FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > No Stairway... denied

No Stairway... denied

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hyllyphylly OP   Man  over a year ago

Bradford

(couldn't resist the Wayne World reference )

Led Zeppelin's 'Stairway to Heaven' Targeted for Plagiarism

Lawyers representing the group Spirit claim song's intro resembles their 1968 track "Taurus"

Here's Stairway......http://youtu.be/w9TGj2jrJk8

Here's Taurus........ http://youtu.be/xd8AVbwB_6E

What say you? Do they have a claim?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

My son says yes and my OH says no

They both listened to it yesterday

Bradford

I can hear similarities, but not a flat copy

There is a set of chord progressions that are similar but no way is it plagiarism lol

Sounds like modern dance shite to me.

There are 15 seconds or so which Zep have definatly nicked, but developed much better.

It begs the question why it's taken this long to complain/sue, it's not like Zep were obscure.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

Sounds like modern dance shite to me.

There are 15 seconds or so which Zep have definatly nicked, but developed much better.

It begs the question why it's taken this long to complain/sue, it's not like Zep were obscure.

"

this... there about about 4 bars for the middle of the song that are the same... and i suppose you could say they should have credited them... but you can't say those four bars are unique... and plaugerised...

"(couldn't resist the Wayne World reference )

Led Zeppelin's 'Stairway to Heaven' Targeted for Plagiarism

Lawyers representing the group Spirit claim song's intro resembles their 1968 track "Taurus"

Here's Stairway......http://youtu.be/w9TGj2jrJk8

Here's Taurus........ http://youtu.be/xd8AVbwB_6E

What say you? Do they have a claim? "

Nothing similar about them and are they claiming that this guy could play like a Jimmy Page! Why wait so long to make a claim. That said, Led Zep have had to give credits to writers on a few other songs.

And quite a few they didn't give credit to as well.

They've got form.

By *anny PepperoniMan  over a year ago

Matlock

This has been talked about for years along with the many many other tracks that Zep adopted as their own. What fuels the debate on this one is that Spirit were playing this on the same bill as Zeppelin before Stairway was was written.

Bradford

"

"

According to Rolling Stone Magazine's website....

Spirit and California's family have waited until now to challenge the song's authorship because they did not have the means to pay attorneys. At the end of California's life, he would play sitar at an Indian restaurant in exchange for food.

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

I don't think they can claim plagarism. It may well be that their track 'inspired' Jimmy Page to create his, but nothing in the creative arts is entirely unconnected to what went before anyway, and the melody is different.

"

According to Rolling Stone Magazine's website....

Spirit and California's family have waited until now to challenge the song's authorship because they did not have the means to pay attorneys. At the end of California's life, he would play sitar at an Indian restaurant in exchange for food.

"

That's because his music wasn't up to it.

Newcastle and Gateshead

what you are basically talking about is a 5 chord progession in the middle of the song that lasts 5 seconds....

i don't think you can own "a chord progression"....

but yes... they have previous in this.... so it will be interesting to see what the court decides...

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Newsnight had this one last night. They played them together... interesting but probably not enough for a claim.

By *anny PepperoniMan  over a year ago

Matlock

"Newsnight had this one last night. They played them together... interesting but probably not enough for a claim.

"

I think it's closer than My Sweet Lord was to the Chiffons He's So Fine but George Harrison lost that one.

Newcastle and Gateshead

there is a brilliant australian band called "axis of awesome" which shows you why this case would never win in a really clever way.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOlDewpCfZQ

The is a slight resemblance but it for a few seconds. My personal view is that spirit are jealous that led zeppelin created a similar sounding verse that sounded better and has rocketed in the rock charts making then famous.

Jealousy and greed for attention in my eyes

There is slight similarity in a small part of the song but the lyrics, the solo and the awesomeness of the track, did they steal those from spirit too?

Yes zep borrowed from their heroes, believe me the more i listen to delta blues, the more i hear it but its not stealing, all musicians are inspired by what came before. For instance, how many more times and whole lotta love have lyrics from other songs but sound nothing like the original song. Zep took them and undoubtedly made them their own

» Add a new message to this topic