FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > A mixed up day

A mixed up day

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *octor Delerium OP   Man  over a year ago

Bristol

It's Easter Sunday, 420 Day and, mixed up in this, Adolf Hitler's birthday; he would be 125 years old and wouldn't be getting a birthday card from me.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Why is it called 420?

Why is it a mixed up day? Easter moves around so over the 125 years Easter will have coincided with Hitler's birthday at times.

By *aster of a mindCouple  over a year ago

York

"Why is it called 420?

Why is it a mixed up day? Easter moves around so over the 125 years Easter will have coincided with Hitler's birthday at times.

"

I think 420 has something to do with drugs...but am willing to be corrected.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"Why is it called 420?

I think 420 has something to do with drugs...but am willing to be corrected."

I understand the co-opting of April 20th (4th month, 20th day) but I don't understand where the 420 comes from. As we can't discuss illegal substances I'm not interested in that, just the origin of the term.

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

There was an article about the significance of 420 on the BBC news page last week. It involved a group of Californians (who else?) who used to meet at twenty past four and so on. The most interesting thing in the article was a mile post in Colorado (I think) that now says 419.9 mi as it kept getting pinched when it said 420

By *octor Delerium OP   Man  over a year ago

Bristol

From 'Cute Calendar':

Weed Day or 420 is on April 20, 2014. April 20 has evolved into a counterculture holiday in North America, where people gather to celebrate and consume cannabis. Some events have a political nature to them, advocating for the decriminalization of non-medical cannabis in the United States. 420, 4:20, or 4/20 is primarily a term used in North America and refers to the consumption of cannabis and, by extension, a way to identify oneself with cannabis subculture. Observances based on the number include the time (4:20 pm) as well as the date (April 20).

The earliest use of the term began among a group of teenagers in San Rafael, California in 1971. The group first used the term in connection to a fall 1971 plan to search for an abandoned cannabis crop that they had learned about. They designated the Louis Pasteur statue on the grounds of San Rafael High School as their meeting place, and 4:20 pm as their meeting time. The group referred to this plan with the phrase "4:20 Louis". Multiple failed attempts to find the crop eventually shortened their phrase to simply "4:20", which ultimately evolved into a codeword that the teens used to mean pot-smoking in general.

Cannabis, also known as marijuana and , refers to preparations of the Cannabis plant intended for use as a psychoactive drug and as medicine. Since the early 20th century cannabis has been subject to legal restrictions with the possession, use, and sale of cannabis preparations containing psychoactive cannabinoids currently illegal in most countries of the world; the United Nations has said that cannabis is the most used illicit drug in the world. (With material from: Wikipedia)

I spotted the Hyde Park rally on the Internet and the coincidence of AH's birthday came up via a posting on a website that I write for.

Easter does change, from year to year, my comment was purely that today reflects 'good', 'bad' and 'generally illegal but we wish it wasn't', dependent on your own point of view.

» Add a new message to this topic