FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > spelling

spelling

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

is there anyone that can spell properly anymore? i don't know if its the advent of text that has seen off any attempt to string a well constructed and correctly spelt sentence or just a series of unfortunate typo's......perhaps its just me but do all the errors, especially in profiles irritate you??

i seriously hope i haven't spelt anything wrong here or i'm really going to look like an arse!!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I do try and check what I've written before sending it but my fingernails are so long now that I sometimes miss the right key. But yes, there's nothing worse than bad grammar when trying to make an impression in a message.

I try... Often fail.

I sometimes use ispell.. but if being quick.. slip up.

My trouble is big fingers and small keys lol.

Excuses excuses pmsl.. x

"I try... Often fail.

Excuses excuses pmsl.. x"

big fingers small keys ... is that a metaphore ?

"I try... Often fail.

Excuses excuses pmsl.. x"

You know what they say about big fingers (or is that feet?!) Lol

"I try... Often fail.

Excuses excuses pmsl.. xYou know what they say about big fingers (or is that feet?!) Lol"

Well... I could claim rather fat fingers then...

"I try... Often fail.

Excuses excuses pmsl.. xYou know what they say about big fingers (or is that feet?!) Lol

Well... I could claim rather fat fingers then..."

Mmmmm like fat ones!

By *damandlaraCouple  over a year ago

northwich

i usually find that my spelling either gets worse as the night gets later or it takes me 10 minutes to type a sentence, mainly due to the red wine

"i usually find that my spelling either gets worse as the night gets later or it takes me 10 minutes to type a sentence, mainly due to the red wine"
Lol - know that feeling too!

No it doesn't bother us one way or the other - some people are good at spelling, others are not, some people are good at football others wouldn't know how to kick a ball

That's life and if the biggest worry we have is someone who makes the odd spelling mistake .........

"No it doesn't bother us one way or the other - some people are good at spelling, others are not, some people are good at football others wouldn't know how to kick a ball

That's life and if the biggest worry we have is someone who makes the odd spelling mistake ........."

2 wright it dowt bover us lifes 2 chort

i hear what you're saying not everyone can be good at spelling....and you're right there are bigger things to worry about....

its just one of lifes little irritations for me personally...i tend to spot them all and come over all judgemental and school mistress!! lol

you try livingwith a proof reader like i do

"you try livingwith a proof reader like i do"

i have a degree in english language but ya know what? i cant be arsed.....txt n tinternet language means ya dont have to try too hard......unless someone has the red pen at the ready?????? lol if ya kniw what that means PM me xx

"you try livingwith a proof reader like i do"

i think i may have idea for my ideal job! thanks...this posting has opened a whole new world for me!!

By *iceguydaveMan  over a year ago

Monmouth

I'm afraid I'm with Mischief on this one - I try to be tolerant and say 'nobody's perfect', and so on, but I have to admit that poor spelling and bad grammar do really get my goat..

I think, though, that maybe there's a difference between people who generally make an effort but might occasionally let a typo slip through (personally, I can't write 'just' without transposing the U & S - oh look, I managed it that time!), and people who clearly haven't taken any time to even re-read what they've written.

Call me Lynn Truss if you like, but I can't help feeling that if someone can't be bothered to get spelling and grammar at least mostly right, they aren't putting much effort in!

I know, I know, the pedants are revolting..

"i have a degree in english language but ya know what? i cant be arsed.....txt n tinternet language means ya dont have to try too hard......unless someone has the red pen at the ready?????? lol if ya kniw what that means PM me xx"
marked your paper 9/10 very good.x

By *1dKingColeMan  over a year ago

east london

Well, my 'speeling' is crap, but I try. I'm mildly dyslexic so I am never going to throw stones in my glass house.

BUT I really don’t like poor grammar, the spelling is minor, but if you can’t string a sentence together we don’t have much in common. (Even if you have great tits! lol)

By *DSRMan  over a year ago

leicester

I type faster than a speeding bullet... yep I'm lucky if i hit the target (the right key) But my spelling is actually ok, I honestly don't mind people when they have trouble with spelling but I do find that modern abbreviations can sometimes be slightly annoying, but I guess I except it as a general social group thing to do... So I'm saying I don' personally mind as long as the content is worth reading.

peace

I used to be dyslexic, but I'm KO now

I do tend to try and spell, doesn't always work. Currently have a bit of an issue with words with double letters, end up making the letter before it a double instead by mistake like 'leeter' instead of 'letter'

I do think some people take it a bit far though....

Remember speaking to one lady months ago, first thing she said when we were talking was "no text speak!!!", I said ok, as I always do anyway. She got the hump pretty quickly though and blocked me,, and I didn't really know why, decided it must have been the use of 'lol' which I wouldn't really consider as text speak. I never use it when texting, only when on msn with friends, thought that was a bit OTT myself, but then doubt I would have wanted to meet someone so fussy anyway.

I generally don't have a problem with text speak, unless it makes them sound like a chav, I don't do chavs! Or when they moan about spelling themselves and get words like 'your' and 'you're' mixed up. Then I just decide they are idiots and move on...

"I type faster than a speeding bullet... yep I'm lucky if i hit the target (the right key) But my spelling is actually ok, I honestly don't mind people when they have trouble with spelling but I do find that modern abbreviations can sometimes be slightly annoying, but I guess I except it as a general social group thing to do... So I'm saying I don' personally mind as long as the content is worth reading.

peace"

accept perhaps ?? xxx god im in an irritating mood tonight lol xx

By *iggles and BeardyCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

"is there anyone that can spell properly anymore? i don't know if its the advent of text that has seen off any attempt to string a well constructed and correctly spelt sentence or just a series of unfortunate typo's......perhaps its just me but do all the errors, especially in profiles irritate you??

i seriously hope i haven't spelt anything wrong here or i'm really going to look like an arse!!"

Having tryed multipul times of atending adult education top up classes for spelling, It just dosn't seem to work, though my ability to use commas and full stops is improving..

The say I'm not dislexic, but my spelling and grammer are so mysteriosly bad compared to my volcabulary that after 30 years of teaching, my tutor has never seen anything like it..

No matter how I try, words just look wrong, resulting in lots of rewrites of words I spells bloodt right to start with :P

Bad spelling and dyslexia can be overlooked but text speak is just plain irritating, particularly when it's written as one long mundane drawl without use of punctuation - I get out of breath just reading it fgs!

imagine if i wrote this without use of grammar or punctuation and you didn't knowhwhereonewordendedandanotherbegan its really really annoying isnt it now throw into the mix some txt spk n u cn see whr i'm cming frm.

If we receive a message using text speak I hit the delete button pretty sharpish as I see it as a form of laziness, and if one can't be bothered to write a word out in full then it makes me wonder where else they'd be lazy also.

text speak drives me nuts too! Sometimes I have to read a message a couple of times and still dont have a clue what they are on about!!

Must admit tho my spelling does go to shit if I am tired

"text speak drives me nuts too! Sometimes I have to read a message a couple of times and still dont have a clue what they are on about!!

Must admit tho my spelling does go to shit if I am tired "

Sorry? hehehehehe

"text speak drives me nuts too! Sometimes I have to read a message a couple of times and still dont have a clue what they are on about!!

Sorry? hehehehehe"

pmsl....go change a nappy or something

Sorry? hehehehehe

pmsl....go change a nappy or something "

Why would I wanna go do that? I got a wife ain't I? (ducks) hehehe

Sorry? hehehehehe

pmsl....go change a nappy or something

Why would I wanna go do that? I got a wife ain't I? (ducks) hehehe"

lol wishy you are naughty!!!!

"I try... Often fail.

Excuses excuses pmsl.. xbig fingers small keys ... is that a metaphore ?"

No, its a Compaq v6000

"I type faster than a speeding bullet... yep I'm lucky if i hit the target (the right key) But my spelling is actually ok, I honestly don't mind people when they have trouble with spelling but I do find that modern abbreviations can sometimes be slightly annoying, but I guess I except it as a general social group thing to do... So I'm saying I don' personally mind as long as the content is worth reading.

peaceaccept perhaps ?? xxx god im in an irritating mood tonight lol xx"

lol.. @ Tonight?

peaceaccept perhaps ?? xxx god im in an irritating mood tonight lol xx

lol.. @ Tonight?"

lol always according to rob....but he loves me really xxx

By *teve_SoleilCouple  over a year ago

Malaysia

some don't type....they just use the voice/mic recognition thingy...:D...so they can use both hands...:D

"is there anyone that can spell properly anymore? i don't know if its the advent of text that has seen off any attempt to string a well constructed and correctly spelt sentence or just a series of unfortunate typo's......perhaps its just me but do all the errors, especially in profiles irritate you??

i seriously hope i haven't spelt anything wrong here or i'm really going to look like an arse!!"

Incidentally, when you start a sentence you should use a capital letter. Ironic that you criticise spelling in what is a quite grammatically poor post. People in glass houses and all that?

I'm mildly dyslexic, double letters cofuse the hell out of me as do words that sound the same (there and teir for instance) I would imagine that there are errors in this. I would also imagine that nobody has any issues understanding it.

I hate text speak - when its taken to extremes, I actually can't understand it. But language constatly evolves and some abbrevations don't bother me although I don't like them in profiles.

I think people worry too much abut thinhgs that don't really matter.

speaking of spelling, ive just mailed a gorgeous guy on that fishy site we all know, and i put happy fisting ffs instaed of happy fishing, :-0

im laughing me head off here , not sure he will be lol

By *acreadCouple  over a year ago

central scotland

I believe the English language has words with far too many silent and needless letters and dont think it would be that bad if a lot of the American way of spelling is adopted.

By *ebzStarWoman  over a year ago

Notting

"speaking of spelling, ive just mailed a gorgeous guy on that fishy site we all know, and i put happy fisting ffs instaed of happy fishing, :-0

im laughing me head off here , not sure he will be lol "

PMSL!!!!!

What a corker - you will have to let us know his response....lol

"speaking of spelling, ive just mailed a gorgeous guy on that fishy site we all know, and i put happy fisting ffs instaed of happy fishing, :-0

PMSL!!!!!

What a corker - you will have to let us know his response....lol"

not sure i'l get one, he might think i have a fetish of fisting, lol ffs im sure i shud be blonde sometimes lol x

Google tool bar has a spell checker, that checks web page text boxes....

But is it that important?

After all it's try and meet and play site. No an English language group...

Maybe admin can put, under the meet smokers tick box, meet bad spellers...

By *leasureDomeMan  over a year ago

all over the place

"Google tool bar has a spell checker, that checks web page text boxes....

But is it that important?

After all it's try and meet and play site. No an English language group...

Maybe admin can put, under the meet smokers tick box, meet bad spellers...

"

wy wrry yu oly ned te frst an lst lttr .the brain is vry clver any wy

By *obbytupperMan  over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

But spelling does really matter. Take the case of the dyslexic pimp who lived in Leeds............he saved up all his profit and bought a wharehouse!

"snip....

wy wrry yu oly ned te frst an lst lttr .the brain is vry clver any wy "

RFOL, indeed it is

We are not the greatest of spellers here and don't make out we are, i am sure we have plenty of mistakes on our profile.

And not to worried if others are, When we meet someone we are meeting them for fun, Not so we can sit and write a 10k word essay!

We have always found, bad spelling dosen't reflect on someones personality in the slightest!

Anyway, i read your profile txt, and found this

accomodate.. should be accommodate

womans should be woman's

dont should be don't

(according to orangoo.com anyway)

You see, we can all make mistakes

Shaz x

By *ezebelWoman  over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

I can spell but I just cant type...I need a secretary.

A gorgeous sexy man who is good with his fingers...

By *heekychezzaWoman  over a year ago

warrington

you and me both!!lol

"you and me both!!lol"
lol i want a sex slave for a week.cant find one anywhere xx

"you and me both!!lol lol i want a sex slave for a week.cant find one anywhere xx"

me too but only if he can type

on second thoughts, sod the typing...

"you and me both!!lol lol i want a sex slave for a week.cant find one anywhere xx

on second thoughts, sod the typing..."

yeah sod the typing i want to make sure he can cook!! xx

"you and me both!!lol lol i want a sex slave for a week.cant find one anywhere xx

on second thoughts, sod the typing... yeah sod the typing i want to make sure he can cook!! xx"

is that cook with an 'f'??

on second thoughts, sod the typing... yeah sod the typing i want to make sure he can cook!! xx

is that cook with an 'f'??"

no.........cook with a "i bend to ur every whim mistress"

on second thoughts, sod the typing... yeah sod the typing i want to make sure he can cook!! xx

is that cook with an 'f'??no.........cook with a "i bend to ur every whim mistress""

I burnt the toast - spank me , spank me...

is that cook with an 'f'??no.........cook with a "i bend to ur every whim mistress"

I burnt the toast - spank me , spank me..."

maybe we could get some one to spank us both at the same time?? what dya reckon? x

is that cook with an 'f'??no.........cook with a "i bend to ur every whim mistress"

I burnt the toast - spank me , spank me...maybe we could get some one to spank us both at the same time?? what dya reckon? x"

now youre talking girl...x

By *teve_SoleilCouple  over a year ago

Malaysia

spelling and grammar isn't really a problem and can't really show personalities...but it could to a certain extent...like how handwriting could...but it's not always accurate..:D

However, some bad spelling or grammar can really make people misunderstood each other...esp in the net...where we don't see body language...:D...

was waiting for some clever dick to pick me up on my lack of capitals!! i dont think you'll find this is bad grammar just me being lazy!! so there!!

2 say how many of u find text talk irritating how many of u put 'lol' 'lmao' '' ????? lol

Snag is they are accronyms... Not quite the same as 'txt spk'...

People who write in 'txt spk' just look thick...... When in the wrong context at least.

In the last couple of years we have even received a few C.V's written like it.. Truly think people don't now know the difference..

All it does is show laziness..

It can be hard sometimes to know whether people are poor spellers or poor typists! I'm OK with typing as I use all four fingers and thumbs ... of both hands But I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who make spelling mistakes because they are in too much of a rush when typing rather than because they are ignorant!

PMSL!!!!!

What a corker - you will have to let us know his response....lol"

i just got a reply.... he said, " i bet we cud have some fun" lol get in, result, i might try it again lol xx

I spend all day at work making sure my spelling, and comprehension is correct. At home online I use the shortest words that can be understood by others. lol

well....

the other day i received a verification it started with ....... I met scummy1 .....

i gotta say i laughed my head off, i'm just so glad i spotted it and didnt put it on my profile .... lol

Forum Mod

"well....

the other day i received a verification it started with ....... I met scummy1 .....

i gotta say i laughed my head off, i'm just so glad i spotted it and didnt put it on my profile .... lol "

LMAO!!

The odd typo or careful use of things like "lol" are quite ok, I think.

However I really don't feel comfortable swapping words with someone who obviously either can't spell, or use reasonable grammar, or worst of all use text shorthand.

At the risk of being totally wrong, I just get the instant feeling that they are going to be someone that I don't want to spend private time with, and just decline to go any further.

Above all - I do hate it when I take the time to write a decent message to somebody, only to get a short one-liner back, expecting me to take further interests - I don't!

» Add a new message to this topic