FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > okay... serious thread time (learning to drive)

okay... serious thread time (learning to drive)

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *abio OP   Man  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

right.... after the train pass fiasco at work where we have lost our passes, it has finally given me the jolt to get my arse into gear and learn how to drive.....

I have 10 days off in october and I am really tempted to try one of these "intensive learning course" where they say they can get you to pass in a week....

anyone want to give me any tips on learning to drive?

anyone been thru one of these learning courses?

any tips/experiences would be really useful right now...

cheers.....

sean xxxxx

p.s i'll let you know which week in october soon so you can all keep off the roads.....

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *unterslickCouple  over a year ago

tullamore

driving is not hard,its watching for everyone else thats the hard bit,,

there lesson over,lol

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"right.... after the train pass fiasco at work where we have lost our passes, it has finally given me the jolt to get my arse into gear and learn how to drive.....

I have 10 days off in october and I am really tempted to try one of these "intensive learning course" where they say they can get you to pass in a week....

cheers.....

sean xxxxx

p.s i'll let you know which week in october soon so you can all keep off the roads.....

"

wow so I am not the only one who doesn't drive...

and yes I am still at home tonight _abio...

if you have a friend, ask them to take you to a large carpark on a weekend evening or early morning when its quiet ... you can practise gears, parking etc... what my dad with me, as when i hit the road i had clutch control , gears, postioning speed control etc so i only had 10 lessons..

Good luck

Gary

best advice i was ever given .... its not yourself you have to watch out for its every other fucker on the rd!!

i got my lessons, car and license for my 17th birthday they would have been cheaper buyin me a bloody jet lol!!

if your heart is in it go for it!!

but remember to drive on the correct side of the rd!!! xx

Mznawty you drive????

Best advice i can give is never take advice from a female or an OAP.

"Mznawty you drive???? "

yes dear iv had my license since i was 18 and also have my minibus license and held a taxi license for 6 years! had one crash in that time not my fault! and one speedin fine 5 years ago!! x

"Best advice i can give is never take advice from a female or an OAP.

"

you culd be female shortly when i chop your nuts off for your cheek sunshine!!! xx

By *uton_coupleCouple  over a year ago

luton

it would be a million times easier to do the test in the USA if you can

i could not believe how easy it was there

but if you got to do it here best of luck

"Mznawty you drive????

yes dear iv had my license since i was 18 and also have my minibus license and held a taxi license for 6 years! had one crash in that time not my fault! and one speedin fine 5 years ago!! x"

A taxi license?

Were you money laundering or drug dealing?

i did a fast pass course, i lasted 1 day... someone crashed into the side of me and put me right off, good luck with it

"Mznawty you drive????

yes dear iv had my license since i was 18 and also have my minibus license and held a taxi license for 6 years! had one crash in that time not my fault! and one speedin fine 5 years ago!! x

A taxi license?

Were you money laundering or drug dealing? "

nope but i washed many a tenner that i had shoved in my pocket and forgot about!!

By *ll of a QuiverCouple  over a year ago

Douglas

Not quite the same but a friend of ours took a similar intense 5 day course to pass his motorbike test.

He said it was money well spent.

I did a semi intensive course with LDC and they were brilliant! If I wasn't happy with the session or they cut the lessons short etc then I didn't sign the bit of paper which released my fee to the instructor. They gave me loads of useful DVD roms and books too to help if that's your style of learning.

All i can say is thank fuck i passed my test in the days when it was a case of going for a 35 min drive, a 3 point turn and a reverse round a corner and correctly identify some signs from the highway code.

Can't believe it was nearly 20 years ago

By *lackboaWoman  over a year ago

greenock

I did it about 20 years ago.....it worked for me....E xx

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

I did an intensive course 20 years ago, but I wasn't ready for it...so suggest the approach of learning the basics with a mate in tesco's car park...do the theory tests as well.

Other than that...no idea what's a good idea...maybe start watching the road more when you're a passenger...judging speeds, watching for road signs, anticipating what's going to happen at junctions....

I did an intensive course over 15y ago, in North London, and failed my test miserably.

I had more lessons, and my second test was doomed from the start as I had the same examiner as my first test!

Failed the third one are more lessons with the same firm with a different examiner.

Then I learnt to drive near my work place in leafy Surrey with BSM, and passed!

My advice would be to take your time, and don't rush things. Intensive course may not suit everyone's learning style.

The older one gets, the more difficult for one to retain information etc...

Risk perception is very useful, and one can start training this before taking any lessons, such as looking around while on a bus to see what is ahead, e.g. junction, zebra crossing, parked cars, playground, icecream van, roundabout, wobbly old folks and bouncy children etc...

Good luck!!!

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

"All i can say is thank fuck i passed my test in the days when it was a case of going for a 35 min drive, a 3 point turn and a reverse round a corner and correctly identify some signs from the highway code.

Can't believe it was nearly 20 years ago "

i passed my test,when the guy used to walk in front of you with the flag.

_abio just wear heels,a mini skirt,and a low cut top.thats the only reason we have female drivers.

By *thwalescplCouple  over a year ago

brecon

"right.... after the train pass fiasco at work where we have lost our passes, it has finally given me the jolt to get my arse into gear and learn how to drive.....

cheers.....

sean xxxxx

"

Drive defensively.... treat everyone else on the road like they are complete dickheads, with no intention of doing what they are indicating, and you might just survive to old age lol!

They can't guarantee you a pass in a week as you also have to sit an intensive theory test as well these days. I passed in the old days of a dozen lessons, a test followed by three random questions about the Highway Code.

But here's a story about when I was learning to drive:

The lass who used to have her lesson before me was always in the car when I got picked up for my lesson. I thought she'd pass no problem as she was a good driver yet the week after her test there she was again having failed it. I asked her what went wrong and she said she the examiner got out of the car at the beginning of her test to get something he forgot. He left his clipboard on the passenger seat and she looked at it. It showed her name and then 'Failed'. It was her first test and she hadn't even turned the ignition on yet. I'm not saying that still happens but I can't say for sure that the Highways Agency doesn't have a set quota of new drivers each year.

I'd be dubious about any company that claims to get a raw novice through their test in a week.

I was 36 when i passed my test at my first attempt, gosh my driving instructor was shocked, but omg i love driving, went down the motorway 10 days later

"All i can say is thank fuck i passed my test in the days when it was a case of going for a 35 min drive, a 3 point turn and a reverse round a corner and correctly identify some signs from the highway code.

I think the test changed the following year after id passed mine as my daughter had to get a photograph and do reversing into parking space at supermarket, much more comprehensive than mine was, plus she could do the Pass Plus but he wouldnt let me

There are a number of theory test sites on the www that you can practice on, onemy son used gave 100's of past theory test paper questions, and it was free. xx

35 minutes?!! The instructer fancied you!! Mine lasted 20 minutes max, three questions from the Highway Code and pass: well we are talking 28 years ago!! Don't think I'd pass it now.

As for the intensive courses: my ex-husband paid for our daughter to take a 10 week course which included the test. She couldn't pass the theory - lol!!

If you really want to do it, paying for it yourself and have the mindset these intensive course work, so good luck...and I'm glad you're up north!

By *plpxp2Couple  over a year ago

Middlesbrough

As a parent who's child recently passed first time after a dozen or so lessons (scary!) I think its better to go by the traditional route for a broader experience of driving. Our child drove in snow, ice, fog, dark etc, the only thing he didn't get to do is driving in the sunshine!

The intensive courses seem to be focused on passing the test, not teaching you to drive and with the state of driving today I think you need both. There's also the fact that you are potentially paying far more than you need too.

As with everything else shop round and talk to folks that have used instructors, variation sin price and quality are huge.

By *adcowWoman  over a year ago

kirkcaldy

passed mine first time 9 yr ago. this was despite my instructor swearing like a trooper constantly, qualified drivers doing uturns in front of me without warning, instructor having stroke 2 weeks before practical test,having to change instructors and cars for test, doing test in car i said brakes weren't right(proven by examiner later).

if i can do it sean i'm sure you can too but as another person suggested see if a friend would let you practise in car parks etc you can hire dual control cars per hour if they didn't want to put you on their insurance for it.

funnily enough to this day tho i still have problems drawing forward into a space and prefer reversing lol

ps grecian if i ever see you on the road look out ye cheeky fooker your ass is mine

» Add a new message to this topic