FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Downsizing - what would you get rid of?

Downsizing - what would you get rid of?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *opping_candy OP   Woman  over a year ago

West Yorkshire

Afternoon all!

Made a big decision last week and as a result we will be moving house in about 5 weeks.

In the short term we (me plus 2 little ones) are going to be living in a 1 bedroom flat until I find us somewhere to rent in the area we want to be in.

So I have a lot of sorting out to do! I will be able to keep a certain amount of excess stuff in storage at my parents' but don't want to take the piss.

Which leads me to my question....If you had to drastically reduce the amount of belongings you had, what would be the first to go and what would you absolutely have to keep?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

stuff id keep is my bed, tv, laptop, washing machine, fridge/freezer

all my child needs is her bed (although guess she could sleep in mine) and a few select toys

ive bookcases, storage units, shelves with stuff i rarely use or look at, could get rid of a sofa as id just sit on my bed.

chest of drawers and wardrobe id sell off and live outta suitcase if its only temporary arrangements

"Afternoon all!

Made a big decision last week and as a result we will be moving house in about 5 weeks.

In the short term we (me plus 2 little ones) are going to be living in a 1 bedroom flat until I find us somewhere to rent in the area we want to be in.

So I have a lot of sorting out to do! I will be able to keep a certain amount of excess stuff in storage at my parents' but don't want to take the piss.

Which leads me to my question....If you had to drastically reduce the amount of belongings you had, what would be the first to go and what would you absolutely have to keep? "

Be practical. Keep the things you couldn't afford to replace and ditch things that are on its lasts legs anyway.

If you're holding onto items for memories sake, take photos of them and save on cd. Precious items to pass down, obviously stay.

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

serious downsize .. ex and whole house

books, bookcases, glass cabinets, ornaments, teddie bears, sideboard which is massive, pictures.

My motto was if it hasn't been used in a year get rid hence why I am single

By *aravancoupleMan  over a year ago

A Secret Hideaway In the caravan of love

Hubby

By *arrasCouple  over a year ago

North West

My living in a flat quick-start essential items guide.

Electrical:

Microwave; Toaster; Kettle; Fridge, cooker & Washing Machine (try and rent somewhere with these 3 already); Juicer (Smoothies and Soup = Win keeps kids healthy and smiling).

Furniture:

Couch, Coffee table, TV&Stand, Bookcase, Bed, Clothes rails (Ikea £20), clothes horse to dry stuff in front of fire/ radiator.

Soft Furnishings:

Pillows, Blankets, Towels, Tea Towels, Good set of knives (double-plus good), Plastic bowls etc (unbreakable and light if you need to move again).

Everything else I'd sell to pay for the new stuff I needed. Unless it had some major sentimental value.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

other human beings

West Yorkshire

"My living in a flat quick-start essential items guide.

Electrical:

Microwave; Toaster; Kettle; Fridge, cooker & Washing Machine (try and rent somewhere with these 3 already); Juicer (Smoothies and Soup = Win keeps kids healthy and smiling).

Furniture:

Couch, Coffee table, TV&Stand, Bookcase, Bed, Clothes rails (Ikea £20), clothes horse to dry stuff in front of fire/ radiator.

Soft Furnishings:

Pillows, Blankets, Towels, Tea Towels, Good set of knives (double-plus good), Plastic bowls etc (unbreakable and light if you need to move again).

Everything else I'd sell to pay for the new stuff I needed. Unless it had some major sentimental value."

As it happens the flat we're going to does have a fridge cooker and washer but I will be putting my own cooker and washer in the cellar at my parents for when I find a house. I might get a tenner for my fridge freezer if I'm lucky and I can have the one that is in the flat when we move out

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

I would get rid of the stuff I keep "just in case".

West Yorkshire

"I would get rid of the stuff I keep "just in case"."

Great tip femme I have just put a load of plastic tubs, random cutlery and loose batteries lurking in kitchen drawers and cupboards that I've kept 'just in case', in the bin pile!

» Add a new message to this topic