FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Eating healthily...cheaply

Eating healthily...cheaply

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *isscheekychops OP   Woman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

Is it possible??? Or is processed food still winning the battle of cheaper eating??

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rsIdiotWoman  over a year ago

Bedworth

A healthy diet on a budget is tricky but can be done if you shop sensibly and know how to cook.

Good quality fruit, veg and lean protein doesn't come cheap but if you shop around or take advantage of special offers/reduced cabinet then you don't have to break the bank

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

If you have the time to go to the market, substitute tinned fruit and vegetables for fresh where it won't make a difference and cook in bulk then it's possible. It's just not as quick and convenient.

You can't make one portion of lasagne for the same price as buying a ready meal version.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

does growing your own vegetables cut costs/help save....?

By *issHottieBottieWoman  over a year ago

Kent

I think if you buy things when they are on offer and cook In bulk and portion things it's better.

I'm always stalking the reduced sections in tesco etc for meat bargains.

A while ago I got 6 lots of 2 chicken breasts for 84p a pack. Bargain.

Chuck in a bag of stir fry veg and some soy sauce and you've got 2 dinners for less than £2.

"Is it possible??? Or is processed food still winning the battle of cheaper eating?? "
yes if you but things in markets or obit sales . They cost half the price of super markets or grow your own .if you make fresh food you can make several portions and freeze the left overs in Chinese containers or take it to work the following day to eat for lunch or tea . Xx

I spent quite a bit of money on food...but I do love the reduced section for meats etc...

I've started ordering an organic veg box to be delivered weekly, on the basis that as it costs a small fortune I'll make sure I eat it, rather than chucking a whole load of mushy rotting vegetables in the bin at the end of the week.

It's really tasty too,- should give them a try. £16/week

Yeah I think you can eat healthy on a budget,cooking in bulk is prob the best way to do it.I often make up curry and chilli etc then portion it and freeze it.

"I think if you buy things when they are on offer and cook In bulk and portion things it's better.

I'm always stalking the reduced sections in tesco etc for meat bargains.

A while ago I got 6 lots of 2 chicken breasts for 84p a pack. Bargain.

Chuck in a bag of stir fry veg and some soy sauce

and you've got 2 dinners for less than £2. "

. Yes a chuck them in the freezer . Some foreign super markets are much cheaper like a and l for meat and lean bits of meat tooo. I loves cooking I often. Do teo or three dishes for the week and it's cheaper than busting sandwiches too in work

The reason I ask was because I heard a conversation where she was talking to a friend the doctor must of told her to loose weight and she was saying she could not afford to eat healthy

By *issHottieBottieWoman  over a year ago

Kent

"I spent quite a bit of money on food...but I do love the reduced section for meats etc... "

I also do my food shop online and write a list of what I need and make sure my cupboards are organised. I haven't thrown any out of date stuff away for months I do a meal planner and plan ahead with what I've got. And make sure leftovers get used like roast dinner on a Sunday then casserole or curry Monday with the meat. Or bubble and squeak with the veg etc.

By *oudnproudWoman  over a year ago

penrith

Its just me and my son in my house but I bulk cook... normally all fresh ingredients. .

I make lasagne or bolagnise enough for two days worth..

the day we are eating and I then portion the left overs up into plastic containers and freeze...

By *ScotsmanMan  over a year ago

ayrshire

.. lambs liver . . .

One in the basket, one in the coat pocket ...

Aldi are very reasonable on their whole foods, fruit and veg.

By *ScotsmanMan  over a year ago

ayrshire

"One in the basket, one in the coat pocket ..."
ha. .and a 42inch plasma under the trolley . .

By *bony in IvoryCouple  over a year ago

Black&White Utopia

Yes is very possible... Fruit and veg from markets cleaning stuff etc from local cheap shops, and shop around rather than a big shop in just one place... Think like most things in life is easier for some to say ' can't ' than put some effort in and 'do' us Brits do love an excuse at times! Lol

By *egasus NobMan  over a year ago

Merton

"A healthy diet on a budget is tricky but can be done if you shop sensibly and know how to cook.

Good quality fruit, veg and lean protein doesn't come cheap but if you shop around or take advantage of special offers/reduced cabinet then you don't have to break the bank"

I eat fairly healthy probably cheaper than process food if you are willing to cook and wash dishes. Same amount you will spend on McDonald/KFC/fast food you could buy pasta,fish,pesto healthier and fuller.

We buy our meat online

Cut out. Bread saves. A fortune

A big bag of curly kale. Goes a long way. Two dozen eggs pretty. Cheap, cous cous, whole carrots are quite cheap. It gets. Expensive when u add salad stuff etc... Since food. Bill has gone up loads. Since. Starting. Healthy eating.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Aldi are very reasonable on their whole foods, fruit and veg.

"

Yes I was going to say this. We eat healthily, well and economically and the bulk of our shopping is done in Aldi. I think lots of people were never shown how to eat cheaply and well so don't know where to start.

I grow veg and have chickens for eggs

I haven't been eating healthily for a few weeks now and i can feel it. I need a kick up my backside to stop it!

...i think it's more timely more than anything. You'd end up spending a similar amount of money on the food for either. For fast food you may pay a smaller amount but you'd be buying it frequently. For healthier foods you'd buy it in bulk. May seem costly but is not as frequent.

However, healthier foods sometimes just take a while to prepare. Which kind of puts me off. Especially, if your coming straight from work and you're feeling a bit peckish.

But, i'm a fat bastard lately anyway.

I'm just myself and I was in Asda and got 8 pork chops for £3, froze them individually. So I have 8 pork meals for £3. That's a stir fry, a casserole, a curry, a stuffed pork fillet... With a little extra money put to it. The reduced bit is a godsend. As are frozen veg.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I haven't been eating healthily for a few weeks now and i can feel it. I need a kick up my backside to stop it!

...i think it's more timely more than anything. You'd end up spending a similar amount of money on the food for either. For fast food you may pay a smaller amount but you'd be buying it frequently. For healthier foods you'd buy it in bulk. May seem costly but is not as frequent.

However, healthier foods sometimes just take a while to prepare. Which kind of puts me off. Especially, if your coming straight from work and you're feeling a bit peckish.

But, i'm a fat bastard lately anyway.

"

it's a myth that healthy food takes time, a tin of tomatoes, a chopped onion a clove of garlic and some bacon can be combined in the ten minutes it takes for pasta to boil. A tin of chick peas can be whizzed in the food processor with garlic and that other stuff I forget the name of while you toast pitta bread for a healthy snack, frozen veg is just as good if not better for you than fresh and you can quickly make a Spanish omelette with peas, left over potatoes and an onion.

"The reason I ask was because I heard a conversation where she was talking to a friend the doctor must of told her to loose weight and she was saying she could not afford to eat healthy "

I'm yet to find a shop that charges more for an apple in comparison with a chocolate bar.

crystal

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"The reason I ask was because I heard a conversation where she was talking to a friend the doctor must of told her to loose weight and she was saying she could not afford to eat healthy

I'm yet to find a shop that charges more for an apple in comparison with a chocolate bar.

crystal"

lol, you're right!

» Add a new message to this topic