FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > slimming on the NHS

slimming on the NHS

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *uby0000 OP   Woman  over a year ago

hertfordshire

do you think its right that gps refer obese patients to slimming clubs?

is it right we pay for them to try and lose weight or would it save money in the long run?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

If that's something the patient wants then yes why not and of course it cost effective in the long run...my GP has never mentioned my weight to be honest...

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Hmmmm...

If they want/need help, it should be there for them so yes.

You have been able to get coupon's for free slimming world and weight watchers classes for a few years now

hertfordshire

"You have been able to get coupon's for free slimming world and weight watchers classes for a few years now "

my gp has never said about it preffering slimming pills

"You have been able to get coupon's for free slimming world and weight watchers classes for a few years now

my gp has never said about it preffering slimming pills "

i go to slimming world and there are a few women in my group that use coupons they got from the GP

If it helps improve health and reduce long term costs both physical and financial then why not?

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

There is no point shoving a voucher at an overweight person and saying get yourself to a slimming group. Like everything in life you will only do it when your good and ready.

There is a lot of help for overweight people, hospital diaticians and nhs programmes, they would be better off working with the psycology of why someone is overweight and why they have a bad relationship with food.

I will always have a bad relationship with food no matter what i way, but maybe if i knew why it would change things

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

NHS have been helping people give up fags and booze for years. Proactive instead of reactive care might save some money.

"There is no point shoving a voucher at an overweight person and saying get yourself to a slimming group. Like everything in life you will only do it when your good and ready.

There is a lot of help for overweight people, hospital diaticians and nhs programmes, they would be better off working with the psycology of why someone is overweight and why they have a bad relationship with food.

I will always have a bad relationship with food no matter what i way, but maybe if i knew why it would change things"

totally agree

its like any addiction, you will only quit what you accept you have a problem and want to solve it

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

I see this in the same way as offering people help to quit smoking or stop substance misuse.

I agree that the person needs to be ready and genuinely want to achieve the goal for the support to work. If under pressure from family and peers, that will not be sufficient.

I think it is a good idea in principle but I think they should offer different diets, not just slimming world and weight watchers. It should include ketogenic diets as a priority.

I know one woman who has been told she is morbidly obese who gets gym and swimming vouchers.

Money would be better off spent educating on healthy lifestyle rather than slimming.

And give them free membership to local leisure centre for 6 months

By *adyGardenWoman  over a year ago

LONDON (se)

I think it depends why they are obese in the first place. I know women that just eat crap all the time and have an unhealthy lifestyle with no exercise. No these should not be helped.

My aunt used to be a stick thin size 8 and due to illness and medication is fluctuating between 20 and 24. She doesn't eat unhealthy and exercises when she can. No she shouldn't be helped either as it would make no difference as it is her illness and medication that makes her bigger.

If you went through hard times and ate yourself big to deal with stress are trying to get slim again but fund it hard to get motivated and lack finances to join then yes. Slimming clubs will help them find the motivation they want to fight the fat they wsnt to lose and in the long run be much more cost affective.

Then there are people like me that think fuck diet and exercise life is for living and I'm happy in my own skin. Yes I may like to be slimmer but I enjoy good food and fine wine and yummy chocolate much more than I want to be slim. I'm much happier being a little bigger than when I was slim

hertfordshire

it is an addiction but unlike cigs and booze we cant cut out food .. we need it

I agree with the therapy getting to the cause helps .. in my case my hubby lives to eat and no he does not force food down my throat but I can never say no

"NHS have been helping people give up fags and booze for years. Proactive instead of reactive care might save some money."

It might also help save some lives.

They should give them a coupon for which they can exchange less spending on food for more spending on activity!

I do sometimes think that some people's shopping must cost an absolute fortune just to sustain their weight.

"NHS have been helping people give up fags and booze for years. Proactive instead of reactive care might save some money."

"I know one woman who has been told she is morbidly obese who gets gym and swimming vouchers. "

its via a gp referral.. its 16 classees/session but you pay £32

hertfordshire

[Removed by poster at 28/05/14 19:37:23]

hertfordshire

I used to go to slimming world but couldn't afford to keep going

"There is no point shoving a voucher at an overweight person and saying get yourself to a slimming group. Like everything in life you will only do it when your good and ready.

I will always have a bad relationship with food no matter what i way, but maybe if i knew why it would change things"

very fortunate in the SWest and i'm currently on one of these programs and i have learnt so much about food.

Its an hour of education with either a dietician/psycologist or a GP followed by an hour of physical activity.

In Torbay you can self refer yourself to the 'healthy lifestyles' program or your GP can put you forward.

"Money would be better off spent educating on healthy lifestyle rather than slimming.

And give them free membership to local leisure centre for 6 months "

The only problem with that is, a healthy lifestyle consists of food, exercise, smoking, to name a few.

Some people have addicted personalities or issues which causes them to eat, drink, smoke, having them conquer them all at once could be a mind bender leading to more issues so best take one at a time.

"I used to go to slimming world but couldn't afford to keep going "

Could be worth asking your GP.. Its on the SWorld website that they accept this

I agree that slimming should be available on the NHS.

Companies like Swimming World and WeightWatchers are quite expensive and there is additional onus to buy food, cook books, cooking implements etc and its an expense many can afford.

Perhaps a service to provide weekly weigh ins, easy recipes with 'normal' food and not obscure meals with difficult to find and expensive ingredients and information and support which was completely free to the service user.

I pay each week would love to have my doctor pay

"I agree that slimming should be available on the NHS.

Companies like Swimming World and WeightWatchers are quite expensive and there is additional onus to buy food, cook books, cooking implements etc and its an expense many can afford.

Perhaps a service to provide weekly weigh ins, easy recipes with 'normal' food and not obscure meals with difficult to find and expensive ingredients and information and support which was completely free to the service user. "

Do they have big inflatables and flumes at swimming world?

I will always have a bad relationship with food no matter what i way, but maybe if i knew why it would change things

very fortunate in the SWest and i'm currently on one of these programs and i have learnt so much about food.

Its an hour of education with either a dietician/psycologist or a GP followed by an hour of physical activity.

In Torbay you can self refer yourself to the 'healthy lifestyles' program or your GP can put you forward. "

If surgeries were to provide a service which educated people with regard to healthy eating and to explore their relationship with food followed by an exercise class it would be far more beneficial to the participants than lining the pockets of companies like Slimming World and Weightwatchers.

Losing weight is only half the battle, keeping it off is much harder for many people. Understanding that permanent weight loss means changing your eating habits for life and not just for the duration of a "diet" is key to successful weight loss and healthy living.

Will educating people about food really fix their habits? I struggle to believe that people aren't already educated enough to know that eating shit without burning it off will make the fat.

Not to say it has no value, but I wonder if attitude/motivation is more of an issue than education.

"Will educating people about food really fix their habits? I struggle to believe that people aren't already educated enough to know that eating shit without burning it off will make the fat.

Not to say it has no value, but I wonder if attitude/motivation is more of an issue than education."

I know I'd eat a lot less if it wasn't so damn tasty!

"If surgeries were to provide a service which educated people with regard to healthy eating and to explore their relationship with food followed by an exercise class it would be far more beneficial to the participants than lining the pockets of companies like Slimming World and Weightwatchers.

Losing weight is only half the battle, keeping it off is much harder for many people. Understanding that permanent weight loss means changing your eating habits for life and not just for the duration of a "diet" is key to successful weight loss and healthy living. "

The group i attend is every other week for 6 months.. i'm approaching the end of it now sadly. But its now with this new education and fresh mindset that i feel id be more successful being a member of a weight loss group.

The NHS dont give you diet sheets or menu's. just use the 'eat well' plate and bits of everything in proportion is good..

Learning about emotions and other contributing factors to when and why we eat has made me re think things.

Simple things like when as a child if i did something good id get a treat from my mother, or sweets on a saturday if all homework was done, we treat ourselves to celebrate, or when we are tired/stressed..

weather influences food choices.. summer salads,,, raining and its take away or fried foods

do people bulk buy? buy one get one free's on biscuits/chock. normally we buy crisps in multi packs rather than one at a time..

"Will educating people about food really fix their habits? I struggle to believe that people aren't already educated enough to know that eating shit without burning it off will make the fat.

Not to say it has no value, but I wonder if attitude/motivation is more of an issue than education."

Talking personally, understanding and accepting things has helped me.. id have denied point blank i snacked eaten before.. but figuring out why i did things and now confronting those issues and dealing with them has helped me.

When i was little my mum often said 'you cant have pudding until you have eaten all your dinner.. or you cant leave the table until its all gone' and those things perhaps added to my hate of waste..

there are lots of things i have learnt. Thats not a stand alone reason btw..

Not to say it has no value, but I wonder if attitude/motivation is more of an issue than education.

Talking personally, understanding and accepting things has helped me.. id have denied point blank i snacked eaten before.. but figuring out why i did things and now confronting those issues and dealing with them has helped me.

When i was little my mum often said 'you cant have pudding until you have eaten all your dinner.. or you cant leave the table until its all gone' and those things perhaps added to my hate of waste..

there are lots of things i have learnt. Thats not a stand alone reason btw.. "

That was what I meant about educating people, understanding the triggers which make us eat, and more often than not the wrong things, would go a long way to helping motivated people deal with obesity.

Its true there are plenty of people who are too lazy and eat too much and have no motivation to shed excess weight, no amount of help and support will help anyone who is not motivated to help themselves.

hertfordshire

I have so much stress in my life at mo and do tend to comfort eat too

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

couldn't agree more!!

You can get lots of help on the NHS to give up cigarettes and alcohol....

I believe the nhs is only going to pay for 12 weeks membership if it goes through. Not for the whole time you are committed to loosing weight.

I pay for my membership as I'm not "obese enough" for help on the nhs

"I believe the nhs is only going to pay for 12 weeks membership if it goes through. Not for the whole time you are committed to loosing weight."

it is only 12 weeks, there's a few ladies that go to the slimming world group i use that have vouchers and they all say you only get 12 weeks worth you pay yourself after that

Yes indeed as bring obese as we all know is unsafe when i say obese on this context i nean folk who can hardly walk due to weight issues.

However should the person not wish to slim for sake of own health then that must be down to them.

If then should that person fall ill with weight related issues after being given option of help then someone who has actually taken the help and advice should get treatment first in my opinion.

Realise others may think differently but hey ho.

"I pay for my membership as I'm not "obese enough" for help on the nhs "

i know the referral for the gym you have to have a bmi over 30

didnt know there was a weight to qualify

Although im loosing weight again, it goes in fits and starts, but im so happy in my skin. All my last lot of blood tests came back perfect, sugars, cholestral, blood pressure spot on. Its just this prolactinoma thats a pain and thats not weight related

"I pay for my membership as I'm not "obese enough" for help on the nhs

i know the referral for the gym you have to have a bmi over 30

didnt know there was a weight to qualify "

I'm disabled so the gym things was no good for me my doctors said because I work I can afforded to pay myself lol

I know I'd eat a lot less if it wasn't so damn tasty! "

Now that is a problem

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Im all for following evidence based approaches, where the science shows benefits. Im not sure that the evidence shows effective long term sustained weight loss though from the weight watchers approaches.

» Add a new message to this topic