FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Fog lights !

Fog lights !

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Drove down the M1 this morning in that heavy rain and it always amazes me how many idiots seem to think its a good idea to put on their fog lights in rain.The clue is in the title 'fog' lights ! All they do in rain is glare and on many cars just look like brake lights which is no help to anyone.Too many idiots on the road !!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I always put my red rears on in 20 mtr visibility due to spray.. M62 this morning a case in point.. licence holder twats in Beamers and Mercs hooning past at 80+ with no lights on at all. Anyone that mistakes my fogs for brake lights will probably lift off the gas and not merge with my tailgate while they're busy texing instead of watching what the fuck they're doing !

Fog lights are high intensity lights designed to penetrate fog and are not meant to be used purely in rainy conditions.You can be prosecuted for using them in rainy conditions.

If I can't see more that 40-50 metres ahead of me because of spray, then the numpties behind me can't either.. they're staying on so deal with it.. oh and have a look at the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations rule 236 ... we're both right..

Sorry your wrong

i just stick main beam on

It's not illegal to use rear fog lights when visibility is bad as long as you turn them off when it improves.. would you not agree that 30 some odd metres in wall to wall spray is bad visibility ? Come on.. it's not illegal, you can't get prosecuted for it. The RCLRs state it's ok to use them.in rule 236. I'll continue to use them and I'll continue to turn them off when the visibility improves.

"i just stick main beam on "

"Fog lights are high intensity lights designed to penetrate fog and are not meant to be used purely in rainy conditions.You can be prosecuted for using them in rainy conditions."

Really and where is this pearl of wisdom gleamed from ? Fog lights are for low visibility conditions

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236). Law RVLR regs 25 & 27

"I always put my red rears on in 20 mtr visibility due to spray.. M62 this morning a case in point.. licence holder twats in Beamers and Mercs hooning past at 80+ with no lights on at all. Anyone that mistakes my fogs for brake lights will probably lift off the gas and not merge with my tailgate while they're busy texing instead of watching what the fuck they're doing !"

im with you on this one too many times I hsve seen people pass me doing crazy speeds in poor driving conditions therefore fog lights help your car be visible kerps me safe if the people behind are blinded then tgey are too close

Driving lights as they are properly known are for use in any bad weather rain, snow, or fog, not for use willy nilly like some idiots do.

"Sorry your wrong "

Nope, you are...

Rear fog lights in rain create glare and dazzle people driving behind you.

They used to run a tv ad for years, advising against their use in wet conditions.

Unless rain, tarmac and light, have changed dramatically in the last 25 years, then I think that advice is still relevant.

"Rear fog lights in rain create glare and dazzle people driving behind you.

They used to run a tv ad for years, advising against their use in wet conditions.

Unless rain, tarmac and light, have changed dramatically in the last 25 years, then I think that advice is still relevant."

grades of tarmac have changed massively in the Last few years let alone tge last 25 years. If the visibility is not there then brighter lights must be used

Fog lights can be used anytime visibility is below 100 meters. This is what the rules state (https://www.gov.uk/driving-adverse-weather-conditions-226-to-237/overview-226) this here endith the "discussion"

"It's not illegal to use rear fog lights when visibility is bad as long as you turn them off when it improves.. would you not agree that 30 some odd metres in wall to wall spray is bad visibility ? Come on.. it's not illegal, you can't get prosecuted for it. The RCLRs state it's ok to use them.in rule 236. I'll continue to use them and I'll continue to turn them off when the visibility improves. "

this..as a professional driver and a driver trainer I am reliably informed (by vosa guy at work) its not illegal to use them in rain reduced visibility, must turn them off as soon as conditions improve..and yes,I use mine (dons tin hat and takes cover)

By *lubcouple2Couple  over a year ago

newport

From a professional coach and recovery driver here is a goos tip for you all when visibility is reduced due to torrential rain or fog in daylight hour its advisable to wear sunglasses as like in photography it filters the light and improves your visability making it easier to see cars and lorries in the distance

"i just stick main beam on "

to clarify i mean the 2nd click.. not low beam but the next level up

NOT the ones id use at night with no oncoming traffic (where you get the blue symbol)

Well this seems to be a very ambiguous and emotive subject, so I'll just say thank god for the improvements in tarmac, and move along.

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple  over a year ago

Bolton

"i just stick main beam on

NOT the ones id use at night with no oncoming traffic (where you get the blue symbol)"

lol - you're very lucky to have clarified that other wise you'd have been in big trouble young lady! Z

I wear prescription sunglasses mate, don't fancy taking my bins off to put my shades on when I can barely see the car in front because of the spray. Anyway, this thread's run it's course, enjoy what's left of your weekend folks !

[Removed by poster at 10/08/14 18:01:27]

Would rather someone saw my fog lights and was annoyed, than didn't see me and killed me.

"i just stick main beam on

NOT the ones id use at night with no oncoming traffic (where you get the blue symbol)

lol - you're very lucky to have clarified that other wise you'd have been in big trouble young lady! Z"

lol i take it what i call 'main beam' isnt technically called mainbeam then lol..

honestly my drivings fing, just the terms for these things gets me all mixed up

I just wear my sunglasses all the time, tint the windscreen (illegal I know) and then to help me see I put all the lights on including the fog lights front and rear. Leave em on all the time in fact! Lol

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"Would rather someone saw my fog lights and was annoyed, than didn't see me and killed me."
and if they dont see the car along side you or changing lanes ahead of you because your misused foglights are dazzling them and have an accident as aresult involving you would you still be as happy ?

Again people please look at the quote I posted previously which is law lol

By *obsrocketMan  over a year ago

Loughborough

I'm not worried about drivers having fog lights on when the visability is poor. It is the drivers with a death wish that seem to think its ok to drive with no lights on at all or as the EU has forced it upon us, just with bloody daylight running lights on.

By *andL-LiverpoolCouple  over a year ago

Huyton

"Licence holder twats in Beamers and Mercs hooning past at 80+ with no lights on at all"

Can't see that happening, most of them have auto lighting which is great as I can text on my phone in peace with cruise control set at 90mph and the wife leaning over to suck me off in my Beamer

"Licence holder twats in Beamers and Mercs hooning past at 80+ with no lights on at all

Can't see that happening, most of them have auto lighting which is great as I can text on my phone in peace with cruise control set at 90mph and the wife leaning over to suck me off in my Beamer "

Don't forget the auto brakes which make it imperative that you drive up fast behind slow moving vehicles to ensure they are working properly.

"Would rather someone saw my fog lights and was annoyed, than didn't see me and killed me.and if they dont see the car along side you or changing lanes ahead of you because your misused foglights are dazzling them and have an accident as aresult involving you would you still be as happy ?

"

You might be over egging the pudding some what about just how dazzling fog lights are, enough to make the car next to me be unable to be seen? I think not. It's a light bulb, not a laser cannon.

By *revisimoMan  over a year ago

LEEDS

Yup, quite agree, complete muppets and those that Also love hogging the middle Lane!

"Would rather someone saw my fog lights and was annoyed, than didn't see me and killed me.and if they dont see the car along side you or changing lanes ahead of you because your misused foglights are dazzling them and have an accident as aresult involving you would you still be as happy ?

You might be over egging the pudding some what about just how dazzling fog lights are, enough to make the car next to me be unable to be seen? I think not. It's a light bulb, not a laser cannon."

I think laser cannons would be quite useful sometimes

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

"Driving lights as they are properly known are for use in any bad weather rain, snow, or fog, not for use willy nilly like some idiots do. "

I am guilty of using driving lights when on unlit country roads, but switch them off when cars approach.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I totally agree with the twats that should not have their fog lights on when visibility is great - Ive been able to see more than half a mile in front and some idiots have theirs on. Of course, they then forget to turn them off, so drive for hours with them on. Some any racers have rear and front on, as they want their front ones for a cool look, but have to have rear on at the same time. Its twats like these causing accidents around them, but can have clean insurance records.

Every car will select front fogs before rear. Unless you have to separate switches.

I agree, they don't help visibility at all in the rain as they flare and cause less visibility in that any brake lights added are significantly less visible. Fog disperses rather than flares, hence they improve things in fog.

Add the belief that the lanes are 50, 60, 70 and hence centre lane hogs (can only imagine they think its a 60 lane) and a few caravans being towed at 70-80 and you get this weeks road madness.

Still, intelligence is not required to drive, only repetition until the base skill is learnt. Hence its only safe to assume everyone else is an idiot.

Wa son the motorway in horrific spray a while back on the bike what really pisses me off is people who are terrified of driving in the rain and so do 50 but for some reason insist on being in the outside lane.

So sat behind them noticing everyone hoofing it up then sharply breaking as they realise there's a bike behind the car they could barely see.

If you aren't confident driving at speed stick to the inside lane behind a nice slow truck.

By *ilverstone100Man  over a year ago

Blackburn

All the strict lighting regs for car makers has now been nullified by LED 'daylight running lights'.what a distraction on the road they are and the intensity is riddiculous ! All thanks to Brussells l understand.?

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Realistically, fog lights should NEVER be used in a situation where they can dazzle or confuse people. Especially the rears, which can easily obscure your break lights.

My rule of thumb is :

If I am driving in traffic then the fog lights are off.

If I can see lights approaching then my fog lights are off.

If I need fog lights turned on, I also need to slow down too.

Cal

By *ucky1Man  over a year ago

a straightjacket

I just had to check the highway code to see if the law had changed as still seeing loads of vehicles using rear fog lights in the rain....visibility is way better than 100 metres but people still use them!!!!

Was on the M1 other night, in light rain and could see as far ahead as about half a mile or more and still the dickheads feel the need to use rear fogs. Do some modern vehicles have warning buzzers if you have your rear fogs on and surely people can't have them on by accident?

When you're strange

Faces come out of the rain

When you're strange

No one remembers your name

When you're strange

When you're strange

When you're strange

By *corpio67Man  over a year ago

hillingdon