FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Hybrid

Hybrid

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

So there are more manufacturers producing hybrid vehicles mainly based at car drivers however we wonder why there are no commercial vehicle manufacturers producing the technology. With the cost of diesel surely it would help with running costs of large fleets and the environment.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I could be wrong, but I don't think they would be very efficient at pulling the amount of weight artics are built to pull

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

There's plenty of light electric vans out there.

And Glasgow has a number of electric buses on the roads.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I remember (just) Derby's Trolley Bus service. Was always fun when the conductor had to get off and put the connector back on the line

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

You cant make an economically viable engine / power unit in hybrid for anything over 3*5ton

They have for years.... milk floats

Diesel electric. Its been working for british rail for years. And they have started to make some diesel electric buses, so if you can use it for a 17 ton bus, and a 150 ton train, i dont see why you cant use it for an artic unless there is a space/packaging issue.

I think i would be a little bit awesome to drive a diesel electric truck, but then i am a bit odd.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Isn't a main restriction still the battery power and thus their range? It's improving but many commercials want long range without recharging restrictions.

By *obbytupperMan  over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

The QE2 was refit with a diesel/electric set up in 1984. 69,000 tons capable of 30 knots(40mph)

"Isn't a main restriction still the battery power and thus their range? It's improving but many commercials want long range without recharging restrictions."

Kind of. The problem with hybrids is static/slow moving traffic, it wastes the energy stored in the batteries, therefore it'll switch to the combustion engine sooner than it would had it been driving on a free flowing B road at 30mph. Also the size of an electric motor required to pull over 40 tons would be considerable and the weight of the batteries would probably weight more than the tractor unit they're fitted to.

The best use of hybrid technology in an HGV (or any vehicle) is what McLaren and Porchse are currently using. Basically is just 'boosts' the engine during gearchanges and adds torque when required. This would really help HGV's on busy hilly roads as they wouldn't slow to a crawl and cause lengthy ques behind them.

Got a phone call from my dad last week telling me he's bought a Nissan Leaf.......

I was very sceptical at first and still find them odd, they're like being in a dodgem, they make almost no noise !!

I've got a typhoon induction on my car which made being in such a a quiet car a very odd experience.

I was rather impressed though and they are faster than you would think

Still petrol all the way until it runs out........then I'll think about getting an electric

» Add a new message to this topic