FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Half Term rant

Half Term rant

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I can't believe its gonna be half term again soon already. I think its ridiculous as that means schools have only been open for 4 weeks.

What's also ridiculous is that half the schools in the UK close 1 week and the rest close on the next week which turns what's supposed to be a week half term into 2 weeks. I think all schools should close on the same week not like how it is now as the school system is now a complete joke.

When it comes to working in a public place like in a cinema like I do, it can be quite dreading when half term comes round or even the summer holidays (which I call the 6 weeks of Hell) which always make me wish these long weeks would go very quickly.

Luckily the weather can be an advantage like if its a very warm and sunny day, families would likely go to other places like Blackpool for the day which can make it less stressful at work.

With that rant over, does anyone else have similar thoughts about how half term and school holidays are done these days?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Do you have children?

To be honest school holidays don't bother me one bit... But with some children taking exams this week I expect half term will feel like a relief to them.

And isn't good that they are visiting your cinema in the holidays?

Surely them coming to watch films and eating popcorn ect keep you in a job.

ioften found time would fly by when busy.. days with no customers to serve must be boring

"Do you have children?

To be honest school holidays don't bother me one bit... But with some children taking exams this week I expect half term will feel like a relief to them.

And isn't good that they are visiting your cinema in the holidays?

Surely them coming to watch films and eating popcorn ect keep you in a job. "

I don't have children to be honest.

Yes the holidays can be busy at work which means more money for me but there are times when there can be less staff on to help clean up the messy screens which can be quite stressful.

i pity you mate, cant you find another job?

I love having my daughter home, but next week she has plans with her man and grandad for the week, she will stay there.

She likes going off at the holidays for a week here and there.

Her

"ioften found time would fly by when busy.. days with no customers to serve must be boring "

Yes time can fly by when busy especially on a morning shift.

It can be a bit boring when its a very quiet day but its much better than a busy, stressful one to be honest.

"i pity you mate, cant you find another job?"

I am trying my best looking for work in acting but it is hard to find a good agency to start off from.

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

If I worked in a cinema I'd provide 100's of half term specials and get as many kids in as possible to up the profit margin.

Did that not cross your mind when you took the job??

Really not sure why your ranting then OP? Is it because the kiddies make a little bit of a mess and that means that you have to work?

"i pity you mate, cant you find another job?

I am trying my best looking for work in acting but it is hard to find a good agency to start off from."

never mind the acting, if i was you i would find another job as soon as i could.

Half term is good for the kids. Without being rude - the half term holiday isn't about you. It's about the kids. They need to have a little break and enjoy themselves a bit. And of course they will go cinemas and so forth because that's what they like.

I love half term anf the school holidays. All my nieces and nephews are off - i can finally spend some time with them and take them out. Make some memories for years to come when they all grow up and you won't have chances like this.

...if you don't like what you're doing. Then change it. You're not a tree just stuck in one place. Go try something different.

"Did that not cross your mind when you took the job?? "

I've been working there for 8 and a half years and have tolerated half term and school holidays so far. I remember when half term holidays last for just 1 week and now they last for 2 weeks which like I said earlier is ridiculous.

By *hrissie1961Woman  over a year ago

dumfries and galloway

Children should be segregated until they are 18 and can behave!

I love that the half terms are split it means I get two weeks of better commute, means all my project staff don't want the same week off and to be fair this term always feels short due to Easter & all the public holidays.

Teachers work hard, even as a non Child having person I see they need regular breaks.

One of our kids is doing her A Level exams and the other is sitting 16 GCSE exams in a very short space of time at the moment.

They will be very grateful of this break.

We might need a longer break when they finish school and sixth form for good very shortly though!

By *igeiaWoman  over a year ago

Bristol

"I've been working there for 8 and a half years and have tolerated half term and school holidays so far. I remember when half term holidays last for just 1 week and now they last for 2 weeks which like I said earlier is ridiculous."

But they don't last for 2 weeks; they're staggered...

"Did that not cross your mind when you took the job??

I've been working there for 8 and a half years and have tolerated half term and school holidays so far. I remember when half term holidays last for just 1 week and now they last for 2 weeks which like I said earlier is ridiculous."

8 years thats a long time. yes it is a bit silly i dont know why they have to have school holidays at different times.

Perhaps we should lock our children in the understairs cupboard for the duration of the holidays just so as they don't annoy or offend anyone by being children?

"Really not sure why your ranting then OP? Is it because the kiddies make a little bit of a mess and that means that you have to work?

"

A little mess? After working there so long, there have been times where there is popcorn practically strewn everywhere in a busy screen. I'm not saying that I don't like kids but when it comes to popcorn, its like cleaning a monkeys pen in a zoo.

I also think that half term holidays should be restored to 1 week instead of 2.

"Children should be segregated until they are 18 and can behave!"

From adults ?

I've been working there for 8 and a half years and have tolerated half term and school holidays so far. I remember when half term holidays last for just 1 week and now they last for 2 weeks which like I said earlier is ridiculous.

8 years thats a long time. yes it is a bit silly i dont know why they have to have school holidays at different times."

That's the school system for you. Its a complete joke in my opinion.

Well I don't agree, it's not like every half term is 2 weeks off!!

And as already said as it's exam time I'm sure the kids appreciate a little down time to relax.

I've been working there for 8 and a half years and have tolerated half term and school holidays so far. I remember when half term holidays last for just 1 week and now they last for 2 weeks which like I said earlier is ridiculous."

yeah, utter ridiculous. ...half term.....This thread. ..take your pick

"Perhaps we should lock our children in the understairs cupboard for the duration of the holidays just so as they don't annoy or offend anyone by being children?"

this made me laugh!

"Really not sure why your ranting then OP? Is it because the kiddies make a little bit of a mess and that means that you have to work?

A little mess? After working there so long, there have been times where there is popcorn practically strewn everywhere in a busy screen. I'm not saying that I don't like kids but when it comes to popcorn, its like cleaning a monkeys pen in a zoo.

I also think that half term holidays should be restored to 1 week instead of 2."

thats disgusting, dont know how you stick it.

thats disgusting, dont know how you stick it. "

I do apologise for that euphemism but at least my job now is much better than the job I had at Mcdonalds 9 years ago.

I wish it was half term every week....! I love having my boy at home...!!

Will be sure to take extra trips to the cinema in future too..!!

By *ustcutieWoman  over a year ago

edinburgh

I'm gobsmacked , if the kids didn't go to your cinema chances are you'd be out of a job

[Removed by poster at 19/05/14 15:04:52]

thats disgusting, dont know how you stick it.

I do apologise for that euphemism but at least my job now is much better than the job I had at Mcdonalds 9 years ago."

yes i suppose it would be.

"I'm gobsmacked , if the kids didn't go to your cinema chances are you'd be out of a job "

I'm not say that they should go to my cinema at all. I just think its stupid how schools have scheduled holidays these days

"I'm gobsmacked , if the kids didn't go to your cinema chances are you'd be out of a job

I'm not say that they should go to my cinema at all. I just think its stupid how schools have scheduled holidays these days"

your not allowed to say that.

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"I'm gobsmacked , if the kids didn't go to your cinema chances are you'd be out of a job "

This is what I was alluding to earlier. Ps you're sexy

"

That's the school system for you. Its a complete joke in my opinion."

So the whole school system is a joke because you have to clear up popcorn, which you are paid for.

Bristol

Could you not just do a Stanislavski and method act your way through it as if you don't mind?

By *ustcutieWoman  over a year ago

edinburgh

"I'm gobsmacked , if the kids didn't go to your cinema chances are you'd be out of a job

This is what I was alluding to earlier. Ps you're sexy "

Great minds

"I've been working there for 8 and a half years and have tolerated half term and school holidays so far. I remember when half term holidays last for just 1 week and now they last for 2 weeks which like I said earlier is ridiculous.

But they don't last for 2 weeks; they're staggered..."

and surely 2 less busy weeks are better than one ridiculously busy week if all the schools were shut at the same time as the OP said he doesn't like overly busy shifts.

OP with all due respect in the current climate plenty of people would love to have a job to complain about

I'm not say that they should go to my cinema at all. I just think its stupid how schools have scheduled holidays these days

your not allowed to say that. "

Say what?

Say what?"

im joking.

"I've been working there for 8 and a half years and have tolerated half term and school holidays so far. I remember when half term holidays last for just 1 week and now they last for 2 weeks which like I said earlier is ridiculous.

But they don't last for 2 weeks; they're staggered...

and surely 2 less busy weeks are better than one ridiculously busy week if all the schools were shut at the same time as the OP said he doesn't like overly busy shifts.

OP with all due respect in the current climate plenty of people would love to have a job to complain about"

You do have a point there but there are some quiet times when its a really sunny day like I said earlier.

[Removed by poster at 19/05/14 15:15:51]

Say what?

im joking. "

Ah ok lol

lol typed above wrong.. I dont mind it means more spaces in the buses.

Next people are going to be complaining 'why do we have kids?'.

By *bony in IvoryCouple  over a year ago

Black&White Utopia

I like it! Roads in London lovely and clear!...cos they all in the cinema!

"I like it! Roads in London lovely and clear!...cos they all in the cinema! "

Or mostly at seaside resorts on sunny days.

By *dam_TinaCouple  over a year ago

Hampshire

"Could you not just do a Stanislavski and method act your way through it as if you don't mind?"

Children? Popcorn? In a CINEMA? Whatever next...

Hampshire

" less staff on to help clean up the messy screens which can be quite stressful."

Is that really stressful ?

By *issyyourbadWoman  over a year ago

Dorset

Well my son is sitting 24 gcses and then there is the extra revision at end of school so some days he has a 9 and half hour day so I expect he will need his half term

OP is the cinema in different education authorities as most schools in the same area have the same half term. Think you must be on a border between two different im ones for it to be having such an impact.

Schools still only have one week off at half term it's just that different authorities have different weeks. It makes it easier for working parents and businesses to plan.

Think you'll just have to suck it up, grin & bear it.

" less staff on to help clean up the messy screens which can be quite stressful.

Is that really stressful ? "

Yes it is as it leads to being behind on screens which also lead to customers going into screens that haven't been cleaned yet while still cleaning in another.

"Children? Popcorn? In a CINEMA? Whatever next..."

arent they meant to eat the popcorn?

think they should be taught some manners.

Hampshire

"Well my son is sitting 24 gcses "

24 gcse's ? Is he Einstein ?

"Well my son is sitting 24 gcses and then there is the extra revision at end of school so some days he has a 9 and half hour day so I expect he will need his half term "

24 GCSEs.......Cricky that's a lot, you must be very very proud to have such a clever lad. Hope he does really well in them all and he'll certainly need the break.

I'd like a rant about miserable workers in the cinema. Don't remember ever seeing a cheerful one. Wouldn't kill them to smile as they take the exorbitant amounts of money charged for tickets and refreshments. If we,as the consumers handing over huge amounts of money can smile,then why can't they?

"OP is the cinema in different education authorities as most schools in the same area have the same half term. Think you must be on a border between two different im ones for it to be having such an impact.

Schools still only have one week off at half term it's just that different authorities have different weeks. It makes it easier for working parents and businesses to plan.

Think you'll just have to suck it up, grin & bear it."

I do bear through it at the best of my ability. With it being the north west, the school times do differ I think.

"Well my son is sitting 24 gcses

24 gcse's ? Is he Einstein ?"

I had a friend who had a job and yes I

Know It Kept him In a Job But What I,m

Going To Say Is This Was Not For Half

Term Or Any Other Holidays But 7 Days

A week And My Point Is How Disrespectful

People Are When Discarding Of Their Rubbish My Friend Had Been Sweeping Out

The Town Buses After They Came Into The

Depot At Night Just After One Night Out

Of a Fleet Of Around 50 Buses He Told

Me How You Could Fill a Third oF a Wheelie Bin Up with Rubbish Everything From Drink Cans Or Cartons Many Stuffed

Down The Sides Of Seats Along with Chewing gum and Graffiti On The Backs

Of Seats Or Where Somebody Has Tried To Set Fire To It Which Is a True Insight

Into Some Of The Ways Society Acts Even

Now I,ll Use a Litter Bin Than Rather

Chuck It On The Floor Which I See So Many Do Even With Bins Nearbye...

I want the kids to pay again on the buses like few years ago, y should they get it for free whilst we who do pay and dont get any seats cos of them, i might sugest it to the goverment as a money making scheme lol.

"Well my son is sitting 24 gcses and then there is the extra revision at end of school so some days he has a 9 and half hour day so I expect he will need his half term "

Wow is he sitting every subject available? That's an awful lot of gcses .

"Well my son is sitting 24 gcses and then there is the extra revision at end of school so some days he has a 9 and half hour day so I expect he will need his half term .

24 GCSEs.......Cricky that's a lot, you must be very very proud to have such a clever lad. Hope he does really well in them all and he'll certainly need the break. "

When it comes to hard work, everyone deserves a break once in a while.

Least the roads will be clear

Every cloud

By *izzy RascallMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

Cinema is a fucking rip off.

Kids have too many holidays and insect days, plus the teachers want to strike.

I dont have any further thoughts on the matter at this current time.

By *extoysareusCouple  over a year ago

kinky heaven

So the whole world should revolve around you because of your job in a cinema???

Back up the chimneys with them, that's what I say.

Cardiff

"Block up the chimneys with them, that's what I say. "

"Well my son is sitting 24 gcses and then there is the extra revision at end of school so some days he has a 9 and half hour day so I expect he will need his half term .

24 GCSEs.......Cricky that's a lot, you must be very very proud to have such a clever lad. Hope he does really well in them all and he'll certainly need the break.

When it comes to hard work, everyone deserves a break once in a while."

As long as it's only 1 week as apposed to 2 weeks

"I can't believe its gonna be half term again soon already. I think its ridiculous as that means schools have only been open for 4 weeks.

What's also ridiculous is that half the schools in the UK close 1 week and the rest close on the next week which turns what's supposed to be a week half term into 2 weeks. I think all schools should close on the same week not like how it is now as the school system is now a complete joke.

When it comes to working in a public place like in a cinema like I do, it can be quite dreading when half term comes round or even the summer holidays (which I call the 6 weeks of Hell) which always make me wish these long weeks would go very quickly.

Luckily the weather can be an advantage like if its a very warm and sunny day, families would likely go to other places like Blackpool for the day which can make it less stressful at work.

With that rant over, does anyone else have similar thoughts about how half term and school holidays are done these days?"

Does it really matter which week they have? Well does it?

"So the whole world should revolve around you because of your job in a cinema???"

I'm not saying that at all.

When it comes to hard work, everyone deserves a break once in a while.

As long as it's only 1 week as apposed to 2 weeks "

One week is too long. They should just have the weekend. Well, maybe the Saturday and not the Sunday.

"I like it! Roads in London lovely and clear!...cos they all in the cinema!

Or mostly at seaside resorts on sunny days."

Seaside resorts?? Don't you send them to my seaside resort. Pesky kids taking up space on our beach eating all our ice cream and building sandcastles. Heaven forbid they should enjoy the sun, sea and sand during their half term

I hope it rains every day so they're all crowded in your cinema eating popcorn

I think most parents will notice as it gets closer to a school holiday , their children appear tired. my son comes home, does 2 hours of homework , just about manages to stay awake to eat and then falls asleep...so to label a school holiday as ridiculous is just ridiculous, I'd say they were more a necessity .

Seaside resorts?? Don't you send them to my seaside resort. Pesky kids taking up space on our beach eating all our ice cream and building sandcastles. Heaven forbid they should enjoy the sun, sea and sand during their half term

I hope it rains every day so they're all crowded in your cinema eating popcorn "

So the weather war begins lol

"Well my son is sitting 24 gcses and then there is the extra revision at end of school so some days he has a 9 and half hour day so I expect he will need his half term

I think most parents will notice as it gets closer to a school holiday , their children appear tired. my son comes home, does 2 hours of homework , just about manages to stay awake to eat and then falls asleep...so to label a school holiday as ridiculous is just ridiculous, I'd say they were more a necessity ."

You do have a fair point there. I think something that I will have to understand when I have children one day.

"Children should be segregated until they are 18 and can behave!"

That's a bit harsh!

Half term is still only one week , not two. It's always been staggered- I live on the border of a county & the neighbouring two have another week unti they break up. It's been like that for years.

Let's hope the sun shines so the kids don't fancy the cinema! It's a complete rip off anyway.

Seriously? Just how hard is it to work in a cinema?

By *ordweaver2018Man  over a year ago

Carlisle

"I can't believe its gonna be half term again soon already. I think its ridiculous as that means schools have only been open for 4 weeks.

With that rant over, does anyone else have similar thoughts about how half term and school holidays are done these days?"

Ha ha... I am off for the week!

"Seriously? Just how hard is it to work in a cinema? "

One word. Popcorn.

Nightmare.

"Seriously? Just how hard is it to work in a cinema?

One word. Popcorn.

Nightmare.

"

One word....hoover

Cardiff

One word. Popcorn.

Nightmare.

"

Now Im confused.

Which one word do we concentrate on?

"Seriously? Just how hard is it to work in a cinema? "

It is Bolton, they like their popcorn in wheelie bins that way.

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

Justin Moorhouse does a good routine about being a teacher, with long holidays, regular breaks during the day and so on, all tongue in cheek.

At least there will be no school run to get in the way during the morning

Bright side to everything.

I hope it rains every day so they're all crowded in your cinema eating popcorn "

You could do crab fishing lessons if it's raining

With that rant over, does anyone else have similar thoughts about how half term and school holidays are done these days?

Ha ha... I am off for the week!"

Hehe me too! Oh how it is to work in education...

I fancy some popcorn now!

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

to be fair to the OP, there have been a few half term rants fro parents wanting their kids back to school, having them off was impacting on their meets/shags...

"When it comes to working in a public place like in a cinema like I do, it can be quite dreading when half term comes round or even the summer holidays (which I call the 6 weeks of Hell)"

So what you are saying is you don't like paying customers turning up to your cinema?

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

from*

Carlisle

Oh yes the only reason schools exist is sometimes can get there anyway. You can tell how valued those children are!

Wow....much ado about nothing in here I see?

Err.. you could look at your job as being much less stressfull during term time? There's more term time than holidays so your glass is over half full in my opinion. And relax and stop blaming the schools system because you get busy....blame your employer for not providing more cover at peak times...surely easier to do than re hash the school system to save some spilled popcorn no? Chill man, really

One word. Popcorn.

Nightmare.

"

Sounds like the voice of experience that....

You been through your own sweet n salted popping summer hell just like this young man pops?

By *bony in IvoryCouple  over a year ago

Black&White Utopia

"Back up the chimneys with them, that's what I say. "
hahaha that propa made me LoL!

" to be fair to the OP, there have been a few half term rants fro parents wanting their kids back to school, having them off was impacting on their meets/shags..."
I bet for those parents, its a bit of a cockblock at half term.

Wow I don't know how parents manage without meets for a week,they must have to take bromide to combat the cravings of going without

" to be fair to the OP, there have been a few half term rants fro parents wanting their kids back to school, having them off was impacting on their meets/shags... I bet for those parents, its a bit of a cockblock at half term."

I bet the OP did not complain about the school holidays when he was a pupil

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

I also think that half term holidays should be restored to 1 week instead of 2."

Half term holidays are 1 week, not 2 in normal state schools.

End of terms are 2 weeks with end of academic year being between 5 & 6 weeks.

[Removed by poster at 19/05/14 17:25:41]

" to be fair to the OP, there have been a few half term rants fro parents wanting their kids back to school, having them off was impacting on their meets/shags... I bet for those parents, its a bit of a cockblock at half term.

I bet the OP did not complain about the school holidays when he was a pupil "

I'm sure no one else did either when they were kids too.

Do you mean 24 different papers eg, Paper 1 on one day and Paper 2 on another in Literature?

Popcorn? Did someone mention popcorn?!

You don't realise how precious school holidays are until your kids are all grown up

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

I'm not a people person or like young kids hence I chose a job with limited contact with Joe Public and staff to field my calls. Guess what? It's not in a nursery either: go figure!

Don't see your point, and stressful working in a cinema?!! If you say so!

Blimey your a misery.think I will ask my residence not to have fits or heart attacks so I dont have to work harder certain shifts

in a job u have busier times we all have to deal with. We are paid to work not sit gossiping

half terms are mums holidays. No school runs.nice lay in and important family tine.we take our kids to the cinema because we secretly want to watch the film its us throwing the popcorn really

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

"Did that not cross your mind when you took the job?? "

You'd think so wouldn't you!

I like half term, especially when the cinemas are teeming with kids. Its so much easier to find one to bury under my patio. Happy days.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Can you tell us why staggering half term holiday is ridiculous?

Carlisle

I enjoyed working in the cinema durin half term...

30 minutes into the film I got to kick and noisy irritating kids out and they didn't get their money back...

They were quieter next time

"Well my son is sitting 24 gcses and then there is the extra revision at end of school so some days he has a 9 and half hour day so I expect he will need his half term

Do you mean 24 different papers eg, Paper 1 on one day and Paper 2 on another in Literature? "

That's what I figured too...

Can you tell us why staggering half term holiday is ridiculous?"

In order to combat the issue of expensive flight prices...it's being discussed by the Secretary of State and others, that the variance in holiday time from region to region be made even greater ...such as it is in France.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

In order to combat the issue of expensive flight prices...it's being discussed by the Secretary of State and others, that the variance in holiday time from region to region be made even greater ...such as it is in France.

"

that's why it's ridiculous?

Can you tell us why staggering half term holiday is ridiculous?"

It gets ridiculous when we're low on staff and there are messy screens.

By *teveanddebsCouple  over a year ago

Norwich

Bloody customers interrupting my day!

Oh wait!

No customers = no job = no money.

Bollocks

I blame the bloody conservatives

Gimp

I live in Essex and they have changed our Easter Holidays I feel for the better. All the children will have Easter off as a bank holiday, and if it falls within the two weeks holiday then fine, if not they will have the two weeks at the same time every year. It means then that people with child care know what they are doing in stead of it moving around all the time.

When I was younger the may day bank holiday was celebrated with school fetes and Maypole dancing and a May Queen, but sadly this dosn't seem to happen anymore and really should be knocked on the head.

Then we would only have the old witsum holiday as half term.

As for you moaning about it being hard work in the six weeks holiday at the very least you are getting paid for it where as some of us have to find the money to entertain our children .... Sorry that's my school holiday rant over ... Ruby

Should we all chip-in and buy him a pressure-washer to hose his screens down, or a shovel so he can try and dig his way out of this one...lol.

By *ittenandthepirateCouple  over a year ago

Manchester

Do you mean 24 different papers eg, Paper 1 on one day and Paper 2 on another in Literature?

That's what I figured too... "

Yeah, I remember having 4 different papers in English, maths and science, and two each in most other subjects.

"Should we all chip-in and buy him a pressure-washer to hose his screens down, or a shovel so he can try and dig his way out of this one...lol."

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

OP, it can't be that long since you had the benefit of half term as a child/young person.

When they are held at the same time for all schools people complain that everything is too expensive, especially going away. If they are staggered those with children in different schools have problems.

They have come around quickly this time because it was a late Easter. I think you get seven weeks of not having to do as much work before they get let loose for the summer holidays.

I'd be glad of full screens and knowing the busy period and stress is short term. Some people work with busy and stress every day.

"OP, it can't be that long since you had the benefit of half term as a child/young person.

When they are held at the same time for all schools people complain that everything is too expensive, especially going away. If they are staggered those with children in different schools have problems.

They have come around quickly this time because it was a late Easter. I think you get seven weeks of not having to do as much work before they get let loose for the summer holidays.

I'd be glad of full screens and knowing the busy period and stress is short term. Some people work with busy and stress every day.

"

I think the last time I benefited from a half term was back at college 10 years ago. You're right that the busy periods are only temporary. I had my fair share of everyday stress when I was at Mcdonalds before working at where I am now.

The only reason why it seems early is because we had a late easter x After half term my daughter has 8 weeks at school before summer hols x

By *effrey45Man  over a year ago

Lytham

Good miserable rant from the OP. Tbh it would be nice to have Easter fixed- yes I know it's all to do with moon phases but if Jesus was born on a certain day I'm convinced he was crucified on one particular day- only about 2% of the population could tell you what dates Easter is next year

Roll on school holidays , a week of no routine, no packed lunches no trying to get one out of the door for the school bus at 7.45 and me to work by 8am. I love school hols!!

I'm dreading the summer hols, I'm working it all and have no idea what I'm gonna do with the kids while I'm at work

I can see where the OP is coming from on this with regard to the number of holidays that have occurred so close together recently.. and not forgetting all the bank holidays too and obviously there is the half term coming up, although in Wales it is only a week long whereas I believe in England it's 2 weeks

and then its only 7 weeks until summer break

but I don't see how moving the holidays around would make it any less stressful for the OP as it sounds like he hates his job anyway, so however many or few kids there are or how hot and sunny it is or isn't my guess is he will always have something to moan about...if you don't like kids go and get an office job..simples

I can see where the OP is coming from on this with regard to the number of holidays that have occurred so close together recently.. and not forgetting all the bank holidays too and obviously there is the half term coming up, although in Wales it is only a week long whereas I believe in England it's 2 weeks

and then its only 7 weeks until summer break

but I don't see how moving the holidays around would make it any less stressful for the OP as it sounds like he hates his job anyway, so however many or few kids there are or how hot and sunny it is or isn't my guess is he will always have something to moan about...if you don't like kids go and get an office job..simples "

I'm not saying that I hate my job or kids. Its just I don't like how the holidays have been occurring so close together that's all

School hols have not changed since I was at school if not longer only difference is now we are older time goes quicker and when we were younger could not wait for the school bell to go off x

It's the cinema's fault if you're understaffed, not the children.

I used to work in a cinema and hated it due to the rudeness of customers and the poor management. I got another job and didn't look back.

My current job relies on it being busy in school hols and the summer. The kids are usually well behaved.

If you don't like your situation then change it.

OP....try working 6-8 weeks straight at 70 + a week hrs ( in a school of course) and tell me you don't need the week off! Oh hang on a min....it's not really a week because there's marking and lesson plans to be done...silly me..

By *mall_worldMan  over a year ago

North West UK

Local authorities set the schools holidays and sometimes different authorities will have different leave dates. It's a good thing it means the road are quieter for longer and holidays and trips aren't such a ridiculous price hike for half term.

I can't understand people having a whine about their kids being home.

Before you know it they are 18 buggered off with their own lives and your wishing the time back.

Her

This is a silly term - being just 4 weeks. And it is irritating that different schools and authorities vary holiday dates, especially if you have children at schools in different authorities.

It's not going to get better though - schools being able to set their own holiday dates will make it even more of a confuddle.

I don't have any sympathy for employees moaning about extra customers though.

Without reading the whole thread..

I live in one town and work in a neighbouring town which seem to have different school holidays.

I dont have kids and would avoid certain places / activities if I knew it was school hols as they are undoubtedly busier. But I do find it quite difficult keeping up with when school hols are.

So yea I think in some ways it would be easier if all local schools had the same weeks as holidays..but then that might cause problems for diferent industries with parents all wanting the same time off work for childcare needs etc.

Someone somewhere decided having the holidays at different times for diferent schools decided that was the best way.

Unlucky for some..better for others..such is life

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

8 years thats a long time. yes it is a bit silly i dont know why they have to have school holidays at different times.

That's the school system for you. Its a complete joke in my opinion."

As opposed to the cinema system which is pretty fucking perfect in every way but DO tell me all about the school system ? It would be great to know what you know.

King's Crustacean

I'm not say that they should go to my cinema at all. I just think its stupid how schools have scheduled holidays these days"

Just how DO school schedule the holidays 'these days?'

King's Crustacean

"Well my son is sitting 24 gcses

24 gcse's ? Is he Einstein ?"

No. He hasn't got a G.C.S.E

King's Crustacean

"I had a friend who had a job and yes I

Know It Kept him In a Job But What I,m

Going To Say Is This Was Not For Half

Term Or Any Other Holidays But 7 Days

A week And My Point Is How Disrespectful

People Are When Discarding Of Their Rubbish My Friend Had Been Sweeping Out

The Town Buses After They Came Into The

Depot At Night Just After One Night Out

Of a Fleet Of Around 50 Buses He Told

Me How You Could Fill a Third oF a Wheelie Bin Up with Rubbish Everything From Drink Cans Or Cartons Many Stuffed

Down The Sides Of Seats Along with Chewing gum and Graffiti On The Backs

Of Seats Or Where Somebody Has Tried To Set Fire To It Which Is a True Insight

Into Some Of The Ways Society Acts Even

Now I,ll Use a Litter Bin Than Rather

Chuck It On The Floor Which I See So Many Do Even With Bins Nearbye... "

That was lovely x I like it best when poems rhyme tho xxx

What a misery you are. Get a job in an old people's home if you don't like kids

King's Crustacean

"What a misery you are. Get a job in an old people's home if you don't like kids"

Okay but I don't much like them either.

We were watching a good program last night called Watermen, A dirty business, that looks like a good job and they always look cheerful too.

They say they get used to the smell.

Some people can't have kids.

Just saying

Her

King's Crustacean

"We were watching a good program last night called Watermen, A dirty business, that looks like a good job and they always look cheerful too.

They say they get used to the smell."

I have taken to the 'water people' I want to work there. They seem a great bunch.As happy as pigs in shit ......

King's Crustacean

"Some people can't have kids.

Just saying

Her"

xXx

"

That's the school system for you. Its a complete joke in my opinion.

So the whole school system is a joke because you have to clear up popcorn, which you are paid for. "

Just about sums this all up.

Is it half term yet?

Bristol

"Is it half term yet?

"

Not here

Just saying

Her"

you say that like its a bad thing.

"Is it half term yet?

Not here

"

Is it bank holiday yet?

By *he devil wears pradaWoman  over a year ago

gosport ish

It gets ridiculous when we're low on staff and there are messy screens."

never mind eh you have a job be grateful of those pesky kids who keep you in a job. Pretty sure there are plenty of people who would appreciate a job but are unable to get one. Failing that leave! I can't wait for half term it's quiet at school then. I can get on top of marking, preparing and scheduling exams, attending meetings, going in training courses, and lesson planning. Not to mention preparing for three open days, careers fair, meeting the new learners for September and my one whole day off! I do it because I actually enjoy my vocation and job. Enjoy your days work

Just saying

Her

you say that like its a bad thing. "

lol it must be to some

Just saying

Her

you say that like its a bad thing. "

I see you were trying to be humorous but that's a bit insensitive

"What a misery you are. Get a job in an old people's home if you don't like kids

Okay but I don't much like them either."

I do!

Just saying

Her"

And some people don't want them, have never had them, but still have to put up with them and their lazy-arsed parents ignoring them when they misbehave. Children are the future my arse, they're not my future, except to do the work I pay them for - this is the present, and it belongs to ME!

Just saying

Her

And some people don't want them, have never had them, but still have to put up with them and their lazy-arsed parents ignoring them when they misbehave. Children are the future my arse, they're not my future, except to do the work I pay them for - this is the present, and it belongs to ME!"

You may change your _iews when one of those children is busy wiping your arse in your old age.

Just saying

Her

And some people don't want them, have never had them, but still have to put up with them and their lazy-arsed parents ignoring them when they misbehave. Children are the future my arse, they're not my future, except to do the work I pay them for - this is the present, and it belongs to ME!"

Just saying

Her

whooo, that's a bit of a rant! I merely meant some can't have them, its as simple as that.

Her

Just saying

Her

And some people don't want them, have never had them, but still have to put up with them and their lazy-arsed parents ignoring them when they misbehave. Children are the future my arse, they're not my future, except to do the work I pay them for - this is the present, and it belongs to ME!

You may change your _iews when one of those children is busy wiping your arse in your old age."

If they wipe my arse, it will be because I'm paying them to do it - either directly for high-cost nursing-home care, or indirectly through taxes and NHS treatment. Besides, some enterprising adult will have invented an auto-arse washer by then

Just saying

Her

And some people don't want them, have never had them, but still have to put up with them and their lazy-arsed parents ignoring them when they misbehave. Children are the future my arse, they're not my future, except to do the work I pay them for - this is the present, and it belongs to ME! whooo, that's a bit of a rant! I merely meant some can't have them, its as simple as that.

Her"

People who can't physically have their own children can always adopt. Those who don't want them still have to pay for them.

Oooh lets go back to the days of children be seen and not heard x

Just saying

Her

You may change your _iews when one of those children is busy wiping your arse in your old age.

If they wipe my arse, it will be because I'm paying them to do it - either directly for high-cost nursing-home care, or indirectly through taxes and NHS treatment. Besides, some enterprising adult will have invented an auto-arse washer by then "

Just saying

Her

And some people don't want them, have never had them, but still have to put up with them and their lazy-arsed parents ignoring them when they misbehave. Children are the future my arse, they're not my future, except to do the work I pay them for - this is the present, and it belongs to ME! whooo, that's a bit of a rant! I merely meant some can't have them, its as simple as that.

Her

People who can't physically have their own children can always adopt. Those who don't want them still have to pay for them."

Just like some childless couple payed for you when you were a child.

Just saying

Her

Her

People who can't physically have their own children can always adopt. Those who don't want them still have to pay for them."

yes I agree on that, I was just thinking of the people with wishful thinking

Her

Bahhhhh humbug!!! I'm guessing you work in one of our local cinemas? OP... I'm gunna hunt you down and throw rotten eggs at you lol....

I love my lil guy being off school... Having grown up kiddies... And being fortunate enough to have a five yr old too... Makes you realise how quickly they grow! And how you need to relish the younger years... School hols, in the sun priceless!

King's Crustacean

Christ almighty ..... I pay you pay we pay they pay ....

We ALL pay for the community we live in.

If we pay for our individual bits i'll come n put chalk crosses on the paving slabs you can walk on ...stay off my slabs mind......

"Christ almighty ..... I pay you pay we pay they pay ....

If we pay for our individual bits i'll come n put chalk crosses on the paving slabs you can walk on ...stay off my slabs mind......"

No

If we pay for our individual bits i'll come n put chalk crosses on the paving slabs you can walk on ...stay off my slabs mind......"

King's Crustacean

If we pay for our individual bits i'll come n put chalk crosses on the paving slabs you can walk on ...stay off my slabs mind......

No "

Fine! im putting barbed wire fences round all my slabs

Just saying

Her

Her

People who can't physically have their own children can always adopt. Those who don't want them still have to pay for them.

Just like some childless couple payed for you when you were a child. "

Quite possibly, but not to the ridiculous extent children, and children's causes, have money thrown at them these days. Even though my parents were quite well-off, I didn't insist on, and wouldn't have got, the latest designer label clothing, or the latest video games or smart-phones, and "conditions" like ADHD didn't exist to provide poorly trained "therapists" with a good income for doing sod-all!

No

Fine! im putting barbed wire fences round all my slabs "

I'm feeling brave today granny sod your barbed wire! I'm even dancing all over the cracks around the slabs... Now THAT is brave

Just want to put this rant thread to rest by apologising for causing such a big fuss due to my rant about the holidays. I must also apologising for causing any cause offence to those here who have children with this rant.

It was wrong to complain about something that is out of my control. I do like the job I'm in (most of the time lol) and no I don't hate kids at all.

From reading many of your replies on this, it has given me insight on why school holidays are important. I agree that it is important for kids to be kids by giving them the time off they need and also agree that having schools closed on different weeks makes it a lot easier for families and businesses. This is something that I will have to keep in mind in future.

From now, I will remember to think before I say anything so lets put this all behind us and move on shall we.

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

not sure why you are apologising but if you feel the need, so be it.

there are many very well behaved children & they will be a delight. Alongside them, there will be some of the worst behaved spoiling the fun of many attending the cinema.

That will be down to shocking parenting.

"not sure why you are apologising but if you feel the need, so be it.

there are many very well behaved children & they will be a delight. Alongside them, there will be some of the worst behaved spoiling the fun of many attending the cinema.

"

Yeah, you're right there. There are definitely well behaved kids that came to the cinema over the years but I have seen some worst behaved ones too sometimes damaging some of the advertising displays.

"not sure why you are apologising but if you feel the need, so be it.

"

Well said.

We dont go cinema as it is too expensive x