FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Tan or not to tan?

Tan or not to tan?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *emmefatale OP   Woman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

We should all be aware of the dangers of skin cancer by now, its up 70%!

I like to be a nice golden colour during the summer months but always use high factor creams and never stay in the sun too long in one go etc....

So do you prefer a tan out of a bottle or stay pale/prefer your skin as it is!

Or do you use sunbeds?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 20/05/14 21:21:53]

By *ibanditMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

I let the sun do what it will to my SPF 30 covered skin.

i love the sun - use a sun bed a couple of times to get a base but as soon as the sun is out - so am i - low factor - dont really burn - lots of moisturiser/oil after but then i oil my bod daily anyway -

By *ScotsmanMan  over a year ago

ayrshire

If im lucky some of my freckles join up and from a distance looks like Jesus

I admit that I used to use a sunbed but don't any more. I luv to lie in the sun but as I'm fair, I'm very careful about using sun protection and never stay out for more than 30 minutes at a time. My back yard is a sun trap so I have to come indoors to cool down anyway!

I don't even use lotion.

If I go down I'm taking you all with me.

I don't really fancy the look of basal cell or squamous cell carcinomas...

Slap on the lotion

crystal

used to have a sunbed years ago but now i don't use them..i tend to tan quite easily and don't burn and always use factor 8

I would rather stay white than use sun beds. I dont self tan either, I would just end up patchy. Religiously use suncream and rarely tan. First time I didn't wear suncream was this Saturday, never again! Ouch

Don't do the sun ..I really don't want the old leather look when I get older thankyou ..

I have to wear sun block all year round. I have burnt my forehead in January. If I'm going to be outside for any length of time and the sun is out I will burn, even in winter.

"Don't do the sun ..I really don't want the old leather look when I get older thankyou .. "

dirtybigbadsgirlville

SPF lower than 15, isn't really going to protect you against UV radiation apparently.

I work in the sun so get an involuntary tan every summer. T-shirt tans look a bit ridiculous so I have a brilliant excuse to get the tits out.

By *livia_KWoman  over a year ago

South London

I am quite happy with my natural pale whiteness. When I was a kid in Aussie Land I used to go really brown. But since living here my skin has changed a lot and now I am really pale. I actually hate the fake tan look.

By *r-UniqueMan  over a year ago

Carmarthenshire

Someone should do full research as maybe having too much sun can kill, but maybe too little sun doesn't help either. So covering yourself in make up doesn't help either and I don't mean the odd bit. I mean to the point where your drowning in it. Maybe those chemicals don't help things either. Not to mention it blocks the skin from getting natural vitamins/light from the sun. Also I am not sure it's me, but it seems more and more people are wearing a ridiculous amount of make up and from a very young age too. Maybe that contributes towards it. How much, who knows though.

I use sunbeds but only about 12 minutes a week, I find that if I don't I will burn badly when out in the sun and don't reapply sun cream through the day.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I don't go in the sun. I do have vitamin d deficiency that's quite bad, but I will stay pale and interesting.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"If im lucky some of my freckles join up and from a distance looks like Jesus "

Blimey! You know what Jesus looked like?

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

Rickets has made a come back and it's believed to be due to lack of sunlight (our bodies need sunlight to make vitamin d). People are living an indoor life or using so much sunscreen and covering up that we are not getting the sun that we need.

Like most things it's about striking a balance.

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Rickets has made a come back and it's believed to be due to lack of sunlight (our bodies need sunlight to make vitamin d). People are living an indoor life or using so much sunscreen and covering up that we are not getting the sun that we need.

Like most things it's about striking a balance."

I agree its about balance.

"Rickets has made a come back and it's believed to be due to lack of sunlight (our bodies need sunlight to make vitamin d). People are living an indoor life or using so much sunscreen and covering up that we are not getting the sun that we need.

Like most things it's about striking a balance.I agree its about balance. "

balance and common sense!

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Like most things it's about striking a balance.I agree its about balance.

balance and common sense! "

Amazing how many do not understand either though.

Does that mean I should put lotion on 1/2 my body?

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Does that mean I should put lotion on 1/2 my body? "
Lube doesn't count, you know that, right?

I just rely on dna/genetics.

By *issLissCouple  over a year ago

south east

Growing up in Australia I know all about one of Australia's top killers... The only person I know to die of skin cancer was my grandad - at 92 - and during his lifetime he probably had close to 20 removed. So when the sun shines in this country I will spend as much time as I can in it - without sun lotion (shock horror) - I'm not scared of skin cancer, educate yourself know the signs and get it early and you will live a long a happy life - just like my grandad!

I love the sun these days, after a few years of staying out of it. Slap on the cream and let it all hang out is my motto now. Good job I have a pretty secluded garden. I'd give the old lady next door a heart attack

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

I don't fully understand how sun creams work.

I always used to think protection 30 would stop you getting a tan. Then someone told me that was complete bollox. But if so, why doesn't everyone wear the highest protection and ditch the rest?

I have to be careful what goes on my skin but the sun does help my psoriasis x

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

I remember when I was little my Gran used to rub us down in chip fat apparently was great sun cream. We always had lovely brown skin throughout the summer. Can't imagine we smelt that great though!!

Now I use a factor 50 on my tattoos and a 30 elsewhere. But I do sit out in the garden all year round, so get plenty of vitamin d. I tend not to tan, I've been to Egypt and Marakeesh and come back paler then I went!

Factor 50 all over, topped up every couple of hours.. and I still turn into a tomato! I just avoid the sun all together xD

By *igeiaWoman  over a year ago

Bristol

I'm careful in the sun; I have to be (fair skin and dark hair). A healthy amount of sun (enough to make my freckles come out) is as far as I go; it's not worth the risk to try and get an actual tan even if I do like the fact it makes my eyes look bluer. I don't bother with fake tan either, I may as well live with pallor.

"Growing up in Australia I know all about one of Australia's top killers... The only person I know to die of skin cancer was my grandad - at 92 - and during his lifetime he probably had close to 20 removed. So when the sun shines in this country I will spend as much time as I can in it - without sun lotion (shock horror) - I'm not scared of skin cancer, educate yourself know the signs and get it early and you will live a long a happy life - just like my grandad! "

OMG I can't believe anyone would thing such a thing! Cancer isn't something you can skirt around and no matter how much you think you can educate yourself, it's a killer! Surely prevention is better than trying for a cure!

ayrshire

"If im lucky some of my freckles join up and from a distance looks like Jesus

Blimey! You know what Jesus looked like?"

yes brown beard Jesus white beard Santa duh

If any of you lovely ladies would like to try a different kind of protection i don't mind getting my arse burnt.

Blimey! You know what Jesus looked like?yes brown beard Jesus white beard Santa duh "

Not to mention Black beard for some bloke referred to as a she singing songs for Austria.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Blimey! You know what Jesus looked like?yes brown beard Jesus white beard Santa duh "

Of course! How silly of me

Carmarthenshire

I am sure genetics play a big part too as I have heard of people roasting in it and they have a tan and that's the end of it. Then I hear about people who don't spend much time in the sun and they get the illness. Sure being hydrated plays a part in this.

I live being tanned I go very dark I don't fake it

Carmarthenshire

"I live being tanned I go very dark I don't fake it "

Unlike the umpa lumpa look or the coal mine look I see on a regular basis when the suns out

I love the sun but always have a minimum of SPF 30 on as I'm pale skinned, freckles with light blue eyes ~ a recipe for sun burn!

"Growing up in Australia I know all about one of Australia's top killers... The only person I know to die of skin cancer was my grandad - at 92 - and during his lifetime he probably had close to 20 removed. So when the sun shines in this country I will spend as much time as I can in it - without sun lotion (shock horror) - I'm not scared of skin cancer, educate yourself know the signs and get it early and you will live a long a happy life - just like my grandad! "

Are you sure about that?

ayrshire

Im so white the teachers kept mistaking me for chalk. . .so sick of bein rubbed the wrong way .

High factor I had a carcinoma cut out in my 30's it does happen was gutted

Carmarthenshire

"Im so white the teachers kept mistaking me for chalk. . .so sick of bein rubbed the wrong way ."

Come to mention it I was going to ask if you were ok as you look like you haven't been well or are you just a generous blood donee who couldn't say no

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I've learnt my lesson from this weekend...

"We should all be aware of the dangers of skin cancer by now, its up 70%!

I like to be a nice golden colour during the summer months but always use high factor creams and never stay in the sun too long in one go etc....

Or do you use sunbeds?"

I never tan whether I use cream or not. Just go red then white again. So when I do use fakery, I go for a spray tan.

ayrshire

"Im so white the teachers kept mistaking me for chalk. . .so sick of bein rubbed the wrong way .

Come to mention it I was going to ask if you were ok as you look like you haven't been well or are you just a generous blood donee who couldn't say no "

no just a vampire short of fresh blood on those particular days.

Im shocked. I knew a guy who was out in the sun all the time, working without a shirt at work and at home, no cream, lovely colour, died of skin cancer in his 40's. Not saying it will happen to you but I would say a fair chance

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"High factor I had a carcinoma cut out in my 30's it does happen was gutted "
It sure does. Complacency can severely damage your health. Glad you are ok now.

south east

"Growing up in Australia I know all about one of Australia's top killers... The only person I know to die of skin cancer was my grandad - at 92 - and during his lifetime he probably had close to 20 removed. So when the sun shines in this country I will spend as much time as I can in it - without sun lotion (shock horror) - I'm not scared of skin cancer, educate yourself know the signs and get it early and you will live a long a happy life - just like my grandad!

Are you sure about that?"

Going from what I know - and I don't know anyone in Aus who even knows anyone under the age of 80 who has died of skin cancer. Melanoma is the deadly skin cancer and that is noticeable if you know your body and yes caught early enough it will stop it from spreading. Once it's spread you are pretty fucked but educate yourself, don't live under a sun bed but you don't need to cover yourself in sun lotion or stay out of the sun. The media just feeds on scare tactics - don't go anywhere because your kids will get raped, you will die of cancer if you do anything, eat anything blah blah blah.. Like anything knowledge is power and like anything just be aware!

And my nan is still going strong at 91 with at least a dozen skin cancers under her belt.

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Growing up in Australia I know all about one of Australia's top killers... The only person I know to die of skin cancer was my grandad - at 92 - and during his lifetime he probably had close to 20 removed. So when the sun shines in this country I will spend as much time as I can in it - without sun lotion (shock horror) - I'm not scared of skin cancer, educate yourself know the signs and get it early and you will live a long a happy life - just like my grandad!

Are you sure about that?

Going from what I know - and I don't know anyone in Aus who even knows anyone under the age of 80 who has died of skin cancer. Melanoma is the deadly skin cancer and that is noticeable if you know your body and yes caught early enough it will stop it from spreading. Once it's spread you are pretty fucked but educate yourself, don't live under a sun bed but you don't need to cover yourself in sun lotion or stay out of the sun. The media just feeds on scare tactics - don't go anywhere because your kids will get raped, you will die of cancer if you do anything, eat anything blah blah blah.. Like anything knowledge is power and like anything just be aware!

And my nan is still going strong at 91 with at least a dozen skin cancers under her belt.

"

Maybe a day on a dermatology ward may change your mind. Many people who are told they are terminal through an attitude much the same as you.

I'm never really in the sun long enough to be honest...I find it weird people lying about in the sun...I have a somewhat decent defence to it, but it doesnt mean I dont need protection..but I'm one of those people who spends probably 24hrs in a year In sunshine lol(and thats nothing to with the scots weather)

By *igSuki81Man  over a year ago

Retirement Village

Or do you use sunbeds?"

None of the above, i don't have a choice i have an all year round natural 'tan'

if you want a nice even toned, lightly tanned look to your legs can recommend Airbrush Legs product ~ fabulous

Are you sure about that?

Maybe a day on a dermatology ward may change your mind. Many people who are told they are terminal through an attitude much the same as you. "

Some can't be educated and some don't want to listen....

south east

Are you sure about that?

Maybe a day on a dermatology ward may change your mind. Many people who are told they are terminal through an attitude much the same as you. "

I'm not saying people don't die of skin or that it's not horrible if someone had it. But I'm not worried about getting it, as I said I'm yet to know anyone under the age of 80 who has died from it. Both my maternal grandparents died of lung cancer at the age of 50 yet I still smoke cigarettes occasionally. In this country people who live under sun beds will get skin cancer - fact. Just saying when the suns out go and enjoy it while you can!

Are you sure about that?

Maybe a day on a dermatology ward may change your mind. Many people who are told they are terminal through an attitude much the same as you.

Some can't be educated and some don't want to listen...."

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Are you sure about that?

"

Easily discovered by googling statistics disagree with your opinion.

• Melanoma is the most common cancer in young Australians aged 15–39 years old.

• In this age group, melanoma makes up 20% of all cancer cases and is responsible for 8% of all cancer deaths.

• In 20–34 year-olds, melanoma kills more young Australians than any other single cancer.

my jaw just dropped.. are you for real?

Are you sure about that?

"

My dad died of throat cancer. He was a non smoker, my best friend lost both her parents to cancer, ok yes they were smokers but the docs said their deaths were not smoking related. I know you will still stick by your beliefs and probably say docs were wrong re my bf's parents, but regardless, they were all horrible ways to die and they had no life towards the end. All three people died, leaving young grandchildren and me and my friend were in our 30s when our parents died. If any of what anyone here helps to change your mind even a little, our time will not have been wasted in giving our thoughts and advice to you. Feeling a bit now

what winds me up for some reason is those who lather there kids up in sun lotion yet somehow forget to apply it to themselves and whinge constantly afterwards when they are burnt ..

though at least its a positive thing they apply it to children

By *ILLY aka SirslagWoman  over a year ago

Land of the Prince Bishops

Or do you use sunbeds?"

never sunbathe never used sunbeds may use a bronzer on legs that's about it for me i don't mind the natural glow you get from just being outside in the summer doing the usual things ie shopping etc but never lay for hours in it my skin is way too pale . .... A very pale and interesting Gilly ...x

"what winds me up for some reason is those who lather there kids up in sun lotion yet somehow forget to apply it to themselves and whinge constantly afterwards when they are burnt ..

though at least its a positive thing they apply it to children"

I learnt my lesson from sitting outside in the sun...I've now suffering with sun burn and prickly heat...first thing i did Monday lunchtime was stock up on sun cream etc...I certainly don't want to cook my skin again

Well this thread got all serious.

I blame Femme because she started it.

I use fake if im pure white and if im out in the sun I use factor 30,ive not been on a sunbed for 14 yrs and then it burnt my arse!

I love heat but I look ridiculous with a tan so generally don't try very hard with sunning. Prefer myself milky.

"what winds me up for some reason is those who lather there kids up in sun lotion yet somehow forget to apply it to themselves and whinge constantly afterwards when they are burnt ..

though at least its a positive thing they apply it to children

I learnt my lesson from sitting outside in the sun...I've now suffering with sun burn and prickly heat...first thing i did Monday lunchtime was stock up on sun cream etc...I certainly don't want to cook my skin again "

ASDA had 2 for £6.50 which i thought was great.

i have some in my Kitchen (by the back door), one in my handbag, one sent to nursery, one in the car and one at my grandparents.. all bases covered that way.

oh and factor 50 too.. uv protection too

ayrshire

I put so much factor 100on my kids it reflected the Sun so much the Sun had a cancer scare.

I love the feel of the sun on my skin, been a lot of naked sunbathing posts lately, love it, like to be tanned but only because it means I can be in the sun longer and not burn. You got me thinking, do I like women to be tanned ? And to be honest, I don't really mind either way, a tan is sexy, but so is milky white skin. Having sex in the sun is horny though

I look much healthier/better with a tan.

I need my base back.

Daft innit, tanned women look good but the white bits are still the nicest.

"I love the feel of the sun on my skin, been a lot of naked sunbathing posts lately, love it, like to be tanned but only because it means I can be in the sun longer and not burn. You got me thinking, do I like women to be tanned ? And to be honest, I don't really mind either way, a tan is sexy, but so is milky white skin. Having sex in the sun is horny though "

I once had sex on a beach in India with a lovely twentysomething lady on a family holiday, it was night and we were out of the way.

Unfortunately I stopped to see her father watching us.....

"

Daft innit, tanned women look good but the white bits are still the nicest. "

so what about the girls with no white bits -

Well I resemble Casper when it comes to being pale. As a celt my skin only ever goes red

We do all need a little exposure to mr sun though he gives us lots of vitamin D which we need for healthy bones and kidneys x

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

I only ever burn so just keep out of the sun.

"I am sure genetics play a big part too as I have heard of people roasting in it and they have a tan and that's the end of it. Then I hear about people who don't spend much time in the sun and they get the illness. Sure being hydrated plays a part in this. "

I'm sorry but your post re make up and this post are really showing your ignorance. The majority of make up products are tested rigorously and actually contain spf these days. My foundation has spf 30, and no I don't look like a caked on barbie doll.

Being hydrated may play a part in someone getting a spot of heat stroke but I doubt it has very little effect anywhere else in terms of sun.

When I go abroad I do sit in the sun reading books, its how I relax. My skin does go brown. I always use factor 30 though, its the only one I buy.

When at home I don't sunbathe. Naturally my skin is quite pale.

Therefore I only have a tan whilst on holiday for a few weeks and it fades pretty quick when I'm back home. I occassionally use fake tan but only stick to Fake Bake or St Tropez as I can't stand that awful chemical smell that other brands seem to leave on me.

I don't mind being pale most of the time. My friend though is a tanorexic, she uses sunbeds, puts fake tan over the top of that and goes out in the sun when she can. She is the colour of creosote. Its important to her therefore unless something drastic happens she will continue.

Its the same for others, a tan does look nice, especially bare legged in summer. Skin cancer can be a killer but not necessarily to everyone who constantly tans and therefore, like everything, people are blase about things they do which can be a health risk, if they've had no experience of it.

As long as the information is out there when people will make an informed choice.

Are you sure about that?

this

Thing is...

We all know smoking has a good chance of giving you cancer. People still smoke.

"Thing is...

We all know smoking has a good chance of giving you cancer. People still smoke."

This is true libs, but... It's an awful lot harder for some people to stop smoking than it is to open a bottle of sun lotion. X

3 days of Sun, I've been out ever minute I can. Love a tan but don't use sunbeds.....yet.

I get irritated by some people's attitudes to those of us who are white and will never be anything else. I cannot count the number of people who tell me to use a fake tan as if being white is seen as unattractive.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I get irritated by some people's attitudes to those of us who are white and will never be anything else. I cannot count the number of people who tell me to use a fake tan as if being white is seen as unattractive. "

My first husband was Indian, he used to laugh at people who spent a fortune and hours building up a tan to get dark skin then treated him as a second class citizen because his skin was the very colour they admired

By *all-Eddies QosCouple  over a year ago

wirral

I burn, get prickly heat, get cranky.

pale and uninteresting

I wait till my neighbour is spraying his fence and I just stand down wind, mind you he did use green stain last year

I am so pale I glow in the dark.

As Billy Connolly said; "I'm actually blue. It takes me two weeks in the sun to go white".

I get burnt on a dark night in winter so I use a high factor sun cream and cover up. I do look brown but that's just rust

Low factors do not give protection against ageing or burning.

Im away to a hot country Monday.. Factor 30.. Never burned.

Once you get red burnt skin it is damaged.

Think Madge on Benidorm...

By *igSuki81Man  over a year ago

Retirement Village

"I get irritated by some people's attitudes to those of us who are white and will never be anything else. I cannot count the number of people who tell me to use a fake tan as if being white is seen as unattractive.

My first husband was Indian, he used to laugh at people who spent a fortune and hours building up a tan to get dark skin then treated him as a second class citizen because his skin was the very colour they admired "

Being white is just as attractive as being tanned be it natural or not. Though i must admit over doing the fake tan to me personally is not an attractive look

» Add a new message to this topic