FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Death

Death

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Despite us humans having been around for god knows how many years, we still haven't quite learned how to deal with death. Is there something beyond this life or when the lights go out is that it?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Despite us humans having been around for god knows how many years, we still haven't quite learned how to deal with death. Is there something beyond this life or when the lights go out is that it? "

Whoa there. That's a pretty big question.

Blimey

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

as long as I leave this earth painfree, content

& with my family at my side, I don't care what is next.

I personally believe when you die, you die. That's it.

These people that have near death experiences or experience Heaven or Hell etc I believe are having hallucinations brought on from oxygen deprivation to the brain.

However I do of course respect everyone's alternative _iews on the afterlife and of course I guess we will never truly know for sure what's out there (or not) until we die for good!

I'm ready to die. There is nothing after death. I like it that way. I'd like to die of old age so my family accept it easier

By *obbytupperMan  over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

"as long as I leave this earth painfree, content

& with my family at my side, I don't care what is next."

So long as I still owe the bank loads of money I'll be content.

"I'm ready to die. There is nothing after death. I like it that way. I'd like to die of old age so my family accept it easier "

I'm not sure family ever find it easier to accept whether you are 2, 22 or 102

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

"

So long as I still owe the bank loads of money I'll be content. "

That's a bit selfish, what about everyone else playing Monopoly with you? Do they void the game, or phone your next of kin and ask them to ease you out of the seat and to carry on in your place?

What it is is what it is.

Sometimes you can't reason what appears to be irrational.

Were all just stardust in search of starlight

By *orneyashell87Couple  over a year ago

stockotn on tees

I like to think my loved ones are looking down on me keeping me safe.xx

Sometimes I get so scared of dying

"I'm ready to die. There is nothing after death. I like it that way. I'd like to die of old age so my family accept it easier

I'm not sure family ever find it easier to accept whether you are 2, 22 or 102 "

Easier if you're 102,have lived a good life and are ready to go, than someone who hasn't lived a life, and been taken before they reach old age. Don't you think?

stockotn on tees

"

"

Love this

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"

Love this "

It's true too insofar as we are all made of stellar atoms. I think our spirit or souls move on to a different astral plane so it's only your physical body that dies, the real 'you' inside your head, doesn't. That's what I think anyway even with no scientific basis to back it up.

"I'm ready to die. There is nothing after death. I like it that way. I'd like to die of old age so my family accept it easier

Easier if you're 102,have lived a good life and are ready to go, than someone who hasn't lived a life, and been taken before they reach old age. Don't you think? "

Totally agree, but we still seem to struggle to come to terms with it.

stockotn on tees

[Removed by poster at 09/11/14 20:07:28]

stockotn on tees

Omg r u reading my deepest thoughts xx

By *uby0000Woman  over a year ago

hertfordshire

my dad got his wish he watched a bloke keel over and die in france and said to my mum that's the way id like to go and he did

im not sure if I believe in life after death but I still talk to him in private moments ... daft or not?.. it helps me

When your gone your gone end of, I hope to die before I get old (apologies roger)

I believe, like every other animals on this planet, we are born to reproduce and die, that's it, when we die we die

By *iuliettaWoman  over a year ago

DEVIZES

"Sometimes I get so scared of dying "

Dont be, I have sat with 2 people as they died and although they were very different in age and reasons, both were not aware in any way of what was happening

Easier if you're 102,have lived a good life and are ready to go, than someone who hasn't lived a life, and been taken before they reach old age. Don't you think? "

This...I lost my partner fairly recently and we had our whole lives ahead of us...plans had been made for the future and suddenly she was stolen from me...so hard to come to terms with...thankfully I've had certain people (you know who you are) help me get through it and support me

stockotn on tees

My grandad who's 81 got told last week he can go at anytime. I admire him so much his reply is well my widest waiting for me. He has accepted it and is ready for the time just wish we all where xx

By *overs14Couple  over a year ago

norwich

"Sometimes I get so scared of dying "

Me too, I try not to think about it too much. I hope the thought gets less scary the older you get.

stockotn on tees

Wife###

DEVIZES

"Despite us humans having been around for god knows how many years, we still haven't quite learned how to deal with death. Is there something beyond this life or when the lights go out is that it? "

I feel that there is something that lives on in your memories, in the knowledge and characteristics they passed on, in the contributions they made, however small and maybe the descendants they left

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Once your body no longer works you die. You cease to be. You sense nothing. There is no you.

What you leave behind are your genetics if you have children.

You leave behind all the good and bad that you did as it will have affected others profoundly.

Always enjoy every moment that you can and never lose sight that you do not pick the day the 'you' that exists now will cease to be.

As matter changes state and is never destroyed you will turn to ashes or to dust or to gas.

Some of your atoms will turn up in soil, plants and animals but you ...... you are unique now. The way your bits are put together, the way your brain is wired, the experiences that have formed you...... your only you for such a short time.

All the elements are made inside stars, when the star dies and goes supernova these elements are thrown threw space.

The average age of the elements that currently make up your body are around 800 million years old, when you die those elements get recycled into other stuff like plants, tables, soil, water curtains or sex toys, so you could say you live on in many ways.

Although I tend to try not to believe stuff just for the sake of believing stuff.

But if you've ever had a general anaesthetic you'll know that there's nothing in between getting knocked out and awaking including any sense of how much times past, which probably goes to show you ain't going on no astral plane afterwards.

"Once your body no longer works you die. You cease to be. You sense nothing. There is no you.

What you leave behind are your genetics if you have children.

You leave behind all the good and bad that you did as it will have affected others profoundly.

Always enjoy every moment that you can and never lose sight that you do not pick the day the 'you' that exists now will cease to be.

As matter changes state and is never destroyed you will turn to ashes or to dust or to gas.

Some of your atoms will turn up in soil, plants and animals but you ...... you are unique now. The way your bits are put together, the way your brain is wired, the experiences that have formed you...... your only you for such a short time."

A very good post

Brighton - even Hove!

I don't think being unconscious can be compared with being dead and I've already explained my belief in astral planes is simply that, a belief.

"Sometimes I get so scared of dying

Me too, I try not to think about it too much. I hope the thought gets less scary the older you get."

I'm not afraid to die, in my job I work with a lot of terminally ill people and have seen a lot die a slow and painful dead, that scares me, I'd like to go quick

DEVIZES

"

This...I lost my partner fairly recently and we had our whole lives ahead of us...plans had been made for the future and suddenly she was stolen from me...so hard to come to terms with...thankfully I've had certain people (you know who you are) help me get through it and support me"

My husband died fairly recently too, my life turned on a sixpence, to me it was like being on drugs, alcohol, smoking, etc and giving it all up at once -

Death doesn't scare me, the thought of having to confront my own mortality does.

[Removed by poster at 09/11/14 20:36:06]

"

This...I lost my partner fairly recently and we had our whole lives ahead of us...plans had been made for the future and suddenly she was stolen from me...so hard to come to terms with...thankfully I've had certain people (you know who you are) help me get through it and support me

My husband died fairly recently too, my life turned on a sixpence, to me it was like being on drugs, alcohol, smoking, etc and giving it all up at once -"

God I so hear that...instant black hole and no light above you

Brighton - even Hove!

My best friend killed himself when he was 17 and I remember to this day how I felt when I found out. The misery of death is a balance to the joy of a birth.

By *issHottieBottieWoman  over a year ago

Kent

"I personally believe when you die, you die. That's it.

These people that have near death experiences or experience Heaven or Hell etc I believe are having hallucinations brought on from oxygen deprivation to the brain.

However I do of course respect everyone's alternative _iews on the afterlife and of course I guess we will never truly know for sure what's out there (or not) until we die for good!"

What he said!!

Easier if you're 102,have lived a good life and are ready to go, than someone who hasn't lived a life, and been taken before they reach old age. Don't you think?

This...I lost my partner fairly recently and we had our whole lives ahead of us...plans had been made for the future and suddenly she was stolen from me...so hard to come to terms with...thankfully I've had certain people (you know who you are) help me get through it and support me"

So sorry to read that. Glad you have people to support you, that's very important and a great help I'm sure. x

By *nigmatic1Woman  over a year ago

A seaside town near you!

Absolutely hun xx

hertfordshire

ive had two near death experiences in my life makes you wonder

"I don't think being unconscious can be compared with being dead and I've already explained my belief in astral planes is simply that, a belief. "
sorry I wasn't being contrite, i was trying to explain the science behind it.

When you go under, your not just unconscious, they take you to as near as death as you can get, the brain stops activity, you don't dream,remember anything, have any concept of time elapsed or think to yourself in your head.

For all intense and purposes your dead like Michael Schumacher had been for months kept alive only by machine.

There's still alot to learn about the brain but in recent years they really have leaped forward in how it works.

I'm currently reading a book about eugenics which is a fascinating subject.

By *uv2lick11Man  over a year ago

r c t

God is a word used a lot in the answers, personal i think when ur gone ur gone humans have exsisted way b4 any gods came about! Your only passing thro so, as my fav song says 'live like you are dying!'

I believe in the afterlife. I've seen and experienced too much not to. I'm not majorly spiritual but I pick up on a lot. One of my very good friends I made on here is a medium and I know she doesn't bullshit although a lot do x

WOW mate your a bit morbid when the light go out that's no good analysing and thinking about it before hand, never know you might come back as a frog

By *uv2lick11Man  over a year ago

r c t

God is a word used a lot in the answers, personal i think when ur gone ur gone humans have exsisted way b4 any gods came about! Your only passing thro so, as my fav song says 'live like you are dying!'

That's not entirely true. Lots of cultures embrace death as just a part of the life experience and are not scared of it.

As an atheist, I'm not scared of the thought of death in and of itself. I just don't want the party that is my life, to end just yet.

T

By *all-Eddies QosCouple  over a year ago

wirral

Throw me in a skip and torch my body

Have a party

If I can come back and visit I will, If I can't, I won't

Innit

Lights out. Spark gone. Dust to dust. Ten ten...bye bye and we're gone. Finito Benito.....simples.

So sorry to read that. Glad you have people to support you, that's very important and a great help I'm sure. x"

It is, and thank you xx

" until we die for good!"

Is there any other way to die?

I'd like to think that our spirits are born in someone else - that we live again. As long as I believe that, I'm not afraid to die

My Mum died 3 days before her 80th birthday, just over 4 years ago now, and I still don't think I have come to terms with it properly. Although she did have health problems, she went very suddenly. Tore me to pieces

I'm more scared of ending up alive but lifeless say after a stroke than actually dying. At least in death there is peace.

oh that's made me all emotional, bit too raw at the moment x

" until we die for good!

Is there any other way to die? "

depends on your beliefs

hertfordshire

my mother in law had a stroke and survived for years ..unable to do anything for herself was a relief when she died..

My logic makes me believe that there is nothing after we die. Nevertheless I respect those who find comfort in the belief of an afterlife.

Beliefs are just that, a belief, there's no basis of truth in it.

When people from Nigeria write to you with their belief that you've won their state lottery, your usually quick to realise it.

Religions are pretty similar except there a long time held belief so you give it more credence.

If you look at new religions like Mormonism or Scientology where their belief is that some dude on a comet it coming back to pick up the "enlightened ones', most people are quick to realise it's bollocks!.

Dying doesn't sound like much fun, so I've decided not to bother with it - I'm going to live forever.

"I believe in the afterlife. I've seen and experienced too much not to. I'm not majorly spiritual but I pick up on a lot. One of my very good friends I made on here is a medium and I know she doesn't bullshit although a lot do x"

And talking about certain people...as if by magic she appears...thank you Princess...you make things so much more bearable xx

If the thought of afterlife helps people get through loss and there isn't anything when you go, we won't know any different, so believe and hope is what I do. I would hate to think that the two wonderful people that brought me into the world and have been taken away can just be gone forever. I miss my Dads cuddles and my Mums chats and want them back one day. If it isn't to be, then I won't be any the wiser

"my mother in law had a stroke and survived for years ..unable to do anything for herself was a relief when she died.."

i used to go into a lady who had had a stroke, she lost her swallowing reflex as a result, because of her state of health they would not put a peg feed in as she was not strong enough to take the anesthetic so was basically left to starve to death, her mind was fully functional and she understood everything that was happening but her body gone, she couldn't do anything, couldn't talk etc, it took her 5 days to die, five days if laying there starving to death, I will admit I was relieved when she went as it was heartbreaking to see her

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

Therein lies the origins of all religion. Until relatively recently (in human terms). The birth of human was considered a miracle - how could nature possibly create something so complex to exist for such a short period of time? All religions refer to an after life because it gave simple people the opportunity to understand that life did have a meaning and that the creation was not just for a short amount of time.

Ironically, through history - some of the greatest scientists and scholars came from the Muslim world and indeed the Expansion of the Moorish Empire was very much technologically based. It is only recently when modern science has refuted the concept of life after death that science and Islam has come to an uncomfortable crossroads.

My belief, and that is all it is obviously, is that this life must be a learning curve for something more. I don't necessarily believe that we continue as we are in this life but I prefer to think there is something more.

I guess the bottom line is sooner or later we are all going to find out the truth, shame we can't let everyone else in on the secret.

I agree, I lost my father last year of old age, held his hand as he took his last breath, it was magical and I am totally at peace with his passing.

One of my best friends and colleagues lost his daughter at the age of 35 to a brain hemorrhage, leaving behind two young daughters. He is a broken man, a shadow of his former self, there is no fire left in his voice or eyes, it hurts me more to see him in pain than the loss of my own father does.

Not all death is equal to those that suffered the loss

"my mother in law had a stroke and survived for years ..unable to do anything for herself was a relief when she died..

i used to go into a lady who had had a stroke, she lost her swallowing reflex as a result, because of her state of health they would not put a peg feed in as she was not strong enough to take the anesthetic so was basically left to starve to death, her mind was fully functional and she understood everything that was happening but her body gone, she couldn't do anything, couldn't talk etc, it took her 5 days to die, five days if laying there starving to death, I will admit I was relieved when she went as it was heartbreaking to see her "

It was a practice called the "Liverpool Care Pathway" adopted by nhs for a couple of years up to couple of years ago. Totally bollocks and now thankfully dropped.

"Dying doesn't sound like much fun, so I've decided not to bother with it - I'm going to live forever."

your thinking positive

"I believe in the afterlife. I've seen and experienced too much not to. I'm not majorly spiritual but I pick up on a lot. One of my very good friends I made on here is a medium and I know she doesn't bullshit although a lot do x

And talking about certain people...as if by magic she appears...thank you Princess...you make things so much more bearable xx"

That's what friends are for, might sing that song to you now since saying that has put it in my head haha x

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

I've seen many close friends and family die. Too many. All went differently. I'm OK with death, I believe it is the way I was brought up. Death is an ending, a celebration.

The thought that scares me the most? Alziehmers, dementia, the thought of being me, but not. That scares the crap out of me!

"my mother in law had a stroke and survived for years ..unable to do anything for herself was a relief when she died..

i used to go into a lady who had had a stroke, she lost her swallowing reflex as a result, because of her state of health they would not put a peg feed in as she was not strong enough to take the anesthetic so was basically left to starve to death, her mind was fully functional and she understood everything that was happening but her body gone, she couldn't do anything, couldn't talk etc, it took her 5 days to die, five days if laying there starving to death, I will admit I was relieved when she went as it was heartbreaking to see her

It was a practice called the "Liverpool Care Pathway" adopted by nhs for a couple of years up to couple of years ago. Totally bollocks and now thankfully dropped."

That's not what the Liverpool Care Pathway was.

hertfordshire

withholding fluids still exists in hospitals if the drs think there is no chance of survival

I'm normally a logical and rational person, but death does funny things to me, it leads me down paths I would normally never follow.

King's Crustacean

"I believe in the afterlife. I've seen and experienced too much not to. I'm not majorly spiritual but I pick up on a lot. One of my very good friends I made on here is a medium and I know she doesn't bullshit although a lot do x"

A medium .... I was going to say most women on here are large .... but I better not.

"I believe in the afterlife. I've seen and experienced too much not to. I'm not majorly spiritual but I pick up on a lot. One of my very good friends I made on here is a medium and I know she doesn't bullshit although a lot do x

A medium .... I was going to say most women on here are large .... but I better not. "

Haha oh dear x

"

It was a practice called the "Liverpool Care Pathway" adopted by nhs for a couple of years up to couple of years ago. Totally bollocks and now thankfully dropped."

You read far too many papers. Have you ever spoke to a actual nurse about what the LCP was? As a hospice nurse I found it a great tool for hospitals to use, they basically used the principles of hospice care with their patients. LCP was a piece of paperwork, 4hrly documentation. It ensured that the patient was being observed more often than they would of been with out it. It's sad that the media ruined what was a great tool.

There are lots of reasons why fluids etc are withheld from a patient giving a patient a drink could cause them to aspirate which means the fluid is on the patients lungs this Inturn can cause a uncomfortable death.

To the ops question I often find the patients them selves have come to terms with death it's the relatives that haven't, which anyone losing their wife husband, lover, parent, sibling or child would never be expected to accept death

And talking about certain people...as if by magic she appears...thank you Princess...you make things so much more bearable xx

That's what friends are for, might sing that song to you now since saying that has put it in my head haha x"

And with an amazing voice too

I believe the energy of life simply passes into other forms. The energy of the soul? I believe there must be some energy unique to animals. Some form of energy not found in more simple chemical reactions. I'm guessing it is no easier to destroy a soul than other forms of energy. Has anyone ever looked at a child and seen something of a glint of a long lost relative? Energy can not be destroyed it only changes form. That's all we are, moving energy.

Atheists have nothing to die for and everything to live for.

For religious people it's the opposite!

The native Americans had a lovely philosophy and a fantastic quote by one of their elders.

Tread lightly and leave no footprints, you must teach your children that the ground beneath their feet is the ashes of your grandfathers. So that they will respect the land, tell your children that the earth is rich with the lives of our kin. Teach your children what we have taught our children, that the earth is our mother. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth. If men spit upon the ground, they spit upon themselves.

King's Crustacean

Does everyone get to go to the afterlife?

Whether good or bad ?

Whether believer or atheist ?

"as long as I leave this earth painfree, content

& with my family at my side, I don't care what is next.

So long as I still owe the bank loads of money I'll be content. "

They,ll owe you a "debt" of gratitude

" until we die for good!

Is there any other way to die? "

Suppose you could fake it for a bit, not too long as they might screw the lid down oops

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

I'm not afraid of dying, but I am afraid of a prolonged drawn-out death and also (as I live alone), I'm afraid of dying and not being found.

I hope to pass like my Grandmother (although preferably not at a birthday party)...Grandma came down to our house for my twin brother and sister's 10th birthday party (bringing the traditional trifle that she always made)...handed the trifle to my mam, said "oh, I feel a bit faint", sat down and died of a massive heart attack. When the doctor examined her and heard what had happened, he told us that had he been sitting next to her, he thought there was nothing he could have done - a great way to go, although it didn't seem so to us left behind (including 17 year old me who had to ring round a she'd load of 10 year old's parents explaining why the party wasn't happening.

On the funny side, I missed getting hold of my sister's best mate who turned up for the party...her and my sister were sitting on the steps eating Grandma's trifle (what can I say, we're Northerners - waste not, want not) when she said to my sister "Did Grandma F make the trifle before or after she died?"...Cue adults in hysterics and 31 years of taking the piss out of our kid's mate (who is still a wonderful friend)

Do I believe there's something after death? Yes, definitely, although I have no facts to base this on - it's an article of faith for me

Liverpool pathway was were doctors would decide to stop fluids for patients on palliative care, this lady had lost her swallowing reflex due to her stroke the options of taking her fluids away was made she simply had no swallowing reflex so could not eat or drink

I don't believe that we go anywhere after death , however I believe we live on in others. In our family genetically and in the memories of our friends.

The depth of mourning others shows how much they meant to us. If, when my time comes, I've got my children to a stage where they are independent and happy. Plus I've led a good, full and varied life. I'd be happy with my lot.

"Beliefs are just that, a belief, there's no basis of truth in it.

When people from Nigeria write to you with their belief that you've won their state lottery, your usually quick to realise it.

Religions are pretty similar except there a long time held belief so you give it more credence.

If you look at new religions like Mormonism or Scientology where their belief is that some dude on a comet it coming back to pick up the "enlightened ones', most people are quick to realise it's bollocks!."

Tell tom cruise that..

hertfordshire

I remember my dads smile and wicked sense of humour

"Despite us humans having been around for god knows how many years, we still haven't quite learned how to deal with death. Is there something beyond this life or when the lights go out is that it?

Therein lies the origins of all religion. Until relatively recently (in human terms). The birth of human was considered a miracle - how could nature possibly create something so complex to exist for such a short period of time? All religions refer to an after life because it gave simple people the opportunity to understand that life did have a meaning and that the creation was not just for a short amount of time.

Ironically, through history - some of the greatest scientists and scholars came from the Muslim world and indeed the Expansion of the Moorish Empire was very much technologically based. It is only recently when modern science has refuted the concept of life after death that science and Islam has come to an uncomfortable crossroads. "

Not forgetting Some of the greatest mathmaticians as Well.

Death itself holds no fear. I imagine that my consciousness will somehow move on. I have a body but I am not my body, I have a mind but I'm not my mind, I have feelings, emotions and thoughts but I am not them, I have a name but I am not my name. So who am I?

I hope the way I die is a 'good one', but what will be, will be.

If you look at the astronauts that have been to the moon, stood on that baron rock and held that tiny glowing bluey green planet in between their fingers. It had a profound experience on them, they talk about that realisation that this tiny glowing ball is really small and really insignificant but it's all we've got, they say it's the most spiritual and humbling experience any human could have.

Brighton - even Hove!

We will all find out one day!

By *ichaelangelaCouple  over a year ago

notts

so all these veris that say things like "blowjob to die for"

dont really mean it then?

I don't get having your parents, nephews and friends watching over you as a comforting thought.

I'm not being funny but if my mum is watching me wank over upskirt porn or taking part in gang bangs, she ain't speaking to me in the afterlife anyhow!.

death sucks

There is life after death. The film ghost epitomises the trueness of it.

Minus the whole pottery stuff

We are energy in an organic form. The organic form dies but our energy lives on. Some cultures call this energy a soul.

"We are energy in an organic form. The organic form dies but our energy lives on. Some cultures call this energy a soul. "

By *iverpool LoverMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"We are energy in an organic form. The organic form dies but our energy lives on. Some cultures call this energy a soul. "

well said

nice to see somone open minded on here.

We most definitely live on, I read a book by dalores cannon who has been doing deep past regression hypnosis for over 40 years and some of the experiences the people shes put under deep hyponosis and she talks to the subconcious, well you got to be very ooen minded but some experienced many past lives both here and far off in distant galaxys... from physical beings to beings of light without form.

I dont fear death at all because I know we are just energy and energy never dies... sure our bodys and memorys will but never our soul.

I'm not sure family ever find it easier to accept whether you are 2, 22 or 102 "

Trust me - it's a hell of a lot easier if you're 102!! Xx

Our bodies are just vessels for our spirits, when the vessel is sunk does the spirit die as well or does it live on in the memories of those that are left or is there more than that?

Biologists call it a chemical reaction between two compounds,

Giving birth is no more miraculous than taking a shit in chemistry terms.

We have a habit of confusing our emotions with science.

The energy you have comes from things you eat and chemical reactions, stop eating and you stop producing energy.

By *ait88Man  over a year ago

Plymouth

"Dying doesn't sound like much fun, so I've decided not to bother with it - I'm going to live forever."

And it can seriously affect your health!

hertfordshire

"death sucks"

a ghostly blow job lol

By *VineMan  over a year ago

The right place

I believe in resurrection. I don't think death is the final word.

I wana come back as either a dildo or item of female clothing lol that be so good

hertfordshire

we are born .. we die.. its what we do in between that counts

By *eep_Calm_andMan  over a year ago

milton keynes

cant believe im gonna put this out there!

My belief is that we die and then come back again and again, until we get it right, until what ever lesson it is that we are to learn...has been learnt....weird i guess!

"we are born .. we die.. its what we do in between that counts "

what we do in between really does count. It's called epigenetics

"cant believe im gonna put this out there!

My belief is that we die and then come back again and again, until we get it right, until what ever lesson it is that we are to learn...has been learnt....weird i guess! "

I've got a funny feeling some people will be coming back alot more than others.

I believe in life after death and dying holds no fear for me. Although my beliefs don't take away the terrible pain when I have lost those I love, it certainly helps

"Biologists call it a chemical reaction between two compounds,

The energy you have comes from things you eat and chemical reactions, stop eating and you stop producing energy."

If you think our emotions aren't scientific, you'd be wrong.

By *eep_Calm_andMan  over a year ago

milton keynes

lol yep maybe more than once or twice!

The energy you have comes from things you eat and chemical reactions, stop eating and you stop producing energy.

If you think our emotions aren't scientific, you'd be wrong."

. No I know all our emotions can be scientifically explained, I was saying humans have a habit of confusing science with their emotions ie we see child birth differently than taking a shit because we're emotionally involved with one and not the other.

People perceive in an afterlife because they can't see it from any perspective than an emotional human one.

[Removed by poster at 09/11/14 23:23:21]

"we are born .. we die.. its what we do in between that counts "

?The Dash

by Linda Ellis copyright 1996

?I read of a man who stood to speak

at the funeral of a friend.

He referred to the dates on the tombstone

from the beginning…to the end.

He noted that first came the date of birth

and spoke the following date with tears,

but he said what mattered most of all

was the dash between those years.

For that dash represents all the time

that they spent alive on earth.

And now only those who loved them

know what that little line is worth.

For it matters not, how much we own,

the cars…the house…the cash.

What matters is how we live and love

and how we spend our dash.

So, think about this long and hard.

Are there things you’d like to change?

For you never know how much time is left

that can still be rearranged.

If we could just slow down enough

to consider what’s true and real

and always try to understand

?the way other people feel.

And be less quick to anger

and show appreciation more

and love the people in our lives

like we’ve never loved before.

If we treat each other with respect

and more often wear a smile,

remembering that this special dash

might only last a while.

?So, when your eulogy is being read,

with your life’s actions to rehash…

would you be proud of the things they say

about how you spent YOUR dash?

so what havent we learnt. ? I deal with death and dying all the time at work and had more than my fair share of bearevement too.

Its inevitable. Tjats the only fact im gonna deal with.

I have always wondered what happens physicaly when we die.

I know someone comes puts us in a body bag then into van what exactly happens after that where do we go what do they do?

A lot deal with it well as I see it and there are the many millions who don't see it coming and its an instant light out. People deal with it far better than not getting a reply on here.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Death is the end as fR as I'm concerned. Any other ideas is largely wishful thinking and created when we were more primitive cultures.

Humans have been better with death, it's just that we now have a lifestyle divorced from it.

I'm not in any way religious and have no idea whether there is an afterlife or not but I was with my father when he died... in fact I held him in my arms as he passed and as he looked at me in those final minutes he went from seeing me to looking past me and the most beautiful smile came across his face. I'll never forget it and have always thought it was more of a "hello" than a "goodbye". My hopeful, spiritual side hopes it was my little boy who had died the year before...coming for him. That comforts me....but who knows???? So I don't fear death...only really the manner of my passing.

"I'm not in any way religious and have no idea whether there is an afterlife or not but I was with my father when he died... in fact I held him in my arms as he passed and as he looked at me in those final minutes he went from seeing me to looking past me and the most beautiful smile came across his face. I'll never forget it and have always thought it was more of a "hello" than a "goodbye". My hopeful, spiritual side hopes it was my little boy who had died the year before...coming for him. That comforts me....but who knows???? So I don't fear death...only really the manner of my passing."

That has just made me go all beautifully goose bumpy! X

The point is were meant to fear death, evolution gave it to us like all life. Even the humble bacteria and virus crave life, just as we should.

The worry is when man made theory's and beliefs take that fear from us then we're capable of all the worst deeds.

Great answer.

Often, when I look at my darling wife and how much she has grown, and listen to her moaning about her aches and pains I think of her death.....but I then think.....what's the point....she's the best I could lure in at this stage, and amn't I better off with the devil I know...and then I usually make her a nice cup

of drinking choclate and give her a hug cos I love her.

"I have always wondered what happens physicaly when we die.

I know someone comes puts us in a body bag then into van what exactly happens after that where do we go what do they do?"

no one know then?

They take you to a mortuary and depending on your death, suspicious, under doctors orders etc they will do an autopsy or release you to the undertakers, they will remove some organs and fluids while adding some preservatives before placing what's left into an expensive box, where you'll either be burnt or buried or thrown on the dump depending on which governments in power.

If your burnt well I think you know what happens physically when you throw flesh onto a barbecue.

If your buried depending on your quality of box, decomposition(your bio degradable hey, your a green and you never knew it) can take between 1 and 5 years during which time worms, bacteria and many other creatures will help turn your elements back into soil and nutrients helping to grow food like hops so we can all get pissed at your passing.

"They take you to a mortuary and depending on your death, suspicious, under doctors orders etc they will do an autopsy or release you to the undertakers, they will remove some organs and fluids while adding some preservatives before placing what's left into an expensive box, where you'll either be burnt or buried or thrown on the dump depending on which governments in power.

If your burnt well I think you know what happens physically when you throw flesh onto a barbecue.

If your buried depending on your quality of box, decomposition(your bio degradable hey, your a green and you never knew it) can take between 1 and 5 years during which time worms, bacteria and many other creatures will help turn your elements back into soil and nutrients helping to grow food like hops so we can all get pissed at your passing."

whats the deal with the toe tag then

That's in case your toe falls off and they will know it's yours!..

No I'm joking they tried the knob tag but it turns out the toe was bigger and easier to stick a tag on

"That's in case your toe falls off and they will know it's yours!..

No I'm joking they tried the knob tag but it turns out the toe was bigger and easier to stick a tag on"

ha ha like it wouldnt work for a woman either lol

By *ikchattyfellahMan  over a year ago

Greenock

The reason we haven't learned to deal with death is that we have a survival instinct hardwired in us. Its needed but unfortunately means death is something to be afraid of and avoided at all costs til the last!

It's cold in them mortuarys, I'm guessing they could use a nipple.

Good thinking or a strap on lol

i used to go into a lady who had had a stroke, she lost her swallowing reflex as a result, because of her state of health they would not put a peg feed in as she was not strong enough to take the anesthetic so was basically left to starve to death, her mind was fully functional and she understood everything that was happening but her body gone, she couldn't do anything, couldn't talk etc, it took her 5 days to die, five days if laying there starving to death, I will admit I was relieved when she went as it was heartbreaking to see her "

That has to be the most horrendous thing that any person has to have happen to them and for you to see also.

My parents have told the family if they are going to be in anyway unable to survive and live normally then they will say goodbye and go of their own freewill and their way ... For them that is together, they have been married 52 years and believe together they have lived and together they die and personally I completely understand this and even though I would be inconsolable I can think of no love stronger than protecting our families from the brutality of a legal system that treats humans with no respect for individuals feelings whatsoever .... no animal would be allowed to suffer the way we make our fellow humans suffer!

It's my opinion and i will probably get slated for it but it's what I think and respect my parents right to choose how and when.

~~~ has officially been dead for 15 seconds but i was aware of what was going on thanks to a drug called adenazene, all i could think was beat you bastard xx i think there is an afterlife and i do believe in angels x

By *onkers66Man  over a year ago

London

Does an Embryo die

After approximately 9 months ?

Technically it is leaving 1 life to go out to another one .

"Death itself holds no fear. I imagine that my consciousness will somehow move on. I have a body but I am not my body, I have a mind but I'm not my mind, I have feelings, emotions and thoughts but I am not them, I have a name but I am not my name. So who am I?

I hope the way I die is a 'good one', but what will be, will be."

Pretty much...

I don't find it easy to accept ever, especially if it's unexpected or serious illness

"Despite us humans having been around for god knows how many years, we still haven't quite learned how to deal with death. Is there something beyond this life or when the lights go out is that it?

Ironically, through history - some of the greatest scientists and scholars came from the Muslim world and indeed the Expansion of the Moorish Empire was very much technologically based. It is only recently when modern science has refuted the concept of life after death that science and Islam has come to an uncomfortable crossroads. Not forgetting Some of the greatest mathmaticians as Well."

A lot of the maths and science people mention actually came fro Persia, prior to the invention of Islam. Islam slammed the brakes on hard.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Start The Week has been discussing death and aging. Reith Lectures starting on 25th about the subject of the OP.

Ironically, through history - some of the greatest scientists and scholars came from the Muslim world and indeed the Expansion of the Moorish Empire was very much technologically based. It is only recently when modern science has refuted the concept of life after death that science and Islam has come to an uncomfortable crossroads. Not forgetting Some of the greatest mathmaticians as Well.

A lot of the maths and science people mention actually came fro Persia, prior to the invention of Islam. Islam slammed the brakes on hard."

Most of it actually came from Greece, when their empire was conquered by the Romans alot of the Greeks science was spread out across the middle East and the Romans.

It's estimated that the Greeks weren't far from 20th century intellectually with only the discovery of oil separating us!

By *arry247Couple  over a year ago

Wakefield

People rely on science and seem to believe scientists know everything.

However the truth is scientists know very little.

The offer theories then try to prove their theories are correct. When the first theory is shown to be wrong they adapt the theory to the knew way of thinking.

The science of evolution does not prove that creationism is wrong as scientists cannot prove what was there before the big bang.

Perhaps it was God playing with his chemistry set.

It is very possible that there is life after death. I have experienced things that could point to that but being able to recreate such events in a controlled environment is beyond me.

In the same way Albert Einstein’s theory of relativity (E=MC2) claims that mass and energy are the same, i.e. one pound of coal or uranium is equivalent to about 11 billion kilowatt hours of energy.

Scientist can at present extract chemical energy from coal (by burning it) but they cannot as yet produce nuclear energy from coal.

It follows that as science develops the proof of an afterlife may become easily reproducible and accepted.

Science actually says it's not impossible for life after death its just very highly unlikely!.

Theory's are theory's until proven through peer re_iewed proven experiments and data and then they become laws and facts, like gravity, thermo dynamics, mathematics, the earth bring round and evolution.

Yes they don't have all the answers but they have alot more answers than "I believe" or "I think"as even their theory's have scientific facts to back them up.

You can't get " nuclear energy from coal as it's not a fissionable material the heat energy released from coal comes from the hydrogen captured inside it, hence the name hydro/carbon.

E=mc2 doesn't say that mass equals energy or that a pound of coal contains the same energy as a pound of uranium.

If you think our emotions aren't scientific, you'd be wrong.. No I know all our emotions can be scientifically explained, I was saying humans have a habit of confusing science with their emotions ie we see child birth differently than taking a shit because we're emotionally involved with one and not the other.

People perceive in an afterlife because they can't see it from any perspective than an emotional human one."

My beliefs are rational and not an an affect of the chemical exchanges that results in emotions and the following behaviours.

So you're wrong

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

Life is short

Death eternal

Make the most of whatever life you have

I feel the human invented concept of life after death unhelpful in the psychological battle with our almost inevitable fate

By *ait88Man  over a year ago

Plymouth

Ironically, through history - some of the greatest scientists and scholars came from the Muslim world and indeed the Expansion of the Moorish Empire was very much technologically based. It is only recently when modern science has refuted the concept of life after death that science and Islam has come to an uncomfortable crossroads. Not forgetting Some of the greatest mathmaticians as Well.

A lot of the maths and science people mention actually came fro Persia, prior to the invention of Islam. Islam slammed the brakes on hard."

And from the Greeks. The Muslims just spread the wise words, especially from the east, adding very, very, little. They've made no contribution whatsoever to "modern" science. It's against their religion.

How about making the most of what we have now. Live as happy and caring as we can. Be intelligent enough to respect individual beliefs and if there is something after...BONUS! if not...so what? You'll never know about it.

We're all mortal, learn to accept it.

Did anyone actually pay attention in school or during any wild life documentary.

We have evolved over 3 million years from amoeba to tadpoles to rodents to apes to high primates.

So the question to all those who believe in life after death is did we get reborn when we were apes, if so do all animals get reborn , if so don't you feel guilty about animal slaughter chickens, pigs, cows , deer ..I mean these are all presumably human spirits waiting to be reborn.

Did we get reborn when we were rodents... When we were tadpoles and amoeba and mere primordial soup, virus's and bacteria do they get reborn.

It just sounds ridiculous when you start actually thinking about it.

Isn't it far more likely that we are just highly evolved high primates questioning our existence and trying to make sense out of a seemingly senseless existence.

As hard as the thought is, it's most likely were just random chance.

I'm totally, totally unafraid of death. It doesn't frighten me at all.

I'm also (in the vein of Einstein) a determinist. So, as all physical laws are fixed and immutable, there is no such thing as 'random chance'.

Therein lies the origins of all religion. Until relatively recently (in human terms). The birth of human was considered a miracle - how could nature possibly create something so complex to exist for such a short period of time? All religions refer to an after life because it gave simple people the opportunity to understand that life did have a meaning and that the creation was not just for a short amount of time. "

So how do you explain early Judaism, which totally accepted the idea of an omnipotent, omnipresent God, but had no concept of an afterlife? Early Jews just believed that death was the end. The concepts of heaven and he'll common to all abrahamic religions came later.

"People rely on science and seem to believe scientists know everything.

However the truth is scientists know very little.

The offer theories then try to prove their theories are correct. When the first theory is shown to be wrong they adapt the theory to the knew way of thinking.

The science of evolution does not prove that creationism is wrong as scientists cannot prove what was there before the big bang.

Perhaps it was God playing with his chemistry set.

It is very possible that there is life after death. I have experienced things that could point to that but being able to recreate such events in a controlled environment is beyond me.

In the same way Albert Einstein’s theory of relativity (E=MC2) claims that mass and energy are the same, i.e. one pound of coal or uranium is equivalent to about 11 billion kilowatt hours of energy.

Scientist can at present extract chemical energy from coal (by burning it) but they cannot as yet produce nuclear energy from coal.

It follows that as science develops the proof of an afterlife may become easily reproducible and accepted.

"

I personally think that if, hypothetically; the existence of an afterlife or some form of God/Gods could be empirically proven that would, quite ironically, mean that religion would no longer be necessary.

Its all speculation as nobody has ever come back and filled in a re_iew on trip adviser.

"Its all speculation as nobody has ever come back and filled in a re_iew on trip adviser."

I'm so tempted to go and and write one:

Heaven - star rating ***

Ok to begin with but a bit like Disney on acid and you just can't leave!

The energy you have comes from things you eat and chemical reactions, stop eating and you stop producing energy."

Well i've had a 7lb shit, a 9lb and a 10lb shit! I think that's enough shitting for me!! xx

The way I see it is; when you're gone you're gone. There's no coming back and no light at the end of the tunnel, so you may as well enjoy what time you've got....

By *isty286Couple  over a year ago

Dorset

Growing old isn't for the faint hearted, even though its inevitable, people who wait to be told by doctors that they have a limited time left, and then say "I'm going to make the most of it", have already left it too late, Carpe Diem seize the day! Once we are gone, we are gone.

My friends mother has just passed away yesterday after being diagnosed with cancer only four weeks ago. he and his wife (my best friend) and their family are devastated

In the words of a wise man "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out"

So how do you explain early Judaism, which totally accepted the idea of an omnipotent, omnipresent God, but had no concept of an afterlife? Early Jews just believed that death was the end. The concepts of heaven and he'll common to all abrahamic religions came later."

I don't quite get what your asking, you want to know why early jews believed in an all powerful God that's found everywhere?(as far as I know they still believe that).

My answer would be, it's just a load of bollocks with no evidence at all to back it up, the amount of people that believe bullshit doesn't give said bullshit any more credence than it had originally, otherwise eat bullshit a hundred billion flies can't be wrong!.

Let's use some logic and science, after all its those principles that have advanced the human race with medicine,mri scanners, drugs, vaccines and the sequencing of DNA not dragged it backwards into Spanish inquisitions and witch hunts.

So how do you explain early Judaism, which totally accepted the idea of an omnipotent, omnipresent God, but had no concept of an afterlife? Early Jews just believed that death was the end. The concepts of heaven and he'll common to all abrahamic religions came later..

I don't quite get what your asking, you want to know why early jews believed in an all powerful God that's found everywhere?(as far as I know they still believe that).

My answer would be, it's just a load of bollocks with no evidence at all to back it up, the amount of people that believe bullshit doesn't give said bullshit any more credence than it had originally, otherwise eat bullshit a hundred billion flies can't be wrong!.

Let's use some logic and science, after all its those principles that have advanced the human race with medicine,mri scanners, drugs, vaccines and the sequencing of DNA not dragged it backwards into Spanish inquisitions and witch hunts.

"

No mate; I wasn't asking for your opinion on the existence or non-existence of God, I was asking, if, as the poster I quoted said, religion is basically a means of distracting people from the harshness of life by promising them a better existence in an afterlife, then that doesn't follow when you bear in mind that some religions don't have any concept of an afterlife at all. I was using early Judaism as an example.

Ahh

Could be the making sense out of a seemingly senseless existence.

Or fear of the unknown.

Or hoping that a superior being might help next years crop growth.

Could be lots of reasons why there'd think it.

Just no evidence for it.

"Ahh

Could be the making sense out of a seemingly senseless existence.

Or fear of the unknown.

Or hoping that a superior being might help next years crop growth.

Could be lots of reasons why there'd think it.

Just no evidence for it."

again, no offense, but I wasn't asking for your opinion as regards the reasons human beings created religion in the first place, I was stating that all religion can't be explained away with the 'opiate of the people' idea people like Marx, Freud and others had that it is a means of exploiting people by distracting them from the harshness of this life with a promise that things would be better in the next life. When you bear in mind not all religions have an afterlife (and indeed, not all religions have a concept of a God or Gods either), it's not as clear cut as that.

In the scale of the universe and it's massive entirety we are nothing, smaller than the cells in comparison to our own body. Does our cells see us as God's and would they be disappointed to know that we have little to no control over their fate? For me death isn't the end, we just become part of the fabric, individually insignificant but important in the grand scheme of things collectively.

Just my thinking. We don't matter, we are just matter.

No offence taken!

I wasn't giving an opinion I was offering scientific explanation for old wives tales and superstition.

In my book its clear cut till you offer some repeatable data that we can base your theories on.

[Removed by poster at 14/11/14 21:56:16]

"No offence taken!

I wasn't giving an opinion I was offering scientific explanation for old wives tales and superstition.

In my book its clear cut till you offer some repeatable data that we can base your theories on. "

*My* theories? I haven't mentioned my 'theories'.

By *uicylucy76Woman  over a year ago

thornton cleveleys

I have learnt that all the best people get taken to early.... I'm gonna be here for quite some time!

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Hereford

I was forced to confront my own mortality in my 20s - I have made my peace with death and I am not afraid of dying.

I don't believe anything comes after, we rot and feed the soil, and new life comes from it.

"I have learnt that all the best people get taken to early.... I'm gonna be here for quite some time! "

Based on my sneaky peek at your pics we can only hope so

"In the scale of the universe and it's massive entirety we are nothing, smaller than the cells in comparison to our own body. Does our cells see us as God's and would they be disappointed to know that we have little to no control over their fate? For me death isn't the end, we just become part of the fabric, individually insignificant but important.. in the grand scheme of things collectively.

Just my thinking. We don't matter, we are just matter. "

So that makes you a pandeist...I think...

Although...we do have (indirect) control over the 'fate' of our individual cells.

No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new.

Does that answer your question?

"I was forced to confront my own mortality in my 20s - I have made my peace with death and I am not afraid of dying.

I don't believe anything comes after, we rot and feed the soil, and new life comes from it. "

Wouldn't that be the case anyway even if hypothetically there was an afterlife? I don't think any of the major world religions are saying people are physically go to an afterlife.

Hereford

"I was forced to confront my own mortality in my 20s - I have made my peace with death and I am not afraid of dying.

I don't believe anything comes after, we rot and feed the soil, and new life comes from it.

Wouldn't that be the case anyway even if hypothetically there was an afterlife? I don't think any of the major world religions are saying people are physically go to an afterlife."

Yes, but you must have missed the first bit of the sentence whereby I state "I don't believe anything comes after".

Wouldn't that be the case anyway even if hypothetically there was an afterlife? I don't think any of the major world religions are saying people are physically go to an afterlife."

so which bits go to an afterlife then?

"In the scale of the universe and it's massive entirety we are nothing, smaller than the cells in comparison to our own body. Does our cells see us as God's and would they be disappointed to know that we have little to no control over their fate? For me death isn't the end, we just become part of the fabric, individually insignificant but important.. in the grand scheme of things collectively.

Although...we do have (indirect) control over the 'fate' of our individual cells."

Agreed, we have indirect control but for all that an individual cell may wish to be healed or repaired we certainly do not hear that cells "prayer". The only time we intervene is if it is in our own interest of survival. I suppose also we could actively damage those cells through various ways also, indirectly.

No idea what I'd call myself, an insignificant god to the cells within myself and an insignificant cell within the universe. It's only when you see things on the day to day scale of human interaction do we have any significance.

I know that all sounds awful pessimistic, even nihilistic, but what we all share is truly beautiful. Perhaps death in its own way will be equally as beautiful?

Hereford

Although...we do have (indirect) control over the 'fate' of our individual cells.

Agreed, we have indirect control but for all that an individual cell may wish to be healed or repaired we certainly do not hear that cells "prayer". The only time we intervene is if it is in our own interest of survival. I suppose also we could actively damage those cells through various ways also, indirectly.

No idea what I'd call myself, an insignificant god to the cells within myself and an insignificant cell within the universe. It's only when you see things on the day to day scale of human interaction do we have any significance.

I know that all sounds awful pessimistic, even nihilistic, but what we all share is truly beautiful. Perhaps death in its own way will be equally as beautiful?"

I think hoping that death will be beautiful is a tad optimistic, myself. I think the best that you can hope death to be is quick.

"No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new.

Does that answer your question?"

Yet none of us really thinks we are going to die, or, rather none of us lives our lives like we are all going to. We accumulate possessions and money as if we are going to live forever. The thought that in 110 years everyone on this website will be dead and gone is a sobering one.

There is simply something that disturbs the human psyche about the idea that there is nothing about us that will last forever, which is why we feel the need to reproduce, why we feel the need to create things, to write books, to paint, to sculpt, to write songs. However, ultimately, every last trace of each one of us will eventually disappear, physically at least, along with all of these. Equally sobering.

Wouldn't that be the case anyway even if hypothetically there was an afterlife? I don't think any of the major world religions are saying people are physically go to an afterlife.

Yes, but you must have missed the first bit of the sentence whereby I state "I don't believe anything comes after"."

No; I got that, that's why I said 'hypothetically'.

"I think hoping that death will be beautiful is a tad optimistic, myself. I think the best that you can hope death to be is quick. "

There is such things as terrible beauties, things that are destructive but yet a marvel to behold. Fire, volcanoes, even the galaxy it's self. Dangerous, deadly, destructive but mesmerising to watch.

I'm not saying that the act of dying is beautiful. I've seen some very horrible and painful deaths. And I agree with you, quick is most definitely the preferred way of departing.

What makes anyone think that the universe is here for us!.

I've never been to Paris, when I die I doubt that fact will alter much there.

It is just possible that were just fodder and it was made for the bunny rabbits by the bunny rabbit God.

Wouldn't that be the case anyway even if hypothetically there was an afterlife? I don't think any of the major world religions are saying people are physically go to an afterlife.so which bits go to an afterlife then?"

Depends on the religion. In the abrahamic religions, it's the soul, in Vedic Hinduism and Jainism its the 'atman' or self. Buddhists don't believe in any concept of a soul or a self, so its different. All religions (that have a concept of an afterlife anyway) woud regard it as non-corporeal rather than corporeal.

Not saying I agree with any of that, just stating what those religions say.

Well until these religions can offer up some science on these souls, what they are, where they are, give us some tangible evidence they even exist, I think factually speaking their talking out their arses

As Colombo would say.....

One more thing,

What makes you think that humans are so god damn important to have a soul or an afterlife anyhow.

Going off any evidence of this life, we,d just manage to fuck up some other place too.

I'm in the afterlife of a thread now