FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > The Wit Of Winston Churchill!

The Wit Of Winston Churchill!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ptimusD OP   Man  over a year ago

Birmingham

Winston Churchill was never easily shocked!

In his new biography of the wartime PM, Boris Johnson relates how one February morning, Churchill was told that one of his ministers had been caught in a compromising position.

"Did I hear you correctly that so-and-so has been caught with a guardsman?", he asked his chief whip. "In Hyde Park? On a bench? At 3 o'clock in the morning?"

The chief whip answered in the affirmative. Churchill took a puff of his cigar. "In this weather?", he added.

"Good God man, it makes you proud to be British."

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Winston Churchill was never easily shocked!

In his new biography of the wartime PM, Boris Johnson relates how one February morning, Churchill was told that one of his ministers had been caught in a compromising position.

"Did I hear you correctly that so-and-so has been caught with a guardsman?", he asked his chief whip. "In Hyde Park? On a bench? At 3 o'clock in the morning?"

The chief whip answered in the affirmative. Churchill took a puff of his cigar. "In this weather?", he added.

"Good God man, it makes you proud to be British.""

A Conservative with a Liberal attitude!

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Good God man, it makes you proud to be British."A Conservative with a Liberal attitude! "

wonder if the whips office knew..

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Good God man, it makes you proud to be British."A Conservative with a Liberal attitude! "

Churchill was in the Liberal Party for 20 years, before defecting to the Tories... maybe he couldnt wash the liberalism off!

Didnt he used to speak to cabinet ministers whilst he was in the bath?

Birmingham

I like to think he doesn't sweat the small stuff

By *om Tom 1969Man  over a year ago

liverpool

If you get the chance have a listen to his speech on Islam,made in the fifties or sixties,, its on youtube,,,very insighful!!

Wasn't his nickname Winnie The Pig ?

liverpool

"Wasn't his nickname Winnie The Pig ? "
Not sure if that is one of my fantasies....

"If you get the chance have a listen to his speech on Islam,made in the fifties or sixties,, its on youtube,,,very insighful!!"
From The old school of politicians he led a Colourful life from the 1870,s he was Born to when he died In 1965 makes Previous prime ministers look humble in Comparison I bet he,s turned more than a Few times In his grave with what happens In politic,s today.

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

He made quite a few choice quotes.

My favourite was when he was confronted at a reception by Labour MP Bessie Braddock who said "Prime Minister you are d*unk" to which he replied "and in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly"

By *vsnikkiTV/TS  over a year ago

Limavady

[Removed by poster at 06/11/14 15:21:51]

By *vsnikkiTV/TS  over a year ago

Limavady

Lady Astor: Sir, if You were my husband I'd give you poison

Churchill: Madam, if I was your husband, I'd drink it.

By *riskynriskyCouple  over a year ago

Essex.

I can't remember who it was but a woman said to him

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would put poison in your coffee."

He replied "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it."

What a top chap...

liverpool

"I can't remember who it was but a woman said to him

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would put poison in your coffee."

He replied "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it."

What a top chap...

"

It was Nancy Astor!!

liverpool

"He made quite a few choice quotes.

My favourite was when he was confronted at a reception by Labour MP Bessie Braddock who said "Prime Minister you are d*unk" to which he replied "and in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly" "

Sorry to be a pedant, but you have slightly misquoted, he actually replied yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning i will be sober! (apologies)

Churchill was awesome!!

Had a wit that would cut you in half as soon as he's said it!!

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

He was brilliant - I love visiting his home not far from me, amazing setting.

"Something about the outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man"

He was a man for the moment for sure.

But before we get all misty eyed he was also a serial adulterer,alcoholic, manic depressive, racist, warmonger.

I like his less well known ones like "oi, Hitler, you're a cunt"

liverpool

"He was a man for the moment for sure.

But before we get all misty eyed he was also a serial adulterer,alcoholic, manic depressive, racist, warmonger.

"

No he wasn't !!

[Removed by poster at 06/11/14 17:19:22]

"I like his less well known ones like "oi, Hitler, you're a cunt" "

"

Still bitter about him being a Tory ?

No he wasn't !!"

Defo alcoholic and depressive. Not sure of the rest really.

No he wasn't !!"

he was a great soldier and a fantastic orator but his warfare skills were greatly exaggerated

Churchill is one of those rose tinted figurers that history looks upon with fondness and probably for good reason but he was also extremely flawed personality wise.

Still bitter about him being a Tory ?"

He changed parties several times which left him with many enemies in politics!. I'm not really bothered either way like I'm not bothered Chamberlain was a Tory either.

No he wasn't !! he was a great soldier and a fantastic orator but his warfare skills were greatly exaggerated

Churchill is one of those rose tinted figurers that history looks upon with fondness and probably for good reason but he was also extremely flawed personality wise."

Aren't we all to some extent.

Yes it's being human that gives us flaws I guess.

I was pointing out that history over looks some peoples flaws while overly dwells on others!

Hello Sexy Bum,

"Churchill is one of those rose tinted figurers that history looks upon with fondness and probably for good reason but he was also extremely flawed personality wise."

I don't think he was unique in that, so many people who are exceptional in some things have character defects, maybe that's why they are exceptional? Having said that I doubt if anyone's character is perfect?

Alec

"Yes it's being human that gives us flaws I guess.

I was pointing out that history over looks some peoples flaws while overly dwells on others!"

Like Gallipoli - not Churchills finest hour, and often forgotten.

By *inky BunnyMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

"

You missed out mass murderer: Dresden.

"Hello Sexy Bum,

"Churchill is one of those rose tinted figurers that history looks upon with fondness and probably for good reason but he was also extremely flawed personality wise."

I don't think he was unique in that, so many people who are exceptional in some things have character defects, maybe that's why they are exceptional? Having said that I doubt if anyone's character is perfect?

Alec"

No he was particularly flawed in lots of ways as I pointed out above, i was just noting that history overlooks it more for some than others.

As has been posted above his many military cock ups are very rarely known about

You missed out mass murderer: Dresden."

that was bomber Harris.

Actually Churchill wrote him a memo asking him to stop as it was making the British empire look bad, to which Harris asked him to re word the memo as Churchill's version "accused him off was crimes"

"

Interesting that you list depression as a flaw

"Lady Astor: Sir, if You were my husband I'd give you poison

Churchill: Madam, if I was your husband, I'd drink it."

One of my favourite quotes ever, makes me smile every time

Interesting that you list depression as a flaw "

obviously I listed his manic depression as a flaw as he was first lord of the admiralty.

It's never good planning tactics for major battles with someone who has death wish

Interesting that you list depression as a flaw obviously I listed his manic depression as a flaw as he was first lord of the admiralty.

It's never good planning tactics for major battles with someone who has death wish "

Did he have a death wish?

I am sure about one thing, he would love it that commies are still getting their knickers in a twist about him

By *inky BunnyMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

You missed out mass murderer: Dresden.that was bomber Harris.

Actually Churchill wrote him a memo asking him to stop as it was making the British empire look bad, to which Harris asked him to re word the memo as Churchill's version "accused him off was crimes""

Churchill wielded the might of a MEMO to stop British war crimes??? pmsl

in Lancashire

No he wasn't !! he was a great soldier and a fantastic orator but his warfare skills were greatly exaggerated

Churchill is one of those rose tinted figurers that history looks upon with fondness and probably for good reason but he was also extremely flawed personality wise."

don't we all have flaws..?

that he was a depressive is not a flaw, it was an illness..

Sad that a thread that celebrates the wit, charisma and and speaking abilities of the Greatest Briton to ever live has been reduced to lies and distortions and party politics ...

And personally I don't have a problem with what we did to Germany. We did to them what they did to us (and my parents) only we did it better and harder. The Germans shoed us NO mercy so I have NO regrets at all. For Dresden read Coventry. For Cologne read Birmingham. For Frankfurt read Glasgow. For Berlin read London. War is a filthy thing. There are no winners just those who lose least.

in Lancashire

what 'lies'..?

pray to elaborate instead of waxing lyrical about the obscenity that is 'collateral damage'..

You missed out mass murderer: Dresden."

You could say that about goering and hitler along with himmler and the rest.

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I've always thought that Atlee was the greater, personally.

"I've always thought that Atlee was the greater, personally. "

But who would win in a jelly wrestling contest?

[Removed by poster at 06/11/14 18:52:28]

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"Sad that a thread that celebrates the wit, charisma and and speaking abilities of the Greatest Briton to ever live has been reduced to lies and distortions and party politics ...

And personally I don't have a problem with what we did to Germany. We did to them what they did to us (and my parents) only we did it better and harder. The Germans shoed us NO mercy so I have NO regrets at all. For Dresden read Coventry. For Cologne read Birmingham. For Frankfurt read Glasgow. For Berlin read London. War is a filthy thing. There are no winners just those who lose least."

This.

Of course he had flaws, oh and as for the "Tory" bit, I'm proud that he was a member of the greatest (although these days looking a little ragged) political party Britain has ever had.

Gallipoli was a bit of an obsession for Churchill and was a great idea on paper but sadly it didn't work, but imagine if it had. WW1 could have been considerably shortened by an allied success there. He even carried on with the same thinking in WW2 when he wanted to land in Greece (what he called "the soft underbelly of Europe") but was overruled by the Americans.

Did he set up the Lusitania to be sunk? We will probably never know the truth, but he, rightly or wrongly, always saw the bigger picture. To him the death of a few passengers on an ocean liner was a small price to pay if it saved the lives of many thousands by bringing the Americans into the war.

Dresden? Churchill did have reservations about it, but he was under pressure from Stalin to use the RAF to help out on the eastern front, and Harris, who although subordinate to him, strongly favoured area bombing of cities as a way of shortening the war.

I would ask all the Churchill critics to ask themselves this. Had the Narvik landings turned out differently and Chamberlain carried on as Prime Minister, would any of us be here debating this today? I think not.

By *eordiesCouple  over a year ago

newcastle

"Sad that a thread that celebrates the wit, charisma and and speaking abilities of the Greatest Briton to ever live has been reduced to lies and distortions and party politics ...

And personally I don't have a problem with what we did to Germany. We did to them what they did to us (and my parents) only we did it better and harder. The Germans shoed us NO mercy so I have NO regrets at all. For Dresden read Coventry. For Cologne read Birmingham. For Frankfurt read Glasgow. For Berlin read London. War is a filthy thing. There are no winners just those who lose least.

This.

Of course he had flaws, oh and as for the "Tory" bit, I'm proud that he was a member of the greatest (although these days looking a little ragged) political party Britain has ever had.

Gallipoli was a bit of an obsession for Churchill and was a great idea on paper but sadly it didn't work, but imagine if it had. WW1 could have been considerably shortened by an allied success there. He even carried on with the same thinking in WW2 when he wanted to land in Greece (what he called "the soft underbelly of Europe") but was overruled by the Americans.

Did he set up the Lusitania to be sunk? We will probably never know the truth, but he, rightly or wrongly, always saw the bigger picture. To him the death of a few passengers on an ocean liner was a small price to pay if it saved the lives of many thousands by bringing the Americans into the war.

Dresden? Churchill did have reservations about it, but he was under pressure from Stalin to use the RAF to help out on the eastern front, and Harris, who although subordinate to him, strongly favoured area bombing of cities as a way of shortening the war.

I would ask all the Churchill critics to ask themselves this. Had the Narvik landings turned out differently and Chamberlain carried on as Prime Minister, would any of us be here debating this today? I think not."

Gallipoli could have worked. If the Allied soldiers had reached reached the heights above the beaches soon after they landed the Turks had very little to stop them moving inland and winning the battle. It was (as at Anzio) overly slow and cautious Generals who held the bulk of the troops on the beach and let the Turks consolidate the high ground.

J

By *riskynriskyCouple  over a year ago

Essex.

"

You say that like it's a bad thing...

Birmingham

Guys, this is supposed to be a cheerful thread celebrating the sharp wit and eccentricity of the man Let's not make it unpleasant.

Of course the man was flawed. But then again geniuses usually are. Sigmund Freud was addicted to cocaine; Einstein once plucked a grasshopper from a field and ate it. And he's been observed playing his violin in a field with tears running down his cheeks for no reason. Michelangelo was obsessed with the male anatomy and Oscar Wilde is well known nutcase

Churchill had his faults but he also had a very clever wit.

"Guys, this is supposed to be a cheerful thread celebrating the sharp wit and eccentricity of the man Let's not make it unpleasant.

Of course the man was flawed. But then again geniuses usually are. Sigmund Freud was addicted to cocaine; Einstein once plucked a grasshopper from a field and ate it. And he's been observed playing his violin in a field with tears running down his cheeks for no reason. Michelangelo was obsessed with the male anatomy and Oscar Wilde is well known nutcase

Churchill had his faults but he also had a very clever wit."

But he was a dirty Tory so evil must have seeped from every pour.

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Hereford

This.

I would ask all the Churchill critics to ask themselves this. Had the Narvik landings turned out differently and Chamberlain carried on as Prime Minister, would any of us be here debating this today? I think not."

I'm fairly certain that not a lot of Churchill's critics would be focussing on those points - I think we can mostly agree he was a decent wartime leader (although some may say that it takes a monster to fight a monster).

Churchills detractors (and I knew a few in my Grandfather's generation) tended to focus more on the fact that he was happy to turn the machine guns on British citizens during the general strike and his attitude to the dismantling of the empire.

I prefer his adventurous life during the boar war myself, and could happily recant many a great yarn of his.

It's funny how people always presume your critiquing when actually your trying to add balance.

It's quite clear there was already enough folk googling his quotes, so as somebody who's read his autobiography and many of his military campaigns (yeah I know what a terrible Commy i am)I felt it good to add some balance and maybe inject a few truths that might not be known.

" so as somebody who's read his autobiography and many of his military campaigns (yeah I know what a terrible Commy i am)I felt it good to add some balance and maybe inject a few truths that might not be known."

You're not such a mad Marxist after all if you have read Churchill. Have you read his 'History of the Second World War?

No I haven't I've sought of stuck to his early life and the first world war although his biography is obviously full of ww2 conversations.

And although somebody laughed at the thought of Churchill's memo to Harris, it's in his book if you wish to read it, and I certainly don't think Harris took it for a laughing matter.

» Add a new message to this topic