FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Warfarin

Warfarin

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

As a few may know from previous posts,Mark and myself care for our elderly neighbours,thing is about 3 months the old lady was put onto Warfarin,Mark takes her to a weekly clinic to have her blood checked,and the first 2 weeks results were all over the place, but then settled down to 2.4 for the last 2 months , today it was 3.8 and the nurse asked if theres been any new meds or change to her diet.the old girl likes her whiskey on a night time and said she had had more than usual last night,she only tells me this and not the nurse,trying to tell her that she cant do this otherwise we'll be back and forth to this clinic all the time is not sinking in to her at all. even the nurse told her that she can have a tipple but it has to be the same amount every night that way she can make sure the warfarin she gives her can create the right blood level , then once settled just see her every 4 weeks intead of weekly,should I tell the nurse that she's drinking heavily

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Without question, yes.

"As a few may know from previous posts,Mark and myself care for our elderly neighbours,thing is about 3 months the old lady was put onto Warfarin,Mark takes her to a weekly clinic to have her blood checked,and the first 2 weeks results were all over the place, but then settled down to 2.4 for the last 2 months , today it was 3.8 and the nurse asked if theres been any new meds or change to her diet.the old girl likes her whiskey on a night time and said she had had more than usual last night,she only tells me this and not the nurse,trying to tell her that she cant do this otherwise we'll be back and forth to this clinic all the time is not sinking in to her at all. even the nurse told her that she can have a tipple but it has to be the same amount every night that way she can make sure the warfarin she gives her can create the right blood level , then once settled just see her every 4 weeks intead of weekly,should I tell the nurse that she's drinking heavily "

She needs to get herself in the 2 - 3 range. If she keeps getting confusing results following INR tests then they will never get the dosage level right. I think she needs to confess about her drinking....that said a glass a day shouldn't affect the reading.

By *r and mrs sanddancerCouple  over a year ago

BOLDON COLLIERY

definitely they need the whole story to be able to sort her out

I'd say yes, though you'd need to clarify whether that "drinking heavily" was a one off evening or a regular occurance. As you'll probably know the alcohol and the Warfarin both act to thin the blood which will be why her level was so high and if she is consistently drinking then the meds she has may need to be changed which the Dr's can only decide with knowledge.

that's what I want to do , but always scared i'll upset the old girl , ive spoke to her and told her she cant do what she's doing ,but all I get is at 85 hunny,all ive got is my cigs and whiskey",ive gotta go sometime"

Yes, you must tell them.

she has 2 glasses per night which she told the nurse at the beginning , the nurse stated that if she kept it to that,it would be ok and they'd get her levels right and they did , but she is having more than that just going off the empty's I put out for the bin men each week

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

"that's what I want to do , but always scared i'll upset the old girl , ive spoke to her and told her she cant do what she's doing ,but all I get is at 85 hunny,all ive got is my cigs and whiskey",ive gotta go sometime" "

You could tell her sometime might be sooner than she is expecting and to think of the boxsets she hasn't finished

Yes you need to make them aware

im thinking of phoning the nurse today as its the clinic tomorrow morning, if the nurse says ""Mrs Wilson you must be drinking more than your telling us with the results your producing, and that's very dangerous" she will come clean

"im thinking of phoning the nurse today as its the clinic tomorrow morning, if the nurse says ""Mrs Wilson you must be drinking more than your telling us with the results your producing, and that's very dangerous" she will come clean "

cheers for the advice everyone

"that's what I want to do , but always scared i'll upset the old girl , ive spoke to her and told her she cant do what she's doing ,but all I get is at 85 hunny,all ive got is my cigs and whiskey",ive gotta go sometime"

You could tell her sometime might be sooner than she is expecting and to think of the boxsets she hasn't finished "

If you don't tell them she will potentially die as a result of her drinking

Ive got an appointment today at 12 when the clinic is finished to see the nurse to discuss it further

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

I'm a health fanatic x my caring side wonders sometimes verbalised why young people with a full life to live , smoke drink and eat themselves into poor health for little mental benefit. At 85 if relatively sound of mind she has out lived most of her peers ,has statistically only got deteriorating health and physical mobility to come regardless of anything she may do , it becomes more likely she will become more reliant on the help of others . I'd suggest let her drink smoke and be happy

Daily as threads pop up about members on here being overweight not exercising or smoking we are lectured to butt out its an individual's choice .here I would suggest the psychological benefits the lady has from her vice out weigh any short term benefits cessation may give .

That said how exceptionally caring you are to show such concerns it's highly admirable xx

From what I understand, Wharfarin is one drug you don't mess around with.

spoke with the nurse today and shes going to have a word with our friend tomorrow

"spoke with the nurse today and shes going to have a word with our friend tomorrow "

Good luck tomorrow Ali

"spoke with the nurse today and shes going to have a word with our friend tomorrow

Good luck tomorrow Ali "

» Add a new message to this topic