FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > National Service

National Service

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Would it be a step in the right direction towards making Britain, great again to reintroduce national service?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ough75Man  over a year ago

edinburgh/bakewell/derby

Last thing the army wants or needs is short termers who don't want to be there

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Haha no can ye imagine soldiers & police trying to take scally's chavz neds ect & force them to fight for "Britain" psh no way I wouldn't fight for it or the not so royal family, answer is HELL NAW

By *uppy ConquerorMan  over a year ago

dundee

Would probably just entice our politicians to start more wars. Think a better idea to make Britain great again, would be to reintroduce free university places and make sure people are paid a living wage.

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

Yes. Take a lot of disinterested, unruly teens and teach them how to kill. Jolly good idea.

I prob would not want to go to war with anyone that is not like a brother to me.

There may be a place for them, a certain platoon for conscripts or something and you may get 10-20 % that would excel, the rest may do their time then move on.

I have trained every walk of life in the army and the marines since 1987 so I have a pretty good handle on things, never say never just don't give them a loaded rifle just yet lol

By *U1966Man  over a year ago

Devon

A national service could be in cleaning up the country and helping out where needed in the local community doesn't

need to be in the armed services

"A national service could be in cleaning up the country and helping out where needed in the local community doesn't

"

Yep exactly right, all types of ways to employ them.

"Yes. Take a lot of disinterested, unruly teens and teach them how to kill. Jolly good idea. "

A very small percentage of personnel are trained in anything but basic combat. The others are provided with a skills set, be it engineering, mechanics or even medical skills.

Surely if people haven't got a job by the time they reach a certain age this may assist ? Teaching them skills, team work, respect and discipline may help those who have struggled to find anything and possibly face a lifetime of low self esteem and lack of ambition.

I don't advocate service for everyone, but yes I do for those who have no employment by a set period of time from leaving education.

The armed services are not all about combat.Despite popular perception and bravado, very few experience combat. Which is a good thing.

By *illsmMan  over a year ago

Boston

[Removed by poster at 18/11/14 07:44:32]

By *illsmMan  over a year ago

Boston

"A national service could be in cleaning up the country and helping out where needed in the local community doesn't

"

"Yes. Take a lot of disinterested, unruly teens and teach them how to kill. Jolly good idea.

A very small percentage of personnel are trained in anything but basic combat. The others are provided with a skills set, be it engineering, mechanics or even medical skills.

Surely if people haven't got a job by the time they reach a certain age this may assist ? Teaching them skills, team work, respect and discipline may help those who have struggled to find anything and possibly face a lifetime of low self esteem and lack of ambition.

I don't advocate service for everyone, but yes I do for those who have no employment by a set period of time from leaving education.

The armed services are not all about combat.Despite popular perception and bravado, very few experience combat. Which is a good thing. "

Well said vista, you hit the nail on the head, I could be here all day as have lots to say on the matter. I have been put in countries to make things better, then pulled away and let them get on with killing each other when the government decides or gets bored ( northern Iraq, the Kurds in 1992, now look what's happening)

As I was saying well said my man

"Would it be a step in the right direction towards making Britain, great again to reintroduce national service? "

No national service would of fucked my plans right up. I wouldn't be where I am today if I had to serve X amount of years presumably starting at 16/18

No reason you should be there at that age or at all. If you have employment and established yourself in life you wouldn't need to.

If however after say 3 years of leaving education and you have no job it might be a prospect ?

Fuck no. I joined up at 16. If someone would have tried to conscript me at 18, I would have spent the whole period in the glasshouse. I will NOT be pressganged into taking up arms or helping out the armed forces.

By the way, how do you expect to pay for wages, billeting, uniform, national insurance, and the initial cost of building the army camps. Don't say you can use the old ones. They aren't there.

"Last thing the army wants or needs is short termers who don't want to be there"

They are laying off the armed services as it is. The last thing we need is more money wasted.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Fuck no. I joined up at 16. If someone would have tried to conscript me at 18, I would have spent the whole period in the glasshouse. I will NOT be pressganged into taking up arms or helping out the armed forces.

By the way, how do you expect to pay for wages, billeting, uniform, national insurance, and the initial cost of building the army camps. Don't say you can use the old ones. They aren't there."

As with so many of these ideas the actual details aren't taken into consideration.

National service,no, community service , definitely. Not just for the youth, but for all.

By *izzy RascallMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

I used to think they should bring it back.

I worry now though as it would just be like 'there you go, deployed in service'.

Also you'd be teaching some of the wrong people self defence etc

I think it would be a good idea for some of today's youth. A three strikes and you're in the army for two years rule for under 21's. It would be the making of a lot of them, discipline, comradery and a purpose in life would go a long way to straighten a few out. That's my two penneth worth anyway.

From the messages i've received from the 18-30 age bracket both on this site and on traditional dating sites, I honestly think the nation's money would be far better spent trying to teach them basic literacy, spelling, punctuation, grammar etc - And how to string a sentence together without text-speak!

If the young guys who message me are typical of this country's current generation - we're screwed!!

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I think it would be a good idea for some of today's youth. A three strikes and you're in the army for two years rule for under 21's. It would be the making of a lot of them, discipline, comradery and a purpose in life would go a long way to straighten a few out. That's my two penneth worth anyway."

What are the criteria for the three strikes

and what makes you think that the army

us equipped to rehabilitate wayward youths?

"I think it would be a good idea for some of today's youth. A three strikes and you're in the army for two years rule for under 21's. It would be the making of a lot of them, discipline, comradery and a purpose in life would go a long way to straighten a few out. That's my two penneth worth anyway."

Actually, all it would do is piss them off so much they dig their heels in and just cause as much bother as possible. People nowadays will not touch their forelock and bow to the officer class. They will tell them to fuck off and deck them.

"From the messages i've received from the 18-30 age bracket both on this site and on traditional dating sites, I honestly think the nation's money would be far better spent trying to teach them basic literacy, spelling, punctuation, grammar etc - And how to string a sentence together without text-speak!

If the young guys who message me are typical of this country's current generation - we're screwed!! "

And plenty of women!

Can anyone see women agreeing to conscription?

"I think it would be a good idea for some of today's youth. A three strikes and you're in the army for two years rule for under 21's. It would be the making of a lot of them, discipline, comradery and a purpose in life would go a long way to straighten a few out. That's my two penneth worth anyway.

us equipped to rehabilitate wayward youths? "

Three strikes as in convictions and the army are better equipped and would do a better job than some parents I've seen who allow their kids to have free reign to do as they please

"I think it would be a good idea for some of today's youth. A three strikes and you're in the army for two years rule for under 21's. It would be the making of a lot of them, discipline, comradery and a purpose in life would go a long way to straighten a few out. That's my two penneth worth anyway.

Actually, all it would do is piss them off so much they dig their heels in and just cause as much bother as possible. People nowadays will not touch their forelock and bow to the officer class. They will tell them to fuck off and deck them."

Obviously you'd get a few like that but I do think that it would be the making of most, we are all allowed an opinion arn't we

Not in the army your not.

"Not in the army your not."

Good, it'd teach a few of these wayward teenagers to keep their moths shut and do as their told, good point

Actually, all it would do is piss them off so much they dig their heels in and just cause as much bother as possible. People nowadays will not touch their forelock and bow to the officer class. They will tell them to fuck off and deck them."

Forum Mod

East Sussex

us equipped to rehabilitate wayward youths?

Three strikes as in convictions and the army are better equipped and would do a better job than some parents I've seen who allow their kids to have free reign to do as they please"

Ok. You have observed some crap parenting, I think we all have but I don't know how the army will do a better job if they don't get kids until 16 or 18 or how they are equipped to take the place of parents.

I agree some youngsters could benefit from structure and discipline I'm not sure we should be looking to the armed forces to provide it.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Lots of people have a very low opinion of youth.

"Lots of people have a very low opinion of youth. "

Our youth are no better or worse than anyone else's. Our media on the other hand....

"Not in the army your not.

Good, it'd teach a few of these wayward teenagers to keep their moths shut and do as their told, good point "

But it won't, that's the point.

Not at all, that's where the 3 strikes rule comes in, catch them before they spiral into a life of crime.

Yes for good reason, they aren't all bad though anyone knows that.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Lots of people have a very low opinion of youth.

Our youth are no better or worse than anyone else's. Our media on the other hand...."

Yep! Although we don't have to believe the media thats where independent thinking comes in.

Our youth are no better or worse than anyone else's. Our media on the other hand....

Yep! Although we don't have to believe the media thats where independent thinking comes in."

Depends if you read the guardian and belive everything you hear on the bbc news.

Good, it'd teach a few of these wayward teenagers to keep their moths shut and do as their told, good point

But it won't, that's the point. "

It won't now as you can't get hands on, only P company and Commando Cse can you do a bit more.

When I was 16 in the army it was a smack from the sgt and crack on.

Maybe not the solution but I always learnt my lesson, if you did it now they would want compensation and go crying about it. ( most would anyway)

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Not at all, that's where the 3 strikes rule comes in, catch them before they spiral into a life of crime. "

I rarely see people celebrating the majority of young people who aren't in danger of spiralling into a life of crime. The ones already in the armed forces, the ones working to fund their studies, young carers, ordinary youngsters just making their way in the world.....the non newsworthy kind.

Yep! Although we don't have to believe the media thats where independent thinking comes in."

Some people are not capable of independant thought and analysis. That is what Rupert Murdoch is for!

Making anyone do what they don't want to do is a recipe for failure.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Yep! Although we don't have to believe the media thats where independent thinking comes in.

Depends if you read the guardian and belive everything you hear on the bbc news."

If you're capable of independent thinking you won't trust what any of the media tells you without thinking about it first.

By *rystal denisonWoman  over a year ago

trowbridge

national service would be a good idea but there is no way they would / could send them to a war zone lol they cud easily just leave them in the uk doing office jobs

Not at all, that's where the 3 strikes rule comes in, catch them before they spiral into a life of crime.

I rarely see people celebrating the majority of young people who aren't in danger of spiralling into a life of crime. The ones already in the armed forces, the ones working to fund their studies, young carers, ordinary youngsters just making their way in the world.....the non newsworthy kind."

Well I hear about them all the time, maybe not news worthy because that's how young people are supposed to be.

So its no big deal.

"From the messages i've received from the 18-30 age bracket both on this site and on traditional dating sites, I honestly think the nation's money would be far better spent trying to teach them basic literacy, spelling, punctuation, grammar etc - And how to string a sentence together without text-speak!

If the young guys who message me are typical of this country's current generation - we're screwed!! "

Actually, many of them are illiterate you're quite rugged, but they are introduced to education and other skills.

As outlined earlier tthe is a cost and I don't have all the answers but we are paying for those people now to do things anyway ?

I will emphasise again...I don't advocate automatic national service. ..but if you left education for a period of say 4 years and haven't been employed then I think it's an idea worth exploring.

It won't now as you can't get hands on, only P company and Commando Cse can you do a bit more.

Maybe not the solution but I always learnt my lesson, if you did it now they would want compensation and go crying about it. ( most would anyway)

"

Try that nowadays, the compo paid out would bankrupt the mod. I joined at 16 in 1987. Any NCO or officer hit me and they go up on a charge, after I have had a pop back at them.

"national service would be a good idea but there is no way they would / could send them to a war zone lol they cud easily just leave them in the uk doing office jobs "

So where do all these "jobs" come from? And if they ARE there, why do we need conscription?

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

Daftest idea since the last daftest idea. The majority of todays youth are no worse than any other generations youth. You go back as far as you like in history and you'll find complaints about teenagers. Funding training, university or apprenticeships would seem to be more productive.

Try that nowadays, the compo paid out would bankrupt the mod. I joined at 16 in 1987. Any NCO or officer hit me and they go up on a charge, after I have had a pop back at them."

We joined at the same time, unfortunately mental and physical robustness is lacking accross the board. ( Sign of the times, I resigned due to this very reason) and I deserved the wack I was crap at doing bed blocks, but made up for it on the phys.

I don't want people working with me who don't want to be there. It's bad enough trying to get the young guys here now to screw the nut!!

Maybe a National Community Service for repeat offenders?? Take the military model, but with no weapons and have them doing community projects. Perks would be a roof over their heads, meals, uniform, equipment, and a basic pay. Get the military in to give courses on Leadership, looking after kit, fitness, discipline etc have a structured system for rank. If they excell then promote etc. but all the work they do will be for their local communities.

If they enjoy it give them the opportunity to transfer across to the military, but if not then they can leave having paid their debt to the house.

Hated bed blocks! Preferred to make it up properly with proper corners. Couldn't bull boots to save my life. I swapped two lads ironing for a boot each. Ironing..mmthats what the army taught me. And how to strip an slr.

"Hated bed blocks! Preferred to make it up properly with proper corners. Couldn't bull boots to save my life. I swapped two lads ironing for a boot each. Ironing..mmthats what the army taught me. And how to strip an slr."

"I don't want people working with me who don't want to be there. It's bad enough trying to get the young guys here now to screw the nut!!

Maybe a National Community Service for repeat offenders?? Take the military model, but with no weapons and have them doing community projects. Perks would be a roof over their heads, meals, uniform, equipment, and a basic pay. Get the military in to give courses on Leadership, looking after kit, fitness, discipline etc have a structured system for rank. If they excell then promote etc. but all the work they do will be for their local communities.

If they enjoy it give them the opportunity to transfer across to the military, but if not then they can leave having paid their debt to the house. "

By *its_n_piecesCouple  over a year ago

crap idea

"Last thing the army wants or needs is short termers who don't want to be there"

Yep exactly right, all types of ways to employ them. "

Yes it's amazing that people assume it would have to be military service, the army most definitely wouldn't want them as the army is professional, however councils up and down the country do need them.

"I don't want people working with me who don't want to be there. It's bad enough trying to get the young guys here now to screw the nut!!

If they enjoy it give them the opportunity to transfer across to the military, but if not then they can leave having paid their debt to the house.

"

This exactly and they are bringing a military unit back from Germany soon that would be ideal to oversee it, they are a popular bunch with squadies the RMP

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Yes it's amazing that people assume it would have to be military service, the army most definitely wouldn't want them as the army is professional, however councils up and down the country do need them."

I agree that councils need more staff, how do you propose funding this? Would a certain part of the benefits budget be allocated, how many young offenders are jobless, who would train and supervise these people and where would the money for that and employing the supervisors come from? I don't know the answers to those questions myself.

Funny how when a country is in supposed financial dire straits, that money can be found to create a paramilitary organisation to do jobs around the country that need doing. And yet we are so skint we can't get decent grants to educate the poor or offer them jobs in civilian life.

Sounds like forced labour to me.

Lessons from the great depressions and subsequent wars obviously never learnt. Oh how the wheel becomes it!

Yes it's amazing that people assume it would have to be military service, the army most definitely wouldn't want them as the army is professional, however councils up and down the country do need them.

I agree that councils need more staff, how do you propose funding this? Would a certain part of the benefits budget be allocated, how many young offenders are jobless, who would train and supervise these people and where would the money for that and employing the supervisors come from? I don't know the answers to those questions myself."

There are many military units being brought back from Germany the RMP being one, they would be ideal to train and run such a scheme as they have history dealing with civillian populations, they would offer police streets in garrison towns. They are allocated budgets and are paid anyway so no extra cost incurred there, the money to employ those on national service would in part come from benefit systems and councils assuming they would be making savings from the work being done in addition they would have some sort of self efficiency I.e. farming their own crops and animals for food.

I agree that councils need more staff, how do you propose funding this? Would a certain part of the benefits budget be allocated, how many young offenders are jobless, who would train and supervise these people and where would the money for that and employing the supervisors come from? I don't know the answers to those questions myself.

There are many military units being brought back from Germany the RMP being one, they would be ideal to train and run such a scheme as they have history dealing with civillian populations, they would offer police streets in garrison towns. They are allocated budgets and are paid anyway so no extra cost incurred there, the money to employ those on national service would in part come from benefit systems and councils assuming they would be making savings from the work being done in addition they would have some sort of self efficiency I.e. farming their own crops and animals for food."

It wouldn't be just restricted to young offenders but the General population, it would be about installing discipline and work ethic that is missing these days. Draconian yes but maybe necessary.

[Removed by poster at 18/11/14 11:21:54]

Forum Mod

East Sussex

There are many military units being brought back from Germany the RMP being one, they would be ideal to train and run such a scheme as they have history dealing with civillian populations, they would offer police streets in garrison towns. They are allocated budgets and are paid anyway so no extra cost incurred there, the money to employ those on national service would in part come from benefit systems and councils assuming they would be making savings from the work being done in addition they would have some sort of self efficiency I.e. farming their own crops and animals for food.

It wouldn't be just restricted to young offenders but the General population, it would be about installing discipline and work ethic that is missing these days. Draconian yes but maybe necessary."

I haven't noticed that discipline and work ethic are missing from the younger generation any more than they always have been. What do you base your opinion on?

Incidentally a very high proportion of the young people I know (and I know a lot) work extremely hard often studying during the day and working evenings and weekends, that takes discipline. Others work long hours and some do charity work too, how do you propose your scheme would benefit them?

There are many military units being brought back from Germany the RMP being one, they would be ideal to train and run such a scheme as they have history dealing with civillian populations, they would offer police streets in garrison towns. They are allocated budgets and are paid anyway so no extra cost incurred there, the money to employ those on national service would in part come from benefit systems and councils assuming they would be making savings from the work being done in addition they would have some sort of self efficiency I.e. farming their own crops and animals for food."

So councils provide money by making people unemployed that did the jobs that you suggest the military organisation can do? Er....OK. So those unployed now get conscripted and work doing the jobs they already had, but for less money, and increased admin costs.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I'm sorry but that doesn't really add up. Self sufficiency from farming, where is the land for that coming from and who will pay for it?

Ask yourself this question. What is the real reason national service was done away with? Answer. It cost too much money!

We have an aging population, why not have a dads army as well?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Ask yourself this question. What is the real reason national service was done away with? Answer. It cost too much money!

We have an aging population, why not have a dads army as well?"

yea darn pensioners, make em show a bit of respect

I rarely see people celebrating the majority of young people who aren't in danger of spiralling into a life of crime. The ones already in the armed forces, the ones working to fund their studies, young carers, ordinary youngsters just making their way in the world.....the non newsworthy kind."

I'd agree with you in principal - And don't believe for one minute that the majority of today's youth are thugs - far from it! I do believe their basic education where English is concerned has gone far awry though - and it's on social media sites that this becomes blatantly apparent. I just don't see how we can continue to be a world leader if this educational downward spiral continues! xx

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I rarely see people celebrating the majority of young people who aren't in danger of spiralling into a life of crime. The ones already in the armed forces, the ones working to fund their studies, young carers, ordinary youngsters just making their way in the world.....the non newsworthy kind.

I'd agree with you in principal - And don't believe for one minute that the majority of today's youth are thugs - far from it! I do believe their basic education where English is concerned has gone far awry though - and it's on social media sites that this becomes blatantly apparent. I just don't see how we can continue to be a world leader if this educational downward spiral continues! xx"

I see evidence of poor literacy every day on here from older members, the use of "of" instead of "have", bad spelling, poor grammar, the incorrect use of to and too, I don't think it's that which affects our dubious ability to be world leaders.

Hey what can we expect from our children, that they are honest,hard working and generally nice people.

My 7 year old boy is a sport billy, he is in the national gymnastic championships next month.

He does not like reading bill takes fido to the park and lacks concentration in school. He is a lovely natured boy, but needs people to enthuse him

Am I bothered, not in the slightest he will be just fine. my 3 other children were the same, there all doing just fine.

Let's not read to much into it people.

Why does it have to be military service, why not give the choice of public services, such as nursing or even just cleaning the streets.

Why not 6 months at 16 years of age, won't interrupt their education much and would get them away from the safety of mummy and learn a bit about the world.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

The army is not a dumping ground for the consequences of the myriad of reasons that some of our youth go wayward..

some of which will be mental health issue's or young people who have been through the mill of being pushed about by the system since birth or some will be just plain wrong uns..

resource properly the professional services that may well

address the issues of this small number of 'bad youth', its not within the role map of your average training instructor in basic training..

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Why does it have to be military service, why not give the choice of public services, such as nursing or even just cleaning the streets.

Why not 6 months at 16 years of age, won't interrupt their education much and would get them away from the safety of mummy and learn a bit about the world.

"

do you mean across the board or for those who have gone off the 'straight and narrow'..?

"Why does it have to be military service, why not give the choice of public services, such as nursing or even just cleaning the streets.

do you mean across the board or for those who have gone off the 'straight and narrow'..?"

I mean across the board, I reckon some of these upper/middle class kids could do with a wake up call to how the majority live. Might make them want to do something about it.

Can I be really anal ...everyone mentions the Army being a dumping ground There's also the RAF, Navy and Royal Marines. And many a so called delinquent has gone into the services and come out a fine person.

Everyone talks about unruly people being forced onto service and our terrible youth *don't buy into that) but life is about choices and effort. Work hard to achieve and you may well be rewarded. Sit back making no effort...then don't complain about other people making choices for you when you ask for support.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

do you mean across the board or for those who have gone off the 'straight and narrow'..?

I mean across the board, I reckon some of these upper/middle class kids could do with a wake up call to how the majority live. Might make them want to do something about it."

how would being in the armed forces show them how the "majority" live?

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

"Yes. Take a lot of disinterested, unruly teens and teach them how to kill. Jolly good idea.

The armed services are not all about combat.Despite popular perception and bravado, very few experience combat. Which is a good thing. "

I come from a military family. 4 generations of men in the services going back to my great grandfather who fought in the trenches. Basic training includes training in firearms - in other words, being trained to kill.

"

By *razedcatMan  over a year ago

London / Herts

Why not just ensure people have a good standard of living and a sufficient education, so

a) they look after their community voluntarily, as an intelligent member of society would, and

b) people would no longer have a need to cause disorder or crime, because they're so well looked after by their government and one another.

Forcing service upon people is just going to cause resentment.

In answer to the first post no, it would teach yobs who think they are hard to actually be hard and there for more dangerous. The army is much more technical now than it was back in the days of national service and a bunch of force conscripts square bashing and taking no real interest in training would simply waste the time of the people training them and cost tax payers money we cant afford.

Just look back at the days it existed. The krays for example. Did it make them better people?? HA fuck no.

"Would it be a step in the right direction towards making Britain, great again to reintroduce national service? "

A nice idea but those who wouldn't want to do it would be disruptive as there wuold be no stick to make them.

» Add a new message to this topic