FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Thoughts please?

Thoughts please?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hello all, sorry for the morbid thread folks but I just want your advice please.

My dad passed away and the main cause of his death was Broncho Pneumonia. He also suffered from Emphysema and was on oxygen from 2012 all the time to help with his breathing.

The Autopsy results showed that there was a little bit of Asbestosis in his lungs. He worked for a Company 25-30 years ago and done guttering etc etc but never did we think he had any until now.

My mum tried to do a no win no fee to see if she could get a claim but they said because it wasn't the cause of his death they couldn't do the claim.

So my question is, do you think my mum should give up and move on? I know asbestosis wasn't the cause of death but the fact he still had it by working at that place, if he hadn't then a part of me thinks he'd still be here today.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The lawyers that do these no win no fee things actually want to have the money which is recovered from the other side. They wouldn't tell you no if there was a way of winning, they would be doing everything possible to get a claim/case together.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I think this entirely depends on how its affecting your mum. Is it holding her back from grieving properly (I know there is no set way to grieve)or moving forward or is it helping her to think that there is something she can direct her energy into a channel for her grief if you like. You also have to consider the effects of taking on a case like this, it will be protracted, upsetting and time consuming with no guarantee of a positive outcome.

On balance I would say don't do it but only you know your mum.

Good luck and best wishes in whatever you decide.

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

" I know asbestosis wasn't the cause of death but the fact he still had it by working at that place, if he hadn't then a part of me thinks he'd still be here today. "

If it wasn't the cause of death then I am guessing you cant claim for it?

No amount of money would bring him back though or make it easier to cope with the grief.

"The lawyers that do these no win no fee things actually want to have the money which is recovered from the other side. They wouldn't tell you no if there was a way of winning, they would be doing everything possible to get a claim/case together.

"

By *icefellatwoMan  over a year ago

hastings

"The lawyers that do these no win no fee things actually want to have the money which is recovered from the other side. They wouldn't tell you no if there was a way of winning, they would be doing everything possible to get a claim/case together.

"

i agree if you had a reasonable chance of winning they would have taken the case

"I think this entirely depends on how its affecting your mum. Is it holding her back from grieving properly (I know there is no set way to grieve)or moving forward or is it helping her to think that there is something she can direct her energy into a channel for her grief if you like. You also have to consider the effects of taking on a case like this, it will be protracted, upsetting and time consuming with no guarantee of a positive outcome.

On balance I would say don't do it but only you know your mum.

Good luck and best wishes in whatever you decide."

I think it would be best for my mum to let it go. As it wasn't the cause of his death even though he had a little bit of Asbestosis. Let my dad rest in peace and then she can finally grieve for him and she hasn't done yet.

" I know asbestosis wasn't the cause of death but the fact he still had it by working at that place, if he hadn't then a part of me thinks he'd still be here today.

If it wasn't the cause of death then I am guessing you cant claim for it?

No amount of money would bring him back though or make it easier to cope with the grief.

"

Good point.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Was mesothelioma or asbestosis mentioned in section 2 of the death certificate as a contributing cause? If not then as he didn't die of mesothelioma and it didn;t influence his death then I can't see that you have any grounds to make a claim.

The reason that people get compensation is because mesothelioma is such a horrible disease to have and leads to a slow and horrible death. People don't get compensation just for having had asbestos exposure as many who have been exposed never develop the illness as a consequence

"Was mesothelioma or asbestosis mentioned in section 2 of the death certificate as a contributing cause? If not then as he didn't die of mesothelioma and it didn;t influence his death then I can't see that you have any grounds to make a claim.

The reason that people get compensation is because mesothelioma is such a horrible disease to have and leads to a slow and horrible death. People don't get compensation just for having had asbestos exposure as many who have been exposed never develop the illness as a consequence"

I have to ask my mum that later as she's out at the minute, I only saw the death certificate once and that was a couple of months ago and my memory has been shit lol.

Thank you for the help.

» Add a new message to this topic