FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > first holiday abroad

first holiday abroad

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

In 4 weeks my husband and I head off to Crete for our honeymoon. It's his first package holiday (his parents always did camping in france/spain) and my first time abroad (my parents did uk caravan holidays).

So for a first time traveller what tips would you give?

Anyone been to Crete?

Anyone want to come and pack for me? Lol x

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Pack light, you won't need half the clothes you bring

I like to get to the airport really early. That is when my holiday experience starts.

Learn to say hello, please and thank you as a bare minimum in Greek. While many people will speak English something as simple as that almost always will prompt a warmer welcome from the locals.

Oh and get out of the hotel and explore!

Find out local traditions

Explore the area that your in, don't just stay in the hotel.

Try and learn the basic language so you can say hello, goodbye, thank you ect!

And above all enjoy your holiday

Thanks all!

I've been looking at the local villages etc and have no interest sitting at the pool and eating english breakfasts every day, really want to experience the local culture.

Anyone ever received flight/hotel upgrades for honeymoon?

"Learn to say hello, please and thank you as a bare minimum in Greek. While many people will speak English something as simple as that almost always will prompt a warmer welcome from the locals. "

I luv the Greek islands and always make an effort. The locals appreciate it.

By *nxsCouple  over a year ago

ilkeston

Yes ring the hotel direct before you go ,tell them its your honeymoon its worked for us so its worth a try even if its just b bottle of plonk in your room !

Prepare for the heat, so different to out summers and I visited Aberdeen last week and it wasn't warm there lol!!!

Greek food is fantastic, I always tend to look for the restaurants that have lots of locals in as you know they wouldn't stand for crap food lol!!!!

And just remember to embrace their cultures and ways no matter how different to ours which unfortunately a lot of Brits can't seem to grasp lol!!!

As for upgrades, work to the rule that you don't get if you don't ask, I'm off to Vegas in three weeks and will try the same lol!!!

Hopefully the start of many adventures for you and hubby x

I've been to Crete many times, I love it. There are some amazing beaches near Chania, Elafonsi Beach and Falassama beach are amazing.

The resort of Rethymon is lovely, cute little cretan shops selling some lovely leather bags and belts and shoes.

For a more lively resort Hersonnissos or Stalis are nice. Stalis is near Malia but certainly very different. Lively but full of Greek tavernas , shops and restaurants rather than clubs and therefore you don't get the chavs or rowdy d*unken troublemakers. More of a couples and families resort.

Went to elounda last year to _iew venues for daughters wedding ,,, returning next year for that ,,, gorgeous island , friendly people beyond belief ,,,, I gotta say if love Crete

By *ackandkateCouple  over a year ago

Truro

We're going to Corfu 5th May for 2 weeks.

Take some Mozzy spray and get some vitamin B tabs too. Take one or two a day to keep the insects away, or take a jar of marmite.

Greece and the islands are gorgeous and not too hot this time of year

It will be hot in May but bearable. In July and August it can be nearly 40 degrees so difficult to walk about in.

Spinalonga, the island which was previously a leper colony is interesting to visit.

By *issHottieBottieWoman  over a year ago

Kent

Is it all inclusive??

If it is then giving the bar staff a decent tip early on means they'll be pouring your next drink before you've d*unk the last one.. Well it did in Mexico anyway. X

We had our honeymoon in Crete over 25 years ago ..... And been back and it changes very little .Very laid back and some lovely beaches , And little fishing villages and locals are nice we have found.

By *ightkitty4uWoman  over a year ago

Epsom

10 years ago I spent 3 mths in Malia..... Ah the memories...

Like everyone else learn Greek its easy to pick up..

Yamos - Cheers

Yasoo - Hello tho greeks will tell you yamos is, as they are lazy teachers.

Yassoo de can is - is hello how are you

you then say - kalle n c - which is Good and you...

Parra de claw - sounds like parrots claw is your welcome

All are spelt as they sound as I can't read the greek alphabet, you will get a total different level of service if you walk into a shop and attempt to say "Hello, how are you" in greek than if you walk in and speak english.

Make friends with the locals, they love the English as we saved them in the war and the hospitality once you get away from the d*unk English areas the hospitality is amazing.... We got invite for "sunday lunch" with some of the locals we knew

Avoid Malia at all costs... There is a market in Heraklion on a sat I think it was, Its a crazy experience, just don't go with a hangover like I did!

Waterfall of Milona is meant to be worth a visit alas I didn't make it there.

If your at the right end of the island Spinalonga is also worth a visit its: crete's leper colony

Rakki is the local drink its a bit like Sambucca but stronger, Rakki and chocolate don't mix... Don't ask was a 3am drinking rakki and got hungry moment...

Frappé is the best coffee you will ever taste, Starbucks can't make them as nice as the Greek ones..

Brush up on your backgammon skills as the locals love to play this

Lastly Sun Cream, Start high work you way down depending on when your going but start on factor 50 or so... I saw a lady who had been on the island for a week, she went on a boat trip used factor 15, she suffered 2 degree burns and had to use the last of her spending money on medical treatment.

If you do get burnt, greek live yoghurt cover yourself in it.... It's messy can be fun and will take the sting out of the burn.....

Oh and get yourselves good travel insurance and a E111 card... and avoided Quads, mopheads.... the cheese grater look isn't attractive....

Chew chewing gum on the flight as soon as you fell the plane start to descend... my Dr told me this and it has been a life saver many times....

Above all else explore, enjoy and make memories

Epsom

A ferrets toe - said really fast is thank you

Epsom

Oh and another top tip...

If when you are trying to cross a road and a car flashes it lights DO NOT move, this in Greece means I am coming through... you will get run over... I was all confused when I returned to the uk!

Decompression on the plane descending. Easy trick, to pop your ears, hold your nose and blow. Doesn't work if you have a cold

By *irtydanMan  over a year ago

Blackpool

HAVE A GREAT TIME

Epsom

"Decompression on the plane descending. Easy trick, to pop your ears, hold your nose and blow. Doesn't work if you have a cold"

You can burst your ear drums doing that......

It's best to chew chewing gum...

Get a once a day suncream like RIEMANN P20 high factor enjoy your holiday

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

Take flat shoes if you're staying somewhere villagey - a shortage of smooth pavements and heels don't mix.

If there's a risk of mosquitoes get a plug in thingy.

Put your clothes out before you pack and try to pack things that can all be combined - trousers that only go with one top is useless if you spill something.

If you're only taking carry on remember that liquids must be in containers of 100ml or less and in a plastic bag the size of a sandwich bag - the bag must be able to close. Travel bottle sets can be bought at primark and pound shops. Don't forget you can both take one of these bags through security, so if one is full use the other. Check the size of your perfume bottle. Debenhams sell atomisers that can be filled from a regular bottle.

You can't travel with sharps in your hand luggage, that includes nail clippers, scissors and metal nail files.

Consider taking travel wash if you're packing light or are away for a week. It's useful for rinsing out knickers or t shirts and for getting rid of swimming pool chlorine from cossies.

You can buy Sun cream out there but it is often more pricey. If you're taking hold luggage take some with you but seal it in ziplock sandwich bags.

Don't take anything you would be gutted to lose. I rarely travel with good jewelry and generally take costume jewelry. Anything of particular value to you keep in your hand luggage.

Pare down your make up bag, some will have to go in your clear bag through security and in hot weather you'll want a lighter look.

Get travel insurance, a bad cut or even a broken bone can cost a fortune. Also apply for an E111 card. You can do it online but there shouldn't be a charge, if the website you're on asks for money it's not the gov one.

If travelling with medicines make sure they are in the packet with the prescription sticker on. Keep them in your hand luggage. Any supplements are best carried in their original packaging.

When you check in for your flight be very smiley and happy and tell every member of the airline staff that it's your honeymoon. Budget airlines are unlikely to give you anything, but a scheduled one might and there's no harm in asking. However... Ask at the check in desk (where you hand over hold luggage) don't leave it till you're airside. If the clerk is stressed or harassed don't push it. Ask in a way that makes it clear that it would be lovely but that you're still really happy to be going on honeymoon so if it's not possible that's fine. Do not be in anyway grumpy or awkward - grumpy awkward people don't get freebies and staff are unlikely to put themselves out or do extra things for them!

Give yourselves enough time to get to the airport and to check it. It opens (usually) two hours before the flight. If you are hoping for an upgrade or better seats be there early so no-one else has bagged them.

Don't get too drawn in by duty free at the airport, some things are cheaper but not all. And remember that if you don't consume it while you're away it will not count as duty free or get through the 100ml or less on your return so know what you're going to do with it. But over 100ml can go in hold baggage.

If you are carrying liquids/breakables pack carefully or consider borrowing a hard sided case from friends or family - it might be heavier than a soft case but baggage handlers really do throw suitcases around.

Get a lock for your case, a small one is sufficient to deter most opportunist thieves. Consider a sticker or even tying a piece of ribbon on your case so it's easy to identify at baggage claim.

Go to the reps talk but the trips aren't always a bargain. Though some are. On your transfer look around the coach and decide if these are people you want to hang around with. If not then remember that they'll be on the trips!

Get a guidebook before you go and have a look and see if there is anything you really want to see or do so you won't be on the coach back to the airport envying someone else's trip.

Look at the pre loadable currency cards. Check out the charges for using your credit and debit cards abroad, including cashpoint charges - there is often both a transaction fee and an exchange fee.

Travel in something comfortable, belts and shoes may have to be removed at security so pick slip on shoes and no belt. Layers are a good idea, planes are sometimes over-airconditioned and can be chilly, you may have a wait at passport or security in sunshine at the other end.

Make sure you make a note of where you parked your car at the airport, they often have colour coded car parks. Put your keys and car park ticket in a safe zipped pocket - do not leave Car park ticket in the car. You don't want to have to unpack half your luggage on your return cos you can't remember where you put your keys!

Above all have a lovely time.

Thanks so much everyone, really appreciate everyone's advice!

It's so embarrassing that I'm 30 and never been abroad, life has always got in the way.

I've been learning some Greek, I've always thought there's nothing more crass than going to another country and expecting them to speak English lol

Had my bags packed and unpacked for weeks, just so beyond excited!!

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

Oh and if you're a tea drinker take your own stash of tea bags - the only other European country where you can guarantee a good cuppa is Ireland!

By *aceytopWoman  over a year ago

from a town near you

"It will be hot in May but bearable. In July and August it can be nearly 40 degrees so difficult to walk about in.

Spinalonga, the island which was previously a leper colony is interesting to visit. "

I'd already read a couple of books about it before we went so I was fascinated with spinalonga,see if you can get a trip upto the lassithi plains as well beautiful place and stunning scenery its right up in the mountains

Also take bug spray at night they can come out and bite.. They love me . x

By *yphoon1Man  over a year ago

I learnt about Crete in Classics at school. Always wanted to go and see Knossos and the dolphin pictures and where the Minotaur legend came from.

Sounds lovely. Have a great time.

By *aGaGagging for itCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

"Find out local traditions

Explore the area that your in, don't just stay in the hotel.

Try and learn the basic language so you can say hello, goodbye, thank you ect!

And above all enjoy your holiday "

All of the above plus:

Find out where the locals eat and enjoy the local food.

Don't bother with the welcome meeting unless you need to catch the rep about a problem - it's just to sell you trips.

Do you own trips by public transport or hire a car. You'll enjoy it so much more at your pace and won't be taken to places just because the rep gets a tip.

Relax and enjoy!

Most important!

When crossing the road make sure you look right first before stepping off the kerb

[Removed by poster at 19/04/14 10:40:35]

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

enjoy

defiantly get out and explore nothing worse that seeing people travel all that way to sit in the dog and duck watch repeats of only fools and horses all holiday. mozzies can be a problem so take spray I would defiantly recommend a avon product called skin so soft it's not a mozzie repellent but works a treat and was recommended by a friend who works at faslane, we tried it and not one mozzie bite. also worth taking some antihistamines just in case you do get bitten as will stop any reaction. Greek food is great try to find a local taverna serving a traditional meze. most of all enjoy yourselves.

"Thanks so much everyone, really appreciate everyone's advice!

It's so embarrassing that I'm 30 and never been abroad, life has always got in the way.

I've been learning some Greek, I've always thought there's nothing more crass than going to another country and expecting them to speak English lol

Had my bags packed and unpacked for weeks, just so beyond excited!!

"

Never too late to start although my dad took me travelling quite a bit as a kid it was usually to sit in bars and stay by the pool which was fun back then but then I started travelling with work to very exotic places and as I was erring extra cash I would use that to explore and now just can't get enough of travelling, have to have at least two per year, even if ones just a short city break x

Main thing to remember, is that if the locals don't understand you, speaking English loudly and pointing will do the trick.

The Germans like to get to the pool early - make sure you're there before sun-up to lay claim to your sun lounger (use a towel).

The best bars are the Irish/English ones selling British beer, British newspapers and Sky Sports.

Avoid foreign food - stick to the Full English breakfast.

These are the best tips I can give anyone.

By *rtemisiaWoman  over a year ago

Norwich

Take a little spray bottle and keep it filled with water when you get there. It will be hot and being able to mist yourself will really help. Take tummy pills too, in case you get the squits! Oh and have a fabulous time. You'll love every minute!!!

» Add a new message to this topic