FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > San Francisco trip advice please

San Francisco trip advice please

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

We are spending a few nights in SF and are looking for somewhere 'interesting' to stay..

We are thinking of staying in the Castro district as its the gay/lesbian centre it seems... Probably more lively?

Or maybe the original hippy/beatnik area if there is one?

We will do the tourist thing no doubt, but would like to stay somewhere more to our taste and maybe not so mainstream...

Any tips would be great

Thanks

X

J n L

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"We are spending a few nights in SF and are looking for somewhere 'interesting' to stay..

We are thinking of staying in the Castro district as its the gay/lesbian centre it seems... Probably more lively?

Or maybe the original hippy/beatnik area if there is one?

We will do the tourist thing no doubt, but would like to stay somewhere more to our taste and maybe not so mainstream...

Any tips would be great

Thanks

X

J n L"

i can on give you a couple of tips about san fran

1) take a brolly... it rains... a lot!!!

2) dont freak out if there is a quake of 3.0... the locals will laugh at you... only freak out if they freak out!!!

3) dont travel into oakland..... leave it like that!!!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

San Francisco is a lovely place, but it has it's faults.

I'm sorry.

Thanx guys

Going in summer as part of a PCH road trip

So I may be able to say 'did the earth move for you dahhhhhling' lol

Pretty compact city it seems, so I'm thinking normal trip advisor checks will suffice..

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

So I may be able to say 'did the earth move for you dahhhhhling' lol

"

see... thats what you will be thinking is the funny thing to say in your head....

what will actually happen is there will be an quake in the 2.0-3.0 range and you will go

"arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh"

and basically shit yourself!

and the locals will laugh at you........

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

I'm there now.

Hippy/Beatnik area still exists but is small and no hotels.

Not sure about hotels in the gay area. Some funky clubs but didn't see any hotels except a couple of pay by hour motels!!!

I'm staying in Fishermans Wharf. Lively, but commercial.

Hasn't rained yet. Been a bit chilly, glad I brought a jumper.

"I'm there now.

Hippy/Beatnik area still exists but is small and no hotels.

Not sure about hotels in the gay area. Some funky clubs but didn't see any hotels except a couple of pay by hour motels!!!

I'm staying in Fishermans Wharf. Lively, but commercial.

Hasn't rained yet. Been a bit chilly, glad I brought a jumper.

"

Coolio

Yes looks like there are no hotels in the gay area anyway...I'm just looking at bog standard hotels

Probably on the cheaper scale too as its only a bed really...not sure if we are doing 3 or 4 nights yet...I'll book summat in the morning

Hope you have a fab trip

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Our summer time is their poorer season for weather, with the frequent mists making it chilly. It is an interesting city. Id avoid fishermans wharf, as I see it as a dump, though it sounds nice - dont get a hotel there. They have excellent public transport, with BART Trains from the airport about half an hour and about 5 pounds to downtown. I know this city really well, as have many friends there and can give loads of tips. Id not stay by castro though, and it has become more mixed straight and gay recently. It is just a few mins on the subway or trolleys from downtown, so can visit easily. Book early for a trip to al catraz, as it get booked very quickly. You can take a ferry to sausalito and pass near to it, for much less. Get out of the city to see the giant redwoods, they are awesome. Im happy to give lots of advice. Have a great trip!

"Our summer time is their poorer season for weather, with the frequent mists making it chilly. It is an interesting city. Id avoid fishermans wharf, as I see it as a dump, though it sounds nice - dont get a hotel there. They have excellent public transport, with BART Trains from the airport about half an hour and about 5 pounds to downtown. I know this city really well, as have many friends there and can give loads of tips. Id not stay by castro though, and it has become more mixed straight and gay recently. It is just a few mins on the subway or trolleys from downtown, so can visit easily. Book early for a trip to al catraz, as it get booked very quickly. You can take a ferry to sausalito and pass near to it, for much less. Get out of the city to see the giant redwoods, they are awesome. Im happy to give lots of advice. Have a great trip! "

Top tips x

I was speaking to a chap last weekend in NY (ohh get me lol)... He lived in SF and said its a must-do to go north.... So that's two votes for big wood lol

Bloody hard sorting this out.....

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

I'd echo most of that. We are near the fronf at Fisherman's Wharf and it is a bit 'Blackpool in the summer' ish.

Alcatraz was booked for the week by Tuesday, so book in advance if you want to see it. We went out to Muir Woods which was totally amazing, some of the trees are huuuuge. But again, if you can hire a car do so, because the organised trips don't give you long enough there.

The food here is cheap and plentiful. Fishermans wharf does do some amazing seafood, including clam chowder in a bread bowl, which is lovely.

I've just stuffed myself stupid in Chinatown for $10 including drinks.

By *ScotsmanMan  over a year ago

ayrshire

. . .visit Karl maldens grave. . .they've made his nose into a skate park. . . .

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The coldest winter I ever had was a summer in San Francisco.

We stayed in china town in a Chinese hotel. It was brilliant. If I remember the name I'll post it. It bordered the italian district and everything was accessible from there. Transport links and cabs are very good. One of our favourite American cities. You'll have a great time where ever you stay.

Thanks guys....great advice

Well I'm driving from LA so will have transport for the 2 weeks

And I will be skating the new park on Venice beach so I will have my board with me too.... Result

As for graves... My better half wants to visit Marylns in LA ... Eek

Central

Though you've got your own transport, the roads in SF do get very busy, especially the interstates - motorways - which snarl up from around 3pm and before, especially if going over the bridges. f you stay in SF city, then it can be great to get out of it, for a rest

As said earlier, the public transport there is massively better than LA. The BART is the main system you'd use - underground, but MUNI supplements this, as well as the cable cars - an absolute must of course!!, and tons of buses.

BART goes over the Berkeley, about 20 minutes, where it goes above ground, across the estuary, and it's a chilled university town suburb. The uni is great to look around, and the side streets have some good shops.

If you don't get a ticket for Alcatraz, the ferry goes every few minutes to Sausalito, a superb small coastal town. The ferry passes near to Alcatraz, so good for photos, and you'll see Golden Gate bridge too - subject to the mists. Have a browse around Sausalito, coffee/snack/beer etc and take the ferry back. Even if you do get to the prison, then a trip is still a decent cheap excursion.

Consider a b&b, perhaps somewhere near to Golden Gate park. This park is huge, bigger than Central Park, New York. It's fairly close to the Castro district, depending on which bit you may stay near. There's a lovely spot, the National Aids memorial area, that puts your mind onto the terrible losses that have decimated the gay communities there, and others m/f nationally.

The Botanical Gardens link off the park, and interesting if you like plants. Again, it's refreshing to be around more open space/natural things, if you've been around city life. Take a look at the California Academy of Sciences, located in the park too, as a museum. An awesome building, it's stunning too!

Muir Woods is one of the best places for the Redwoods. You'd have seen this on Planet of the Apes, if you saw the recent film. This is a drive, over Golden Gate bridge, and there are some interesting things on the way there and back, such as stopping to see the coast and wildlife.

Parking is a bit of a nightmare in SF, so research that, and check on rates, depending on where you stay. Some of the shops do discounted parking, such as the Westfield centre shopping centre, on Market and 4th St.

If you're doing shopping, then Macys - Union Square, offers international visitors a discount card -take your passport. Some hotels also do bloomingdales (in Westfield shop centre) discounts too.

Alot, but not all, bi and gay life is Castro area. It became uber-cool, so it is often under deluge from straights, especially at weekends, so pick your time accordingly.

Sex shops in SF tend to be a little expensive, imo - perhaps because there's a huge market, and also as silicon valley has thousands of staff living in the city, who are shipped out each day in buses, boats etc, and they earn mega-bucks.

You will see a lot of homeless, and the occasional naked or near naked person. Whilst nudity was recently outlawed, you still see an occasional guy with it all out. There are some known as the Castro nudists, and may wear a cock sock or something similar, as last year there were arrests.

There are clothing optional beaches around. Baker beach is one of them - make sure you know the weather forecast.

It's possible to be in summer heat, such as August, pop into a bar, and by the time you exit, the summer mist has enveloped the city and it's cold and damp. Many locals prefer to leave in summer time, and disappear to warmer spots. The heat in the inland hills pulls in the cooler air, which can create a fairly thick fog. Air quality in SF is very good, due to it being surrounded by water.

The city has regular small quakes, as others mention - they're nothing, just minor tremors, if you even notice them. New buildings are well constructed, and are earthquake safer.

Do visit some of the districts - don't just rely on map distance, as what may appear close could take quite a lot of walking, due to the steep hills. This is tiring too - consider the buses, where the underground doesn't have a network.

I know a fair few hotels and places to stay, so can give some feedback.

Central

Should have said, BART trains go over to Berkeley.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

avoid the jail on the rock

it's a great city, enjoy.

Castro is fun

» Add a new message to this topic