers here good luck

» Add a new message to this topic