FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Let's not forget the true meaning of Easter

Let's not forget the true meaning of Easter

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hyllyphylly OP   Man  over a year ago

Bradford

Here is it summarised....

A man nailed a rabbit to a cross and force fed it chocolate. A couple of days later the rabbit hatched out of an egg

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Here is it summarised....

A man nailed a rabbit to a cross and force fed it chocolate. A couple of days later the rabbit hatched out of an egg

"

At least it's a more believable conspiracy theory than what the church has been ramming down peoples' throats all these years!

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"

Hehe I'm nicking that!!!

If you have nothing good to say try saying nothing.

What? No, that's all wrong.

Jesus came back as a zombie.

Whether you care to believe in religion or not, the fact is that today is is to commemorate the horrific death of a real person who was persecuted because of his beliefs, tortured and then publicly killed in a horrific way for doing no more than trying to help the less fortunate.

People today are being killed and tortured all over the world. Yet many that want to mock are the first to protest about human rights infringements today. It doesn't matter to me if you believe in Allah, Buddah, Jesus Christ, the Old Testament or any other religion or nothing at all, I respect your views and believe it is wrong to mock.

If you honestly think what you put is funny I feel sorry for you.

By *andACouple  over a year ago

glasgow

"Whether you care to believe in religion or not, the fact is that today is is to commemorate the horrific death of a real person who was persecuted because of his beliefs, tortured and then publicly killed in a horrific way for doing no more than trying to help the less fortunate.

People today are being killed and tortured all over the world. Yet many that want to mock are the first to protest about human rights infringements today. It doesn't matter to me if you believe in Allah, Buddah, Jesus Christ, the Old Testament or any other religion or nothing at all, I respect your views and believe it is wrong to mock.

"

That's not actually true though. It's to commemorate the supposed resurrection of the supposed son of god. It has nothing to do with torture or human rights. If it was to do with what you claim then why do we only celebrate this one instance of someone being put to death and not the many, many others?

To claim that that taking the mickey out of Easter somehow mocks those who are being killed today is trying to make a connection where none exists. There are enough things in the world to be offended about without trying to invent new ones.

Its all a load of tosh, easter was invented by wolworths to sell chocolate. I know cos it said in Viz!!!

To be honest , whatever your belief or not , the crucifixion of Jesus was not funny at all .

"Whether you care to believe in religion or not, the fact is that today is is to commemorate the horrific death of a real person who was persecuted because of his beliefs, tortured and then publicly killed in a horrific way for doing no more than trying to help the less fortunate.

"

By *hyllyphylly OP   Man  over a year ago

Bradford

"

While I am not religious at all, (Although I have been baptised Catholic in Ireland), my comment was not taking the piss out of torture victims. It was more about taking the piss out of the Easter Bunny, Easter Eggs and hot cross buns. I did not mention Jesus at all.

By *ihimbiherCouple  over a year ago

lightwater

Get a life you lot

While I am not religious at all, (Although I have been baptised Catholic in Ireland), my comment was not taking the piss out of torture victims. It was more about taking the piss out of the Easter Bunny, Easter Eggs and hot cross buns. I did not mention Jesus at all."

No you didn't. But I did

Jeez people, chill out. What's that phrase from the bible? 'Turn the other cheek'

"Get a life you lot"

By *ibbyhunterCouple  over a year ago

keighley

if someone had started a thread mocking other religious festivals such as diwali. people would be rightly be outraged and offended, so why are christian religious festivals seen as an easy target.

That's not actually true though. It's to commemorate the supposed resurrection of the supposed son of god. It has nothing to do with torture or human rights. If it was to do with what you claim then why do we only celebrate this one instance of someone being put to death and not the many, many others?

To claim that that taking the mickey out of Easter somehow mocks those who are being killed today is trying to make a connection where none exists. There are enough things in the world to be offended about without trying to invent new ones."

That's very true

By *ightkitty4uWoman  over a year ago

Epsom

I just don't understand how Christmas, his birthday, is the same date every year, yet the day he die moves about....

"if someone had started a thread mocking other religious festivals such as diwali. people would be rightly be outraged and offended, so why are christian religious festivals seen as an easy target."

By *uzi Jones 26Woman  over a year ago

The Devil's Lair

Each to their own. If you dont like somebody's posts dont reply, it's as simple as that.

It makes me laugh how many people on here are so self-righteous when it comes to faith . . . Erm, you are on a swingers site, you can't be that devout.

I see lots of glass houses

Yer i feel sorry for that bloke, going to the crucible then having to rise from all that gravy...or somethin'...Oh & the worlds flat and is only 5,000 yrs old. Truth !

What's to say St. Mark or St. Peter weren't just the J.K Rowling of their generation?

Like most religions and cultures, the stories weren't written in text until many many years after the event.

So let's not forget that's all they are, some of the greatest stories ever told.

Everyone in the world just chooses which story they like the best and wish to follow, if any at all.

"I just don't understand how Christmas, his birthday, is the same date every year, yet the day he die moves about....

"

Exactly, his birthday wasn't at Christmas either

[Removed by poster at 18/04/14 12:28:48]

"Each to their own. If you dont like somebody's posts dont reply, it's as simple as that.

It makes me laugh how many people on here are so self-righteous when it comes to faith . . . Erm, you are on a swingers site, you can't be that devout.

I see lots of glass houses "

Ha...this ^^^

"Each to their own. If you dont like somebody's posts dont reply, it's as simple as that.

You don't have to be devout to show respect to others religion!

By *uzi Jones 26Woman  over a year ago

The Devil's Lair

Ha...this ^^^ "

haha sorry, had to be said. Self fullfilling prophecy's and all that! Have a lovely chocolate egg weekend folkes

The true meaning of Easter is that it's the most important Christian festival, it symbolises the resurrection which is a bedrock of Christianity.

I personally do not believe in the resurrection and have no doubt that this aspect of the Jesus story is a complete myth, (happy to debate that with anyone at any time). I also believe strongly in responsible free speech.

That said, when I read the Op I must confess to feeling uncomfortable. My discomfort is for the Christians who will read this on one of their most holy of days.

Devout? Glass houses? What do you mean?

Christianity is based on Christ, what did Christ say about swinging or marriage?

By *odareyouMan  over a year ago

not far from iceland,,,,,, tescos is nearer though :-) (near leeds)

If it takes him three days to rise,

hes not a repeater,

I'm a Catholic and found the OP mildly amusing. But substitute an important Christian festival for say a Muslim or Hindu festival and initiate a thread mocking one of those, then terms like racist and unacceptable would be used.

Is it so wrong for a Christian to be able to say she finds mockery of the most important festival in her faith objectionable without being subject to a lot of abuse?

Isn't the OP just intolerance? Would you post the same about Passover, Eid or Diwali and take the P.

It's definitely not for me (any organised religion) but I don't get kicks out of belittling what is often a personal matter of faith.

keighley

"I'm a Catholic and found the OP mildly amusing. But substitute an important Christian festival for say a Muslim or Hindu festival and initiate a thread mocking one of those, then terms like racist and unacceptable would be used.

Is it so wrong for a Christian to be able to say she finds mockery of the most important festival in her faith objectionable without being subject to a lot of abuse?"

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"

Not only funny but a good observational satire.

So few children know what Easter is about except the getting of chocolate.

Such a small minority attend a church service of any kind.

By *bony in IvoryCouple  over a year ago

Black&White Utopia

Toasted hot cross bun anyone?!

Black&White Utopia

Ps... I got real butter!

King's Crustacean

Wow ......

I don't see how such a post can be totally misconstrued as anti Christian unless people just want to bay for the sake of it....

King's Crustacean

"Ps... I got real butter! "

In that case yes... but soften it first.

Devout? Glass houses? What do you mean?

Christianity is based on Christ, what did Christ say about swinging or marriage?"

We are off to Chams later but still feel there is no need to mock Christianity .

People today are being killed and tortured all over the world. Yet many that want to mock are the first to protest about human rights infringements today.

It doesn't matter to me if you believe in Allah, Buddah, Jesus Christ, the Old Testament or any other religion or nothing at all, I respect your views and believe it is wrong to mock.

"

Religion is important to some people and I respect that. All religions and atheists too.

I also respect the OP's right to free speech.

By *aria161965Woman  over a year ago

Woodchurch

"

"I also respect the OP's right to free speech. "

Totally agree, he is posting on open forum of course so a stark response was always likely (the OP being as open to interpretation as any religious text)

I personally don't really like it, others do.

No irrefutable evidence has ever been found by mainstream science or archaeology to prove that Jesus, as he is portrayed in the bible, ever existed.

Most scientific theories suggest that the stories about him were a composite of many different characters from history, with different stories "attributed" to him that were stolen from other religions and cultures.

Absolutly bang on there hun to many peeps on ere stuck well n truly up there own arses!!

glasgow

"My discomfort is for the Christians who will read this on one of their most holy of days. "

I'd assume they'd be doing something other than browsing a swingers site on their most holy of days?

Black&White Utopia

"Ps... I got real butter!

In that case yes... but soften it first."

done! Its dripping infact! Lol

evesham

"I'm a Catholic and found the OP mildly amusing. But substitute an important Christian festival for say a Muslim or Hindu festival and initiate a thread mocking one of those, then terms like racist and unacceptable would be used.

Is it so wrong for a Christian to be able to say she finds mockery of the most important festival in her faith objectionable without being subject to a lot of abuse?"

How many other religious holidays have become a marketing ploy for major.corporations though. That's what I took from the op.

Christmas and easter have both been taken over by mass marketing of toys and chocolate. I don't see any mass diwali chocolate promotions or passover toys out there unless of course I'm looking in the wrong places.

The op has merely pointed out a fact. Easter, to many, is nothing to do with Christianity, it's to do with Cadbury!

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

"My discomfort is for the Christians who will read this on one of their most holy of days.

I'd assume they'd be doing something other than browsing a swingers site on their most holy of days?"

"I just don't understand how Christmas, his birthday, is the same date every year, yet the day he die moves about....

"

I mentioned this at Sunday school and got sat in the corner...

Easter like Christmas was put in place to overthrow the festivals of old that were already established...

And I think the op was just funny

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I think taking a somewhat different look at retailing and consumption practices is fine, and it's ok to review faith too, as long as it's not intended or likely to cause offense.

Matthew 27:51-53

'And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;

And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,

And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.'

Such an amazing feat is not mentioned in Mark, Luke or John, for some reason, so it's difficult to say that they must all be accurate accounts of the same proposed event.

Christmas and Easter have become shopping fests largely here, with the population not being active worshiping Christians, except to the shrine of £ and what it can buy.

"

"Not only funny but a good observational satire.

"

This

I respect people's right to have beliefs. I don't have to respect those beliefs though. Particularly when they are quite clearly arse gravy.

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Hereford

"The true meaning of Easter is that it's the most important Christian festival, it symbolises the resurrection which is a bedrock of Christianity.

I personally do not believe in the resurrection and have no doubt that this aspect of the Jesus story is a complete myth, (happy to debate that with anyone at any time). I also believe strongly in responsible free speech.

That said, when I read the Op I must confess to feeling uncomfortable. My discomfort is for the Christians who will read this on one of their most holy of days. "

A festival which they nicked from the pagans in order to placate them a bit.

By *ones_BoothCouple  over a year ago

Solihull

"if someone had started a thread mocking other religious festivals such as diwali. people would be rightly be outraged and offended, so why are christian religious festivals seen as an easy target."

Very true, Christianity is an easy target, wish these people would be brave and comment on other religions, I would for one pull up a chair. What also makes me laugh is the people who take the piss don't really have a clue or even read up on the Bible, they mimic what other people quote

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"

to fit in with the pagan festival of Eostre

Is it so wrong for a Christian to be able to say she finds mockery of the most important festival in her faith objectionable without being subject to a lot of abuse?

How many other religious holidays have become a marketing ploy for major.corporations though. That's what I took from the op.

Christmas and easter have both been taken over by mass marketing of toys and chocolate. I don't see any mass diwali chocolate promotions or passover toys out there unless of course I'm looking in the wrong places.

The op has merely pointed out a fact. Easter, to many, is nothing to do with Christianity, it's to do with Cadbury!"

I don't have any problem with the OP, what I found strange was that someone who found it offensive was given a hard time. As I said, had she been of another religion which was subject to parody and had objected she would have had loads of support.

By *onnoisseur100Man  over a year ago

Woking-ish

It's actually a pagan festival hijacked by Christianity. And it was all about reproducing and new life..... quite apt for this site really.

"I think taking a somewhat different look at retailing and consumption practices is fine, and it's ok to review faith too, as long as it's not intended or likely to cause offense.

Matthew 27:51-53

'And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;

And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,

And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.'

Such an amazing feat is not mentioned in Mark, Luke or John, for some reason, so it's difficult to say that they must all be accurate accounts of the same proposed event.

Christmas and Easter have become shopping fests largely here, with the population not being active worshiping Christians, except to the shrine of £ and what it can buy. "

See, zombies.

"The true meaning of Easter is that it's the most important Christian festival, it symbolises the resurrection which is a bedrock of Christianity.

That said, when I read the Op I must confess to feeling uncomfortable. My discomfort is for the Christians who will read this on one of their most holy of days.

A festival which they nicked from the pagans in order to placate them a bit. "

People seem to forget this bit

By *ichaelangelaCouple  over a year ago

notts

hmmmmm, i see a business opportunity here ... GET YOUR STONES HERE ... STONES FOR SALE

yay

the godsquad are out in force today.

and they say religion has no sense of humour

he is real because he is in a storybook?

so, goldilocks, jack n the beanstalk, humpty dumpty, wonderlad, so one and so forth, are all real.

no wonder people are turning their backs on the church

notts

"yay

the godsquad are out in force today.

and they say religion has no sense of humour

he is real because he is in a storybook?

so, goldilocks, jack n the beanstalk, humpty dumpty, wonderlad, so one and so forth, are all real.

no wonder people are turning their backs on the church"

but dont turn your back on the vicar

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

if this post is offensive why is no one protesting about the Easter Bunny girl thread

I am uncomfortable when the mickey is taken out of religion so I don't do it however there is a huge difference between poking fun at how religion is perceived and practiced and being prejudiced against the practitioners of that religion. I think that the op here is pointing out that Christian religious festivals have become no more than a commercial opportunity he isn't having a go at Christians.

notts

"if this post is offensive why is no one protesting about the Easter Bunny girl thread

I am uncomfortable when the mickey is taken out of religion so I don't do it however there is a huge difference between poking fun at how religion is perceived and practiced and being prejudiced against the practitioners of that religion. I think that the op here is pointing out that Christian religious festivals have become no more than a commercial opportunity he isn't having a go at Christians. "

gone the same way as christmas, just a commercial opportunity as you say

By *ilkynmyzzyCouple  over a year ago

Bridlington

hmmmmm, i see a business opportunity here ... GET YOUR STONES HERE ... STONES FOR SALE "

2 flat ones and a bag of gravel please

hmmmmm, i see a business opportunity here ... GET YOUR STONES HERE ... STONES FOR SALE

"

are there any women here?

Puts on deep voice

No!

The op has merely pointed out a fact. Easter, to many, is nothing to do with Christianity, it's to do with Cadbury!"

I think Dewali has been hijacked in a similar way, with fortunes spent on fireworks and sweets. Would it be acceptable to have a thread titled "The real meaning of Dewali...." Followed by "spending shitloads on crappy fireworks before stuffing your face full of sweets"??

I'm not a religious person, but I do find that Christianity is an easy target and that those who choose to stand up for it, particularly when they find something offensive are often targetted in a way that others are not.

Ultimately should we not all respect others faiths no matter what our own beliefs are?

notts

"

i can get gravel for you but its not much good for throwing in glasshouses ... not much damage ya see

By *iamp86Man  over a year ago

preston

The reason Christmas is the same date and Easter moves dates every year is due to Christmas being tied to the winter solstice which happens on the same day every year and Easter being tied to the weekend of the first full moon following the spring equinox which of course moves about every year. Simples!!

i can get gravel for you but its not much good for throwing in glasshouses ... not much damage ya see"

never understood the whole glass houses thing.

a glass house is a greenhouse.

the only thing that lives in a green house is a vegetable.

ohhhh, i see where its going now lol

"The reason Christmas is the same date and Easter moves dates every year is due to Christmas being tied to the winter solstice which happens on the same day every year and Easter being tied to the weekend of the first full moon following the spring equinox which of course moves about every year. Simples!!

"

and yet, the christians would have you beleive its all about god and jesus and that kind of stuff, not about the earth, moon, stars n stuff

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

Possibly because Christians, or those brought up in a christian based society, are more tolerant and have a better sense of humour than those from other religions?

Bridlington

are there any women here?"

If we carry this on someone may start complaining about us breaching copyright

The op has merely pointed out a fact. Easter, to many, is nothing to do with Christianity, it's to do with Cadbury!

I think Dewali has been hijacked in a similar way, with fortunes spent on fireworks and sweets. Would it be acceptable to have a thread titled "The real meaning of Dewali...." Followed by "spending shitloads on crappy fireworks before stuffing your face full of sweets"??

I'm not a religious person, but I do find that Christianity is an easy target and that those who choose to stand up for it, particularly when they find something offensive are often targetted in a way that others are not.

Ultimately should we not all respect others faiths no matter what our own beliefs are?"

Regarding your last paragraph, I find it difficult to understand why one should have respect for a faith or belief that has caused the torture and murder of millions over the centuries in the name of that particular religion.

evesham

Ultimately should we not all respect others faiths no matter what our own beliefs are?"

I personally wouldn't have an issue with your proposed thread about dewali.

no matter waht they have you believe, religions arent tolerant,

from rabid muslims, to christian churches that dont recognise homosexuality, to catholics that wont allow contraception.

no religion is open to anything that doesnt fit in with it own idealogies, so no, not really.

i will be tolerant with those that show it.

King's Crustacean

"if someone had started a thread mocking other religious festivals such as diwali. people would be rightly be outraged and offended, so why are christian religious festivals seen as an easy target.

Possibly because Christians, or those brought up in a christian based society, are more tolerant and have a better sense of humour than those from other religions?"

Yes.... one only has to read this thread to hear the dulcet tolerant tones of the 'Christians'

King's Crustacean

"no matter waht they have you believe, religions arent tolerant,

from rabid muslims, to christian churches that dont recognise homosexuality, to catholics that wont allow contraception.

no religion is open to anything that doesnt fit in with it own idealogies, so no, not really.

i will be tolerant with those that show it."

What about us taoists ?

At least it's a more believable conspiracy theory than what the church has been ramming down peoples' throats all these years! "

Bridlington

Not much to argue with there

By *ScotsmanMan  over a year ago

ayrshire

is it like humpty dumpty fell off the wall and there was a big cafudle wi soldiers putting him back together and they couldn't even with all the kings men like so we roll an egg down the hill to symbolise the cadburys secrets . like?

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Hereford

"if someone had started a thread mocking other religious festivals such as diwali. people would be rightly be outraged and offended, so why are christian religious festivals seen as an easy target.

Possibly because Christians, or those brought up in a christian based society, are more tolerant and have a better sense of humour than those from other religions?"

*chokes*

[Removed by poster at 18/04/14 22:04:53]

I mentioned this at Sunday school and got sat in the corner...

Easter like Christmas was put in place to overthrow the festivals of old that were already established...

And I think the op was just funny "

Christmas is at roughly the time of year when Jesus was born. This can be worked out from the census that was taking part in that part of the world at that time. It was chosen as December 25th as other cultures celebrated feast days around this time and as Christianity was relatively new they didn't want to rock the boat too much, but Jesus is believed to have been born around that time.

Now Easter is a different matter. It was recorded that Jesus was crucified during the Jewish festival of Passover. This has no fixed date as it's worked out from the old Hebrew calendar. It is always in spring however. Since again no fixed date can be put on the actual crucifixion it is always worked out in accordance with Passover.

Obviously this is just a brief summary but that is why Christmas is a fixed date and Easter is moved. No great mystery really.

By *rinking-in-laCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

Because it is all bollocks.

So according to you a religion is tolerant only and only of the adopt your own values?!!

So according to you a religion is tolerant only and only of the adopt your own values?!!

"

what?

What about us taoists ?"

dyslexic tattooists are great lol

Unreal

ayrshire

shame me once shame on me hic shame on you but if you shame twice erm

Jesus was a sun god, that's why he's often depicted with a halo or ring of light. He's the sun (son) of god.

There was an eclipse, or a smog cloud from a volcano or something.

So the sun wasn't visible for a few days, that cleared, the sun came back. Resurrection!

glasgow

Jesus is just a Spanish boys name.....

If it means days off work I'll believe in anything, even father Christmas.

"Jesus is just a Spanish boys name..... "

Pronounced hayzuse.

glasgow

"Jesus is just a Spanish boys name.....

Pronounced hayzuse. "

Just quoting song lyrics

Religion will always create debate. Some believe some don't. Personally I don't. Doesn't mean I don't respect those that do. We all have our own beliefs. I didn't find the OP's post offensive but I can see why others would...

It's obvious it was meant in a lighthearted way and not malicious. To me anyways. Ppl just chill, like all things in life, if you don't like just ignore.

"

By *EXY50ishWoman  over a year ago

Anywhere and nowhere

"

I agree

By *aGaGagging for itCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

Hey everybody. Let's be friends again and have an orgy!

thats the problem with religious and non religious folk.

some take it as gospel, and will never hear anything against it

the others dont believe a word of it and treat it as what it is, a series of short stories in a story book, for kids.

you dont need religion to lead a decent and full life.

just be a decent person.

god and hayzeus have NOTHING to do with me being a decent person

By *ee VianteWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

To me the true meaning of Easter is hot cross buns, chocolate eggs, a long bank holiday (preferably sunny) and lots of events for children hyped up on too much sugar.

I recognise some people believe different things. That's fine with me. If they respect my right to my beliefs, I'll respect their right to theirs.

It's when people think they can force their beliefs on me that we're going to have a problem.

People are so quick to jump to the defence of the poor supressed christians and offence caused by critiscing their beliefs.

As an atheist i am pretty pissed off at the so caaled christians who knock at my door trying to convince me the bible is true and how hostile and rude they become when i explain im atheist. One was arguing the point that as an atheist did i think i was master of my own destiny and when i said yes she wanted to stay and argue some more. What a knobhead total disrespect for my belief so why should i respect theirs

Not only funny but a good observational satire.

"

Ruby

"People are so quick to jump to the defence of the poor supressed christians and offence caused by critiscing their beliefs.

As an atheist i am pretty pissed off at the so caaled christians who knock at my door trying to convince me the bible is true and how hostile and rude they become when i explain im atheist. One was arguing the point that as an atheist did i think i was master of my own destiny and when i said yes she wanted to stay and argue some more. What a knobhead total disrespect for my belief so why should i respect theirs "

They're not all the same though... Some are militant, some are very gentle and most lie somewhere in between.

"People are so quick to jump to the defence of the poor supressed christians and offence caused by critiscing their beliefs.

As an atheist i am pretty pissed off at the so caaled christians who knock at my door trying to convince me the bible is true and how hostile and rude they become when i explain im atheist. One was arguing the point that as an atheist did i think i was master of my own destiny and when i said yes she wanted to stay and argue some more. What a knobhead total disrespect for my belief so why should i respect theirs "

They aren't all like this though and I'm loathe to write off an entire group of people over the behaviour of a few.

I'm sure some atheists are also quite rabid.

I refuse to engage with the door-to-door religion touts. I say thank you but I'm not interested. If they continue I say I don't wish to be rude but I'm going to close the door now, and then I close the door.

It's never failed as an approach with an unwanted sales/marketing/religious/charity caller yet.

I don't care either way all I know is that tomorrow I will be eating chocolate.

I thought the Easter weekend was all about Grey Sky's and Rain

Was they really arguing or just trying to engage you in debate. If these once a year (if that) callers really bother to such an extent that it makes you really angy just do as VV says and just shut the door on them. My approach is roughly the same. A polite "thanks for calling but I'm not really interested and I'm going to shut the door now" will always work. There's no need to be rude.

"To me the true meaning of Easter is hot cross buns, chocolate eggs, a long bank holiday (preferably sunny) and lots of events for children hyped up on too much sugar.

I recognise some people believe different things. That's fine with me. If they respect my right to my beliefs, I'll respect their right to theirs.

It's when people think they can force their beliefs on me that we're going to have a problem."

This

As an atheist i am pretty pissed off at the so caaled christians who knock at my door trying to convince me the bible is true and how hostile and rude they become when i explain im atheist. One was arguing the point that as an atheist did i think i was master of my own destiny and when i said yes she wanted to stay and argue some more. What a knobhead total disrespect for my belief so why should i respect theirs

Was they really arguing or just trying to engage you in debate. If these once a year (if that) callers really bother to such an extent that it makes you really angy just do as VV says and just shut the door on them. My approach is roughly the same. A polite "thanks for calling but I'm not really interested and I'm going to shut the door now" will always work. There's no need to be rude. "

To be fair, in some areas they can be a lot more frequent than once a year.

In my last house I had three lots round in the first month and at least one lot every month afterwards.

They could be very inventive too. One lot opened with "are you interested in protecting yourself from crime?"

It wasn't a huge issue because, as I said, I am very good at saying no thank you but eventually I got fed up and put up a notice saying I do not buy goods, services or religion at my door.

Was they really arguing or just trying to engage you in debate. If these once a year (if that) callers really bother to such an extent that it makes you really angy just do as VV says and just shut the door on them. My approach is roughly the same. A polite "thanks for calling but I'm not really interested and I'm going to shut the door now" will always work. There's no need to be rude.

To be fair, in some areas they can be a lot more frequent than once a year.

In my last house I had three lots round in the first month and at least one lot every month afterwards.

They could be very inventive too. One lot opened with "are you interested in protecting yourself from crime?"

It wasn't a huge issue because, as I said, I am very good at saying no thank you but eventually I got fed up and put up a notice saying I do not buy goods, services or religion at my door."

We must be very lucky then. I can't remember the last time they came calling. We have have family of Jehovah witnesses living over the road from us and we often see them going out on their rounds. They are a pleasent enough family and explained that it is part of their religion to spread the word so they are only practising their believes by knocking on your door.

I keep the satanic bible near the door for those cockweasels. Seems to get the.point across.

I particularly liked their visits when I'd worked the night and they woke me up an hour after I'd gone to bed.

I managed never to be rude though. Spreading the word, (indoctrinating more sheeple to be brainwashed and controlled), is part of most religions.

"I particularly liked their visits when I'd worked the night and they woke me up an hour after I'd gone to bed.

I managed never to be rude though. Spreading the word, (indoctrinating more sheeple to be brainwashed and controlled), is part of most religions."

Yes I can be very tetchy when awoken after a night shift. Maybe they don't call on us anymore because they know us.

"I particularly liked their visits when I'd worked the night and they woke me up an hour after I'd gone to bed.

I managed never to be rude though. Spreading the word, (indoctrinating more sheeple to be brainwashed and controlled), is part of most religions."

heard a quote from a missionary on a radio program once, who said they only went to other countries to indoctrinate more people into the faith.

if they had to build a well or shelter to do it, then thats what they did, as long as they converted and followed Gods word, they were happy to do so.

makes me sick

I managed never to be rude though. Spreading the word, (indoctrinating more sheeple to be brainwashed and controlled), is part of most religions.

heard a quote from a missionary on a radio program once, who said they only went to other countries to indoctrinate more people into the faith.

if they had to build a well or shelter to do it, then thats what they did, as long as they converted and followed Gods word, they were happy to do so.

makes me sick"

Building wells for poor people ?

makes me sick

Building wells for poor people ?"

on the proviso they convert to whatever religion they are peddaling.

have no problem with helping people out of the goodness of your heart, but when you have an agenda, well, goodness goes straight out the window

makes me sick

Building wells for poor people ?

on the proviso they convert to whatever religion they are peddaling.

have no problem with helping people out of the goodness of your heart, but when you have an agenda, well, goodness goes straight out the window"

I sort of get what you mean but I think they will build the wells whether they convert or not. If it's a choice of drinking clean water and having a few Christians around or dirty water and disease I know which I'd choose.

i get that.

but, as i said, when its about converting people, its not about being good and living a good life is it?

i mean, really, 'drink good water and convert to god, or die of dysantry'

hardly VERY christian is it? lol

Some replies in here! So much hostility towards religion and other beleifs from those who have none!

I am not Christian and I have welcomed those who come to preach their beleifs and offered them drinks in my living room. I got copies of the bible from some of them and am very pleased with it. Not that I am interested to convert but they are polite and I like a friendly debate on faith. No harm done. Actually ppl who have no faith at all are the most intolerent and disrespectfull towards other beleifs cause they live in the doubt all their life.

Sorry totally disagree with your statement.

As an atheist i do not go around trying to persuade people not to believe. I certainly dont go door to door asking them not to believe.

I do not stand outside churches mosques or temples trying to persuade people to not enter. I allow them to practice their beliefs as they want.

What i do object to is them knocking at my door trying to preach to me and become quite hostile when i wont enter in debate with them.

However when i try and have debate and ask them to prove to me god exists by means other than an old story book they fall at the first hurdle. Ask them to explain if thete is a god why bad things happen their only answer is the lord moves in mysterious ways. Too right he does so mysterious they have no idea. Total garbage.

"Sorry totally disagree with your statement.

As an atheist i do not go around trying to persuade people not to believe. I certainly dont go door to door asking them not to believe.

I do not stand outside churches mosques or temples trying to persuade people to not enter. I allow them to practice their beliefs as they want.

What i do object to is them knocking at my door trying to preach to me and become quite hostile when i wont enter in debate with them.

However when i try and have debate and ask them to prove to me god exists by means other than an old story book they fall at the first hurdle. Ask them to explain if thete is a god why bad things happen their only answer is the lord moves in mysterious ways. Too right he does so mysterious they have no idea. Total garbage. "

They are not stopping you to not beleive either. "Total garbage" for you not for them No harm showing respect. At least they have a cause they live for and try to be a good Christian, Muslim , A Jehova witness or whatever. Better then having none in life. If its a total garbage they can prove to you there is God, can you prove to them that there is NO God? The most basic foundation of your beleifs as an Atheist. If not how would you feel if the reaction towards you would be :"Total garbage"? Tgats not an attitude of a healthy friendly debate.

ayrshire

if the Jehovah's come twice they get the kettle from top window treatment. x x X

"Some replies in here! So much hostility towards religion and other beleifs from those who have none!

I am not Christian and I have welcomed those who come to preach their beleifs and offered them drinks in my living room. I got copies of the bible from some of them and am very pleased with it. Not that I am interested to convert but they are polite and I like a friendly debate on faith. No harm done. Actually ppl who have no faith at all are the most intolerent and disrespectfull towards other beleifs cause they live in the doubt all their life. "

live in doubt of what?

glasgow

"

At least they have a cause they live for and try to be a good Christian, Muslim , A Jehova witness or whatever. Better then having none in life. "

Can you expand on this statement and justify it?

Well I know one thing. Christians can't take a joke.

I've explained the concept of god to my daughter xn all she replied was .... What did we ever do to him then? To deserve the crap we now live with?

"Some replies in here! So much hostility towards religion and other beleifs from those who have none!"

That's a hell of a generalisation and rather inaccurate.

I am not religious. Please show me where I've been hostile and disrespectful towards and intolerant of religious people.

"Actually ppl who have no faith at all are the most intolerent and disrespectfull towards other beleifs cause they live in the doubt all their life. "

Another massive, unfounded generalisation.

The religious feel everyone else needs to be converted. The non-religious are usually quite happy going about their business if left alone. Which group is being disrespectful of the choices of the other? Which is not accepting or tolerating those choices?

I'm not religious but there's no doubt in my mind about what I think of religion and the Bible and equivalent texts of other religions. I'm entirely happy and secure in my beliefs and have been for most of my life.

"

At least they have a cause they live for and try to be a good Christian, Muslim , A Jehova witness or whatever. Better then having none in life.

Can you expand on this statement and justify it?"

He seems to be suggesting that anyone who doesn't believe in a religion has no purpose and nothing to live for in life.

I have things I believe in and causes. It's possible to lead a full life and be a good person without believing in a God and a story book.

Suggesting you need religion to be a good person is ridiculous.

Plus those trying to live good lives without religion are doing it because they want to, not because their religion tells them to.

"

At least they have a cause they live for and try to be a good Christian, Muslim , A Jehova witness or whatever. Better then having none in life.

He seems to be suggesting that anyone who doesn't believe in a religion has no purpose and nothing to live for in life.

I have things I believe in and causes. It's possible to lead a full life and be a good person without believing in a God and a story book.

Plus those trying to live good lives without religion are doing it because they want to, not because their religion tells them to."

...and what's that purpose in life?

Are you suggesting that ppl with religion are forced into doing things by their religion?! Faith is a convinction and stronger than that. It's a beleif. A choice. You can be a good person without being religious but whats a good person is different in everyone's perspective. You're most likely to be a better person if you have faith. Unlike parliament voted rules and morals, divine morals don't need 100's of thousands of police force to inforce order and law. As soon as no one is watching you're left to your own selfish desires to rule you. A beleiver is always selfcontious with a divine authority watching him/her. Plus they don't live life to eat drink sleep fuck have fun and full stop. Life is more meaningful and has puropse. Everything has a reason. The atheism is based on that everything has come to existance by a hazard.

What you call a storry in a book is for billions a divine revelation from God. That statement alone shows how disrespectful you can be towards religion.

ayrshire

if you really believed in all Thats religious you certainly wouldn't be on here.. .

Religion is forced on children who aren't given a choice. Brainwashing them into believing the same as their parents. Happy Easter

Im not religious but know the stories. I take and accept them as just a piece of fiction.

My daughter will no doubt learn about it in school as i think most of us did. She just sees a lot of choc n arts n crafts to do with bunnies and chicks.

Ive told her eggs mean new life.. when babies are born.

keighley

"Religion is forced on children who aren't given a choice. Brainwashing them into believing the same as their parents. Happy Easter "

of course parents who are atheist never brainwash their kids,

"If you have nothing good to say try saying nothing."

justunme, so are you saying those without religion lack direction and purpose, hence cannot be good people?

did you read my post about missionaries going of to do good things, only if the villagers converted to whatever religion?

i tell you many people that go off to other countries, without the need for religion, to do good things, out of a kindness in their hearts, rather than to get more into the holy army.

you seem to be very indoctinated

very unaccepting about others ways of life.

suppose thats what religion does to people though, isnt it.

personally, i think people that have direction in their lives and dont need to lean on a fake deity to live a good, normal life, are much better people than those that seem to need acceptance from people that seem to think they are better than you, but each to their own.

im sure your priest will be more than happy to hear you are shagging strangers off the internet

Sucks. 10am Sunday. Wet and cold. Why not go into town to my favourite cafe for a FEB? Shut. Though to be fair I'm not sure they open Sundays. How about wasting an hour browsing M&S or Sports Direct? Shut. #unfuckingbelievable. This is Bournemouth not Clitheroe. I think shops should open whatever. Sorry all you religionists, it's Easter Sunday isn't it.

"But I should have a day off, I need a rest"

"Yeah but actually I am offering you the chance to earn money"

In Burger King I was apparently their second customer. One of the staff said that on these days, any outlet 2,000 square feet or more cannot open. It's the law. But I could order two small cheeseburgers AND they would take out the pickle.

Easter Sunday. I'll stay home then and watch Norwich v Liverpool

im away to work later.

thank you god and jeebus for letting me earn double bubble for 3 days this week.

wooo

"

Plus those trying to live good lives without religion are doing it because they want to, not because their religion tells them to.

Are you suggesting that ppl with religion are forced into doing things by their religion?! Faith is a convinction and stronger than that. It's a beleif. A choice. You can be a good person without being religious but whats a good person is different in everyone's perspective. You're most likely to be a better person if you have faith. Unlike parliament voted rules and morals, divine morals don't need 100's of thousands of police force to inforce order and law. As soon as no one is watching you're left to your own selfish desires to rule you. A beleiver is always selfcontious with a divine authority watching him/her. Plus they don't live life to eat drink sleep fuck have fun and full stop. Life is more meaningful and has puropse. Everything has a reason. The atheism is based on that everything has come to existance by a hazard.

What you call a storry in a book is for billions a divine revelation from God. That statement alone shows how disrespectful you can be towards religion. "

I completely and utterly disagree with you.

A religious person does not necessarily have more of a purpose to life.

Living a good life through choice rather than through instruction means more.

Organised religions are amongst the most selfish and greedy institutions out there.

Anyone has a right to believe in a story book and I utterly respect that right. It doesn't mean I have to see it as anything more than a story book. Why would I respect a book based on other people's beliefs if they won't respect my right to consider it no more than a book of stories?

Just because something or someone is religious doesn't automatically make it better or more deserving of unquestioned respect than anything else.

Religion is totally unimportant to me. What is important is the right of other people to feel differently. That I respect. I expect the same in return.

Parliament can't dictate morals. Morals are personal beliefs and standards. As a result they need no police force because we police them ourselves.

Some Catholics believe they can behave in ways that don't conform to their church's teachings, and often aren't very moral, as long as they then go and confess and repent. What's so glorious and good about that.

Many people lead good, kind, honest lives with no need for religious guidance. It doesn't take religion to learn right from wrong or to want to be the best person you can be.

Plenty in my life has a reason based on science. "Because God says so" isn't a good reason for anything. What other "reason" does religion give?

The statement that anyone non-religious lives life solely to "eat, drink, sleep, fuck and have fun" is preposterous.

"

What you call a storry in a book is for billions a divine revelation from God. That statement alone shows how disrespectful you can be towards religion.

I completely and utterly disagree with you.

A religious person does not necessarily have more of a purpose to life.

Living a good life through choice rather than through instruction means more.

Organised religions are amongst the most selfish and greedy institutions out there.

Anyone has a right to believe in a story book and I utterly respect that right. It doesn't mean I have to see it as anything more than a story book. Why would I respect a book based on other people's beliefs if they won't respect my right to consider it no more than a book of stories?

Just because something or someone is religious doesn't automatically make it better or more deserving of unquestioned respect than anything else.

Religion is totally unimportant to me. What is important is the right of other people to feel differently. That I respect. I expect the same in return.

Parliament can't dictate morals. Morals are personal beliefs and standards. As a result they need no police force because we police them ourselves.

Some Catholics believe they can behave in ways that don't conform to their church's teachings, and often aren't very moral, as long as they then go and confess and repent. What's so glorious and good about that.

Many people lead good, kind, honest lives with no need for religious guidance. It doesn't take religion to learn right from wrong or to want to be the best person you can be.

Plenty in my life has a reason based on science. "Because God says so" isn't a good reason for anything. What other "reason" does religion give?

The statement that anyone non-religious lives life solely to "eat, drink, sleep, fuck and have fun" is preposterous."

and there are plenty of religious types that live only to eat, sleep, drink, fuck and have fun.

(my best mate at school was jehova's and he was always stoned too)

"if you really believed in all Thats religious you certainly wouldn't be on here.. ."

My cock is in a missionary dutie to convert as many pussies as he can

By *ctaviusStuntMan  over a year ago

plymouth

people "believe" all kinds of things. In the west people believe they are educated and sophisticated compared to a bush man who visits the witch doctor. However what is important i think is people remember that it is all just a belief and not an absolute fact or reality.

Of course some believe that easter is pagan in origin like xmas is and that christians merely high jacked the holidays for power.

» Add a new message to this topic