FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Cyclists, should they have to have Insurance ?

Cyclists, should they have to have Insurance ?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

A Lady from my Street was knocked over by a Cyclist earlier, she has broken her Ankle and the Police have told her they will look into it, the Cyclist apparently was a 35 Year old Man on his way Home from Work and decided to jump onto the Pavement and lost control and hit her, should they have to be Insured ? what do you think ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yep always thought that and i used ta cycle a lot in the past xx

"A Lady from my Street was knocked over by a Cyclist earlier, she has broken her Ankle and the Police have told her they will look into it, the Cyclist apparently was a 35 Year old Man on his way Home from Work and decided to jump onto the Pavement and lost control and hit her, should they have to be Insured ? what do you think ?"

Yes if he doesn't want to be taken to the claims court for compensation.

i am in two minds about this,but the cyclist should not have been on pavement.

By *ebzStarWoman  over a year ago

Notting

Hmmmm.

Think they should actually.

Quite often i see them jumping the red lights, going up and down off of pavements etc.

BUT - where do you draw the line??

Kids can use bycicles - and sometimes i think they are safer on the pavements than on the roads when drivers dont see them.

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Wheres Mally????

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

its an odd one cos if i accidentally knock someone over and they injure thmselves i am not insured and so they are in the same situation as your friend, does this mean that all pedestrians need to be insured to

i do think that some cyclists need to think about the way they conduct themselves on the roads as some think that they have right of way regardless but then when they come off worse for it it is the drivers etc that are in the wrong

Yes they should, so when they kick your bumper and set your airbag off, at least they'll be covered....

in blood if they did it to my car

"Hmmmm.

Think they should actually.

Quite often i see them jumping the red lights, going up and down off of pavements etc.

BUT - where do you draw the line??

Kids can use bycicles - and sometimes i think they are safer on the pavements than on the roads when drivers dont see them.

"

kids should be allowed on pavements,adults not.i am a biker myself and never use pavement and always aware of my surroundings.

By *umourCouple  over a year ago

Rushden

Not sure how it could be done, but YES! Had a guy pull out from the side of the road and into the front of my car. Lucky I was doing low speed cos I saw him. Damage to my car was £150 which I had to pay.

Perhaps anyone over 14 should have to be insured and as we have seen on here in the past, some of them should have compulsory anger management classes!

they do use roads like the rest of us drivers.so should pay tax,i am sure the new goverment will spend the extra tax on the roads!

By *he BananamanMan  over a year ago

WORCESTERSHIRE

in belgium all cyclists have a tax disc on the bikes and get much better consideration on roads so it shoukd be used here i reckon to get a better deal on the roads!.

all racing licence holding cyclists and members of british cycling in this country are covered by insurance and it came in usefull for me out riding one sunday when a boy racer shot out from a side road and hit me!,sent me about 12 foot up in the air!,british cycling solicitors fought the case for me and got compensation,i advise all cyclits to take adequate precautions against moronic motorists by being insured.

I think some Home Insurance Policies cover you in such circumstances.

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

They should make all cyclists take out compulsory insurance at the age of 16 if they are using public roads, I feel the same about horses being ridden on the highway.

By *ushroom7Man  over a year ago

Bradford

and can we throw in old folks on the mini mobile thingies, they're demons

i was thinkin about that the other nite there when kiddo nearly went into a parked car when some stray child ran out of garden and she swerved to avoid them! obviously if she hit the car i would have went and seen how much the damage was and either paid it or got it repaired for them!

iv seen many a cyclist bang into a car and mark it and cycle away if a motorist did it they would have to pay!!

agree with the horses bit and not goin over the horse shit arguement again lol xx

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

Nnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooo!

Don't mention the feckin horse shit!!!

"Nnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooo!

Don't mention the feckin horse shit!!!"

shall we?? shant we?? only one way to decide..................FIGHT!!!!

ok put the voodoo doll and pins down thanks!!! xx

Users of shopping trolleys in ASDA should also be fecking insured.

Parked in ASDA the other week and a silly cow let her trolley roll into the side of my car and when I got out to see if she'd done any damage (she hadn't) she denied doing it !

I was sitting in the car watching her FFS ! The 'thump' kind of gave the game away a litle bit

"they do use roads like the rest of us drivers.so should pay tax,i am sure the new goverment will spend the extra tax on the roads!"

A lot of cars are exempt from tax though, especially ones with low emissions, which is zilch on a cycle.

On a serious note, a lot of cyclists already have cycle insurance.

By *etitesaraTV/TS  over a year ago

rochdale

"they do use roads like the rest of us drivers.so should pay tax,i am sure the new goverment will spend the extra tax on the roads!"

This old fallacy again?

Yes without doubt,third party insurance should be compulsory.

XXXX

By *ig badMan  over a year ago

Up North :-)

"Yes without doubt,third party insurance should be compulsory.

XXXX"

Well its the responsible thing to do getting insured. I wonder how many actually do?

"Yes without doubt,third party insurance should be compulsory.

XXXX

Well its the responsible thing to do getting insured. I wonder how many actually do?"

Perhaps a hologram type of disc,like a tax disk,as proof of insurance would be the way to go? R

By *ickmealloverWoman  over a year ago

a very plush appartment off junt 7 M5

yes

i used to have insurance for my bike even tho it was NEVER used on a road as it would have been illegal, i agree that there should be insurance for them but how do you make sure that everyone who uses the roads has insurance

By *ouvakMan  over a year ago

clacton on sea

I believe that in Holland all bicycles have to carry insurance against third party damage, I'm sure that such an insurance wouldn't be very costly, and at least if a cyclist cause's damage to a car or a pedestrian at least they will have some recourse, if you look at Dutch cycles they carry a round disc displayed on the rear of the cycle. I'm sure that it could be implemented here quiet easily and at a low cost

"They should make all cyclists take out compulsory insurance at the age of 16 if they are using public roads, I feel the same about horses being ridden on the highway.

"

and all boat owners should have insurance for them to pay for the air sea rescue or lifeboat to help them!

"They should make all cyclists take out compulsory insurance at the age of 16 if they are using public roads, I feel the same about horses being ridden on the highway.

and all boat owners should have insurance for them to pay for the air sea rescue or lifeboat to help them!"

That's quite a valid point actually. It might make these weekend sailors who go out in their woooly pullys, plimsols and caps with the bloody anchor on the front, think twice about their capabilities on the high seas ...

Every week in the summer up here, our local ILB and AWB is launched and 9 times out of 10 it is for some plonker who hasn't got the faintest idea of what the hell they are doing when they go out to sea

something like 10% of car s are driven without so it would be even higher for cyclists not getting it and would be hard to enforce. Put a 50% Vat rate on bikes and use that for a compensation fund.

50% tax!!! the wheels alone for my bike cost me nearly £400!!!

"50% tax!!! the wheels alone for my bike cost me nearly £400!!!"

Well thats 200 notes for your insurance. Maybe if you have independent insurance then the vat can be claimed back.

WORCESTERSHIRE

Don't mention the feckin horse shit!!!"

whilst marshaling road cycling races you often get to see the impatient twerps of motorists who do not see why they should have to sit behind a bunch of racing cyclists doing only 30 mph!, they get out of the cars moan and groan at the marshalls as soon as the race turn off the main road,but i bet they sit quite contendedly behind a feckin horse for mile after mile and the horse does not pay road tax!.

Don't mention the feckin horse shit!!!

whilst marshaling road cycling races you often get to see the impatient twerps of motorists who do not see why they should have to sit behind a bunch of racing cyclists doing only 30 mph!, they get out of the cars moan and groan at the marshalls as soon as the race turn off the main road,but i bet they sit quite contendedly behind a feckin horse for mile after mile and the horse does not pay road tax!. "

Take it your a tree hugger and don't drive then.

By *etitesaraTV/TS  over a year ago

rochdale

"something like 10% of car s are driven without so it would be even higher for cyclists not getting it and would be hard to enforce. Put a 50% Vat rate on bikes and use that for a compensation fund."

Not exactly in keeping with the stated aim of encouraging more cycle use though is it?

Many Nations used to have cycle registration schemes, most of which have been ditched because they always cost far more to implement than they raised in revenue. Even Switzerland is currently debating whether to abolish the 'velo vignette' for similar reasons.

http://ipayroadtax.com/?p=85

Is a page on a website dedicated to tackling the myths and prejudice about cycling and the use of roads.

I doubt however, that many of you will bother to actually read the article. It is easier to believe in the untruths that support your prepositions than it is to actually uncover the facts.

no. they just shouldnt be on the road full stop!

*Runs and hides behind the couch before the carnage erupts*

WORCESTERSHIRE

[Removed by poster at 22/05/10 19:22:57]

"Wheres Mally???? "

here, I pay extra life insurance that covers me for cycling on the road, this cover also includes damages to a 3rd party depending on the circumstances of course. It's quite a cheap add on to my normal life insurance

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

I live out in the sticks in an area that is very popular with supporters of the Nazi Trust who have a large house nearby, so at weekends, the already narrow tristy roads are already quite busy with grockles rubber necking at all of the buildings and other country paraininalia. Bearing this in mind, the LAST thing you want is prats on bikes riding three of four abreast around blind corners and only interested in beating each other on roads open to normal traffic. Even the most efficient marshalling in the world can`t stop the red mist when there`s someone in front of you that you could possibly beat and to hell with the consequences ... which is usually meeting me head on on one of the afore mentioned blind bends.

I just totally misread the title of this thread and thought we were seriously discussing whether there should be cystitis insurance

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

"I live out in the sticks in an area that is very popular with supporters of the Nazi Trust who have a large house nearby, so at weekends, the already narrow tristy roads are already quite busy with grockles rubber necking at all of the buildings and other country paraininalia. Bearing this in mind, the LAST thing you want is prats on bikes riding three of four abreast around blind corners and only interested in beating each other on roads open to normal traffic. Even the most efficient marshalling in the world can`t stop the red mist when there`s someone in front of you that you could possibly beat and to hell with the consequences ... which is usually meeting me head on on one of the afore mentioned blind bends."

Apologies!

This was supposed to have been posted with a quote to post above commenting on cycle race marshalling.

Sorry for any confusion.

Its a difficult one, if they bough in insurance then they would have to change some other rules too, ie if your insured should you have to stay on the road, should 5 year old kids have to be insured, if yes should they have to ride on the road?

I can understand why people would want to make them have insurance if their car is damaged and they would be out of pocket to get it fix but to want someone insured just so you can make a clam for personal injuries is just promoting greed, i hate people who just put in claims for anything and everything and them companys that promote it, the countries just turning into a nation of greed

ive tripped over at work...oh put a claim in

i slipped on the wet patch.....put a claim in

a bike hit me....put a claim in lol

theres just no need for it

and another thought

if you make cyclists get insurance would you also make people on mobility scooters get insurance too cause ive been hit by one of them before lol

and no i didnt put a claim in

I am covered for my bike, I use the roads as I have a tri bike, I feel that being covered gives you piece of mind even tho it's only a small snip in the pocket, in today's world you don't no who is covered, so I always protect myself,

» Add a new message to this topic