FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > laptop or netbook?what to buy

laptop or netbook?what to buy

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

hi all,just wondered if there are any techies out there who can give us some advise as to which product to buy,quite often when we have gone away for dirty weekends we have arranged to meet a couple of guys ,sadly sometimes they are no showers,its not until we get back home that there are at least a dozen or so guys asking to join us so we thought it may be a good idea to take a laptop with us when we go away so we can log-in and arrange last minute meets,also we would like to use it for the means of fun in the evening where we could go into chatrooms in the privacy of our own bedroom and use a webcam as well so wondered if a netbook would allow us to do all these things?it would be purely used for swinging as we wouldnt want to use it for music or gaming,any advise would be appreciated

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

netbooks are very small and you'd have your face very close to the screen in chat - meaning your cam would show your forehead!

General browsing of the site can be done from a lot of phones, so doesn't matter which you choose from that point of view - netbook would probably be slightly cheaper though.

By *unterslickCouple  over a year ago

tullamore

"netbooks are very small and you'd have your face very close to the screen in chat - meaning your cam would show your forehead!

General browsing of the site can be done from a lot of phones, so doesn't matter which you choose from that point of view - netbook would probably be slightly cheaper though.

well we have a samsung nc10 netbook,and it is the dogs,all be it my friend put in a bigger cam for me,and extra memory,and i play alot of online games and music,its 2gb memory and let me tell you,i have it a year and havent even touched half the memory,there are newer models,but i cant be bothered with them,and in chat here you can choose what size screen you want so thats not a problem,and im getting another one for j in a couple of weeks,

i bought it on the reccommendation of the site download.com,and my friend got it for me for 299 euro april 2009,so great value,you can buy external hard drives and extras for it,my latest is a vga cable,so i plug into telly for games bigger screen,lol

"

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Get an iPad

By *bwitchedwarlock69Couple  over a year ago

Batley, West Yorkshire

We love our netbook, wouldn't be without it. It's so small it fits in my handbag so can take it anywhere we go and with our mobile broadband dongle we can get on line almost wherever and whenever we want to (as long as we have some signal for the dongle of course).

I've not used chat on here as chat goes too fast for me, can't keep up with it all, and can't comment on the webcam as we have disabled it - hate the things and don't really want to use it - but I can type quite comfortably with it on my desk without having to have to have my nose pressed against the screen and I'm blind as a bat! We've never had a problem with msn or websites like fab and facebook. Only thing we've found is that if a webpage has a lot of pictures it can be quite slow sometimes loading but it's not a problem really, just got to be patient. Plus ours is heading for 18 months old so the new ones available now will no doubt be much better than ours anyway.

By *xstephbxxCouple  over a year ago

hyde

If all you want to do is access fabswingers or just browse the net whislt on the go then have you thought about an iPod touch ? £149 from Argos.

By *ngieandMrManCouple  over a year ago

hereford

An Ipod or one of the better touch screen phones would do the job for little money. Net books are really good inasmuch that it can be a full PC but they are NOT cheap to buy if you want a good one. If you go on the Net-book route be careful to read all the tech-spec, the cheaper ones often have a lot of limitations, lacking battery capacity and connectivity and low capacity data storage.

I bought one about a year ago, its fast, full connectivity with USB, Wi-fi and bluetooth, Webcam, 250G hard-drive. It’ll run for 9 hours on its battery and its about two-thirds the footprint of a sheet of A4 so fits in a handbag. BUT it was more then £300!!! And for £300 you can buy a full size laptop or even a desktop!

By *xstephbxxCouple  over a year ago

hyde

£300 for a desk top ?????.. seems quite a lot of money to me, id be wanting the rest of the desk for tha price

tullamore

"£300 for a desk top ?????.. seems quite a lot of money to me, id be wanting the rest of the desk for tha price "

i can get desktops for alot less including the desk,lol

from a quote above yep most netbooks dont stand up to the quality of laptops but there are lots of free downloads out there to help you with all that,like watching vids and as said if the site has a lot of pictures it takes awhile to download,yep iv met this,asimple trick is to clear your history,takes 2 secs and speeds the viewing of pages up,also for your vids,try downloading an add on for your browser as it used to bug me that vids kept buffering,not anymore,can watch a movie from 1min to 200mins long without it stopping once,cheers to apple,lol

By *ngieandMrManCouple  over a year ago

hereford

"£300 for a desk top ?????.. seems quite a lot of money to me, id be wanting the rest of the desk for tha price "

Of course you can but I was talking about computers not an old biscuit tin with an abacus rattling about in side.

tullamore

ah the abacus,i still use me fingers,lol

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

thanks all,I think we will go for the netbook,just want it to access fabswingers etc so thanks again for all your inputxxxx

fwiw I just saw a £99 netbook in PCworld. No integrated webcam, but you can get one of those for £20 anyway.

"Get an iPad "

I did, but it has no integrated cam or chat facility.

"I did, but it has no integrated cam or chat facility. "

Are you suggesting that Mally failed to read the OP's requirements, but instead just pushed his own apple-centric agenda forward?

"I did, but it has no integrated cam or chat facility.

Are you suggesting that Mally failed to read the OP's requirements, but instead just pushed his own apple-centric agenda forward?

"

**gasp** as if?

we've got an Acer laptop and an Acer notebook. Both are excellent, and offer us remote access anywhere when using a dongle, subject to broadband coverage.

Our notebook was less than £200 and the laptop was just over £300. We are both away from home sometimes so it enables us to keep in touch too.

» Add a new message to this topic