FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Lactose intolerance

Lactose intolerance

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *isa 59 OP   Woman  over a year ago

Newcastle

Anyone here suffer with this? I think I've got it following a rather nasty gastro virus. Getting some contradictory diet info from googled websites. Just after some easy to follow rules please...apart from using lactose free milk.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *obbytupperMan  over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

Your gut will probably have lost it's good bacteria through the illness. Eat some cultured foods i.e foods which have been fermented, live yoghurt, kefir, sauerkraut to replace the good bacteria.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I have a small lactose intolerance,I use goats milk instead.it does have a different taste but it help me

Newcastle

"Your gut will probably have lost it's good bacteria through the illness. Eat some cultured foods i.e foods which have been fermented, live yoghurt, kefir, sauerkraut to replace the good bacteria."
Thank you...never thought of that approach.

Newcastle

"I have a small lactose intolerance,I use goats milk instead.it does have a different taste but it help me"
Thank you...I've tried lactofree and I'm now trying soyamilk...both of which taste nice

I've had it since birth.

The suggestion regarding eating fermented food may work for you, you could also try things like Yakult yoghurt drinks.

If you decide on the sauerkraut take the advice of a Polish bloke and add a bay leaf, it helps with the wind and stops you shutting yourself thin!....

Lactose intolerance is a very personal thing. What one person can eat, another can't.

Be careful with any medication, as it sometimes contains lactose.

Keep a food diary for a few months and work out what does and doesn't affect you. Try to test one dairy product at a time. So if you have cheese in a meal don't have cream etc..

If you're going out for a meal and can't control what's in your food Holland and Barrett sell Super Lactase Enzyme Capsules. They help to digest lactose. I use them occasionally and they work. No bloat or upset tum

Oh.. and Costas soya latte are lush

I have it my belly is very irritable the best of times

By *obbytupperMan  over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

"Your gut will probably have lost it's good bacteria through the illness. Eat some cultured foods i.e foods which have been fermented, live yoghurt, kefir, sauerkraut to replace the good bacteria.Thank you...never thought of that approach."

Got to be honest I was just today reading an article in the Mail on Sunday, You magazine. Interesting stuff.

Pop round and I'll give you the mag.

By *omSub_bullcplCouple  over a year ago

Biddeford

Have you tried the lactose enzyme pills from Holland and Barrett?

They are around £10 for 60 but you can often get two for one on them.

They have worked wonders for me. x

I used to be a manger for Holland and Barrett haha

Newcastle

Thanks for all your great advice peeps particularly the bay leaf...I'm already having probs staying off the loo so I might swerve the sauerkraut for a while! lol

By *r jblMan  over a year ago

from parts unknown

"Anyone here suffer with this? I think I've got it following a rather nasty gastro virus. Getting some contradictory diet info from googled websites. Just after some easy to follow rules please...apart from using lactose free milk."
. Hi. I'am L.i too. What you have to think about is how many things contain or have milk in the ingredients through prep. Like bread , biscuit soups oh and chocolate. These are only a few things. But all have milk in them. The main thing is you got to live your life so just cut down on all such foods. Iove cheese on toast so once I'm off work and I know that I've got nothing planned it have my c on t. And then I pay the price the next day. On & off the loo all day. Lol hope I've helped.

"Have you tried the lactose enzyme pills from Holland and Barrett?

They are around £10 for 60 but you can often get two for one on them.

They have worked wonders for me. x"

I've got lactose intolerance and use these, there a god send!

Also try digestive enzymes x

By *ightkitty4uWoman  over a year ago

Epsom

My pet Ferret is lactose intolerance, so are all ferrets. He eats a diet of meat and fish.

You could go on the Atkins diet, other than that not much help I'm afraid

Newcastle

Ha ha ha...rock on ferrets...I used to have two...great little characters

By *ingerrrrWoman  over a year ago

Meath

I'm lactose intolerant.

I now use unsweetened almond milk. It's lovely. I used to use soya but when I found out it actually effects your hormones I stopped and tried hazelnut (ok but a bit like Nutella) milk and then almond, which works really well for me.

I can also just about tolerate Greek yogurt the FAGE brand.

I can't use the lactose free milk it still causes tummy problems for me.

Try eliminating all dairy and reintroduce things bit by bit till you find your tolerance levels.

Best of luck

Lactose intolerant? Which part of the world are they from?

yrs

UKIP voter.

By *ipswingCouple  over a year ago

portrush

"Anyone here suffer with this? I think I've got it following a rather nasty gastro virus. Getting some contradictory diet info from googled websites. Just after some easy to follow rules please...apart from using lactose free milk."
hi... goats milk ... also porridge oats in the morning will feed and increase your own natural tummy bacteria.. each persons is unique so drinks etc do not stay in your system... good luck...

I have a wheat & dairy intolerance and find dairy is the worst one for me, but I have Alpro soya milk and love the Alpro yoghurts this way I still get my calcium.

Reading labels is a pain but worth it if you do have a real intolerance to certain foods.

Cut them out for 2 weeks and slowly reintroduce and see if you get any symptoms.

Hope you get on ok

» Add a new message to this topic