FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Axe Men

Axe Men

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Who out of the the UK and USA have produced the greatest guitarists?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

As a country or do you take population into consideration? If its a straight choice then the US but for the size of the country the UK.

Most of my favourites are UK guitarists. Gary Moore, Jimmy Page, Tony Iommi and Richie Blackmore

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"Most of my favourites are UK guitarists. Gary Moore, Jimmy Page, Tony Iommi and Richie Blackmore"

I loved Gary Moore.

Went to see Clapton many moons ago, he was fantastic.

Had tickets to see Guns'n'Roses, but never went as my mate got us on a motor racing weekend. I figured I'd see them next time around... d'oh! Theres some film of Slash and Brian May jamming before the Freddie Mercury tribute concert. I would love to have witnessed that.

Does Slash count as a Brit?

"Most of my favourites are UK guitarists. Gary Moore, Jimmy Page, Tony Iommi and Richie Blackmore

I loved Gary Moore.

Went to see Clapton many moons ago, he was fantastic.

Had tickets to see Guns'n'Roses, but never went as my mate got us on a motor racing weekend. I figured I'd see them next time around... d'oh! Theres some film of Slash and Brian May jamming before the Freddie Mercury tribute concert. I would love to have witnessed that.

Does Slash count as a Brit?"

Yes, he was born in Stoke!

These lists are always subjective to people's tastes. Top of my list will always be Gary Moore closely followed by Eddie Van Halen and Rory Gallagher. But in terms of innovation it would be Eddie Van Halen all day long. Not only did he change the way the guitar was played he also changed the way they were built, he was instrumental in the design of the Floyd Rose tremolo and has even influenced amplifier designs.

The other true greats/innovators are probably from decades before Van Halen appeared (1978). Les Paul didn't just create an iconic guitar but he invented multi-track recording, something that is taken for granted nowadays.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Who out of the the UK and USA have produced the greatest guitarists? "

I suppose it really depends on whether you're talking Technical skill or artistic flair/feel.

There are certainly few who could technically outplay the likes of Steve Vai or Joe Satriani but then how do you compare that to feel of Clapton, Bonnamasa or Gilmore. Then you've got the creative ones who turn out a riff of lick that stays with you for life... like Prince or Richie Sambora.

I always struggle with the concept of competition in the arts, it's not as if you just can pick the fastest or loudest.

Anyway... what was the question again ?

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Who out of the the UK and USA have produced the greatest guitarists?

"

The British

"Who out of the the UK and USA have produced the greatest guitarists?

I suppose it really depends on whether you're talking Technical skill or artistic flair/feel.

There are certainly few who could technically outplay the likes of Steve Vai or Joe Satriani but then how do you compare that to feel of Clapton, Bonnamasa or Gilmore. Then you've got the creative ones who turn out a riff of lick that stays with you for life... like Prince or Richie Sambora.

I always struggle with the concept of competition in the arts, it's not as if you just can pick the fastest or loudest.

Anyway... what was the question again ?"

There are plenty who can outplay Vai and Satriani (especially Satch). Before he was struck with Lou Gehrigs disease no one could touch Jason Becker. Then you have the likes of Marty Friedman and Tony McAlpine. Then you have guys like Jeff Loomis, John Petrucci and the insanity that is Yngwie Malmsteen!

The best all rounder though is probably someone like Steve Lukather, he's played on thousands on albums over the years as a session player and was equally brilliant in Toto.

By *ust_for_laughsCouple  over a year ago

Hinckley

Guthrie Govan is my current favourite guitarist. There is nothing he can't play, in any style...total monster!

Add he's a lovely fella!

Hinckley

And ffs!

"Guthrie Govan is my current favourite guitarist. There is nothing he can't play, in any style...total monster!

Add he's a lovely fella!"

He is rather good. I had Fives on in the car earlier...

By *hecat007Woman  over a year ago

Round the corner

Steve vai ..joe satriani ...Gary Moore ..slash!!

By *adgodCouple  over a year ago

Greensburg

Both. No need to be divisive. I would pick Eric Clapton and David Gilmore from the UK, and Randy Rhoads and Jimmy Hendrix from the US as my personal picks.

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

Druss the Legend

Both sides of the pond have produced legendary players, my favourite six stringers are mainly from the Uk but they were heavily influenced by the delta blues players. So I don't wish to choose either

Hinckley

Just don't get the love for Clapton and Slash...pentatonic monkeys, the pair of them! Slash has played the same solo for more years than he can remember, he's worse than Kirk Hammett!

Hinckley

[Removed by poster at 29/07/14 19:24:10]

Hinckley

"Guthrie Govan is my current favourite guitarist. There is nothing he can't play, in any style...total monster!

Add he's a lovely fella!

He is rather good. I had Fives on in the car earlier... "

Listen to his stuff with The Aristocrats and Steven Wilson...jaw-droppingly good!

"Just don't get the love for Clapton and Slash...pentatonic monkeys, the pair of them! Slash has played the same solo for more years than he can remember, he's worse than Kirk Hammett!"

I often wondered how Clapton got all the acclaim when Rory Gallagher could play and perform rings around him.

Slash has always just been an image rather than a great player.

Kirk Hammett, I'm not sure if he's ever played a solo without a wah-wah pedal...

Add he's a lovely fella!

Listen to his stuff with The Aristocrats and Steven Wilson...jaw-droppingly good!"

Have you heard Six String Theory by Lee Retinor?.....you'll love it.

Hinckley

Add he's a lovely fella!

Listen to his stuff with The Aristocrats and Steven Wilson...jaw-droppingly good!

Have you heard Six String Theory by Lee Retinor?.....you'll love it."

Yep, one of my favorite albums of the last few years...and guess what solo Slash plays on it

Add he's a lovely fella!

Have you heard Six String Theory by Lee Retinor?.....you'll love it.

Yep, one of my favorite albums of the last few years...and guess what solo Slash plays on it"

I often wonder why Slash was asked to play on that record considering the sheer talent of the other players. He's fine within his own context but simply cannot compare to Govan and Lukather.

He was pretty good on Leslie West's Unusual Suspects but it was blues based and right in his comfort zone.

Hinckley

Probably a sales pitch!

Hinckley

"Just don't get the love for Clapton and Slash...pentatonic monkeys, the pair of them! Slash has played the same solo for more years than he can remember, he's worse than Kirk Hammett!

I often wondered how Clapton got all the acclaim when Rory Gallagher could play and perform rings around him.

Kirk Hammett, I'm not sure if he's ever played a solo without a wah-wah pedal..."

Have you seen the video where Trujillo is playing flamenco guitar? Him and Hetfield start jamming and poor old Kirk tries to join in...Hetfield just throws him a look and virtually stops there and then...hilariously embarrassing!

"Just don't get the love for Clapton and Slash...pentatonic monkeys, the pair of them! Slash has played the same solo for more years than he can remember, he's worse than Kirk Hammett!

Kirk Hammett, I'm not sure if he's ever played a solo without a wah-wah pedal...

Have you seen the video where Trujillo is playing flamenco guitar? Him and Hetfield start jamming and poor old Kirk tries to join in...Hetfield just throws him a look and virtually stops there and then...hilariously embarrassing! "

He's a 5 note wah wanker! I'll have a wander round the tube and find it

Hinckley

Have you seen the video where Trujillo is playing flamenco guitar? Him and Hetfield start jamming and poor old Kirk tries to join in...Hetfield just throws him a look and virtually stops there and then...hilariously embarrassing!

He's a 5 note wah wanker! I'll have a wander round the tube and find it "

I'll send you the link on FB

It's the Canadians for me every time .... Some of the butchest lumber jacks you're ever likely to see...... Oh

Guitarists

Well I do like the cheekbones that are Steve Vai ...... Good guitarist and brilliantly innovative in his earlier days when he was messing with sounds

David Gilmour ..... Another one of the grata in my book

Than of course there is the often forgotten django rheinhardt

If, however, I had to choose one side of the ocean then would pick the UK ...... Because it is home

"It's the Canadians for me every time .... Some of the butchest lumber jacks you're ever likely to see...... Oh

Guitarists

Well I do like the cheekbones that are Steve Vai ...... Good guitarist and brilliantly innovative in his earlier days when he was messing with sounds

If, however, I had to choose one side of the ocean then would pick the UK ...... Because it is home "

Grata???? I mean great

"It's the Canadians for me every time .... Some of the butchest lumber jacks you're ever likely to see...... Oh

Guitarists

If, however, I had to choose one side of the ocean then would pick the UK ...... Because it is home "

Django is still untouchable to this day...

By *xpresMan  over a year ago

Elland

Tony Moore Richie Blackmoor Keith Slash Eric Clapton Dave Gilmore.. UK WINS

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

It depends on which style of guitarist you care to class as great, for me it is british.

Has anyone mentioned Jimi Hendrix, some people say he was a brilliant guitarist but I am not into him.

"It depends on which style of guitarist you care to class as great, for me it is british.

Has anyone mentioned Jimi Hendrix, some people say he was a brilliant guitarist but I am not into him."

Hendrix was good when he wasn't manipulating effects and feedback, sadly he did that more and more towards the end of his all too short tenure.

By *xpresMan  over a year ago

Elland

"Tony Moore Richie Blackmoor Keith Slash Eric Clapton Dave Gilmore.. UK WINS"

WTF happnd

Tony Iommi Gary Moor got edited

» Add a new message to this topic