FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > do you wish you had tried harder at school?

do you wish you had tried harder at school?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ichaelangela OP   Couple  over a year ago

notts

I do and I dont.

Teachers were always telling me I had so much more potential if I would stop messing about but the advice got ignored.

left school as soon as I could, but my life worked out quite good, I started and sold 3 good businesses in my time and retired early, so who was right in the end??

do you wish you had took more notice at school??

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *onestjohn1962Man  over a year ago

Sheffield

I was the first in our family to go to Uni - it was never ever an option for me to do anything else.

I have always been employed and now have a great job - but I see friends who worked in the Police and Fire Service who are the same age as me and have already retired.

And I guess that I will always work for someone else - never had the balls to go on my own.

So in answer to the question I guess I worked hard enough to get where I am now - but I am not sure that it is the best place I could have been.

Could've - Would've - Should've !!

I really am a glass is half full type of person - not complaining at all. Everything I have done has happened - if I wanted desperately to change something then I would have.

As Sir John Harvey-Jones says "SUMO" = shut up and move on !!!!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I do and I dont.

Teachers were always telling me I had so much more potential if I would stop messing about but the advice got ignored.

left school as soon as I could, but my life worked out quite good, I started and sold 3 good businesses in my time and retired early, so who was right in the end??

do you wish you had took more notice at school??"

The teachers were right. When you left school you stopped messing about and fulfilled your true potential. Q.E.D.

In hindsight and with the benefit of having experienced life in the real world, I really wish many my teachers had tried harder...or at least had gained some real life experience themselves before they became teachers...

By *ichaelangela OP   Couple  over a year ago

notts

"In hindsight and with the benefit of having experienced life in the real world, I really wish many my teachers had tried harder...or at least had gained some real life experience themselves before they became teachers... "

very interesting comment that soxy, never looked at it from that angle

I see things from two angles, if I'd tried harder at school and followed the path I'd laid out for myself then things would be much more different, on the flip side of that though, I like what I have now and have taken the hand that has been dealt to me and made the most out of it. I don't regret choosing to follow the alternative path. Life's too short and precious to regret the things we have or haven't done.

Messed about at school, then had to spend 5 years in my 20's making up for it at evening classes and OU, from nothing to a degree.

But I had a lot of fun in my teens when I should have been at school, remember the succession of bad jobs but with great people in late teens / early 20's with great fondness. And retired at 50 to go back to working semi pro, part time at a job I did for 6 months when I was 16, only working at my actual profession about 2 months a year to top up my pension.

So, should have tried harder, but would probably have led to me still working, wealthier but not as rich.

never went to uni. feel i should have done but i left and went straight into employment and trained through the workplace. Some of my school friends who attended uni have amazing qualifications but arent using them to the potential which is a shame.

By *ScotsmanMan  over a year ago

ayrshire

Yes .

All of my school reports mention that I was very trying.

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

No, I'm happy

By *awty MaxWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"No, I'm happy "

Same here

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I could have worked harder at school, but have learned valuable lessons the way that Ive been regardless. Plenty of time for studying for the rest of our lives, and working our brains is a life saver as people age. It is not worth having regrets, as long as we make our choices today that are good for us. My key failing at school was being a bit cheeky, but it has helped develop a non-conformist mindset, which Im happy with.

By *ScotsmanMan  over a year ago

ayrshire

I was so trying at school the teacher stopped belting my hands with his taws and started shutting me in a cupboard with the bunson burners all pointing my way

I think the key to any success is to work hard, whether that be at school/work/life/love etc..

You can always work your way up in a company, if you show willing, capabilities and strength of character. You get to a certain age where what grades you had in school aren't as important as who you are as a person and your experience.

My brother was awful in school, quit as soon as he was 16, left with no qualifications, joined the Marines, went onto special forces and now does maritime security earning £300+ PER DAY!! My other brother went to Uni, graduated and is now an accountant earning much much less and also much less life experience (in my opinion).

after 5 years of messing about I left school with 3 cse's, and decided not to go to college as i'd hated school so much. However, a crap education notwithstanding, I've had some great jobs, learnt lots, lived abroad and travelled the world and now that I finally have the time and the focus I am doing a BA in Humanities with art history, through the OU....would I go back and change any of it for the sake of a 'good' education'? no I don't think I would as i would have missed out on so much more

Didn't do qualifications at my school so made no difference tbh

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

Oh hell yes, I would not have gone round for 11 years of my life working in dead end jobs for shit pay, not saying I didn't enjoy them but the pay was awful.

I don't regret too much ... have more worries for the one of mine that leaves today ... than I do for the one of mine that leaves in a month with special needs - will be interesting to see which one of them achieves their full potential

I was head girl, went off to uni, did my masters degree too. Wish I'd tried harder to have more fun at school/uni then maybe I wouldn't be on here making up for lost time xx

If you were lucky enough to know what you wanted to do in life when you were younger then you'd work towards it. I was one of the lucky ones who did and luckier that my teachers pushed me in that direction. It's all well and good saying "I'd have got further if..." but if you don't have a goal in mind, you're just working towards something that will probably make you unhappy. Everyone has a different path.

By *ock in cider101Man  over a year ago

Worcester

I think this is a catch 22.

When you are at school you never fully understand the importance of it unless you are at a private school (where they drill it into you).

I went to an under par secondary school and really wished I had tried harder but in saying that, I never had the support from my parents to try harder.

If you have supportive parents then I think whatever you do, you will do it as best as you can.

In saying this, I am pretty happy with what I have done since leaving school but I do always think what if I had tried harder...

» Add a new message to this topic