FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Gardening Injury

Gardening Injury

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *opping_candy OP   Woman  over a year ago

West Yorkshire

I wasn out tackling a massive prickly bush this morning and it took revenge on me by stabbing me in the head. I now have a large thorn stuck in my scalp in a place I can't see. I will have to get my mum to help later!!

Anyone had any unusual gardening injuries, or more the run of the mill standing on a rake type thing?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

i fell into a magnolia tree while i was pruning it

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Our cat lost an eye to a thorn..

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

[Removed by poster at 01/11/14 16:32:21]

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

This happened when I was about 8 or 9, helping my grandad in his allotment. I had been digging over a section ready to replant with a fork, I had seen my grandad throw his fork into the ground so I copied. All was Ok till I tried to walk away, I had thrown the fork through my shoe, foot and into the ground.

I screamed when I found out what i had done as you would, got taken inside the house my nan sorted the cut out by covering it with salt.

After going to A&E I had missed the bone as it went between my little toe and the one next to it.

By *ee VianteWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

I chopped a large 15+ feet long leylandii right back ready to remove the stumps, chopped up the branches and bagged them for disposal. I wore eye protection, a long sleeved shirt and thick gloves.

It was around Easter and I'm told that's when the 'sap is up' and they're most sappy.

I found out the next day, when my entire face and body were swollen - both eyes swollen nearly closed - and covered in a rash, I am allergic to leylandii. Seriously allergic. It took 6 weeks to fully recover because my skin turned dry and crusty as the swelling went down! It was delightful.

I've since found I'm allergic to all evergreens. I'd not connected the dots but if I get lightly scratched by a Christmas tree needle the area swells.

West Yorkshire

"I chopped a large 15+ feet long leylandii right back ready to remove the stumps, chopped up the branches and bagged them for disposal. I wore eye protection, a long sleeved shirt and thick gloves.

It was around Easter and I'm told that's when the 'sap is up' and they're most sappy.

I found out the next day, when my entire face and body were swollen - both eyes swollen nearly closed - and covered in a rash, I am allergic to leylandii. Seriously allergic. It took 6 weeks to fully recover because my skin turned dry and crusty as the swelling went down! It was delightful.

I've since found I'm allergic to all evergreens. I'd not connected the dots but if I get lightly scratched by a Christmas tree needle the area swells."

Poor thing! And of course you'd never have known beforehand because how often does one demolish an evergreen? I did think it was ironic that although I had been cursing myself for not getting gardening gloves and finding something thicker to cover my arms, that I couldn't have avoided this unless I'd been wearing a helmet

West Yorkshire

"This happened when I was about 8 or 9, helping my grandad in his allotment. I had been digging over a section ready to replant with a fork, I had seen my grandad throw his fork into the ground so I copied. All was Ok till I tried to walk away, I had thrown the fork through my shoe, foot and into the ground.

I screamed when I found out what i had done as you would, got taken inside the house my nan sorted the cut out by covering it with salt.

After going to A&E I had missed the bone as it went between my little toe and the one next to it. "

Salt owwwwww

West Yorkshire

"Our cat lost an eye to a thorn.."

By *ee VianteWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

"I chopped a large 15+ feet long leylandii right back ready to remove the stumps, chopped up the branches and bagged them for disposal. I wore eye protection, a long sleeved shirt and thick gloves.

I've since found I'm allergic to all evergreens. I'd not connected the dots but if I get lightly scratched by a Christmas tree needle the area swells.

Poor thing! And of course you'd never have known beforehand because how often does one demolish an evergreen? I did think it was ironic that although I had been cursing myself for not getting gardening gloves and finding something thicker to cover my arms, that I couldn't have avoided this unless I'd been wearing a helmet "

I certainly never intended to do it again.

I'm torn on the Christmas tree front though. I'm having my own for the first time this year. I love real ones but I'm think artificial might be more sensible. I don't think an artificial one will be the same though.

West Yorkshire

Poor thing! And of course you'd never have known beforehand because how often does one demolish an evergreen? I did think it was ironic that although I had been cursing myself for not getting gardening gloves and finding something thicker to cover my arms, that I couldn't have avoided this unless I'd been wearing a helmet

I certainly never intended to do it again.

I'm torn on the Christmas tree front though. I'm having my own for the first time this year. I love real ones but I'm think artificial might be more sensible. I don't think an artificial one will be the same though."

I've never had a real one so to me, real ones look odd!

I, Fox, had a nasty flu years ago and passed out against a rubber plant in a pot.

Unfortunately there was a bamboo cane in the pot and the tip missed my right eye and skidded across my brow tearing a large hole in my scalp.

We put a plaster over it rather than going to hospital and this fascinated the vet each time she came to the farm as she wanted to see how it was healing without stitches.

It healed nicely and all our canes have those rubber tops on now.

West Yorkshire

"I, Fox, had a nasty flu years ago and passed out against a rubber plant in a pot.

Unfortunately there was a bamboo cane in the pot and the tip missed my right eye and skidded across my brow tearing a large hole in my scalp.

We put a plaster over it rather than going to hospital and this fascinated the vet each time she came to the farm as she wanted to see how it was healing without stitches.

It healed nicely and all our canes have those rubber tops on now. "

Lucky!

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Hereford

I was pulling bind of a shrub once, not realising that one of the branches had a wasps nest in, which I smacked against my head.....

Ever had a wasp in your ear?

My grandfather died of a gardening accident (sort of). He was 97 and tending to his 'special' plants. It was the first time he'd been in hospital since coming to England in 1947.

By *izzy RascallMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

I stamped on a rake thinking what happened in cartoons was fake.

It isn't, the pole will come up from the ground and smack you in the face.

I felt like such a tit but thankfully nobody was looking

West Yorkshire

"I stamped on a rake thinking what happened in cartoons was fake.

It isn't, the pole will come up from the ground and smack you in the face.

I felt like such a tit but thankfully nobody was looking"

I once learned that a similar thing happens if you try to forcefully wring out a mop into a bucket that is mostly empty

West Yorkshire

"I was pulling bind of a shrub once, not realising that one of the branches had a wasps nest in, which I smacked against my head.....

Ever had a wasp in your ear?"

No..

"My grandfather died of a gardening accident (sort of). He was 97 and tending to his 'special' plants. It was the first time he'd been in hospital since coming to England in 1947."
To be doing any gardening at 97 Years old his a tribute to him anyway..

"I was pulling bind of a shrub once, not realising that one of the branches had a wasps nest in, which I smacked against my head.....

Ever had a wasp in your ear?"

Is it similar to being married?

» Add a new message to this topic