FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > How do YOU measure intelligence ?

How do YOU measure intelligence ?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ranny-Crumpet OP   Woman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Don't google, meriam, oxford, urban or any other reference bar your own head and gut ...

What is intelligence in a human adult?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I measure intelligence using a rolling pin.

By *ackandkateCouple  over a year ago

Truro

I'm not saying my missus is thick but she makes 2 short planks look like a computer

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I don't. I could talk to somebody with multiple degrees, and have nothing what so ever in common with them. Same if I was talking to someone with the same qualification level as myself, if there is no common ground or shared interest, then it's likely to feel stilted and awkward.

Guess id say common sense, qualifications and just some kinda instinct from reading their posts or listening to a conversation

King's Crustacean

"I measure intelligence using a rolling pin."

Interesting point. Many youngsters believe that more mature people are 'thick' because they don't take to new technology like ducks to water. It is proven in quite a few studies that if 'tools' relevant to the period in which the subject grew up are used in tests then 'more mature' people show as good if not better intelligence levels than bright youngsters...... all is for ever contextual it seems.

Oh .....Did you mean COCK ?

Apologies, Granny.

I don't measure human adult intelligence but I do judge perceived intelligence through a quickness of mind, an interest in something and an ability to communicate that in some way.

Fact recitation is not enough for me as that is a function of memory. Contextualised fact is more a measure of intelligence.

I believe u can be highly skilled and smart in one area but totally lacking in another..

My grandad knows amazing information regarding wildlife and history but wouldnt have a clue on computers

By *he Master JMan  over a year ago

Southall

"I measure intelligence using a rolling pin."

I use the size of a cock the smaller the cock the more intelligent

I should be an oxbridge professor

"I measure intelligence using a rolling pin.

Interesting point. Many youngsters believe that more mature people are 'thick' because they don't take to new technology like ducks to water. It is proven in quite a few studies that if 'tools' relevant to the period in which the subject grew up are used in tests then 'more mature' people show as good if not better intelligence levels than bright youngsters...... all is for ever contextual it seems.

Oh .....Did you mean COCK ?"

I was thinking if they used it to measure cocks would they use it on the pastry without washing it first.

King's Crustacean

"I'm not saying my missus is thick but she makes 2 short planks look like a computer "

Kate's okay with computer jokes since it rejected your password as not long enough ...... your password was penis

we all have a modicum of intelligence .Skill is being able to put everyone at ease . Just remember the further one goes up a certain orifice the darker life becomes

"I believe u can be highly skilled and smart in one area but totally lacking in another..

My grandad knows amazing information regarding wildlife and history but wouldnt have a clue on computers"

Big up to the Grand dad!! My sort of bloke!!

King's Crustacean

"I don't. I could talk to somebody with multiple degrees, and have nothing what so ever in common with them. Same if I was talking to someone with the same qualification level as myself, if there is no common ground or shared interest, then it's likely to feel stilted and awkward. "

Yes. How would you decide how intelligent they were ?

I suspect that most people judge intelligence as a sliding scale with them as the medium.

..maybe life experiences?

King's Crustacean

"Apologies, Granny.

I don't measure human adult intelligence but I do judge perceived intelligence through a quickness of mind, an interest in something and an ability to communicate that in some way.

Fact recitation is not enough for me as that is a function of memory. Contextualised fact is more a measure of intelligence.

"

Agreed. Quiz teams are formed by the best memories not by the most intelligent.

"Apologies, Granny.

"

I would agree with the above, and also add that fact recitation these days is also down to the ability to use search engines, and in particular when quoting them back on the Internet.

Another snap-judgement I tend to make (rightly or wrongly) is the ability to hold a conversation and construct clear & concise sentences. This goes for virtually and in reality.

Intelligence is not measured by how many qualifications one holds, it is more down to speed & depth of though, and the ability to present it to others in a way in which they can follow & understand you.

King's Crustacean

"I believe u can be highly skilled and smart in one area but totally lacking in another..

My grandad knows amazing information regarding wildlife and history but wouldnt have a clue on computers"

Do you see skills as intelligence ?

King's Crustacean

"we all have a modicum of intelligence .Skill is being able to put everyone at ease . Just remember the further one goes up a certain orifice the darker life becomes "

How did you measure your modicum ?

King's Crustacean

"I suspect that most people judge intelligence as a sliding scale with them as the medium."

Possibly. So how do they decide who has more or less intelligence than themselves?

King's Crustacean

" ..maybe life experiences?

"

Shit experiences = shit intelligence ?

My grandad knows amazing information regarding wildlife and history but wouldnt have a clue on computers

Do you see skills as intelligence ?"

Yeah i do.. a process of learning and understanding has taken place and is applied logically into new situations

King's Crustacean

"Apologies, Granny.

I would agree with the above, and also add that fact recitation these days is also down to the ability to use search engines, and in particular when quoting them back on the Internet.

Another snap-judgement I tend to make (rightly or wrongly) is the ability to hold a conversation and construct clear & concise sentences. This goes for virtually and in reality.

Intelligence is not measured by how many qualifications one holds, it is more down to speed & depth of though, and the ability to present it to others in a way in which they can follow & understand you."

So you measure intelligence by the subjects ability in communication skills ?

Does this include the written word ?

This is a really difficult and interesting question. I'm going to mull it over for a while, but I will begin by saying that my first indicator is a person's ability to express themselves with a degree of eloquence and that academic qualifications mean very little.

"I don't. I could talk to somebody with multiple degrees, and have nothing what so ever in common with them. Same if I was talking to someone with the same qualification level as myself, if there is no common ground or shared interest, then it's likely to feel stilted and awkward. "

This

King's Crustacean

Do you see skills as intelligence ?

Yeah i do.. a process of learning and understanding has taken place and is applied logically into new situations"

Does repeating a learned routine require intelligence ?

I'd agree some learning has taken place with regard to skill acquisition but I don't agree that it follows that understanding is present.

King's Crustacean

"This is a really difficult and interesting question. I'm going to mull it over for a while, but I will begin by saying that my first indicator is a person's ability to express themselves with a degree of eloquence and that academic qualifications mean very little."

I agree with your second premise but not your first.

"This is a really difficult and interesting question. I'm going to mull it over for a while, but I will begin by saying that my first indicator is a person's ability to express themselves with a degree of eloquence and that academic qualifications mean very little."

Disagree that academic qualifications mean very little

Shit experiences = shit intelligence ?"

For me intelligence is having a common sense. The ability to deal with/handle situations. Some may have many qualifications and many other things it lack common sense.

Think there is a difference between intelligence and retaining knowledge.

Bra size every time

King's Crustacean

"This is a really difficult and interesting question. I'm going to mull it over for a while, but I will begin by saying that my first indicator is a person's ability to express themselves with a degree of eloquence and that academic qualifications mean very little.

Disagree that academic qualifications mean very little"

I'm assuming WHO means academic quals are not a good indicator of intelligence. I'd agree with him on that.

"This is a really difficult and interesting question. I'm going to mull it over for a while, but I will begin by saying that my first indicator is a person's ability to express themselves with a degree of eloquence and that academic qualifications mean very little.

I'm assuming WHO means academic quals are not a good indicator of intelligence. I'd agree with him on that. "

I understood his point and i disagreed.

Disagree that academic qualifications mean very little"

Then I would love to introduce you to my cousin. He has multiple degrees and two doctorates in physics and mathematics, yet is useless in social situations, never had any kind of job and is completely closed to new ideas and/or skills.

King's Crustacean

Shit experiences = shit intelligence ?

For me intelligence is having a common sense. The ability to deal with/handle situations. Some may have many qualifications and many other things it lack common sense.

Think there is a difference between intelligence and retaining knowledge.

"

To a degree. What about the highly intelligent deviant who thrives on handling situations their way ? What you describe is a social intelligence which certainly benefits harmonious living but it doesn't negate the high intelligence levels of those who live outside of conformity. If anything I'd consider them brighter.

King's Crustacean

I'm assuming WHO means academic quals are not a good indicator of intelligence. I'd agree with him on that.

I understood his point and i disagreed. "

Okay.

Then I would love to introduce you to my cousin. He has multiple degrees and two doctorates in physics and mathematics, yet is useless in social situations, never had any kind of job and is completely closed to new ideas and/or skills."

Surely that just means he is shy n lacking in confidence or people skills.. he has still had to use his grey matter to achieve the qualifications he has.

I'm not sure you can? Somebody, who is quite brilliant at one thing, maybe quite ridiculously bad at something else. I know this is the case for me. Having said that I do work, alongside people,who have degrees and letters galore, they perform open heart surgery, daily. Their common sense on the other hand, sometimes leaves an awful lot too be desired.

King's Crustacean

"Bra size every time"

Proportionate or Inproportionate ?

By *ee VianteWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

I don't measure it. It's obvious if it's there.

There are different types of intelligence.

Education and intelligence are not the same thing and there is not necessarily any link or correlation between the two.

Sometimes people can be attractive and appealing (to me) without being particularly intelligent. I often don't fancy intelligent people at all.

Attraction is rarely based on any single aspect.

I understood his point and i disagreed. "

Why? What's your view?

"So you measure intelligence by the subjects ability in communication skills ?

Does this include the written word ?"

To a degree yes, though I think I stated that I make a snap-judgement on people regarding their ability to communicate and apply that to how intelligent they might be. Rightly or wrongly.

I do believe that communication skills are directly attributable to intelligence, in part because they show a level of application at some point in that persons life, to have absorbed enough information to be able to then communicate it back to others.

That said, this is a hugely broad subject which my response doesn't fully cover at all.

King's Crustacean

"I'm not sure you can? Somebody, who is quite brilliant at one thing, maybe quite ridiculously bad at something else. I know this is the case for me. Having said that I do work, alongside people,who have degrees and letters galore, they perform open heart surgery, daily. Their common sense on the other hand, sometimes leaves an awful lot too be desired. "

What is it with this 'skills' thing? A few answers seem to be saying that the acquisition of skills or knowledge = intelligence.

I really don't go with that.

King's Crustacean

Though I agree totally with what you are saying.

King's Crustacean

"I don't measure it. It's obvious if it's there.

Education and intelligence are not the same thing and there is not necessarily any link or correlation between the two.

Sometimes people can be attractive and appealing (to me) without being particularly intelligent. I often don't fancy intelligent people at all.

Attraction is rarely based on any single aspect."

Im agreeing with all you say except the first line......

If it's obvious .... you've measured it.

Then I would love to introduce you to my cousin. He has multiple degrees and two doctorates in physics and mathematics, yet is useless in social situations, never had any kind of job and is completely closed to new ideas and/or skills.

Surely that just means he is shy n lacking in confidence or people skills.. he has still had to use his grey matter to achieve the qualifications he has. "

Yet he doesn't have the intelligence to adapt those academic abilities into a real world use.

Truro

"

Borderline autism?

"I'm not sure you can? Somebody, who is quite brilliant at one thing, maybe quite ridiculously bad at something else. I know this is the case for me. Having said that I do work, alongside people,who have degrees and letters galore, they perform open heart surgery, daily. Their common sense on the other hand, sometimes leaves an awful lot too be desired.

What is it with this 'skills' thing? A few answers seem to be saying that the acquisition of skills or knowledge = intelligence.

I really don't go with that."

I agree. The ability to learn to do something is entirely different from the ability to think and understand.

Borderline autism?

"

Polish eccentric!....

If it's obvious .... you've measured it."

Measuring suggests determining the "amount".

It's possible to decide if something is present or sufficient without actually measuring how much of it there is.

If you mean simply how do you decide if intelligence is there then I'd suggest identify or determine as terms, rather than measure.

King's Crustacean

It's possible to decide if something is present or sufficient without actually measuring how much of it there is."

Ascertaining it's presence in sufficient amounts is measuring.

e.g. Enough beer in a glass....

Think this is a great thread btw

King's Crustacean

"If you mean simply how do you decide if intelligence is there then I'd suggest identify or determine as terms, rather than measure."

No. Measure is the correct term.

i.e. Thick as two short planks

Pig Thick

Thick as shit

Dense

Bright as button ...etc

Truro

"I'm not sure you can? Somebody, who is quite brilliant at one thing, maybe quite ridiculously bad at something else. I know this is the case for me. Having said that I do work, alongside people,who have degrees and letters galore, they perform open heart surgery, daily. Their common sense on the other hand, sometimes leaves an awful lot too be desired.

I really don't go with that."

You can aquire or learn a skill. You are born with a level of intelligence. You either have it or you don't.

Some people can either understate or overstate their degree of intelligence to suit whatever situation they find themselves in.

You don't have to be intelligent to be successful, but intelligence will be more valuable than any skill.

"Apologies, Granny.

Intelligence is not measured by how many qualifications one holds, it is more down to speed & depth of though, and the ability to present it to others in a way in which they can follow & understand you.

Does this include the written word ?"

To a degree yes, though I think I stated that I make a snap-judgement on people regarding their ability to communicate and apply that to how intelligent they might be. Rightly or wrongly.

I do believe that communication skills are directly attributable to intelligence, in part because they show a level of application at some point in that persons life, to have absorbed enough information to be able to then communicate it back to others.

That said, this is a hugely broad subject which my response doesn't fully cover at all.

King's Crustacean

"Think this is a great thread btw "

Stop measuring the thread !

King's Crustacean

"Apologies, Granny.

Does this include the written word ?

That said, this is a hugely broad subject which my response doesn't fully cover at all."

Does repetition make someone twice as bright ?

"

I understood his point and i disagreed.

Why? What's your view?"

Think my first post gave a rough idea of my interpretation of what i think it means

By *S_PennyTV/TS  over a year ago

Selby

Me, I'm a proper genius me like.

Well actually I do have a PhD in theoretical physics. But that doesn't make me necessarily clever/intelligent. Just means I happen to have a good knack for doing research and self motivating through the difficult challenge that writing a PhD thesis is. So I wrote a book effectively. That's all.

As for common sense. Well I have some. Not as much as some people probably but I'm not a totally feckless nerd.

Intelligence can be harnessed in so many ways. I'm not sure I particularly like classifying it. It could be the skills of an artist or musician. The tactics of a sports person. Could be anything so not sure how you can really measure it beyond what is our traditional methods unfortunately.

It's possible to decide if something is present or sufficient without actually measuring how much of it there is.

Ascertaining it's presence in sufficient amounts is measuring.

e.g. Enough beer in a glass.... "

I disagree. Measuring indicates actively assessing a quantity.

Deciding if something is enough is a decision/judgement/assessment not a measurement.

A measurement is a more specific determination of quantity.

Enough is not a measurement.

"Does repetition make someone twice as bright ?"

No, but it seemed to have been lost and ignored so I wasn't sure you'd read it, hence the re-post.

Is sarcasm the lowest form of wit?

Southall

Attraction is rarely based on any single aspect."

The university of life doesn't issue certificates but you can learn a lot from it sometimes too much lesrning makes people unaware of what is around them

King's Crustacean

You can aquire or learn a skill. You are born with a level of intelligence. You either have it or you don't.

Some people can either understate or overstate their degree of intelligence to suit whatever situation they find themselves in.

You don't have to be intelligent to be successful, but intelligence will be more valuable than any skill.

"

Jack. You are about to plunge into a croc infested pool.

You have two companions.

A Pig Thick Croc wrestler of the highest skill who has never been beaten.

A University Croc Professor who can describe in detail how you shoujld wrestle a croc.

Who do you want with you ?

Southall

The university of life doesn't issue certificates but you can learn a lot from it sometimes too much lesrning makes people unaware of what is around them "

Before anyone else says it LEARNING bloody phones

Traditionally intelligence has been measured using a series of standardised tests to arrive at an IQ Score which is then used to compare people to assertain their potential academic achievements. This then is supposedly a marker to work out your job prospects, income and ultimately your mortality. Some would say in the modern world emotional intelligence plays a more impotant role in determining a person's standing than a series of tests performed at an early age hence the debate started here

Southall

The university of life doesn't issue certificates but you can learn a lot from it sometimes too much lesrning makes people unaware of what is around them "

Before anyone else says it LEARNING bloody phones

"I suspect that most people judge intelligence as a sliding scale with them as the medium.

Possibly. So how do they decide who has more or less intelligence than themselves?"

I suspect it's one of these things that humans do imperceptibly but would be very difficult to 'program'...

crude tools like I.Q tests..MENSA tests etc only scratch the surface... It's probably a field where people write papers and give their name to a new measuring technique that then gets superseded/discredited in later years.... For example, the 'Joe Blogs modified Rorschach ink blot method first presented at the IQ research conference in Hawaii'... pseudo-science IMO.... I work with the real thing.

I bet if googled I could find loads of said tests but I won't as I only use goggle to search for boobs

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

brunette ... yes

redhead .... yes

blonde .... erm .. get back to you

King's Crustacean

"Does repetition make someone twice as bright ?

No, but it seemed to have been lost and ignored so I wasn't sure you'd read it, hence the re-post.

Is sarcasm the lowest form of wit?"

According to Wilde it is but he also said it was the highest form of intelligence.

I'd say you need verbal intonation to detect sarcasm.

With the written word any detected sarcasm is implied by the reader.

Have you taken offence ?

Truro

You have two companions.

A University Croc Professor who can describe in detail how you shoujld wrestle a croc.

Who do you want with you ?"

The Uni Croc Prof

"If you mean simply how do you decide if intelligence is there then I'd suggest identify or determine as terms, rather than measure.

Pig Thick

Thick as shit

Dense

Bright as button ...etc "

I see what you mean and stand by my original statement. I don't measure it. If intelligence is there it's easily identifiable (usually). I don't determine the extent of the intelligence; I just decide if there's enough, (or if there's too much stupidity!)

King's Crustacean

"brunette ... yes

redhead .... yes

blonde .... erm .. get back to you"

Shush blondie.... the big people are talking.

King's Crustacean

You have two companions.

The Uni Croc Prof "

You're just a bloody lying deviant Jack.

Why ?

Learning is not intelligence.

The ability to learn, to think and to adapt is intelligence.

You have two companions.

The prof who tells you that the croc has weak muscles on opening and very powerful on closing and can be disabled by clamping its jaw shut with an elastic band

As opposed to to wrestler who sticks his head in its jaws after trying to apply a 'sleeper hold' after diving from the top rope

Im 94.3216% sure that's the correct answer

King's Crustacean

"If you mean simply how do you decide if intelligence is there then I'd suggest identify or determine as terms, rather than measure.

Pig Thick

Thick as shit

Dense

Bright as button ...etc

I see what you mean and stand by my original statement. I don't measure it. If intelligence is there it's easily identifiable (usually). I don't determine the extent of the intelligence; I just decide if there's enough, (or if there's too much stupidity!)"

Which is basically measuring ....

I agree. The ability to learn to do something is entirely different from the ability to think and understand."

I agree, but wouldn't surely a certain degree of intelligence, be needed in the first place, to have enough, ability to learn? Although I see what you are saying, some things could be learnt through repetition, I guess?

I'm getting a head ache

Even if intelligence was a linear spectrum...how would I know my relative position?

For me, intellect is

The ability to analyse an idea and the desire to seek and find the knowledge required to do so.

Entertain it from different perspectives without automatically accepting any of those disparate positions,

Making a judgement that can be rationalised - whilst always being open to the possibility that you may have erred.

Be willing to consider new information, perspectives and ideas, thus always being prepared to modify, both the process of analysis, as well as the conclusions reached.

Although I feel it's important to employ reason when forming personal opinions - it's just as important to have a big, charitable, sincere, forgiving and loving heart, the courage of your convictions, and a preparedness to fight for a better tomorrow for all.

That's the kinda person I'd like to have sex with....

In fact, that's the kinda person I'd like to be when I grow up!

King's Crustacean

You have two companions.

The prof who tells you that the croc has weak muscles on opening and very powerful on closing and can be disabled by clamping its jaw shut with an elastic band

As opposed to to wrestler who sticks his head in its jaws after trying to apply a 'sleeper hold' after diving from the top rope

Im 94.3216% sure that's the correct answer"

Did anyone say you could have an elastic band ?

You're making this up as you go along !

By *ucsparkMan  over a year ago

dudley

Being able to problem solve.

To format an opinion and know why.

To gather information and understand or change it into a format that they can understand.

To challenge the norm and push for answers.

The list is endless and constantly getting bigger.

Truro

You have two companions.

The Uni Croc Prof

Why ?"

Choose the wrestler and you choose certain death. No matter how good he is fighting humans, he will never overcome a croc. Choose the Prof, you will have a chance, not much of one but you'll have a chance.

King's Crustacean

I agree. The ability to learn to do something is entirely different from the ability to think and understand.

I agree, but wouldn't surely a certain degree of intelligence, be needed in the first place, to have enough, ability to learn? Although I see what you are saying, some things could be learnt through repetition, I guess?

I'm getting a head ache "

We all know the cure for that .....

According to Wilde it is but he also said it was the highest form of intelligence.

Have you taken offence ?"

No I haven't taken offence. This is all rather subjective.

King's Crustacean

"Even if intelligence was a linear spectrum...how would I know my relative position?

For me, intellect is

The ability to analyse an idea and the desire to seek and find the knowledge required to do so.

Entertain it from different perspectives without automatically accepting any of those disparate positions,

Making a judgement that can be rationalised - whilst always being open to the possibility that you may have erred.

Be willing to consider new information, perspectives and ideas, thus always being prepared to modify, both the process of analysis, as well as the conclusions reached.

Although I feel it's important to employ reason when forming personal opinions - it's just as important to have a big, charitable, sincere, forgiving and loving heart, the courage of your convictions, and a preparedness to fight for a better tomorrow for all.

"

x

I'm getting a head ache

We all know the cure for that ....."

I need too lay down in a darkened room? too much intelligence on this thread for moi

King's Crustacean

Have you taken offence ?

No I haven't taken offence. This is all rather subjective."

good

Been thinking about this.... I don't think I do measure intelligence in others. The only time would be when I was teaching/ training someone to do something. I would talk to them to assess their previous knowledge, and tailor my answers to how they responded to me. I would keep my instruction more basic for someone with no experience, and be more detailed with someone with experience. If it turned out they knew more than me I'd possibly ask them questions about the subject.

I have previously been told that it makes people look stupid if they ask questions. My response.... "Why?"

Selby

Ok I suppose if you take it back to its root then intelligence is the ability of a living organism to be able to think about an action and take that action. But then how do we include subconscious thought. Hmmmm. Do fish fir example subconsciously think I am keeping myself afloat by swimming or is it just a physical natural action?

"Even if intelligence was a linear spectrum...how would I know my relative position?

For me, intellect is

x "

Xx right back atcha ms crumpet

Pig Thick

Thick as shit

Dense

Bright as button ...etc

I see what you mean and stand by my original statement. I don't measure it. If intelligence is there it's easily identifiable (usually). I don't determine the extent of the intelligence; I just decide if there's enough, (or if there's too much stupidity!)

Which is basically measuring .... "

Nope.

I have yet to see a measuring jug marked with "some", "more", "enough", "too much".

I've not seen a recipe calling for "enough" flour.

Nobody asks for "enough" beer when ordering a drink at a bar.

You don't buy "some" fabric or "some" buttons.

A measurement is precise.

King's Crustacean

I'm getting a head ache

We all know the cure for that .....

I need too lay down in a darkened room? too much intelligence on this thread for moi "

Nah ...jamming your thumb in the kitchen drawer'll take your mind of it ....

King's Crustacean

Pig Thick

Thick as shit

Dense

Bright as button ...etc

Nope.

I have yet to see a measuring jug marked with "some", "more", "enough", "too much".

A measurement is precise."

A precise measurement is.

You have two companions.

Im 94.3216% sure that's the correct answer

Did anyone say you could have an elastic band ?

You're making this up as you go along !"

Lol

I assumed the Prof wasn't naked and could, therefore, use items of clothing... Belt, braces etc...

You didn't specify, naked when you framed the question

See.....almost impossible to test this pseudo stuff

King's Crustacean

You have two companions.

The Uni Croc Prof

Why ?

Choose the wrestler and you choose certain death. No matter how good he is fighting humans, he will never overcome a croc. Choose the Prof, you will have a chance, not much of one but you'll have a chance."

Jack.... Cough .. you pretty thing you xx He's an UNBEATEN CROC wrestler..... as STATED above .

Does this alter your choice ?

King's Crustacean

"Been thinking about this.... I don't think I do measure intelligence in others. The only time would be when I was teaching/ training someone to do something. I would talk to them to assess their previous knowledge, and tailor my answers to how they responded to me. I would keep my instruction more basic for someone with no experience, and be more detailed with someone with experience. If it turned out they knew more than me I'd possibly ask them questions about the subject.

I have previously been told that it makes people look stupid if they ask questions. My response.... "Why?""

It's pretty bloody stupid NOT to ask questions.

I'm getting a head ache "

Firstly, you don't actually have to do something to have the potential to do it. Intelligent people can fail to live up to their potential but still have the ability.

And yes, as you say, things can be learned by rote. Plus learning something doesn't mean you understand it or can apply the knowledge in anything other than the specific way it was learned.

I dont measure intelligence by every person that has 'professional' on their profile on here thats for sure lol.

Extrapolation is always a dodgy thing to do... I.e Unbeaten = will win

Interpolation FTW

Sydney Uni 'disclaimers' is another good-un lol

Pig Thick

Thick as shit

Dense

Bright as button ...etc

Nope.

A measurement is precise.

A precise measurement is."

Ok a measurement is more precise.

Looking at a glass and seeing there is beer in it is not measuring the beer. "Some" or "more than none" is not a measurement.

I don't consider how much intelligence is present so I don't measure. I observe and identify and decide if it's appealing.

Truro

You have two companions.

The Uni Croc Prof

Why ?

Choose the wrestler and you choose certain death. No matter how good he is fighting humans, he will never overcome a croc. Choose the Prof, you will have a chance, not much of one but you'll have a chance.

Jack.... Cough .. you pretty thing you xx He's an UNBEATEN CROC wrestler..... as STATED above .

Does this alter your choice ?"

No

You have two companions.

The Uni Croc Prof

Why ?

Does this alter your choice ?

No"

Next thread: how do you identify bloody-minded stubbornness?

Southall

"I suspect that most people judge intelligence as a sliding scale with them as the medium.

Possibly. So how do they decide who has more or less intelligence than themselves?

I suspect it's one of these things that humans do imperceptibly but would be very difficult to 'program'...

crude tools like I.Q tests..MENSA tests etc only scratch the surface... It's probably a field where people write papers and give their name to a new measuring technique that then gets superseded/discredited in later years.... For example, the 'Joe Blogs modified Rorschach ink blot method first presented at the IQ research conference in Hawaii'... pseudo-science IMO.... I work with the real thing.

I bet if googled I could find loads of said tests but I won't as I only use goggle to search for boobs"

Ecactly that I think I have crashed a thermonuclear geek weekend where they are going to discuss the biomedical advances of the human biometrics of the human body in relation to its humanoid interaction with the dyson hoover

King's Crustacean

How intelligent is that ?

King's Crustacean

That was to Jack.

I'll state my opinion on what it is as opposed to how I measure it, and then read others' views.

Intelligence is like blood pressure, it is something we all have. It can be low, high and anything in between.

Intelligence has nothing to do with age as a young child can have a higher intelligence than an adult, nor is it exclusive to humans.

In my opinion it is the rate at which one learns and the ability to apply whatever is learned and use it within the creature's environment. Learning comes from fields such as life experiences including emotional, and education.

King's Crustacean

"Being able to problem solve.

To format an opinion and know why.

To gather information and understand or change it into a format that they can understand.

To challenge the norm and push for answers.

The list is endless and constantly getting bigger. "

I think they are all good indicators

King's Crustacean

"I'll state my opinion on what it is as opposed to how I measure it, and then read others' views.

Intelligence is like blood pressure, it is something we all have. It can be low, high and anything in between.

Intelligence has nothing to do with age as a young child can have a higher intelligence than an adult, nor is it exclusive to humans.

In my opinion it is the rate at which one learns and the ability to apply whatever is learned and use it within the creature's environment. Learning comes from fields such as life experiences including emotional, and education."

Is a certain amount of innate intelligece present at birth ?

Can it be improved ? Lost ?

A great, intelligent, thread for once

63.4521% more intelligent than the last one

However, the 1980's BASIC source code, below, will clearly demonstrate where this is going

10 print "bbobs"

20 go to 10

"A great, intelligent, thread for once

However, the 1980's BASIC source code, below, will clearly demonstrate where this is going

10 print "bbobs"

20 go to 10

"

Syntax error?

King's Crustacean

10 print "bbobs"

20 go to 10

"

Cough .....snigger. bbobs ....

Sack the progammer !

King's Crustacean

10 Enlarge cock pics

20 3D print

30 Go To 10

I have no idea how you would measure it. Qualifications can be a guide but are in no means definitive. I have the grand total of 6 GCSEs but am far from stupid. crystal has 2 degrees and a post grad qualification but intellectually id say we are on a par. Academia was not for me and I'd laugh in the face of anyone that said I wasn't intelligent based on my lack of qualifications.

Southall

10 print "bbobs"

20 go to 10

"

Bloody hell

I've lost a whole morning googling this

I'm a bloody thicko

By *odareyouMan  over a year ago

not far from iceland,,,,,, tescos is nearer though :-) (near leeds)

"My girlfriend said, "Did you know, butterflies only live for two days?"

"Honey, I think that's a myth."

"No, it's definitely a butterfly."

10 print "bbobs"

20 go to 10

"

And also a demo of a bug and a typo brought on by 2014 technology (predictive txt)

King's Crustacean

"I have no idea how you would measure it. Qualifications can be a guide but are in no means definitive. I have the grand total of 6 GCSEs but am far from stupid. crystal has 2 degrees and a post grad qualification but intellectually id say we are on a par. Academia was not for me and I'd laugh in the face of anyone that said I wasn't intelligent based on my lack of qualifications.

"

Me too ! Woodwork ? Metalwork ? Drama ? Domestic Science? Childcare? and six more if i'd got maths and Inglesh

From reading the forum thread from start to finish the conclusion seems to be either you can't really quantify it or if you think you can, the next person will disagree with your rationale. And there are various types of intelligence.

It some ways it's like deciding if someone is attractive or not, which goes on here a lot. We think we can define it but we can't.

It's going to come down to the person being looked at and the person doing the looking. And if the person doing the looking say "yes I can confirm that person is beautiful" the next person might come along and say "not by my standards they're not"

I know people I regard as very bright who by some of the standards given here, other people might classify as "thick as shit" to plagiarise another thread. However who am I to assess someone's intelligence? Who are any of us?

What criteria are we using and how do we know how intelligent someone is if their level of intelligence seems beyond our own? Surely we cannot.

Are we all assuming that by posting here we're therefore intelligent because we're having reasoned debate? I don't know.

Fascinating though. Thanks Granny Crumpet.

You have two companions.

What does the question have to do with intelligence, other than the intelligence involved in making the choice?

Intelligence isn't always the best skill for a given job, at least not the best primary skill. For physical tasks, like croc wrestling, physical abilities would be more useful. Intelligence and a capacity to apply those abilities most effectively would be useful but the physical abilities themselves would be key.

Sometimes choosing the thicko is a sensible decision. Especially if he's fit as fuck and shit hot in bed

King's Crustacean

" "My girlfriend said, "Did you know, butterflies only live for two days?"

"Honey, I think that's a myth."

"No, it's definitely a butterfly."

"

If there's honey involved it's A B.

A persons ability to gauge the world around them and conduct themselves effectively based upon this, and of course their are different types of intelligence, likely based upon the environment they were learned from - for example, a person with street smarts might not be able to tell you how to split an atom, but is just the sort of friend you'd want if you were lost in a hostile part of town.

10 print "bbobs"

20 go to 10

Cough .....snigger. bbobs ....

Sack the progammer !"

Lol tru dat

Ps I do write software professionally too

Or should that be, unprofessionally lol

King's Crustacean

You have two companions.

What does the question have to do with intelligence, other than the intelligence involved in making the choice?

Intelligence isn't always the best skill for a given job, at least not the best primary skill. For physical tasks, like croc wrestling, physical abilities would be more useful. Intelligence and a capacity to apply those abilities most effectively would be useful but the physical abilities themselves would be key.

Sometimes choosing the thicko is a sensible decision. Especially if he's fit as fuck and shit hot in bed "

It was in response to Jack's statement that 'intelligence is more valuable than any skill'

King's Crustacean

"A persons ability to gauge the world around them and conduct themselves effectively based upon this, and of course their are different types of intelligence, likely based upon the environment they were learned from - for example, a person with street smarts might not be able to tell you how to split an atom, but is just the sort of friend you'd want if you were lost in a hostile part of town."

Agreed. It's all contextual.

Intelligence is not about education or qualifications, its about applying understanding. Emotional intelligence is about applying understanding of people, for instance.

Educate, is from the Latin root "to draw out", note that is not to "push in". So education is about drawing knowledge from a person to guide them to apply it.

Skill is not intelligence, its formed using muscle memory and neuron paths. Repeat something 300 times and it becomes natural ... Example, driving a car. Driving a car needs some intelligence, but its mainly skill.

Measuring intelligence requires a test that is something the person has never seen before that they have to solve. They then have to draw on their knowledge, understanding and skill and apply the combination to the new problem. It also requires seeing paths in the future and predicting outcomes and then selecting the path of best outcome. .... Also, speed is part of the measure, the solution needs to be found in a timely manner.

You have two companions.

Sometimes choosing the thicko is a sensible decision. Especially if he's fit as fuck and shit hot in bed

It was in response to Jack's statement that 'intelligence is more valuable than any skill'

"

Ahhh I missed that bit. This thread is moving quite fast. And I've had no coffee yet!

"I'll state my opinion on what it is as opposed to how I measure it, and then read others' views.

In my opinion it is the rate at which one learns and the ability to apply whatever is learned and use it within the creature's environment. Learning comes from fields such as life experiences including emotional, and education.

Can it be improved ? Lost ?"

I believe intelligence is innate (ie the rate and ability mentioned earlier, though becomes more apparent to observers as the child gets older). I don't know whether it can be lost but it can be impeded through ill-health. My examples are mental health issues and neurological conditions such as a stroke.

King's Crustacean

"Intelligence is not about education or qualifications, its about applying understanding. Emotional intelligence is about applying understanding of people, for instance.

Educate, is from the Latin root "to draw out", note that is not to "push in". So education is about drawing knowledge from a person to guide them to apply it.

Skill is not intelligence, its formed using muscle memory and neuron paths. Repeat something 300 times and it becomes natural ... Example, driving a car. Driving a car needs some intelligence, but its mainly skill.

Measuring intelligence requires a test that is something the person has never seen before that they have to solve. They then have to draw on their knowledge, understanding and skill and apply the combination to the new problem. It also requires seeing paths in the future and predicting outcomes and then selecting the path of best outcome. .... Also, speed is part of the measure, the solution needs to be found in a timely manner. "

I agree to a large extent with all of what you say.

Put simply ( and I prefer simply ) Intelligence is not how we behave when we know what to do; it is how we behave when we don't know what to do.

In other words applying learning to unfamiliar situations shows degrees of intelligence.

Not pulling the handle for the nth time in the manner in which you were shown x years ago.

Oh ... and not taking instructions from a croc wrestling professor.

King's Crustacean

I believe intelligence is innate (ie the rate and ability mentioned earlier, though becomes more apparent to observers as the child gets older). I don't know whether it can be lost but it can be impeded through ill-health. My examples are mental health issues and neurological conditions such as a stroke. "

What about just wasting it. Underexercising it .....say like nattering for an hour in a swingers forum ?

Well im thick as fuck to be honest, passed nothing in school, but I am a practical person, rebuild cars, trained and qualified heating engineer, and now a top qualified adult social worker. Intelligence cant be measured every one has something

"Intelligence is not about education or qualifications, its about applying understanding. Emotional intelligence is about applying understanding of people, for instance.

Measuring intelligence requires a test that is something the person has never seen before that they have to solve. They then have to draw on their knowledge, understanding and skill and apply the combination to the new problem. It also requires seeing paths in the future and predicting outcomes and then selecting the path of best outcome. .... Also, speed is part of the measure, the solution needs to be found in a timely manner.

Put simply ( and I prefer simply ) Intelligence is not how we behave when we know what to do; it is how we behave when we don't know what to do.

In other words applying learning to unfamiliar situations shows degrees of intelligence.

Not pulling the handle for the nth time in the manner in which you were shown x years ago.

Oh ... and not taking instructions from a croc wrestling professor. "

I wouldn't choose the croc prof as by the time he's explained to me what to do I would be dead.

I'd choose the croc wrestler and watch what he does. I would learn from him and try to apply that learning. The croc wrestler may have good cognition of what he is doing and able to advise too.

By *wiftieeMan  over a year ago

near Glasgow

Discovered/realised that intelligence and education count for little with regard to defining a person.

I believe intelligence is innate (ie the rate and ability mentioned earlier, though becomes more apparent to observers as the child gets older). I don't know whether it can be lost but it can be impeded through ill-health. My examples are mental health issues and neurological conditions such as a stroke.

What about just wasting it. Underexercising it .....say like nattering for an hour in a swingers forum ? "

the time may be wasted but it hasn't touched the intelligence.

King's Crustacean

"Me, I'm a proper genius me like.

Well actually I do have a PhD in theoretical physics. But that doesn't make me necessarily clever/intelligent. Just means I happen to have a good knack for doing research and self motivating through the difficult challenge that writing a PhD thesis is. So I wrote a book effectively. That's all.

As for common sense. Well I have some. Not as much as some people probably but I'm not a totally feckless nerd.

Intelligence can be harnessed in so many ways. I'm not sure I particularly like classifying it. It could be the skills of an artist or musician. The tactics of a sports person. Could be anything so not sure how you can really measure it beyond what is our traditional methods unfortunately.

"

ooooooo I missed this before. Classifying intelligence now there's a thought.

What are 'our' traditional methods of measuring intelligence ?

King's Crustacean

What about just wasting it. Underexercising it .....say like nattering for an hour in a swingers forum ?

the time may be wasted but it hasn't touched the intelligence. "

Ha! Quite Right ! I was going out - only shopping but out. I'm still here.... I made an intelligent decision to do something stupid for an hour or so.... Just call me Nancy Sinatra.

King's Crustacean

"Discovered/realised that intelligence and education count for little with regard to defining a person. "

That clever bitch let you down again ?

Ha! Quite Right ! I was going out - only shopping but out. I'm still here.... I made an intelligent decision to do something stupid for an hour or so.... Just call me Nancy Sinatra. "

You have intelligent kinky boots?

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"Don't google, meriam, oxford, urban or any other reference bar your own head and gut ...

What is intelligence in a human adult? "

It's the ability to reason, the capacity to think logically and apply that to solving novel problems.

you can tell by the type of job they do though some people have quite good jobs and are still quite stupid and imature and make the same stupid mistakes in life.

King's Crustacean

Ha! Quite Right ! I was going out - only shopping but out. I'm still here.... I made an intelligent decision to do something stupid for an hour or so.... Just call me Nancy Sinatra.

You have intelligent kinky boots? "

Nope.....Clever Clogs

Well in this country iv found most peopel would say the job a person holds classes to their intellect, I worked for a company paying people sitting at a desk answering a phone and taking orders 37g a year, but on the floor we were making major componets for off shore rigs and rail companys, skilled jobs that had to have high qualifications and we got 15g a year. Basics in this country shirt and tie is considered for the more inelegant

King's Crustacean

I want a 37k job for sitting at a desk.

I can sit at a desk!

Where's the desk.

See me sit ! Im good at sitting!

By *r Mahogany70Man  over a year ago

Leicester

I think one way of measuring intelligence is to start an original, interesting, thought-provoking thread and then manage it so it sticks to the subject and doesn't go off at a tangent.

Step forward Granny-Crumpet and receive your much deserved plaudits.

Special mention to Voluptuous Virago and Non-vanillaCupcake for their contributions.

"I think one way of measuring intelligence is to start an original, interesting, thought-provoking thread and then manage it so it sticks to the subject and doesn't go off at a tangent.

Special mention to Voluptuous Virago and Non-vanillaCupcake for their contributions. "

Here here... I very much enjoyed your efforts x

"I think one way of measuring intelligence is to start an original, interesting, thought-provoking thread and then manage it so it sticks to the subject and doesn't go off at a tangent.

Special mention to Voluptuous Virago and Non-vanillaCupcake for their contributions. "

By *R and Sue EllenCouple  over a year ago

Near the City

You should measure everything with a Sky remote!!!

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

"You should measure everything with a Sky remote!!!"

What they said

It's just that some people don't reach as far as the on switch and others haven't even put the batteries in...

A wise man told me "Common sense isn't common." For me, intelligence is the ability to see things from a different perspective.

You have intelligent kinky boots?

Nope.....Clever Clogs "

very good

By *ScotsmanMan  over a year ago

ayrshire

. . .in old money. . . .

Truro

Oh ... and not taking instructions from a croc wrestling professor. "

Granny, you said the water was infested with crocs. An infestation means "many".

An undefeated croc wrestler would stand no chance against "many" crocs, no matter how good he was.

I would consult with the Uni croc expert to establish my best chance of survival. I already know that the croc wrestler is capable of putting up a fight one to one, but I have my doubts about his chances when out numbered.

The Uni croc expert might not be able to help me, but unless I consult him I wont know that.

I stand by my original choice.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

If someone is loving, warm and has a good sense of humour they come high on my intelligence scale. The iq stuff is nonsense.

i measure how intelligent someone is by getting one of those metre long rulers and hitting them in the head

if they duck they're intelligent

if i hit them they're not

"A wise man told me "Common sense isn't common." For me, intelligence is the ability to see things from a different perspective."

That's the best description ever x self awareness rules x

Well said x

That reminds me of another wise man, Aristotle is reported to have said:

'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.'

I suppose here is the distinction between a mind that has been 'educated' and one that has been 'schooled'.

I thought most men on Fab used a Sky remote or Lynx can ?

Selby

"Me, I'm a proper genius me like.

ooooooo I missed this before. Classifying intelligence now there's a thought.

What are 'our' traditional methods of measuring intelligence ?"

Well I'm glad someone did eventually read my post then, I feared I'd got lost in all the talk of professors and crocodiles.

has anyone said with a sky remote?

just checkin

By *astpoetMan  over a year ago

where the world takes me

Intelligence to me is open mindedness, curiosity, the absence of bigotry (in all forms) and the ability to realise that non of us know as much as we think we do.

What i definitely don't think is intelligence is the ability to spell or use correct grammar, since that is just something that's learnt (and besides if it was the only measure then people like Einstein who were dyslexic would be thought of as stupid!)

The "common sense" thing i tend to think of as a red herring though, since it's far too subjective and some people will hide bigotry, xenophobia and small minded racism behind the banner of common sense.

Oh and then there's emotional intelligence which is the most impressive (and often the hardest to find!)

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I measure intelligence by a willingness to learn and that invovles listening and not prejudging.

Intelligence is not the same as academic ability in my opinion I know a lot of people with not a qualification to their name whose intelligence is huge, I also know some people with loads of qualifications whose intelligence is huge too

By *astpoetMan  over a year ago

where the world takes me

"I measure intelligence by a willingness to learn and that invovles listening and not prejudging.

Intelligence is not the same as academic ability in my opinion I know a lot of people with not a qualification to their name whose intelligence is huge, I also know some people with loads of qualifications whose intelligence is huge too "

Absolutely spot on, same with tests like MENSA that are actually fairly easy to learn with practice.

Besides until you reach Masters or PHD level academic study is much more of a memory test than real intelligence in my opinion.

Not to belittle people, i actually have two very different degrees but think they're more of a training than they are a sign of intelligence.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"

Oh and then there's emotional intelligence which is the most impressive (and often the hardest to find!)"

Yes that is the most difficult to come across.

It seems a good measure on here of lack of it, would be how often you ask the same question and expect a different answer

Selby

"I measure intelligence by a willingness to learn and that invovles listening and not prejudging.

Intelligence is not the same as academic ability in my opinion I know a lot of people with not a qualification to their name whose intelligence is huge, I also know some people with loads of qualifications whose intelligence is huge too "

That's exactly what I was meaning. I'm academically intelligent but that is not the limit of my intelligence, nor does it make me any more intelligent than someone with a different manifestation of their intelligence. I'm just different and intelligent in my little niche branch of academia. One of my friends who is truly probably the quickest and smartest person I know was a fighter pilot. The ability to think at the speed they have to is astounding. But then again there are so many forms of intelligence that aren't recognised by formal means. When it comes to people though. Ultimately for me, it means I can have a stimulating conversation with them. And the this the first thread that meets that criteria I've seen for some time.

I don't. I'm not intelligent enough to measure someone elses

By *ScotsmanMan  over a year ago

ayrshire

. .study and scrutinize them while they do everyday things like. .playing poker or drinking yards of ale. . . .

» Add a new message to this topic