FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Fireworks ban

Fireworks ban

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *icketysplits OP   Woman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Is it time for the UK to have a ban on fireworks?

The possible death of one person and hurt to four others at the Staffordshire fireworks factory today is unusual. However, people are hurt every year by fireworks.

I love looking at them but now that we can do light shows perhaps we should stop selling them to the public.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Not sure how that would work x just drive it underground and be more dangerous.

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

It's not about banning them it's about regulating those that use them. If we stop selling them to the public it's bound to send the whole thing underground.....

By *ichaelangelaCouple  over a year ago

notts

"It's not about banning them it's about regulating those that use them. If we stop selling them to the public it's bound to send the whole thing underground....."

rockets wont be much use if they go underground

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I'm not sure that people being hurt stands up as a valid reason for banning them. I have no statistics but I hazard a guess that far more people suffer life changing injuries through sporting accidents and traffic incidents.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"It's not about banning them it's about regulating those that use them. If we stop selling them to the public it's bound to send the whole thing underground.....

rockets wont be much use if they go underground "

"I'm not sure that people being hurt stands up as a valid reason for banning them. I have no statistics but I hazard a guess that far more people suffer life changing injuries through sporting accidents and traffic incidents."

Of course it does.

Certain dangerous dog breeds are banned but by your logic they wouldn't be.

"Is it time for the UK to have a ban on fireworks?

The possible death of one person and hurt to four others at the Staffordshire fireworks factory today is unusual. However, people are hurt every year by fireworks.

I love looking at them but now that we can do light shows perhaps we should stop selling them to the public."

So shouldn't we also ban cars, planes, theme park rides, swimming, the list could go on and on?!

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I'm not sure that people being hurt stands up as a valid reason for banning them. I have no statistics but I hazard a guess that far more people suffer life changing injuries through sporting accidents and traffic incidents.

Of course it does.

Certain dangerous dog breeds are banned but by your logic they wouldn't be."

Yea and that's worked !

They're explosives- I can't see how anyone over 16 can walk into their local supermarket or newsagent and buy as many as they can afford- then blow them up anywhere without regulation.

It can be controlled as that's already in place for explosives and pyrotechnics, both of which require certification to buy. The latter is quite simple to achieve, so anyone wanting to put on a display would need to do a 1 day training course if it's kept in line with pyro use, not much of an effort for people who really want to put on a display themselves.

wtf?

fuckin' motor vehicles and bad driving are dangerous, 100's and 1000's and killed and seriously injured every year.

Do you want to ban those?

By *ee VianteWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

I love looking at them but now that we can do light shows perhaps we should stop selling them to the public."

I'd like to see their use restricted to organised displays.

"

wtf?

fuckin' motor vehicles and bad driving are dangerous, 100's and 1000's and killed and seriously injured every year.

Do you want to ban those? "

No...but neither do we allow anyone access to them without passing both s written and a practical test.

Any dickhead with £40 can currently buy enough explosives to blow his...or someone else hand off

"

wtf?

No...but neither do we allow anyone access to them without passing both s written and a practical test.

Any dickhead with £40 can currently buy enough explosives to blow his...or someone else hand off"

For less than a £10 you can buy plenty of things that could take your hand off or someone else's. Without passing a test.

Want to start banning all of those?

"

wtf?

Do you want to ban those? "

But motor vehicles are pretty much essential for modern day living. You can't really say the same about fireworks. I don't agree with a total ban, but I do think they should be restricted to professionally conducted displays, and only on certain dates or occasions. People who have pets, like myself, get really pissed off when some fuckwit spends their benefit money on half a ton of sparkly explosive and sets it off at any given time, rendering said pets into a quivering wreck in the corner with a questionable shutter-speed on their anus

The only purpose of fireworks is entertainment. The same cannot be said for cars, buses, aeroplanes etc.

I think that so many injuries being caused by something that has no use or benefit beyond entertainment, is a good reason to introduce regulation. That's particularly true if there are other means of providing the same type of entertainment.

No I was merely pointing out that comparing motoring injuries and talking about banning driving was ludicrous.

But you knew that anyway

I wish they would only sell them a couple of days beforehand as the idiot kids round my way are already setting them off

"

wtf?

But motor vehicles are pretty much essential for modern day living. You can't really say the same about fireworks. I don't agree with a total ban, but I do think they should be restricted to professionally conducted displays, and only on certain dates or occasions. People who have pets, like myself, get really pissed off when some fuckwit spends their benefit money on half a ton of sparkly explosive and sets it off at any given time, rendering said pets into a quivering wreck in the corner with a questionable shutter-speed on their anus "

Every year the period during which fireworks are widely available for sale seems to get longer. Every year fireworks start being let off well before November 5th and it continues randomly through until New Year, sometimes longer.

We no longer have Bonfire Night, we have 3+ months of it. Pet owners can keep their pets in for one night or weekend but not for 3 months!

"No I was merely pointing out that comparing motoring injuries and talking about banning driving was ludicrous.

But you knew that anyway"

The gist of the posts on here all seem to be about self, self, self, "essential" cars (as if) , pets etc but fuck those who enjoy fireworks.

Good job we all get enjoyment in different ways.

For the record, i only attend official Bonfires and firework displays.

"

The gist of the posts on here all seem to be about self, self, self, "essential" cars (as if) , pets etc but fuck those who enjoy fireworks.

For the record, i only attend official Bonfires and firework displays. "

It's not fuck those who enjoy fireworks as there would still be organised displays.

It's fuck the kids who want to throw them at each other, launch them through people's letterboxes and drop them into confined spaces such as postboxes. It's fuck those who want to be antisocial with them.

Fireworks are fine for a few nights when people know to expect them. Being subjected to them randomly for a 3+ month period is not fine. Being injured or having property destroyed by irresponsible twats using them dangerously is not fine.

Regulation is needed to stop this, (ok, limit it as it may not be possible to prevent it totally).

And how is considering the number of people injured every year thinking about self, self, self?

I'm also not thinking of myself when I'm concerned about my pets. They are creatures in their own right, not possessions.

It's the people who enjoy fireworks without caring about the people injured every year that are self, self, self.

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"

It's not fuck those who enjoy fireworks as there would still be organised displays.

It's fuck the kids who want to throw them at each other, launch them through people's letterboxes and drop them into confined spaces such as postboxes. It's fuck those who want to be antisocial with them.

Fireworks are fine for a few nights when people know to expect them. Being subjected to them randomly for a 3+ month period is not fine. Being injured or having property destroyed by irresponsible twats using them dangerously is not fine.

Regulation is needed to stop this, (ok, limit it as it may not be possible to prevent it totally)."

they are regulated for instance did you know it is illegal to set off fireworks within fifty yards of a public highway /righti of way ? It's an old law that's never used

If people are determined enough they'll just make their own, which is even more dangerous. Two of the ingredients are sugar and cat litter (I won't tell you the others but they're widely and freely available from supermarkets). Keeping them legal probably reduces accidents and damage to property because what's available to the public are generally quite low explosive.

By *iercedItMan  over a year ago

Mcr

can we ban smoking, drinking and fireworks, since banning drugs worked so well, May as well ban those too.

prohibition rocks... for criminals.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

Thousands of people get hurt or killed by cars every year yet we never talk of banning them.

If we ban everything that has the potential to hurt life would be fucking boring. Why should we have to legislate for all the stupid people?!

My answer is no btw

Letting them off at midnight new year should be illegal. Totally inconsiderate to those with young children and the elderly who are asleep by then

By *ouple36DDCouple  over a year ago

Manchester

They have been banned in Australia for years

evesham

I am a pet owner and still love fireworks.

My cats aren't remotely bothered by fireworks going off.

evesham

"They have been banned in Australia for years "

They have one of the biggest firework displays ever at new year though

evesham

"Letting them off at midnight new year should be illegal. Totally inconsiderate to those with young children and the elderly who are asleep by then "

Lol it hardly springs up on people though does it. It's the same fucking date every year!!!

"They're explosives- I can't see how anyone over 16 can walk into their local supermarket or newsagent and buy as many as they can afford- then blow them up anywhere without regulation.

It can be controlled as that's already in place for explosives and pyrotechnics, both of which require certification to buy. The latter is quite simple to achieve, so anyone wanting to put on a display would need to do a 1 day training course if it's kept in line with pyro use, not much of an effort for people who really want to put on a display themselves. "

By *ickawitchCouple  over a year ago

Away with the fairies (Liverpool to you)

I love looking at them but now that we can do light shows perhaps we should stop selling them to the public.

I'd like to see their use restricted to organised displays. "

"They're explosives- I can't see how anyone over 16 can walk into their local supermarket or newsagent and buy as many as they can afford- then blow them up anywhere without regulation.

It can be controlled as that's already in place for explosives and pyrotechnics, both of which require certification to buy. The latter is quite simple to achieve, so anyone wanting to put on a display would need to do a 1 day training course if it's kept in line with pyro use, not much of an effort for people who really want to put on a display themselves. "

You have to be 18 to buy them I think

By *ouple36DDCouple  over a year ago

Manchester

"They have been banned in Australia for years

They have one of the biggest firework displays ever at new year though "

Organised events are ok but you can't buy them over the counter

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I struggle to understand why people spend tens or hundreds of pounds to buy fireworks when you can generally get into most professionally run displays for five to ten quid. The pro display will usually be much better and last longer too...

By *iverpool LoverMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"

For the record, i only attend official Bonfires and firework displays. "

sounds to me like you are the one with the "self self self" attitude.

as someome who has a dog whi is literaly petrified when a firework goes off and physically shakes for a good ten mins afterwards until calm again. I cant stand this time of year.

there should be a law that fireworks can only be used on bonfire night and new years eve and sold 24 hours before... then pet owners can prepare...keep them in a room with you watch a movie with volume high or somthing until its over... but as it is now fire works go off at any given moment and are getting louder and louder every year it seeems.

If you find fireworks entertaining go to one of the designated organised displays.

An accident at a fireworks factory would have happened regardless of whether those fireworks were for sale to the public or qualified pyros. This accident is not a good basis for a ban...

stop selling them publically n just av displays!!!

"Letting them off at midnight new year should be illegal. Totally inconsiderate to those with young children and the elderly who are asleep by then

Lol it hardly springs up on people though does it. It's the same fucking date every year!!! "

This made me chuckle..sorry Evie

But your so right

Brilliant idea november the 5th is just an excuse for most people to burn tons of toxic waste, with all the associated pollution . modern light shows are much more enviromentaly friendly .

We are one of those families who have fireworks in our garden every year along with a bonfire, which we make a guy for. We have a little party with food, burgers, hotdogs, mushy peas, jacket potatoes, roasted chestnuts. It's great fun, an excuse for the family to get together and has been a tradition throughout my life. Yes there is a risk, but if used and respected this should be negated.

I love fireworks, not so much the big ones though as we live near the docks and every time there is a cruise ship leaving port, they set off fireworks. It's all year round and sometimes we have three ships a week

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

I've never liked fireworks, never taken my kids to a display, think they are pointless but ban them? No!

I don't think there should be a ban but sales should be regulated. Around our way the kids seem to get hold of rockets and bangers and they're going off at all times of night for weeks beforehand which can be a pain in the arse.

"Letting them off at midnight new year should be illegal. Totally inconsiderate to those with young children and the elderly who are asleep by then

Lol it hardly springs up on people though does it. It's the same fucking date every year!!! "

I would back a ban on the sale of fireworks to the public.

There's no need for folk to be running around with explosives.

I wondered what would happen if I lit the fuse and walked away.

Good points on both sides of the argument.

I will lob in Diwali to the dates now.

They should be banned, no question about it.

Apart from the hammering the give the atmosphere, and the injuries they cause.

We use them every November the 5th to celebrating the death of Guy Fawkes.

Who by all rights should be a national hero. After all he did try his best to blow up the houses of parliament.

"Good on him" I say, and a crying shame he didn't susceed.

"They should be banned, no question about it.

Apart from the hammering the give the atmosphere, and the injuries they cause.

We use them every November the 5th to celebrating the death of Guy Fawkes.

Who by all rights should be a national hero. After all he did try his best to blow up the houses of parliament.

"Good on him" I say, and a crying shame he didn't susceed.

"

A different debate but you are describing Fawkes as a freedom fighter but if the same happened now he would be a terrorist as he was then.

"Letting them off at midnight new year should be illegal. Totally inconsiderate to those with young children and the elderly who are asleep by then "

So I'm guessing that if you are invited to a new years eve party and at 12.00 the hosts decide to let off fireworks, at that point you explain that you are leaving because its unfair on all the small children and elderly in the area??

Fireworks are not the problem, people are the problem. A firework sat on its own away from any ignition source is perfectly harmless.

A car is perfectly harmless if driven within the highway code and with due care and attention.

The same applies to many thing that seriously injure or kill many people every year.

Take something perfectly safe and attach an idiot too it and you have a recipe for disaster.

Restrict use to licensed events with h & s involved and sales to licensed venders and that would be a step towards ending the annual news of x amount of people dying, losing fingers, houses burning down.

Of course people would still obtain them illegally but that would then be possession of explosives and discharging an explosive device which im pretty sure is illegal. My thoughts anyway..inky

By *izzy RascallMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

If you ban fireworks then I want Christmas banned too. Its only fair. Christmas probably causes more deaths anyway. Far more dangerous.

Waste of money!!!

Go buy some fresh fruit and veg instead.

they should be banned it was in the news the other day saying kids were throwing them at firemen and they frighten my little dog.

They have one of the biggest firework displays ever at new year though

Organised events are ok but you can't buy them over the counter "

As Mentioned earlier In this post If joe Public was denied access to them over The counter In this country uk they would find unlawful means to get Access to them, but again It will Always be the Iresponsible one,s that

Step over the line where safety,s Concerned my generation was no better where fireworks were concerned when Still at school, but at least then they were not letting them off Throughout the year like now and the Cost of fireworks now is ridiculous but that does not deter most folk for A few pretty colours and a bang or two.

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

Regulated displays only would suit me. They aren't essential and their only purpose is display so this wouldn't be an unwarranted step. I'll grant you can make your own, but that is more trouble than many people would want to go. The same can be said of any black market in fireworks. Someone, somewhere will take advantage of this, but a lot of people won't want to take that much trouble

Some people make their own now, even though they are easily available commercially, just to see if they can

*ahem*

We may never stop that totally.

"Some people make their own now, even though they are easily available commercially, just to see if they can

*ahem*

We may never stop that totally."

It's ridiculously easy, I can virtually guarantee that you have everything you need in your kitchen to make them.

Personally I think a ban is just another step towards a total nanny state. Next thing we'll all only be allowed to wear grey and have the same haircut if some of you get your way.

Cardiff

As a kid I was one of those fools that used o fire them at each other, me and my mates used to have epic battles with them/each other.

Bunch of twats.

" It's ridiculously easy, I can virtually guarantee that you have everything you need in your kitchen to make them."

I know and yes, I do.

Most people wouldn't bother though.

No

" It's ridiculously easy, I can virtually guarantee that you have everything you need in your kitchen to make them.

I know and yes, I do.

Most people wouldn't bother though."

Most won't because they're still available to the public but a ban will almost certainly see people researching how to make their own. At that point we'll be needing special licenses to buy everyday household items like sugar.....Probably!

Personally I think the current laws are fine and people should just lighten up, there's far more dangerous things out there.

Cardiff

" It's ridiculously easy, I can virtually guarantee that you have everything you need in your kitchen to make them.

I know and yes, I do.

Most won't because they're still available to the public but a ban will almost certainly see people researching how to make their own. At that point we'll be needing special licenses to buy everyday household items like sugar.....Probably!

Personally I think the current laws are fine and people should just lighten up, there's far more dangerous things out there."

Like cats

I know and yes, I do.

Personally I think the current laws are fine and people should just lighten up, there's far more dangerous things out there.

Like cats"

Definitely cats!

Banning everything that could possibly hurt someone will lead to most people losing the most vital skill required to live - COMMON SENSE. Imagine the anarchy if that totally disappears.

By *icefellatwoMan  over a year ago

hastings

We are going to end up as a nanny state you cant do this you cant do that.

The other day they were talking about banning smoking in parks ( I am a non smoker) what about the exhaust pipes of all the cars that drive round the parks.

Why not ban fireworks for the pollution they cause as well

What a load of crap!

Try telling that to my 1 and 2 year old who come midnight will wake up screaming completely terrified of fucking ww3 going off outside, try telling my two dogs that when they sit in a puddle of their piss quivering in fear. There should be one main display not 3 or 4 muppets per street annoying everybody else in the street with their inconsiderate behaviour!!

So I'm guessing that if you are invited to a new years eve party and at 12.00 the hosts decide to let off fireworks, at that point you explain that you are leaving because its unfair on all the small children and elderly in the area??"

Your guessing wrong, I decline on the grounds I have two babies who will be asleep in bed and two dogs who will be petrified and all of them will need comforting and calming when all hell breaks loose and scares the shit out of them at midnight! One thing Im not is a hypocrite!

"They have been banned in Australia for years "

So that's s reason to ban them here?

"Brilliant idea november the 5th is just an excuse for most people to burn tons of toxic waste, with all the associated pollution . modern light shows are much more enviromentaly friendly . "

Yes because all that electricity came from tidal and windpower eh? Fuck it ban bbqs as well.

I think the amount if fatalities and injuries is actually quite low, and I can't imagine any further regulation than there currently is.

Overall, many families enjoy bonfire night their whole lives without drama or accident, I'd say we've largely got it right. Obviously official displays and responsible use are the main things to support. Mistakes will happen, but these are very much in the minority.

No need to ban them at all. Enforce existing laws and give custodial sentences to shopkeepers serving anyone under 18.

"No need to ban them at all. Enforce existing laws and give custodial sentences to shopkeepers serving anyone under 18. "

Really....send a shopkeeper to PRISON for selling a sparkler to a 17 year old.

What do you advocate for littering, the death penalty?

"No need to ban them at all. Enforce existing laws and give custodial sentences to shopkeepers serving anyone under 18.

Really....send a shopkeeper to PRISON for selling a sparkler to a 17 year old.

What do you advocate for littering, the death penalty?

"

Maybe not a sparkler...

How about something that explodes though?

No one in their right mind would advocate sending someone to prison for selling fireworks to someone under 18. He dilutes his own argument. If they are that dangerous that a custodial sentence and the ruination of someone's livlihood is warranted for merely selling them, then how can he object to them being confined to public displays only.

By *obbytupperMan  over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

Explosives+children= Trouble+injury

"No one in their right mind would advocate sending someone to prison for selling fireworks to someone under 18. He dilutes his own argument. If they are that dangerous that a custodial sentence and the ruination of someone's livlihood is warranted for merely selling them, then how can he object to them being confined to public displays only.

"

They can be sent to prison for selling tobacco alcohol airguns or knives.

"No one in their right mind would advocate sending someone to prison for selling fireworks to someone under 18. He dilutes his own argument. If they are that dangerous that a custodial sentence and the ruination of someone's livlihood is warranted for merely selling them, then how can he object to them being confined to public displays only.

"

No one's said that they aren't dangerous.

Petrol is dangerous.

Knives are dangerous.

Air rifles/pistols are dangerous.

Tobacco is dangerous.

Matches are dangerous.

Lighters are dangerous.

Alcohol is dangerous.

Yet they're perfectly legal to someone above the age restriction. Selling any of those items to someone underage carries various penalties. So why should fireworks be banned or why shouldn't someone be penalised heavily for selling them to someone underage?

By *ussypussWoman  over a year ago

South Birmingham waiting for the bf to come back after crimbo

[Removed by poster at 31/10/14 11:44:58]

Petrol is dangerous.

Knives are dangerous.

Tobacco is dangerous.

Matches are dangerous.

Lighters are dangerous.

Alcohol is dangerous.

Yet they're perfectly legal to someone above the age restriction. Selling any of those items to someone underage carries various penalties. So why should fireworks be banned or why shouldn't someone be penalised heavily for selling them to someone underage?"

Most of those things aren't usually used randomly in an anti social way for 3 months or so every year.

hastings

Petrol is dangerous.

Knives are dangerous.

Tobacco is dangerous.

Matches are dangerous.

Lighters are dangerous.

Alcohol is dangerous.

Yet they're perfectly legal to someone above the age restriction. Selling any of those items to someone underage carries various penalties. So why should fireworks be banned or why shouldn't someone be penalised heavily for selling them to someone underage?"

LIFE is dangerous !

By *ussypussWoman  over a year ago

South Birmingham waiting for the bf to come back after crimbo

As someone who, at the age of 8, was standing next to a young girl who was hit by a stray firework at a fire brigade organised display, in my opinion, fireworks really should be banned and light displays used instead.

The thing is, the government won't ban them, I don't know what level of taxation there is on these things but anything which brings in revenue will not be banned, look at cigarettes.

Instead, I feel that strict regulations should be imposed. If someone wants to have a bonfire/fireworks in their garden, they should have to apply for permission from the council, giving details of the exact date of the planned event and these should only be allowed from the weekend before to the weekend after 5 November and New Year's Eve. Then, armed with a permit issued by the council, you could purchase your fireworks in the week preceding the event.

I would even go so far as to say that said fireworks can only be let off between certain hours, say between 7 & 10pm around 5 Nov and between 11.30 & 12.30 on New Year's Eve. This way, pet owners (including myself) are forewarned and can then report anyone using fireworks outside of these restricted dates and times.

I believe that the need for a permit will take a lot of the misuse of these dangerous explosives off the grid.

So that's s reason to ban them here?"

Yes it is a good reason because Australia is the best country to live in the world, they do everything better than what we do.

hastings

Yes it is a good reason because Australia is the best country to live in the world, they do everything better than what we do."

I would put your hard hat on there could be some fireworks coming your way

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I'd ban away from organized displays.

Petrol is dangerous.

Knives are dangerous.

Tobacco is dangerous.

Matches are dangerous.

Lighters are dangerous.

Alcohol is dangerous.

Yet they're perfectly legal to someone above the age restriction. Selling any of those items to someone underage carries various penalties. So why should fireworks be banned or why shouldn't someone be penalised heavily for selling them to someone underage?

Most of those things aren't usually used randomly in an anti social way for 3 months or so every year."

No, they're often used antisocially and criminally all year round.

Ban fireworks, just so we become even more of a nanny state...

Petrol is dangerous.

Knives are dangerous.

Tobacco is dangerous.

Matches are dangerous.

Lighters are dangerous.

Alcohol is dangerous.

Most of those things aren't usually used randomly in an anti social way for 3 months or so every year.

No, they're often used antisocially and criminally all year round."

Criminally yes but not on every bloody residential street for months.

"Ban fireworks, just so we become even more of a nanny state...

"

not banning them, just restricting them to people who are trained to use them safely- not allowing the local scrotes to use them as weapons.

Anyone want any popcorn?

hastings

"Anyone want any popcorn? "

If it goes pop you might have to have a license to sell it

hastings

not banning them, just restricting them to people who are trained to use them safely- not allowing the local scrotes to use them as weapons. "

So we spoil the fun for many because of a few idiots.

not banning them, just restricting them to people who are trained to use them safely- not allowing the local scrotes to use them as weapons. "

Meanwhile those same little scrotes will headover to YouTube and get instructions on making their own, even more powerful ones (those videos are there if you care to search). A ban/restriction will solve nothing. As the old saying goes; if someone wants something bad enough, they'll get their hands on it.

not banning them, just restricting them to people who are trained to use them safely- not allowing the local scrotes to use them as weapons.

So we spoil the fun for many because of a few idiots. "

Its more than a few idiots and how is it spoiling anyones fun? you could do a fireworks safety course in an afternoon, unless safety is less important than making a little effort to find a free afternoon if you want a licence to buy them (a pyro course only takes a day as you have have to deal with remote triggering calculations)

"

Meanwhile those same little scrotes will headover to YouTube and get instructions on making their own, even more powerful ones (those videos are there if you care to search). A ban/restriction will solve nothing. As the old saying goes; if someone wants something bad enough, they'll get their hands on it."

Then they're straying into the realm of illegally handling and maufacturing explosives- the explosives act is not a law you want to test, as you could get up to 14 years

Meanwhile those same little scrotes will headover to YouTube and get instructions on making their own, even more powerful ones (those videos are there if you care to search). A ban/restriction will solve nothing. As the old saying goes; if someone wants something bad enough, they'll get their hands on it."

A lot of those little scrotes won't even think of it without big, bright, shiny fireworks counters in shops.

So we spoil the fun for many because of a few idiots. "

The many can go to organised displays of which there are many.

The many can go to organised displays of which there are many."

My local display is sold out and has been for weeks (I didn't even know tickets had gone on sale until they were sold out). It's also quite expensive £9 for kids, £12 for adults + burgers, toffee apples, candy floss etc

So, for me, that's £42 just to get in add to that the extras and the fact it's usually cold, miserable, dark, full of pick pockets etc then I'd much rather spend £30 and let a few off in my back garden....

My local display is sold out and has been for weeks (I didn't even know tickets had gone on sale until they were sold out). It's also quite expensive £9 for kids, £12 for adults + burgers, toffee apples, candy floss etc

So, for me, that's £42 just to get in add to that the extras and the fact it's usually cold, miserable, dark, full of pick pockets etc then I'd much rather spend £30 and let a few off in my back garden...."

+1

hastings

The many can go to organised displays of which there are many."

The best ones to go to were in peoples back gardens with a nice little family get together spuds on the bonfire

So, for me, that's £42 just to get in add to that the extras and the fact it's usually cold, miserable, dark, full of pick pockets etc then I'd much rather spend £30 and let a few off in my back garden...."

If only public displays were allowed there would probably be more public displays.

If you're happy to spend £30 on fireworks then the tickets aren't much more (I'm not sure how you calculated £42 anyway). If it's cold then your garden will be too. Dark is kinda good for fireworks. And you don't have to buy toffee apples etc. You wouldn't at home. And there's nothing to stop you taking your own.

The best ones to go to were in peoples back gardens with a nice little family get together spuds on the bonfire

"

A group of our friends usually club together and get a load of fireworks. a nice chilli as well for the cold night, a few drinks and its a very fun social evening

So, for me, that's £42 just to get in add to that the extras and the fact it's usually cold, miserable, dark, full of pick pockets etc then I'd much rather spend £30 and let a few off in my back garden....

If only public displays were allowed there would probably be more public displays.

If you're happy to spend £30 on fireworks then the tickets aren't much more (I'm not sure how you calculated £42 anyway). If it's cold then your garden will be too. Dark is kinda good for fireworks. And you don't have to buy toffee apples etc. You wouldn't at home. And there's nothing to stop you taking your own."

Me - £12

Eldest daughter - £12

Youngest daughter - £9

Son - £9

You try telling kids no when everyone else is having them and enjoying themselves. So as well as being skint I'd make my kids miserable too!

I just don't think we're going to agree on this are we

hastings

A group of our friends usually club together and get a load of fireworks. a nice chilli as well for the cold night, a few drinks and its a very fun social evening"

Make sure you dont make the chilli to hot Health and safety will be on you

Why are so many people so keen to tie this country up so tight in useless legislation? You won't stop the t happening. The only people who it will stop are the law abiding users of fireworks. The numpties will get their own via the black market or hand making them. We are intent on being controlled as a country as if we are all the criminals. Were not. Its a small amount of people, who, if the laws were enforced properly wouldn't be a nuisance. You don't have to ban them. Restrict the licences of who sells them. Its a piece of piss to get a licence to buy and sell them. I see year after year, shops popping up for a month prior to bonfire night selling the most ridiculous sized fireworks. Tighten up on who sells them, what they can sell, when they can sell them. And come down hard on any infractions. Its not impossible. It just needs the lse to be used. But that's a matter for the police.

We live on a hill on the edge of town, we spend our £30 on booze and watch all the fireworks display and private from the balcony, or we watch through the window if it gets too cold

"As someone who, at the age of 8, was standing next to a young girl who was hit by a stray firework at a fire brigade organised display, in my opinion, fireworks really should be banned and light displays used instead.

The thing is, the government won't ban them, I don't know what level of taxation there is on these things but anything which brings in revenue will not be banned, look at cigarettes.

Instead, I feel that strict regulations should be imposed. If someone wants to have a bonfire/fireworks in their garden, they should have to apply for permission from the council, giving details of the exact date of the planned event and these should only be allowed from the weekend before to the weekend after 5 November and New Year's Eve. Then, armed with a permit issued by the council, you could purchase your fireworks in the week preceding the event.

I would even go so far as to say that said fireworks can only be let off between certain hours, say between 7 & 10pm around 5 Nov and between 11.30 & 12.30 on New Year's Eve. This way, pet owners (including myself) are forewarned and can then report anyone using fireworks outside of these restricted dates and times.

I believe that the need for a permit will take a lot of the misuse of these dangerous explosives off the grid.

"

Can I come to your house to burn my dead leaves and twigs?

Yes it is a good reason because Australia is the best country to live in the world, they do everything better than what we do."

How is the best country in the world? They can't even talk properly. Everything's a question to them. They killed and robbed most of the aborigines. They are arrogant in sports. They have the shortest music scene in the world. They produce some startlingly bad actors along with some awful films.

New Zealand or Canada beat them hands down.

my mum was blinded by a firework thrown at her face - no physical scars but optic nerve snapped a couple of days later - so ive grown up being more than over cautious of them - my daughter hates the bangs - but they will be around for years yet - as will the silly people that abuse them

We never see public info ads about dangerous behaviour anymore. We used to even get a visit from the fire brigade every year at school, about fireworks and smoke inhalation in house fires. These things were effective and cheap and to do. Why were they stopped?

hastings

"We never see public info ads about dangerous behaviour anymore. We used to even get a visit from the fire brigade every year at school, about fireworks and smoke inhalation in house fires. These things were effective and cheap and to do. Why were they stopped?"

Budget cut backs

If you're happy to spend £30 on fireworks then the tickets aren't much more (I'm not sure how you calculated £42 anyway). If it's cold then your garden will be too. Dark is kinda good for fireworks. And you don't have to buy toffee apples etc. You wouldn't at home. And there's nothing to stop you taking your own.

Me - £12

Eldest daughter - £12

Youngest daughter - £9

Son - £9

You try telling kids no when everyone else is having them and enjoying themselves. So as well as being skint I'd make my kids miserable too!

I just don't think we're going to agree on this are we "

Nope.

What was the problem with taking you're own snacks like you'd have if you were at home again?

Advertising explosives with big flashy banners and counters full of bright, shiny boxes and wrappers is irresponsible. If that ceased to happen some might make their own but they'd be quite likely to get caught, or maimed, when setting them off. Most won't think of it or won't bother.

hastings

Me - £12

Eldest daughter - £12

Youngest daughter - £9

Son - £9

Nope.

What was the problem with taking you're own snacks like you'd have if you were at home again?

Advertising explosives with big flashy banners and counters full of bright, shiny boxes and wrappers is irresponsible. If that ceased to happen some might make their own but they'd be quite likely to get caught, or maimed, when setting them off. Most won't think of it or won't bother."

It is called a free society where people should have choices not a nanny

state. A lot of the problems are caused by lack of discipline .

Why because the do gooders say you should not give proper discipline at school or keep people in prison longer.

When I was small i tripped over and cut my head on a pavement should they now be made of rubber

Purely my opinion

Me - £12

Eldest daughter - £12

Youngest daughter - £9

Son - £9

Nope.

Advertising explosives with big flashy banners and counters full of bright, shiny boxes and wrappers is irresponsible. If that ceased to happen some might make their own but they'd be quite likely to get caught, or maimed, when setting them off. Most won't think of it or won't bother."

First off I'm not taking bags of food with me.

Secondly, I've made my own and still make my own hobby rocket motors and I still have 9 fingers and have avoided prison...;-)

Have you lived there?

I used to enjoy buying and setting off our own fireworks, this was when we were in our late teens early twenties.

We all made sure things were as safe as we could make them, it was always me and a mate setting off fireworks.

So I would say no to a ban, personally it needs more restrictions on them.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"We never see public info ads about dangerous behaviour anymore. We used to even get a visit from the fire brigade every year at school, about fireworks and smoke inhalation in house fires. These things were effective and cheap and to do. Why were they stopped?"

you can still request a visit..

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

We always have fireworks in the back garden and I do a watered down Blue Peter code too. I like writing my name with sparklers

[Removed by poster at 31/10/14 18:44:29]

Yes it is a good reason because Australia is the best country to live in the world, they do everything better than what we do.

How is the best country in the world? They can't even talk properly. Everything's a question to them. They killed and robbed most of the aborigines. They are arrogant in sports. They have the shortest music scene in the world. They produce some startlingly bad actors along with some awful films.

New Zealand or Canada beat them hands down."

Who is they???

True bloody right sheila !!!

By *et a roomCouple  over a year ago

Leeds

"

sounds to me like you are the one with the "self self self" attitude.

as someome who has a dog whi is literaly petrified when a firework goes off and physically shakes for a good ten mins afterwards until calm again. I cant stand this time of year.

there should be a law that fireworks can only be used on bonfire night and new years eve and sold 24 hours before... then pet owners can prepare...keep them in a room with you watch a movie with volume high or somthing until its over... but as it is now fire works go off at any given moment and are getting louder and louder every year it seeems.

If you find fireworks entertaining go to one of the designated organised displays.

"

By *orneyashell87Couple  over a year ago

stockotn on tees

The sale to the public should be banned. My auntie had.one thrown at her which left her blind and severally scared. Xx

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

I think there needs to be stricter laws on who can sell them, this time of year these short lease shops are always selling fireworks to all ages.

the kids primary school used to have them run by the pta - few dads used to stay overnight in the sports shed on the field and keep watch over the embers - they did this for years - then the insurance for the school to hold this event became so much it wasnt worth the while doing it - this the xmas and summer fair were the biggest fund raisers

It's not firework night unless ur dad ties 20 bangers together and let's them off, ur Catherine wheel falls off the fence, u put petrol on the bonfire to get it going and at least 1 firework falls over and chases someone round the garden!!

who remembers rip raps (think thats what they were called) made to go all over the place

Me - £12

Eldest daughter - £12

Youngest daughter - £9

Son - £9

Nope.

Shiny paper doesn't affect sales. Not to adults anyway. And they are supposed to be the ones buying them.

So. In your opinion packaging doesnt affect sales except with children.

Then explain why EVERY major company in the world wastes billions of pounds on it when by your logic they could all use plain brown paper packaging

Because they believe it helps THEIR product stand out from the rest. But it doesn't. Because everyone else is doing it. Cigarette sales prove it. People buy from habit, price, and product performance. Advertisers are the biggest bullshitters on the planet (well, after politicians), they lie to us and they lie to the companies that they advise.

» Add a new message to this topic