FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Accident ( what would you do )

Accident ( what would you do )

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Ok well on my way from the office to the job this morning I was involved in an accident. nothing too serious just a few scrapes on the van, the other guys car is worse than mine.

now I made sure him and his passenger were ok first. Then swapped details as you do etc

I had a phone call from one of his friends asking me if it was possible to sort this with out going via the insurance route.

As the other driver was only 22 so his insurance will go up.

I asked him why he pulled out on me ( I was driving along a main road and he pulled out of a side street right into the side of our van )

his answer was I fort you was going to stop!! really ?

now he wasn't speeding nor on the phone didn't smell of beer.

on the back of my mind is if we settle our selves so he has a get out of jail free card so to speak how will he learn. what if next time he pulls out and is hit by a truck and killed or worse kills someone else.

I no might be going over the top a little but you don't no do you ?

Seriously what would you do ??

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Take the money,

If it was me i would get a quote from the main dealer and give it to him with the previso that he comes up with the cash in five working days..People tend to learn quickly when it hits them hard in the pocket.

Gimp

Let him settle with cash. It'll make little difference to you. Get three quotes and let him choose which one to go for. Get cash up front before any work is done. Give him a week to pay or you'll contact his insurers. He'll soon learn, we all make mistakes.

Insurans job and stop mucking about.

Had a guy did exactly the same on me several years ago.

After several phone calls,it turned out he wasnt insured and the car he was driving was his girlfriends mothers Disability car.

He had been using it with everyones knowledge,but was not named on the insurance to say a few quid.

Finished up going through the insurance in the end, as he couldnt afford to fix the van I was driving, or the brand new car he smashed up.

I would think he has no insurance.

By *ScotsmanMan  over a year ago

ayrshire

As above,just aware. Smell for rats x

By *oom18Couple  over a year ago

Rotherham

Got rear ended myself a few weeks ago (actually got my repaired car back tday), claim through the insurance, do you think this guy will pay for a hire car whilst yours is being repaired and he probably doesnt realise how much repairs cost either if done at a legit shop. do it right or risk getting bitten.

By *adybee77Woman  over a year ago

MAMOBA, miles and miles of bugger all (Aberdeenshire)

harsh, but I'd go the insurance route, that way your repair is done properly, and he might learn that other people have right of way.

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

Insurance, less complications, less likely to come back and bite you. I'm always wary of people wanting to do cash deals.

Insurance.maybe he'll learn you can't expect people will stop when he pulls out in front of them.

I'm no expert. But if this guys not insured will the OP be left having his insurance company footing the bill. At the op's no claims bonus expense and premium increase. Leaving the Un insured driver with three points and a insignificant fine.

By *teveanddebsCouple  over a year ago

Norwich

Whatever happens your insurance is going up for the next 5 years so remember to factor that in to any settlement.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Go through HIS insurance.

Notify your insurance.

If he doesn't have insurance he should be done!

Don't feel guilty. He doesn't when he risks causing huge costs to others or even deaths.

By *hortieWoman  over a year ago

Northampton

I'd stop fannying about and go the insurance route. A biker wouldn't have been so lucky in your situation.

"Let him settle with cash. It'll make little difference to you. Get three quotes and let him choose which one to go for. Get cash up front before any work is done. Give him a week to pay or you'll contact his insurers. He'll soon learn, we all make mistakes. "

Personally I'd be getting suspicious the moment a friend called.

I'd go down the insurance route less hassle and less chance of things getting griefy

"Personally I'd be getting suspicious the moment a friend called.

I'd go down the insurance route less hassle and less chance of things getting griefy"

^^^^ this.

I would also let the insurance company know he asked

crystal

ayrshire

Having thought i agree.would he have been so accommodating .? Probably not.

By *uby0000Woman  over a year ago

hertfordshire

years ago my hubby went into a car turned out he was a lawyer anyway he kept phoning and asking me out so I did and the bastard still put in a claim

"years ago my hubby went into a car turned out he was a lawyer anyway he kept phoning and asking me out so I did and the bastard still put in a claim "

Haha I cant help but laugh I mean no offence but the cheek lol

he had his cake and ate it as well

Fuck him

after reading your comments im thinking more to the insurance route.

But so true what 5Hortie said "what if it had been a bike"

Insurance it is!

Thanks for your comments helped put my mind at ease about my decision

"Fuck him"

I don't think you need to go quite that far, just claim off his insurance

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Fuck him

I don't think you need to go quite that far, just claim off his insurance "

By *uby0000Woman  over a year ago

hertfordshire

"years ago my hubby went into a car turned out he was a lawyer anyway he kept phoning and asking me out so I did and the bastard still put in a claim

Haha I cant help but laugh I mean no offence but the cheek lol

he had his cake and ate it as well"

got my own back by denting his ego as I told him he was crap lol

By *illionsandbillionsMan  over a year ago

Gwent

Insurance all the way mate dont fuck about with things like that they can turn sour pretty easy, although i do sympathise with the guy better be safe than sorry.

"Personally I'd be getting suspicious the moment a friend called.

I'd go down the insurance route less hassle and less chance of things getting griefy"

mmmm have to agree

ayrshire

"Fuck him"
i think that sums up the consensus concisely

Go through the insurance. Going to a gararge for a quote and asking him to pay it is never agood idea. Costs and expenses can spiral once work starts.

Going through the insurance will teach him a valuable, test hard earned, lesson.

As has been said go through insurance.

Someone rear ended my car on the motorway whilst on the motorway £3000 repair bill and a hire car for £30 a day. For best part of a month plus 7 sessions of physio which came to £500.

I would of never settled privately

Insurance = legit repairs etc

On the motorway whilst on the motorway lol oops

"Ok well on my way from the office to the job this morning I was involved in an accident. nothing too serious just a few scrapes on the van, the other guys car is worse than mine.

now I made sure him and his passenger were ok first. Then swapped details as you do etc

I had a phone call from one of his friends asking me if it was possible to sort this with out going via the insurance route.

As the other driver was only 22 so his insurance will go up.

I asked him why he pulled out on me ( I was driving along a main road and he pulled out of a side street right into the side of our van )

his answer was I fort you was going to stop!! really ?

now he wasn't speeding nor on the phone didn't smell of beer.

on the back of my mind is if we settle our selves so he has a get out of jail free card so to speak how will he learn. what if next time he pulls out and is hit by a truck and killed or worse kills someone else.

I no might be going over the top a little but you don't no do you ?

Seriously what would you do ??"

your automatically noted as being involved in a non fault accident with your insurance company and deemed a possible liability, it will follow you with any insurance company for 5 years. Take the money asap and dont tell insurance company unless he messes you around.

This happened to myself a few weeks ago on a school carpark, a young mum took the corner to close and damaged the back right handside of my car. Her insurance was 1200 for 6mths and worried how much it would go up as not long passed. We settled without insurance getting involved. The bump was enough as she niw walks to school or parks in the side road. If they are to learn a lesson they will. I feel he deserves a chance, im sure he will think twice before pulling out again. Best of luck. Xx

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

You can check what links are allowed from the forum rules.

http://www.fabswingers.com/content/forum-rules

Would have always given someone a chance until last year .

Someone claimed of my insurance for crashing into me.

A guy lost controll off his bike , ,bounced off my van and tumbled down the road.

I had an ambulance there in minutes and even rescued what was left of his bike.

Two weeks later he claimed that I caused the accident and as no one else was there as a witness my insurance paid out.

Guess who has now got no claims and a hefty insurance bill and he claimed through a no win no fee claim company rather than his own insurance!

We all have been there and thank god for insurance. If you ve had an accident what's the most ur insurance company has had to pay out to the injured person.

I'll start was in Ireland 20 odd years ago cost the insurance over 200, 000 Irish money. My insurance never went up cause they knew it was a doggie claim but very hard to dis prove medical evidence

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"Would have always given someone a chance until last year .

Someone claimed of my insurance for crashing into me.

A guy lost controll off his bike , ,bounced off my van and tumbled down the road.

I had an ambulance there in minutes and even rescued what was left of his bike.

Two weeks later he claimed that I caused the accident and as no one else was there as a witness my insurance paid out.

Guess who has now got no claims and a hefty insurance bill and he claimed through a no win no fee claim company rather than his own insurance!

"

had exactly the same except the cunt waited three years to claim by that time i had disposed of the witness details and the cops wernt interested lead to me being refused for insurance as i knew nothing about it (no contact from my old insurance company ) for failing to tell my new company when they ran a check.nearly cost me my car as had insured the car on line next day drove to scotland got stopped for no insurance (they had cancelled it by email ) cost me £200 fine six points and £462 to insure the car at the side of the road

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

sometimes you have to be aware that if you don't report an accident within 24hrs to your insurers, they sometimes don't accept the claim...

from there point... why would you wait longer than that?

I would let your insurers know there may be a "possible" claim.... and that gives the other person time if you want to go down that route before dropping the hammer if you have to

» Add a new message to this topic