FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Living Wage Week

Living Wage Week

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *icketysplits OP   Woman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

It's Living Wage Week (from 2nd November).

Is it realistic for everyone to be paid a living wage?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Ummmmmm not under this Government with their 10% wage rise.

Wot is a living wage i work for the goverment n im entitled to benefits as my wage is low

Well if 92pc of the money is owned by 5pc of the population I'd say they could afford to pay a little bit more,for people to have a living wage!.

Some time soon with advancements in technology were going to have rethink how the system works anyhow as at least 60pc of jobs will be automated within 20-25 years according to a recent m.i.t study

"Wot is a living wage i work for the goverment n im entitled to benefits as my wage is low"

That is just shortsighted folly, scrimping in department budgets and taking the money from another pot when it all comes from the public purse.

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"It's Living Wage Week (from 2nd November).

"

Yes. Glasgow's Living Wage of £7.65 an hour is hardly a King's Ransom. A decent wage shows that employees are valued and most respond well.

Happy staff = happy customers = happy bosses.

You may know this, but do we ever day a "week off" week, ie as in one whole week with NO special days, weeks, events etc?

I can't keep up. Even though i've changed hands lol

"

You may know this, but do we ever day a "week off" week, ie as in one whole week with NO special days, weeks, events etc?

I can't keep up. Even though i've changed hands lol

"

It's Movember too.

"Wot is a living wage i work for the goverment n im entitled to benefits as my wage is low

That is just shortsighted folly, scrimping in department budgets and taking the money from another pot when it all comes from the public purse.

but its their standard rate of pay for 80% of their staff

"

By *ee VianteWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

"

It's not realistic for people not to be paid a living wage, particularly when they work for big companies that make large profits.

When people don't make a living wage, they claim benefits, which cost public money. Companies are making profits at a huge cost to the public. A lot of those companies that are paying low wages are also avoiding large amounts of tax. That's a double whammy.

Of course this doesn't necessarily apply to smaller companies or badly performing companies, which could be destroyed by increasing the minimum wage to a living wage. That needs to be taken into account in any changes to the minimum wage.

In terms of the economy, if people don't have money to spend, the economy stagnates. People buy only essentials, more businesses fail, unemployment rises, the benefit bill rises, homelessness rises. Then more people don't have money to spend and the cycle continues.

That's what's happening now and virtually everything the government is doing is making that worse, not better.

It's not realistic for people not to be paid a living wage, particularly when they work for big companies that make large profits.

When people don't make a living wage, they claim benefits, which cost public money. Companies are making profits at a huge cost to the public. A lot of those companies that are paying low wages are also avoiding large amounts of tax. That's a double whammy.

Of course this doesn't necessarily apply to smaller companies or badly performing companies, which could be destroyed by increasing the minimum wage to a living wage. That needs to be taken into account in any changes to the minimum wage.

In terms of the economy, if people don't have money to spend, the economy stagnates. People buy only essentials, more businesses fail, unemployment rises, the benefit bill rises, homelessness rises. Then more people don't have money to spend and the cycle continues.

That's what's happening now and virtually everything the government is doing is making that worse, not better."

QE has now ended but there is a school of thought that PPI claims have been the boost to the economy as people have treated this as free money so have been spending it.

Realistic?

Not in the slightest.

That's what's happening now and virtually everything the government is doing is making that worse, not better.

QE has now ended but there is a school of thought that PPI claims have been the boost to the economy as people have treated this as free money so have been spending it.

"

If rampant consumerism were the panacea for the economy it'd be so easy wouldn't it?

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"

That's probably the thinking behind Gideon's relaxation of the pension rules. That and his greedy eye on the tax take from the other 75%.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

The living wage is irrelevant to the millions on zero hours contracts. It doesn't make a huge amount of difference if you get £6.50 or £8 an hour when you never get a whole weeks work anyway.

Personally, I would love to see these zero hours contract banned... then start looking at the minimum wage.

If the Mail On Sunday are to be believed then you've no f*cking chance. Not whilst this is happening :

Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg "He remains entirely supoortive of efforts to ensure all women are treated as equals in this country and the world over."

Whilst happily posing in a £45 quid t-shirt made by women being paid the equivalent of 62p per hour, sleeping 16 to a room.

Can the hypocritical twunt (that's being mild) get any lower?

Info :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29868458

No chance, not even in Britain, the fuckers only care for themselves. End of.

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

Eh

"Eh "

Eh up

Put it this way, you won't see me wearing said "This is what a feminist looks like" T-shirt. Even if they were giving them away free with every order of Haddock, Chips and Mushy Peas.

Yes. Glasgow's Living Wage of £7.65 an hour is hardly a King's Ransom. A decent wage shows that employees are valued and most respond well.

Happy staff = happy customers = happy bosses."

7.65 ph I gladly take that.

"

If the Mail On Sunday are to be believed then you've no f*cking chance. Not whilst this is happening :

Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg "He remains entirely supoortive of efforts to ensure all women are treated as equals in this country and the world over."

Whilst happily posing in a £45 quid t-shirt made by women being paid the equivalent of 62p per hour, sleeping 16 to a room.

Can the hypocritical twunt (that's being mild) get any lower?

Info :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29868458

No chance, not even in Britain, the fuckers only care for themselves. End of.

"

That's an issue for all of us: we happily wear things made by little better than slave labour. Here women still don't have pay parity and we have ingrained views about jobs being gendered.

"The living wage is irrelevant to the millions on zero hours contracts. It doesn't make a huge amount of difference if you get £6.50 or £8 an hour when you never get a whole weeks work anyway.

Personally, I would love to see these zero hours contract banned... then start looking at the minimum wage."

I agree about zero hours contracts but people often forget to check whether their contractors operate in this way even if their organisation won't.

By *preadeagleCouple  over a year ago

hull

Happy staff = happy customers = happy bosses."

sorry I know its Sunday but why is it Scotland are on a better hourly rate and get free prescriptions ?? And the rage begins lol politics piss me off the average working Joe are basically getting ripped off by big companys such as gas/electric blah blah minimum wage is a joke but if your a politician you can have two homes because the peoples tax's will pay. And if your on benefits don't worry because the working Joe will pay your rent and tax aswell as their own. ( and yes im aware its not all people on benefits some are actually needy not greedy)

Happy staff = happy customers = happy bosses.

sorry I know its Sunday but why is it Scotland are on a better hourly rate and get free prescriptions ?? And the rage begins lol politics piss me off the average working Joe are basically getting ripped off by big companys such as gas/electric blah blah minimum wage is a joke but if your a politician you can have two homes because the peoples tax's will pay. And if your on benefits don't worry because the working Joe will pay your rent and tax aswell as their own. ( and yes im aware its not all people on benefits some are actually needy not greedy) "

Most benefits go to pensioners and those in work. The living wage would take those getting in work benefits out of that category.

Is relation to what is a living wage surely there has to be some kind of allowance for how many hours you put in and what your expenses are traveling there I mean I do 60hrs per week @ just over £8 And cycle to work which means at th end of the week I'm financially much better than somebody earning £9 but doing 40hrs and driving to and from work

"Is relation to what is a living wage surely there has to be some kind of allowance for how many hours you put in and what your expenses are traveling there I mean I do 60hrs per week @ just over £8 And cycle to work which means at th end of the week I'm financially much better than somebody earning £9 but doing 40hrs and driving to and from work "

Relational wage in that way is never going to happen.

More a point that if you need £x to live but only earn £y try if possible to reduce x or increase y with overtime

"More a point that if you need £x to live but only earn £y try if possible to reduce x or increase y with overtime "

Lots of employers don't pay overtime, even when worked. It becomes expected as part of the work culture. I used to work 60-70 hours a week but my contract and pay was calculated on 35 hours. I earned well above minimum wage and loved what I did so it wasn't an issue for me. However, I monitor hours worked for anyone working for me as I don't approve of long hours and not being recompensed.

By *panker53Man  over a year ago

leeds

[Removed by poster at 02/11/14 09:18:47]

The worst is apprentice wages. I was earning £2.65 an hour working full time trying to support my family. People in government often forget some under 25s haven't got a mummy and daddy that pay for everything. And take it back some years most people were married with kids at 25. Why is that so unacceptable now!?!

*Scowly face

"More a point that if you need £x to live but only earn £y try if possible to reduce x or increase y with overtime

Lots of employers don't pay overtime, even when worked. It becomes expected as part of the work culture. I used to work 60-70 hours a week but my contract and pay was calculated on 35 hours. I earned well above minimum wage and loved what I did so it wasn't an issue for me. However, I monitor hours worked for anyone working for me as I don't approve of long hours and not being recompensed.

"

That's not a living wage issue though that's more a work place practice issue I'd think I'm glad on that count I'm hourly paid sometimes bosses and colleague apply pressure directly or indirectly and people feel compelled to work for free that's never good

Scunthorpe

"

I agree about zero hours contracts but people often forget to check whether their contractors operate in this way even if their organisation won't.

"

When it comes to the lowest paid jobs, such as factory workers, cleaning staff and care assistants, many employers are staffed entirely by agency workers. These agency workers have little if any choice about being on zero hours contracts. If they don't take the work, then they get "sanctioned" by the benifits system and still get no money.

By *panker53Man  over a year ago

leeds

"The living wage is irrelevant to the millions on zero hours contracts. It doesn't make a huge amount of difference if you get £6.50 or £8 an hour when you never get a whole weeks work anyway.

Personally, I would love to see these zero hours contract banned... then start looking at the minimum wage."

fully agree zero hours contract should be banned especially as most are minimum wage jobs at least with angency work you get he choice to work or not

zero hours jobs only make the governments employment figure look good

as for a living wage we could all do with a pay rise mine been frozen for 3 years and cant seem to chage coz most new jobs are zero hours contract

"The worst is apprentice wages. I was earning £2.65 an hour working full time trying to support my family. People in government often forget some under 25s haven't got a mummy and daddy that pay for everything. And take it back some years most people were married with kids at 25. Why is that so unacceptable now!?!

*Scowly face"

This government has increased the age for being 'young' for housing benefit too. Apparently it costs less to be young. I gave argued that the apprenticeship rate should be the same as the minimum wage, at least.

Minimum wage is another beast all together you find in some jobs now that before you know it you're too old because why pay somebody 26 £6 odd when you can pay an 18yr old half the wage

"The worst is apprentice wages. I was earning £2.65 an hour working full time trying to support my family. People in government often forget some under 25s haven't got a mummy and daddy that pay for everything. And take it back some years most people were married with kids at 25. Why is that so unacceptable now!?!

*Scowly face

This government has increased the age for being 'young' for housing benefit too. Apparently it costs less to be young. I gave argued that the apprenticeship rate should be the same as the minimum wage, at least."

If you are in full time education ( as my OH was ) you get almost nothing. Due to this and getting less as a young person. We spent a few nights in the dark eating salad.

I'm not a massive fan of the benefit system, but if it is geared so that working people can't live without them so be it.

Scunthorpe

"Minimum wage is another beast all together you find in some jobs now that before you know it you're too old because why pay somebody 26 £6 odd when you can pay an 18yr old half the wage "

To be honest, in our area at least, I've not actually found anyone who doesn't pay the full adult minimum wage regardless of age (which does surprise me). My son, who is now 20, has been in and out of low paid factory jobs since he was 17 but never been paid less then the full minimum wage.

Anyone 21 or older is entitled to the "Full" minimum wage.

"Minimum wage is another beast all together you find in some jobs now that before you know it you're too old because why pay somebody 26 £6 odd when you can pay an 18yr old half the wage

To be honest, in our area at least, I've not actually found anyone who doesn't pay the full adult minimum wage regardless of age (which does surprise me). My son, who is now 20, has been in and out of low paid factory jobs since he was 17 but never been paid less then the full minimum wage.

Anyone 21 or older is entitled to the "Full" minimum wage."

In my experience it's the hospitality industry that is most guilty of this especially the part time/casual staff shifts

Define a living wage, when the rich are describing it for the working man, enough to not starve to death and to be able to get into work, a bedsit with shared facilities (which they charge the rent) and that about it. For themselves it two German cars and two holidays abroad a year and a detached house and they may just get out of bed.

I think the minimum wage certainly has a place but the problem is people should be paid what they're worth, I think the money paid to barstaff, restaurant workers is criminal considering the profit levels and it actually is a hard job dealing with the public.

The tax level has to set to the correct level to encourage people to work and to open businesses, the only fair way is to close as many loop holes as they find and to tell the like of Starbuck, Amazon etc, to either play fair or pay tax on their gross profit, if not get out, same goes for tax exiles and various other off shore schemes, if they earned it here pay tax on it here, otherwise, fuck right off and don't come back.

"Define a living wage, when the rich are describing it for the working man, enough to not starve to death and to be able to get into work, a bedsit with shared facilities (which they charge the rent) and that about it. For themselves it two German cars and two holidays abroad a year and a detached house and they may just get out of bed.

I think the minimum wage certainly has a place but the problem is people should be paid what they're worth, I think the money paid to barstaff, restaurant workers is criminal considering the profit levels and it actually is a hard job dealing with the public.

The tax level has to set to the correct level to encourage people to work and to open businesses, the only fair way is to close as many loop holes as they find and to tell the like of Starbuck, Amazon etc, to either play fair or pay tax on their gross profit, if not get out, same goes for tax exiles and various other off shore schemes, if they earned it here pay tax on it here, otherwise, fuck right off and don't come back.

"

From the Living Wage Foundation, it is:

An hourly rate set independently and updated annually.

The Living Wage is calculated according to the basic cost of living in the UK.

Employers choose to pay the Living Wage on a voluntary basis.

"Eh

Eh up

Put it this way, you won't see me wearing said "This is what a feminist looks like" T-shirt. Even if they were giving them away free with every order of Haddock, Chips and Mushy Peas. "

At £45 quid each neither will I!

Take your point, I was confusing the minimum wage with what you were actually posting, should of read it properly.

As someone who runs a successful, believe it not manufacturing business, I've always held the belief in the pay peanuts etc. Even the cleaners get £12 an hour, I want the job done properly and I want it done in good time.

There is a reason for this, its not being nice, I sack people, not often but I have and will do again, if necessary. Its simple really its easy to recruit, its easy to hold onto staff, they're motivated and if they're not and they don't meet the minimum requirement they're out the door, (unless there is an underlying reason) because I have a filing cabinet full of CV's.

I attend functions with other businessmen who moan constantly about not being able to recruit or the laziness of their workforce yet they pay minimum wage, hell I wouldn't work for that and neither would they.

And the really annoying thing is that my tax is paying housing benefit, tax credit to subsidise these clowns low wages.

Used to do factory job with crap wages 45 hours average.

Now I took my ass to college and turned me hobby into me job.. ( ICT person)

Now on a better 23 quid a hour :+)

But I worked hard to get there made me appreciate it more

"Define a living wage, when the rich are describing it for the working man, enough to not starve to death and to be able to get into work, a bedsit with shared facilities (which they charge the rent) and that about it. For themselves it two German cars and two holidays abroad a year and a detached house and they may just get out of bed.

"

I'm a single mom, working 27.5 hours per week (worked full time from the age of 16 to my 6 months maternity leave). My income gets topped up tax credits and some housing benefit as I have childcare costs. The maximum it gets topped up to is 13k as that is the figure the government state I should be able to live on. I'm 44 years old, I earned 13k as a 24 year old. I would love to see MPs try and live on 13k per annum.

"Used to do factory job with crap wages 45 hours average.

Now I took my ass to college and turned me hobby into me job.. ( ICT person)

Now on a better 23 quid a hour :+)

But I worked hard to get there made me appreciate it more"

Congratulations on improving your lot but not everyone has the opportunity to go to college. I don't see this as a reason to rip someone off, you don't need to have qualifications to have brains and to work hard/smart. Some of the most useless people I've had working for me have excellent degrees, they think they know it all.

I/we design and make highly engineered parts don't have any. I learnt in the field and most of the best people I have did the same, they simply have a feel for the job and can adapt.

I honestly believe this country suffers greatly by dumping people on the scrapheap because they don't have a scrap of paper.

Brent council now offering a discount on business rates if business pays the London Living Wage.

» Add a new message to this topic