FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Is hands free REALLY safer??

Is hands free REALLY safer??

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ichaelangela OP   Couple  over a year ago

notts

Reason i ask is, just took a call while driving along a route i travel at least once a day, factory fitted hands free kit in the car,

and for the life of me, i cannot remember travelling down one of the roads.

any thoughts on this??

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

When people are driving and I'm a passenger and they use the hands free I get nervous as there has been occasions where they are concentrating on the call rather than the roads...I've had a couple of nasty road accidents so I'm a pretty nervous passenger but I do think if you are going to have a long conversation with someone to have it when I'm not in the car...lol

notts

"When people are driving and I'm a passenger and they use the hands free I get nervous as there has been occasions where they are concentrating on the call rather than the roads...I've had a couple of nasty road accidents so I'm a pretty nervous passenger but I do think if you are going to have a long conversation with someone to have it when I'm not in the car...lol "

i promise not to use the phone hands free or otherwise if your ever in our car

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Depends if you wear gloves

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

"When people are driving and I'm a passenger and they use the hands free I get nervous as there has been occasions where they are concentrating on the call rather than the roads...I've had a couple of nasty road accidents so I'm a pretty nervous passenger but I do think if you are going to have a long conversation with someone to have it when I'm not in the car...lol

i promise not to use the phone hands free or otherwise if your ever in our car "

Haha ok

"Reason i ask is, just took a call while driving along a route i travel at least once a day, factory fitted hands free kit in the car,

any thoughts on this??"

I don't think its much different to having a conversation with a passenger!Had you been drinking?

notts

"Reason i ask is, just took a call while driving along a route i travel at least once a day, factory fitted hands free kit in the car,

any thoughts on this??

I don't think its much different to having a conversation with a passenger!Had you been drinking?"

not at all, i am teetotal, genuinely

Hands free isn't much different from using a phone, at the end of the day your full attention isn't on driving.

As someone who travels a lot I've seen countless near misses with people on hands free, the scary thing is they didn't even realise

"Hands free isn't much different from using a phone, at the end of the day your full attention isn't on driving.

As someone who travels a lot I've seen countless near misses with people on hands free, the scary thing is they didn't even realise "

How do you no they are on hands free?Maybe they are just tlking to a midget,or themselves.

Hands free is undeniably safer but that doesn't mean it is anywhere close to being safe.

"Hands free isn't much different from using a phone, at the end of the day your full attention isn't on driving. "

this exactly. If you're talking to a passenger as someone else mentioned, you can stop the conversation and carry on later if there's something that needs more than your usual 100% concentration.

"Hands free isn't much different from using a phone, at the end of the day your full attention isn't on driving.

As someone who travels a lot I've seen countless near misses with people on hands free, the scary thing is they didn't even realise

How do you no they are on hands free?Maybe they are just tlking to a midget,or themselves. "

Lol next time I'll tell em to pull up so I can check for a migit

[Removed by poster at 22/04/14 11:58:41]

It's very common if you are travelling a route regularly to not remember passing a certain part of that route. If nothing out of the ordinary happens then there is nothing to remember. The fact that you remember nothing means the journey was carried out without incident and therefore safely.

Never used a hands free and I am a learner driver. When I am concentrating and my instructor isn't talking, I am Ok. But when she has her chatty head on I make so many mistakes because I am listening to her.

I think hands free removes the physical multi tasking that involves using a phone while driving, such as steering , indicating and changing gears.

However, there is still the mental multi tasking involved. If you're concentrating on talking to someone, can you really concentrate on how safely you are driving as well?

The funny thing is, there's not really any difference between using hands free, and talking to one of your passengers, but hands free somehow feels less safer lol

i also turn the radio/stero right down when i need to concentrate more

By *bony in IvoryCouple  over a year ago

Black&White Utopia

No difference really than driving along music on, singing ya head off? Gotta be safer usung hands free i feel? Both hands on wheel driving, where they should be ?

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

As someone who travels a lot I've seen countless near misses with people on hands free, the scary thing is they didn't even realise "

I believe it, and when I have a chatty passenger I am very aware that I am driving differently - I actually drive in a subdued fashion because at some level I am aware that I cannot concentrate fully.

"

The funny thing is, there's not really any difference between using hands free, and talking to one of your passengers, but hands free somehow feels less safer lol "

Disagree.. a real passenger also has instinct and will know when your approaching traffic/junctions and in most cases pause the conversation and allow you to think

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

Forget is hands free really safer, is there any real proof that using a phone while driving is as dangerous as we are told?

And if there is why is there an exception to the law that allows police to use phones and 2 way radios without hands free kits.

"

The funny thing is, there's not really any difference between using hands free, and talking to one of your passengers, but hands free somehow feels less safer lol

Disagree.. a real passenger also has instinct and will know when your approaching traffic/junctions and in most cases pause the conversation and allow you to think"

I'll tell my 2 year old nephew that next time he is in my car.

"Forget is hands free really safer, is there any real proof that using a phone while driving is as dangerous as we are told?

And if there is why is there an exception to the law that allows police to use phones and 2 way radios without hands free kits.

"

If the police are rushing to my aid and I'm telling them directions over the phone I couldn't give a monkeys if they are hands free or not. You have to pass a far harder driving test to be able to drive a police car so maybe that is taken into consideration.

"Forget is hands free really safer, is there any real proof that using a phone while driving is as dangerous as we are told?

"

You only have to look at some of the morons driving along with a phone stuck to there ear to realise its not safe.

"

Disagree.. a real passenger also has instinct and will know when your approaching traffic/junctions and in most cases pause the conversation and allow you to think

I'll tell my 2 year old nephew that next time he is in my car. "

Ok so children are not so understanding.. but adults yes

"

Ok so children are not so understanding.. but adults yes "

I wouldn't use hands free anyway with a child in my car.

You only have to look at some of the morons driving along with a phone stuck to there ear to realise its not safe. "

And how do you change gear , indicate and steer if one hand is attached to phone. Of course it's not safe to drive whilst on the phone.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

If the police are rushing to my aid and I'm telling them directions over the phone I couldn't give a monkeys if they are hands free or not. You have to pass a far harder driving test to be able to drive a police car so maybe that is taken into consideration. "

Actually that's not so and hasn't been the case for well over 20 years. Only traffic police have advanced driver training.

"

Ok so children are not so understanding.. but adults yes

I wouldn't use hands free anyway with a child in my car."

i dont use phones full stop in the car regardless if im with someone or on my own.. but the thread asked if it was safer,, and the post i replied to said it was just as safe as if you were talking to someone. x

to be a bit more pedantic about things,, if its the fact a phone takes away the use of a hand to maintain control how many folk have attempted to eat or drink something whilst driving?

i have but generally made the effort to slow down and if the road is open/safe enough to do so.

If the police are rushing to my aid and I'm telling them directions over the phone I couldn't give a monkeys if they are hands free or not. You have to pass a far harder driving test to be able to drive a police car so maybe that is taken into consideration.

Actually that's not so and hasn't been the case for well over 20 years. Only traffic police have advanced driver training."

Fair enough. I still don't mind the police using the tools at their disposal to get to an incident quicker, especially if that incident involves me.

"to be a bit more pedantic about things,, if its the fact a phone takes away the use of a hand to maintain control how many folk have attempted to eat or drink something whilst driving?

i have but generally made the effort to slow down and if the road is open/safe enough to do so. "

The fact you use the word "generally" rather than always is really quite worrying

"to be a bit more pedantic about things,, if its the fact a phone takes away the use of a hand to maintain control how many folk have attempted to eat or drink something whilst driving?

i have but generally made the effort to slow down and if the road is open/safe enough to do so.

The fact you use the word "generally" rather than always is really quite worrying "

well on a motorway on the inside lane u cant slow down.. if i think its safe enough to open a bottle at speed then its my call

The fact you use the word "generally" rather than always is really quite worrying

well on a motorway on the inside lane u cant slow down.. if i think its safe enough to open a bottle at speed then its my call "

Hydrating whilst on a long journey is thought to be a good idea and it keeps the mind alert.

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

I don't like them. I sometimes tell passengers to stop talking to me if I feel the conversation is distracting me.

Nothing is so urgent that I need to take any call whilst driving.

Used to work with a lad who would roll a fag on top os the steering wheel whilst having his phone in between ear and shoulder and would then proceed to talk whilst smoking with one hand and drinking coffee with the other all whilst driving ....

...have to admit it must have taken some skill

"Never used a hands free and I am a learner driver. When I am concentrating and my instructor isn't talking, I am Ok. But when she has her chatty head on I make so many mistakes because I am listening to her. "

I used to hate it when my instructor would talk whilst I was learning to drive...lovely lady...put up with it cos I didn't wish to experience awkwardness had I told her to hush

any thoughts on this??"

I put mine in pocket , can't be arsed with a phone at the best of times let alone when having me time in the car

By *ecor atorMan  over a year ago

York

Same old modern day fuss, my new car has totally built in phone system, don't need to touch the phone at all.

much prefer the original in car proper car phone with landline type handset.

Could still use free hand for indicators or any other switches.

Use your knees for steering!

All this nanny pamby politically correct lesbian bollox is so annoying!

Ducks under table ??

The use of some hands free units and looking at data eg. Texts and sorts has become illegal here in the past week or so with a 1000 euro fine and probably a few penalty point on top!

That's if your caught ! ......

I much prefer to text. The drawbacks however are that I've come close to spilling my coffee when overtaking on blind bends especially when a car is coming in the opposite direction and you have to swerve. That or you send half a txt or worse still drop your phone in the footwell cos then I really struggle to see over the steering wheel when blindly groping around my pedals so I don't stand on my phone. ... Thinking about it maybe I should invest in hands free??

i have but generally made the effort to slow down and if the road is open/safe enough to do so. "

Which is still illegal and will get you a fine if seen.

I like to see if I can get people to drop their phone/food when I see them doing it dangerous sure but funny as hell to watch them far about in the Wing mirror as I zoom away.

The horn works better than knocking on their window though

I like to see if I can get people to drop their phone/food when I see them doing it dangerous sure but funny as hell to watch them far about in the Wing mirror as I zoom away.

The horn works better than knocking on their window though"

Eating/Drinking/Smoking whilst driving is NOT illegal

The horn works better than knocking on their window though

Eating/Drinking/Smoking whilst driving is NOT illegal "

It is fineable people have been done for eating an apple and drinking a bottle of water for the headline ones if you want to Google.

You're deemed not to be in proper control of your vehicle

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It's all about relative levels of risk, such as the difference between losing your life whilst traveling on a plane being much lower than whilst in a car etc. It's similar to safer sex too - no condomes = higher risk, but condom use can also carry some risk.

Apparently speaking on a fitted kit is safer than using a hand held phone whilst driving - on average. Any one particular user, or road conditions would all confound the results etc. You may be safer with a hand held phone, rather than a built in kit - on average too.

But, the research does seem to show that using a phone in any manner and driving is more dangerous than not phoning/driving at all.

Otherwise, we all of us zone out regularly from time to time, and going into a driving trance is fairly common. You just drive and keep going, sometimes forgetting which motorway junction you've passed etc. Not having conscious recall of everything that's happened is partly how our brain and mind works well, as it keeps us from being overloaded.

» Add a new message to this topic