FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Prime minister statement that Britain is a Christian country

Prime minister statement that Britain is a Christian country

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Just wonderd what thoughts people have on the Prime Ministers statement.Apparantly 50 'intellectuals' disagree.In my opinion he's right Britain is a Christain country that is slowly but surely loosing its identity,lets welcome people of all faiths who have the right to worship as they feel fit but we should keep some culture and identity for future generations not just make it a melting pot and let's face it who knows what will come out of it if we do.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Just wonderd what thoughts people have on the Prime Ministers statement.Apparantly 50 'intellectuals' disagree.In my opinion he's right Britain is a Christain country that is slowly but surely loosing its identity,lets welcome people of all faiths who have the right to worship as they feel fit but we should keep some culture and identity for future generations not just make it a melting pot and let's face it who knows what will come out of it if we do. "

Sounds about right to us too!

XXXX

By *astpoetMan  over a year ago

where the world takes me

England is an historical Christian country but the reality these days is far from that.

In reality we live in something that is - i think - brilliantly and uniquely special to a lot of the world, a secular country where religion is at most personal and not dictated or enforced onto anyone.

And that to me is the crux, i don't care if someone believes in God, Allah or the flying spaghetti monster just don't try and push those views onto anyone else and don't make anyone else feel bad for the views they do hold.

Personally i wish Cameron would just keep shut up about these things, they only serve to cause divisions that aren't needed and fuel xenophobia.

Mind you a cynic could also say that there's an election next year and he's losing a core of his more conservative (and Christian) vote to UKIP and needs to make a vote winning play on religion

People can think what they want even the pm it doesn't make it true.

Don't listen to a word that toffee-nosed tory fool says.

Christian country my arse. He's idiotic at best with the nonsense that spills from his over-privileged mouth.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Just wonderd what thoughts people have on the Prime Ministers statement.Apparantly 50 'intellectuals' disagree.In my opinion he's right Britain is a Christain country that is slowly but surely loosing its identity,lets welcome people of all faiths who have the right to worship as they feel fit but we should keep some culture and identity for future generations not just make it a melting pot and let's face it who knows what will come out of it if we do. "

So you would like us to remain a religious rather than a secular country and have our culture and identity defined by a religion?

"Don't listen to a word that toffee-nosed tory fool says.

Christian country my arse. He's idiotic at best with the nonsense that spills from his over-privileged mouth."

where the world takes me

"In my opinion he's right Britain is a Christain country that is slowly but surely loosing its identity "

Is that culture that was there with the Celts, or the one that was there when the Vikings invaded, or the one when the French/Normans invaded, or the one where the Romans invaded, or the one where religion was changed to suit the needs of the king...

Britain/England is a mongrel nation and i for one am massively proud of that, our culture is far from dilluted if anything it's improved by the fact that we except and assimilate new ideas and cultures into the larger whole.

If you become to protective and insular you end up like the Taliban or Communist Russia, we on the other hand are a grown up nation that can count Chinese Tea, Indian food, West Indian Carnival, French words, German Monarchy, Polish pilots (WW2) and African influences in culture and from there influence and change the culture of the entire world, through our art/literature/film/music/sport/speech.

Not bad going really and a long way off the rivers of blood that some want us all to fear.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

How would you say that Britain's identity and culture is defined by religion?

By *eMontresMan  over a year ago

Halesowen

Religion should have no part to play in government, legislature or education. We are a secular country. I don't want people making decisions such as invading another country based on voices in their heads from an imaginary friend

where the world takes me

"Religion should have no part to play in government, legislature or education. We are a secular country. I don't want people making decisions such as invading another country based on voices in their heads from an imaginary friend"

Whilst i agree with what your saying there the imaginary friends part is against that secular spirit. Live and let live is a very simple maxim that too many ignore on both sides.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"England is an historical Christian country but the reality these days is far from that.

In reality we live in something that is - i think - brilliantly and uniquely special to a lot of the world, a secular country where religion is at most personal and not dictated or enforced onto anyone.

And that to me is the crux, i don't care if someone believes in God, Allah or the flying spaghetti monster just don't try and push those views onto anyone else and don't make anyone else feel bad for the views they do hold.

Personally i wish Cameron would just keep shut up about these things, they only serve to cause divisions that aren't needed and fuel xenophobia.

Mind you a cynic could also say that there's an election next year and he's losing a core of his more conservative (and Christian) vote to UKIP and needs to make a vote winning play on religion "

All good in a perfect world but its obvious that other religions are trying to 'push' there views in to society and it needs someone to stand up and say something.Not in the way the BNP do or the EDL because that is obvious racism but we should not be afraid to protect our national identity.Do you think if there was a sudden influx of non Muslims into the Arab Emirates they would change all their laws and start opening off licences ?

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

cameron talks out of his fart tube most of the time .. i dont think his pronouncenents are worth cock snot

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"England is an historical Christian country but the reality these days is far from that.

Mind you a cynic could also say that there's an election next year and he's losing a core of his more conservative (and Christian) vote to UKIP and needs to make a vote winning play on religion

All good in a perfect world but its obvious that other religions are trying to 'push' there views in to society and it needs someone to stand up and say something.Not in the way the BNP do or the EDL because that is obvious racism but we should not be afraid to protect our national identity.Do you think if there was a sudden influx of non Muslims into the Arab Emirates they would change all their laws and start opening off licences ?"

I understand the point of the thread now. Have any of our laws been changed to suit other religions? I am assuming you mean Islam

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"In my opinion he's right Britain is a Christain country that is slowly but surely loosing its identity

Is that culture that was there with the Celts, or the one that was there when the Vikings invaded, or the one when the French/Normans invaded, or the one where the Romans invaded, or the one where religion was changed to suit the needs of the king...

Britain/England is a mongrel nation and i for one am massively proud of that, our culture is far from dilluted if anything it's improved by the fact that we except and assimilate new ideas and cultures into the larger whole.

If you become to protective and insular you end up like the Taliban or Communist Russia, we on the other hand are a grown up nation that can count Chinese Tea, Indian food, West Indian Carnival, French words, German Monarchy, Polish pilots (WW2) and African influences in culture and from there influence and change the culture of the entire world, through our art/literature/film/music/sport/speech.

Not bad going really and a long way off the rivers of blood that some want us all to fear."

This!

(And saved me a lot of typing too!)

A

Religion has caused and will cause many wars. So I will sit back and watch as you all battle it out!

"Just wonderd what thoughts people have on the Prime Ministers statement.Apparantly 50 'intellectuals' disagree.In my opinion he's right Britain is a Christain country that is slowly but surely loosing its identity,lets welcome people of all faiths who have the right to worship as they feel fit but we should keep some culture and identity for future generations not just make it a melting pot and let's face it who knows what will come out of it if we do.

How would you say that Britain's identity and culture is defined by religion? "

We celebrate Christian holidays such as Easter and Christmas... Now I'm not religious at all but these holidays are part of our culture as a nation.

I do think its sad these days when a lot of schools cannot celebrate these holidays. I was told at my school that we had to skim over Easter as we had done a lot about Christmas.

When I was at school we had hymn assemblies, went carol singing and did loads of other stuff.

"Just wonderd what thoughts people have on the Prime Ministers statement.Apparantly 50 'intellectuals' disagree.In my opinion he's right Britain is a Christain country that is slowly but surely loosing its identity,lets welcome people of all faiths who have the right to worship as they feel fit but we should keep some culture and identity for future generations not just make it a melting pot and let's face it who knows what will come out of it if we do.

How would you say that Britain's identity and culture is defined by religion? "

Considering how empty our churches are how can we claim to be a Christian country? Our heritage is not defined by a religion. And let's not forget the origins of the Church of England to a large extent typify the shallow and hypocritical stance many Brits have to religion. We hide behind ot when it suits our argument but ignore it when it doesn't.

Multi-culturism is an amazing thing. People should celebrate diversity and I pity tthose that don't or won't

All good in a perfect world but its obvious that other religions are trying to 'push' there views in to society and it needs someone to stand up and say something.Not in the way the BNP do or the EDL because that is obvious racism but we should not be afraid to protect our national identity.Do you think if there was a sudden influx of non Muslims into the Arab Emirates they would change all their laws and start opening off licences ?

I understand the point of the thread now. Have any of our laws been changed to suit other religions? I am assuming you mean Islam"

where the world takes me

All good in a perfect world but its obvious that other religions are trying to 'push' there views in to society and it needs someone to stand up and say something.Not in the way the BNP do or the EDL because that is obvious racism but we should not be afraid to protect our national identity.Do you think if there was a sudden influx of non Muslims into the Arab Emirates they would change all their laws and start opening off licences ?"

I pretty sure you'll find not a single law has been changed in this country on the grounds of religion in a very long time.

And due to the fact we have a parliamentary democracy - and the one you use as an example makes up less than 5% of the population - means that it probably won't happen for an even longer time (if ever).

In fact the most likely negative impact that could happen in law from a religion is most likely to come from Christianity as happened in the USA when the religious right took over the Republican party, or in Ireland re: abortion.

The truth is that "pushing their religion as law" stuff is just scare mongering and before the current bette noir of Islam happened with Jews and other minorities.

Better to just ignore people trying to whip us up into mass hysteria as fools and realise that the large majority of people just want an easy quiet life and to get on with others around us.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

We celebrate Christian holidays such as Easter and Christmas... Now I'm not religious at all but these holidays are part of our culture as a nation.

I do think its sad these days when a lot of schools cannot celebrate these holidays. I was told at my school that we had to skim over Easter as we had done a lot about Christmas.

When I was at school we had hymn assemblies, went carol singing and did loads of other stuff. "

those holidays were originally pagan festivals that were overlayed by Christian festivals, the culture of Britain was changed then and continues to change. Culture and identity aren't fixed or defined by religion Jews don't celebrate Christmas is their culture not British?

What aspects of our national identity are we losing?

"In my opinion he's right Britain is a Christain country that is slowly but surely loosing its identity

Not bad going really and a long way off the rivers of blood that some want us all to fear."

Hey us picts where here before the cells!

Speaking as an ethnic minority and child of economic migrants from back in 60s/70s.... I'm glad, that of all the places my parents could have come to, they chose Britain.

Of course there are troubling elements of our society as with any, but on the whole, the respect, tolerance and sensitivity shown by people is second to no nation I've ever visited to.

The landscape of the country will change with the times, as it always has done. The fear of change will exist, as it always has done.

The values which make this country great may have Christian origins, and this need not be forgotten. History is important. Nonetheless, I believe, it's the values that are of most import, not the origins.

So long as tolerance, respect and compassion et al remain - the future will be bright.

Optimistically yours.

When I was at school we had hymn assemblies, went carol singing and did loads of other stuff. "

Out of interest how did you celebrate Easter? Or Christmas?

Of course we're a Christian country.

Just had a 4 days off for Easter

Whens Eid?

Regarding the UAE, and even Saudi Arabia..although laws haven't changed overtly, alcohol is readily available, so long as it is consumed privately i.e. at your home.

This may not seem ideal, but it's a tiny step towards the open, tolerant attitude we are fortunate to have here.

"Of course we're a Christian country.

Just had a 4 days off for Easter

Whens Eid?"

I love Eid. I get food from my neighbours

where the world takes me

What i find interesting is that the level of people who claim Islam as their faith has been largely unchanged since the early 1980s yet only now are people starting to have a problem with it.

It's really interesting (if you can disassociate yourself from the harm it does to people) how much the attitude of the press, both nationally and locally, can change the way people think and act.

Since as far as i can remember in the 80s when all the "Mad Mullah" stuff was going on no one was attacking them as they were our enemies enemy (against communism) so seen as a friend. But come the end of the cold war we needed A.N Other to put on the pedestal of the bad guys and Islam took that place.

I'm sure that the fact that it made a handy device to hide the inherent racism of some politicians because they could target a religion rather than a race helped.

Mr Orwell was often right you know, and in 1984 his concept of constant war sums up a lot of what we see in our press.

"What i find interesting is that the level of people who claim Islam as their faith has been largely unchanged since the early 1980s yet only now are people starting to have a problem with it.

It's really interesting (if you can disassociate yourself from the harm it does to people) how much the attitude of the press, both nationally and locally, can change the way people think and act.

Since as far as i can remember in the 80s when all the "Mad Mullah" stuff was going on no one was attacking them as they were our enemies enemy (against communism) so seen as a friend. But come the end of the cold war we needed A.N Other to put on the pedestal of the bad guys and Islam took that place.

I'm sure that the fact that it made a handy device to hide the inherent racism of some politicians because they could target a religion rather than a race helped.

Mr Orwell was often right you know, and in 1984 his concept of constant war sums up a lot of what we see in our press."

For anyone interested - there's a fascinating BBC documentary called The Power of Nightmares - which investigates how external threats are exaggerated and distorted by the ruling class and for what purpose creating a phantom enemy serves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaLPFayD8FA

where the world takes me

"What i find interesting is that the level of people who claim Islam as their faith has been largely unchanged since the early 1980s yet only now are people starting to have a problem with it.

Mr Orwell was often right you know, and in 1984 his concept of constant war sums up a lot of what we see in our press.

For anyone interested - there's a fascinating BBC documentary called The Power of Nightmares - which investigates how external threats are exaggerated and distorted by the ruling class and for what purpose creating a phantom enemy serves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaLPFayD8FA"

Adam Curtis is my favourite documentary maker and his BBC blog is a fascinating read.

Unfortunately his work often gets shown at non peak time on BBC2 so many miss it.

When I was at school we had hymn assemblies, went carol singing and did loads of other stuff.

"

Me personally? Or at school?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Me personally? Or at school?"

I think they meant you personally. The point is that it isn't governments or religions that keep culture and tradition alive its the people who keep the tradition, observe the feast days by attending church etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaLPFayD8FA

Adam Curtis is my favourite documentary maker and his BBC blog is a fascinating read.

Unfortunately his work often gets shown at non peak time on BBC2 so many miss it."

Just had a quick browse of the blog - you're very right. Looks like some really interesting stuff on there, which fits in nicely with the Chomsky I'm currently reading! Cheers!!

those holidays were originally pagan festivals that were overlayed by Christian festivals, the culture of Britain was changed then and continues to change. Culture and identity aren't fixed or defined by religion Jews don't celebrate Christmas is their culture not British?"

Like I said, I'm not religious, and those holidays have moved away from religion in a lot of ways. But we have traditions and festivities that stem from those holidays and I think its sad that we cant do that in schools anymore.

I always teach and celebrate a variety of religious and cultural holidays with my kids... we cover Eid, Divali, CNY... and nobody ever complains about any of those. However, celebrate Christmas as people stop sending their kids to school or start demanding they go somewhere else for the duration of it.

I think they meant you personally. The point is that it isn't governments or religions that keep culture and tradition alive its the people who keep the tradition, observe the feast days by attending church etc."

It was exactly that. I suspect (and not necessarily in regards to the post I quoted) many people who bemoan tge loss of our traditions do nothing to keep them alive

Forum Mod

East Sussex

those holidays were originally pagan festivals that were overlayed by Christian festivals, the culture of Britain was changed then and continues to change. Culture and identity aren't fixed or defined by religion Jews don't celebrate Christmas is their culture not British?

Like I said, I'm not religious, and those holidays have moved away from religion in a lot of ways. But we have traditions and festivities that stem from those holidays and I think its sad that we cant do that in schools anymore.

I always teach and celebrate a variety of religious and cultural holidays with my kids... we cover Eid, Divali, CNY... and nobody ever complains about any of those. However, celebrate Christmas as people stop sending their kids to school or start demanding they go somewhere else for the duration of it."

When I was at school with Noah's children the Jehovah's witness children, some of the Catholic children and a couple of other kids used to go and read in the library when we did RE or anything to do with Christianity (we didn't do other religions in the sixties) so its nothing new.

You have altered Christian culture to suit yourself since you say you aren't religious so I am struggling to understand your point.

"Religion should have no part to play in government, legislature or education. We are a secular country. I don't want people making decisions such as invading another country based on voices in their heads from an imaginary friend"

Agree 100%. The problem is when people start acting on those imaginary voices and using their own interpretations.

I always teach and celebrate a variety of religious and cultural holidays with my kids... we cover Eid, Divali, CNY... and nobody ever complains about any of those. However, celebrate Christmas as people stop sending their kids to school or start demanding they go somewhere else for the duration of it.

When I was at school with Noah's children the Jehovah's witness children, some of the Catholic children and a couple of other kids used to go and read in the library when we did RE or anything to do with Christianity (we didn't do other religions in the sixties) so its nothing new. "

But isnt that a sad state of affairs? Tp not let a child learn about another religion that is active in the country they live in? I once had a mouthful from a parent who didnt think we made a big enough deal of Eid - although we did learn about it, makes cards etc... - and then pulled her kid out of school during the Nativity and Christmas party. That's entirely hypocritical.

"

You have altered Christian culture to suit yourself since you say you aren't religious so I am struggling to understand your point."

My point was, that its not an entirely ridiculous thing to say we are a Christian country when a lot of our national holidays are based around Christian festivals.

I think they meant you personally. The point is that it isn't governments or religions that keep culture and tradition alive its the people who keep the tradition, observe the feast days by attending church etc.

It was exactly that. I suspect (and not necessarily in regards to the post I quoted) many people who bemoan tge loss of our traditions do nothing to keep them alive"

Maybe I waffled and lost the point somewhere... which was, I'm being told not to teach kids about Easter... in my opinion thats sad and wrong!

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"

When I was at school with Noah's children the Jehovah's witness children, some of the Catholic children and a couple of other kids used to go and read in the library when we did RE or anything to do with Christianity (we didn't do other religions in the sixties) so its nothing new.

But isnt that a sad state of affairs? Tp not let a child learn about another religion that is active in the country they live in? I once had a mouthful from a parent who didnt think we made a big enough deal of Eid - although we did learn about it, makes cards etc... - and then pulled her kid out of school during the Nativity and Christmas party. That's entirely hypocritical.

You have altered Christian culture to suit yourself since you say you aren't religious so I am struggling to understand your point.

My point was, that its not an entirely ridiculous thing to say we are a Christian country when a lot of our national holidays are based around Christian festivals."

Yes I do think its sad that some parents don't let their children learn about other religions.

A lot of our holidays are based around Christian festivals but the majority of people celebrate these festivals worshipping at the altar of Mammon.

I don't think it's ridiculous to say we are a Christian country either, we are in name, just as we would say that Spain is a Catholic country but I don't think our culture is being swallowed up by other cultures I think it's changing and moving just as it always has.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"

Maybe I waffled and lost the point somewhere... which was, I'm being told not to teach kids about Easter... in my opinion thats sad and wrong!"

I think that you should be allowed to teach children about Easter, who is telling you that you can't?

"

Maybe I waffled and lost the point somewhere... which was, I'm being told not to teach kids about Easter... in my opinion thats sad and wrong!

I think that you should be allowed to teach children about Easter, who is telling you that you can't? "

I agree that there ought to be balance - a celebration of all manner of different cultures doesn't have to mean one is actually celebrating each and every culture.

It's a shame that *some* people let fear dictate their actions.

"

I think that you should be allowed to teach children about Easter, who is telling you that you can't? "

We got told by deputy that as they'd done a lot about Christmas that we couldn't focus on Easter and had to do "Spring" instead - baby animals and flowers!

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"

I think that you should be allowed to teach children about Easter, who is telling you that you can't?

We got told by deputy that as they'd done a lot about Christmas that we couldn't focus on Easter and had to do "Spring" instead - baby animals and flowers!"

I see.

By *eMontresMan  over a year ago

Halesowen

Christmas and Easter have nothing to do with Christianity, they are pagan festivals based on the the winter solstice and spring equinox. They were hijacked by the Christians during the indoctrination. I'm not a pagan, but celebrate the equinoxes and solstices in traditional fashion, as they are significant milestones in the changing of the seasons, which affect inhabitants of the planet greatly.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Christmas and Easter have nothing to do with Christianity, they are pagan festivals based on the the winter solstice and spring equinox. They were hijacked by the Christians during the indoctrination. I'm not a pagan, but celebrate the equinoxes and solstices in traditional fashion, as they are significant milestones in the changing of the seasons, which affect inhabitants of the planet greatly.

"

I suspect the pre-Christians complained that their culture was being eroded by the incoming religion too.

Ooops, too late!

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"

We got told by deputy that as they'd done a lot about Christmas that we couldn't focus on Easter and had to do "Spring" instead - baby animals and flowers!"

Teach about easter ? Teach what exactly ? The truth or that one of the world religions have a wildly imaginative story that they have tried to impose upon a particular time of year ?

Stick to fact s about spring and animals not indoctrination innocent children xx

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

England is a Christian country with a secular population, as we have the Church of England. Luckily we are not expected to go to Church or show any religious proclivities whatsoever, and its up to us if our kids to go a church run school or a secular one. I am all for freedom of religion, whatever it is.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"

Hmmm. Individual school decision then.

The Head at the primary the kids attend made it clear to ALL parents that RE meant the children would be learning about all the major religions and the children could not be pulled out of visits to churches, mosques and temples on the basis that their children could not learn about another religion. The Head pointed out that by that reasoning the school couldn't cover their own religion either in case it offended someone else.

Strong leadership and all the major festivals are covered in the school.

» Add a new message to this topic