FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > curry house suggestions

curry house suggestions

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *layfullsam OP   Man  over a year ago

Solihull

allways end up ordering the same meal of king prawn madras, bombay spuds, special rice and peshwari naan....whats your favourite curry house and meal ? stay away with work and would like to try new places rather than hotel meals

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

try asking the waiter, most indians have house specials, most are worth a go

Chicken Jalfrezi with peshwari nan for Jack and Butter Chicken with plain nan for Kate. We don't bother with the rice anymore, you can really taste the "dish" off the nan. We think it's better like that, and an Indian friend of ours told us, they don't usually have rice and nan, but more often just the curry and one of their special breads to scoop it up with. They don't bother with forks or spoons, lol.

Also, we both like good 'ole Chicken Biryani

Washed down with couple of Cobra's or Kingfisher's

By *eprobatepairCouple  over a year ago

london

If you are ever in London go to Tayyabs in Whitechapel.

Lamb chops in there are divine.

Or Imli on Wardour St, Indian tapas-yummy.

"Chicken Jalfrezi with peshwari nan for Jack and Butter Chicken with plain nan for Kate. We don't bother with the rice anymore, you can really taste the "dish" off the nan. We think it's better like that, and an Indian friend of ours told us, they don't usually have rice and nan, but more often just the curry and one of their special breads to scoop it up with. They don't bother with forks or spoons, lol.

Washed down with couple of Cobra's or Kingfisher's "

I like a Jalf, they're good. Or a Rogan Josh

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"Chicken Jalfrezi with peshwari nan for Jack and Butter Chicken with plain nan for Kate. We don't bother with the rice anymore, you can really taste the "dish" off the nan. We think it's better like that, and an Indian friend of ours told us, they don't usually have rice and nan, but more often just the curry and one of their special breads to scoop it up with. They don't bother with forks or spoons, lol.

Washed down with couple of Cobra's or Kingfisher's "

bring on the Balti and nan!

and dont forget the carrot and sweetcakes for afters

"allways end up ordering the same meal of king prawn madras, bombay spuds, special rice and peshwari naan....whats your favourite curry house and meal ? stay away with work and would like to try new places rather than hotel meals "

We prefer home made currys. They just taste better and believe me cooking a curry is not rocket science lol. When we do eat out its normally jimmy spices, solihull or Gables, by the old airport.

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

Kurzi Lamb....no rice, just Naan breads to eat it with.

Only ever found this dish in two Indians though.

Solihull

wow i bet your home made currys are to die for, do you use any branded sauces or is the whole curry handmade so to speak

just need to pack you in my suitcase when i stay away

have you been to the one that won the competition on the last gordon ramsey show ? cant remember the name but it was in birmingham

South Indian Garlic Chilli Chicken

I personally cannot see past it but everyone has their own personal favourite.

"wow i bet your home made currys are to die for, do you use any branded sauces or is the whole curry handmade so to speak

just need to pack you in my suitcase when i stay away

have you been to the one that won the competition on the last gordon ramsey show ? cant remember the name but it was in birmingham"

you can buy spices from any asian shops and even asda or tesco's. its all down to personal taste so just use your imagination and get in the kitchen.

have not been to the one that was on gordon ramseys show yet. most indian restaurants cater for non indian customers and for us the food can be bland and mild so another tip is eat out where there are more asian customers.

Actually the best curry we had at a restaurant was in Leeds a few years ago. Cant remember the name but think it was in chapel town

Solihull

i went to one in bamber bridge near preston when was staying in a hotel, was nice as i could leave car at the hotel and walk so could have a few cobras

will have a go at cooking from home but i tend to like one as a treat when staying awayhad a madras and omg my mouth was tingling for 24 hours the heat was in a different league to back home and very different taste even though it was the same dish.

"i went to one in bamber bridge near preston when was staying in a hotel, was nice as i could leave car at the hotel and walk so could have a few cobras

will have a go at cooking from home but i tend to like one as a treat when staying awayhad a madras and omg my mouth was tingling for 24 hours the heat was in a different league to back home and very different taste even though it was the same dish."

When i cook my curries from home i tend to marinate my poultry or meat and leave in the fridge overnight for that extra taste.

Solihull

is there a indian version of tescos, ive been to the huge chinese supermarket 5 minutes from villa park and that was excellent..

Torquay

Secret of a good home made curry (and this came from the chef at the Indian we eat at) is to make up a base of sauteed Onions, Ginger and Garlic.

When this is softened (in ghee) put it in a food blender and blitz it for a few seconds.

This is a great base for curries, and can be frozen for use later.

Just re fry this base with your choice of spices or spice paste and add meat/coconut milk.

Is the closest I have ever got to the taste of the Indian restaurant.

Solihull

thanks jane that sounds idiot proof will give it a try

"is there a indian version of tescos, ive been to the huge chinese supermarket 5 minutes from villa park and that was excellent.."

there is one on washwood heath rd called pak supermarket. not been there but its huge. used to be an old bus depot. but all the major supermarkets sell spices these days. the chinese market you are referring to is called wing yip I think

"Secret of a good home made curry (and this came from the chef at the Indian we eat at) is to make up a base of sauteed Onions, Ginger and Garlic.

When this is softened (in ghee) put it in a food blender and blitz it for a few seconds.

Just re fry this base with your choice of spices or spice paste and add meat/coconut milk.

Is the closest I have ever got to the taste of the Indian restaurant."

+1

Solihull

thats the one its definately "wing yip" remember buying frozen prawn toast in bulk lovely..was tempted with huge blocks of frozen king prawns but the block wouldnt have fitted my freezer

i am so hungry now with all this talk of food

By *entcouple4550Couple  over a year ago

canterbury

Over the last few years my favourites have become the West Indian curries...particularly curry goat although the bones are a pain in the arse.

Solihull

dont like bones in food but have found a carribean place when i stay in cheltenham so might give that a try..think they do all the rum based drinks as well

Torquay

"Secret of a good home made curry (and this came from the chef at the Indian we eat at) is to make up a base of sauteed Onions, Ginger and Garlic.

+1"

?

+1

?"

lol

another forum we use they use +1` when you agree with some one

lol

canterbury

Oh mate you Have to try caribbean cuisine. Stew beef with dumpling. And kalalo...its like spinach only sweeter.

Solihull

confused re +1 sorry its me being daft ?

Solihull

thanks for the tips re carribean food, is there starters as well or is it just the main meal and side dishes ?

Torquay

+1

?

lol

another forum we use they use +1` when you agree with some one

lol"

ah ok lol.....thought for a minute you meant one other ingredient

canterbury

LOL most of the caribbean restaurants are not that formal mate...at least not the ones I used to frequent. Quite a few do a buffet so thats a good way to try new stuff. The one thing I miss about London is that there is no Jerk place here in Canterbury. Of course Jerk Chicken with Rice & Peas mmmmm

Solihull

no need for a dicky bow and jacket then lol

guess i need to ask the hotel receptionist for different ideas, might get some company as well ! i wish

or go on the tinternet and research before i make the trip

can you get jerk prawns

canterbury

I don't really do sea-food so I didn't really notice. I know fried fish and ackee is a popular dish but I don't know about prawns. As you say research it or just go and tatse it

Solihull

think the one in chelt has taster evenings with every dish out to try, bet its on a fri/sat night though and stay away with work through the week..def going to ask the receptionist for advise knowing my luck she will normally eat at mc donalds lol

» Add a new message to this topic