FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Wreck of missing UK yacht Cheeki Rafiki found

Wreck of missing UK yacht Cheeki Rafiki found

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

The hull of the missing UK yacht Cheeki Rafiki has been found in North Atlantic ocean, the US Coast Guard has told the BBC.

A spokesman said a surface swimmer had identified the name on the back of the boat, but was unable to go inside.

They expect to find the rest of the vessel soon, he added.

(taken from the BBC Wbsite)

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Aawwww im glad but sad too

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I'm glad they found it, but I think they'll be lucky to find any survivors.

"Aawwww im glad but sad too "

same, but at least it could give some answers to questions the families have.

By *he tactile technicianMan  over a year ago

the good lands, the bad lands, the any where you may want me lands

"Aawwww im glad but sad too

"

Everyone knows that they are long gone from the yacht, the EPERBS that were activated were first of all the EPERB that would have triggered with the yacht capsizing, or even been activated manually as the crew abandoned to the life raft, and the second EPERB was then tracked some 25 miles from the position of the original beacon being triggered. The swimmer should have examined more closely to discover if there was a trailing line in the water from where they had cut the teher between the life raft and the yacht, but then I doubt if they wanted to hang around in those conditions.

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I doubt there are any survivors but I hope there are...sad times for the family

By *uby0000Woman  over a year ago

hertfordshire

watched a film called survive the savage seas the other day true story and they survived 38 days I know its doubtful but...

Everyone knows that they are long gone from the yacht, the EPERBS that were activated were first of all the EPERB that would have triggered with the yacht capsizing, or even been activated manually as the crew abandoned to the life raft, and the second EPERB was then tracked some 25 miles from the position of the original beacon being triggered. The swimmer should have examined more closely to discover if there was a trailing line in the water from where they had cut the teher between the life raft and the yacht, but then I doubt if they wanted to hang around in those conditions.

"

The tethers are attatched with a weak breaking point. Granted the line could have been snagged but I'm sure the USCG knew how to conduct a SAR operation. Ive been part of a coalition effort to locate a yacht and believe me it is like searching for the proverbial needle. My thoughts are with the families. Good speed.

its amazing what people can do in a survival situation, the will to live is strong

But even if there are no surviver's at least their families will know, for me I think the worse part would be not knowing

By *he tactile technicianMan  over a year ago

the good lands, the bad lands, the any where you may want me lands

a very dark day in UK sailing history, so many questions remain unanswered, but nobody is going to have the answers now. Our thoughts are with the families and their friends RIP Cheeki Rafiki crew

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

"a very dark day in UK sailing history, so many questions remain unanswered, but nobody is going to have the answers now. Our thoughts are with the families and their friends RIP Cheeki Rafiki crew "

They ain't said they are dead yet....

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

life raft not deployed ..... sad times for the families and all the sailing community

By *im himCouple (MM)  over a year ago

bedworth

Funny they found it but still looking for a jumbo jet .

"Funny they found it but still looking for a jumbo jet . "

Not really funny at all.

"life raft not deployed ..... sad times for the families and all the sailing community "

sad times

The tethers are attatched with a weak breaking point. Granted the line could have been snagged but I'm sure the USCG knew how to conduct a SAR operation. Ive been part of a coalition effort to locate a yacht and believe me it is like searching for the proverbial needle. My thoughts are with the families. Good speed."

The uscg isn't a small or voluntary organisation. It's actually one of the armed forces in the u.s. and sar operations are one of the main remits it has. The swimmer would've found out everything they were able to. Those guys go hate losing even more than other military.

"Funny they found it but still looking for a jumbo jet . "

The jet didn't send a message via satellite giving its last position or remain in the main intact and floating on the surface of the ocean.

Hope the families can find comfort in the fact that every effort was made to locate their loved ones.

"Funny they found it but still looking for a jumbo jet .

The jet didn't send a message via satellite giving its last position or remain in the main intact and floating on the surface of the ocean.

Hope the families can find comfort in the fact that every effort was made to locate their loved ones."

Didn't they call off the search and a petition was made to start it again??

By *ss2011Man  over a year ago

Leeds/Bradford

The aliens took that jet.

"Funny they found it but still looking for a jumbo jet .

Hope the families can find comfort in the fact that every effort was made to locate their loved ones.

Didn't they call off the search and a petition was made to start it again?? "

Yes, they were searching the mid-atlantic, the visability was at times reported to be less than 1 mile, the epirb had ceased to transmit so they only had an old position which is effected by winds,tides and currents.

Without survival suits or being in a liferaft survival times in an ocean is very limited, sometimes minutes... As it happens the USCG were probably correct in their assement that there was no hope of finding survivors.

» Add a new message to this topic