FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > child on hunger strike :/

child on hunger strike :/

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Daughter's going through a phase at the mo where all she'll eat is cereal. Cook her food or make anything else for her she goes and put it in the bin and demands cereal. Now we've run out of cereal because she's been eating it so much and she's gone on a like a hunger strike until she gets more. Don't really want to get more though because I think she needs to eat a proper meal but just can't get her to do it. ARRRGGGGHHH bloody threenagers. haha. anyone elses kids been like the same when they were young?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I would find it acceptable for a toddler to behave that way but a teenager sounds strange

Mine have not been like that,has she eaten well up til now? What has made her decide to only eat cereal?is she dieting? Has she lost weight?

By *0hnnyBrav0Man  over a year ago

Great Wyrley

"Daughter's going through a phase at the mo where all she'll eat is cereal. Cook her food or make anything else for her she goes and put it in the bin and demands cereal. Now we've run out of cereal because she's been eating it so much and she's gone on a like a hunger strike until she gets more. Don't really want to get more though because I think she needs to eat a proper meal but just can't get her to do it. ARRRGGGGHHH bloody threenagers. haha. anyone elses kids been like the same when they were young? "

I don't want to sound harsh here.

Does the dog wag the tail or does the tail wag the dog?

You are the parent and the food you cook for the child should be eaten. Don't eat the food, they don't get a pudding.

Won't eat the food? Fine. They don't eat. They will soon eat what you give them after their stomach tells them they need to eat.

Yes I am a parent myself.

You're 19 with a teenager?

By *ezebelWoman  over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

"You're 19 with a teenager? "

its a 3-nager I think...

By *0hnnyBrav0Man  over a year ago

Great Wyrley

I wish I was 19 again lol

its a new term three but like a teenager. THREEnager. Sorry.

"You're 19 with a teenager?

its a 3-nager I think..."

Ah I get it now

In that case,they will eat whats offered when they're hungry enough

We're weird up north

"You're 19 with a teenager?

We're weird up north "

I thought it was ooop north

If that was my kid it'd get a cooked meal and if it doesn't want it then, no treats, no tv, no bedtime story.

Call me harsh all you like, it's how I learned as a child.

threenager? Who comes up with these terms? Heard of twenteen too.

By *extoysareusCouple  over a year ago

kinky heaven

Seems she has an eating disorder, can be anything, at least she is eating something.

she already has no toys in her room. I locked them in cupboard for her to earn back from another punishment. Tv her father gave her has gone too for now. Hated the thing anyway so thats good. Lol. She hasn't eaten since yesterday lunch. Put food out but hasn't touched it. Shes really pushing her limits.

"If that was my kid it'd get a cooked meal and if it doesn't want it then, no treats, no tv, no bedtime story.

Call me harsh all you like, it's how I learned as a child.

threenager? Who comes up with these terms? Heard of twenteen too."

Who cares what she's eating as long as she's eating! Make a battle of it if you want, but honestly, it's not worth the fuss. That said, if she wants more cereal then tell her to get to the shops and buy it.

my lil one had a spaghetti hoop addiction type thing,, guessing similar to your cereal crisis.

Dr just said providing she has energy and drinking fluids he wasn't overly concerned, its a phase they go through. I was worried like you are, but health wise she was never at risk.. lasted 3 month but now she eats everything except for spaghetti hoops

Was she eating a good variety before the cereal thing?

"Who cares what she's eating as long as she's eating! Make a battle of it if you want, but honestly, it's not worth the fuss. That said, if she wants more cereal then tell her to get to the shops and buy it. "

She's 3

By *issHottieBottieWoman  over a year ago

Kent

My lad is 3 and can be a complete git at mealtimes.

He gets what he's given, if he eats at least 2/3's of it he can have a pudding. If not he gets a banana or other fruit an hour or so later so he's not going to bed on an empty tummy. If he doesn't want that it's tough.

kinky heaven

I'm the same and many people I know go on cereal diets when there are underllying issues like stress etc.

My wife could put a steak out sometimes and it would be un appetizing.

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

Never made a fuss over food. Didn't want veg I'd put it in a pasta bake. Didn't like what I cooked? Take it or leave it. Who had time to pander to the princesses? I had no intention of making a rod for my own back!

yeah she was like a bin. There wasn't anything she wouldn't try and eat. Lol. I'd pick her up from nursery and they would say she had 3rd helpings of whatever was menu. Well she is drinking normally maybe i shouldn't worry as much about what she eats.

By *ScotsmanMan  over a year ago

ayrshire

you might as well feed her cardboard there isn't any real nutrition in cereal

By *issHottieBottieWoman  over a year ago

Kent

"yeah she was like a bin. There wasn't anything she wouldn't try and eat. Lol. I'd pick her up from nursery and they would say she had 3rd helpings of whatever was menu. Well she is drinking normally maybe i shouldn't worry as much about what she eats."

I wouldn't let her have cereal every meal of every day though, so much sugar in it. Even some of the so called healthy ones. It's a control thing at that age, it's them wanting to be boss. Lol x

I think don't get too caught up what's actually going down the hatch once something is an plenry of linguists an prob start some vitamins an minerals too balance out on what she might be missing out on.. It's a passing trade an when its passed the last thing she want too eat again is cereal

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

My mum would make me eat what was on my plate...if I didn't she would leave it on the side...and not give me anything I soon learnt to eat what was in front of me

I have no problems with it in the morning, its when it comes to lunch and tea our arguments ensue. I say you need to eat something else. Show her all the stuff in the fridge and freezer in cupboard and everything. Just throws herself on the floor and does the whole dying swan thing. Health visitor thinks its just her 'expressing her individuality'. Really don't want her eating it 24/7 but don't want her to starve either. lol.

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

its just a phase .. dont worry perhaps the toy thing is drawing up battle lines ..

If this was me ........1. Phone your gp and explain the situation to them . They may have come across this before . 2. She will eat when she's hungry. At some point she will want to eat . Breakfast won't do her any harm . She will soon get bored of the same thing . I would make her buy it though. If she doesn't want to eat as and with the rest of you , then she fends for herself .

3. Try not to make a big deal out of it . Teenagers love attention ( we all did ) . Keep an eye on her size /weight . Maybe take the opproch of ' let's talk and use the correct diet foods '.

My youngest would only eat cheese and pasta . Used to moan at the ex for giving in to that eating habit. Was like this for 3 years . Now grown out of it and eats like a horse.

Just keep watch and keep your gp informed. They will advise you , and don't worry !!!!!

V's son eats more cereal than naything else.

he is fit and healthy.

as long as its not that sugary crap, then i see no reason why she shouldnt be able to eat it.

she will soon enough get bored with it.

on the other hand, me personally, i would have absolutely no problem with letting her starve, whilst having something decent to eat for when she gets hungry enough

but you cant do that kind of thing nowadays, i suppose

"I have no problems with it in the morning, its when it comes to lunch and tea our arguments ensue. I say you need to eat something else. Show her all the stuff in the fridge and freezer in cupboard and everything. Just throws herself on the floor and does the whole dying swan thing. Health visitor thinks its just her 'expressing her individuality'. Really don't want her eating it 24/7 but don't want her to starve either. lol. "

Gotta laugh at the 'expressing individuality' comment!

For a 3 yr old sometimes offering too much choice is confusing,just cook her what you know she likes without giving her a choice,at some point she will be hungry enough to eat it,then she can have some cereal for desert

"My mum would make me eat what was on my plate...if I didn't she would leave it on the side...and not give me anything I soon learnt to eat what was in front of me "

This

I have a 4 year old and personally I won't ever let him demand what he gets to eat. I give him two choices ie do you want this or this for dinner. If he says none its tough I'll cook one of the options and he'll be given it. If he's hungry he will eat it.

At that age they like to push you and try to be boss. If I we're you I would stay firm and if she doesn't want to eat what's on offer then she goes without. I know that sounds harsh but if you keep giving in it will get much worse and she'll think she's the boss

My son would only eat sausage and drink milk for almost 2 years when he was little! Used to make me despair! He's now a strapping 6ft+ 23 year old! So it did me more harm me fretting than him lol Kids are more bombproof than their parents. Don't worry too much and just buy more cereal! X

She's 3, let's put this into perspective. This may be her only way of controlling her environment if there has been a change. Let her eat cereal honestly she is 3 and there are a lot worse things she could be eating. She will get bored soon enough. By making food an issue you are allowing her the control. Give her more cereal than she can shake a stick at - forcing her to eat food she does not want - now there's an eating disorder waiting to happen. She's just exerting her independence it really is as simple as that. Parenting is hard enough give yourselves a break and invest in Kellogs shares (lol) xxx Good Luck!!!!

Go to KFC and get a bargain bucket .

let her smell it but give her none.

If she doesn't make a fuss about wanting any, defo got a problem

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

at 3 if all my child wanted to eat was cereal then i would happily provide cereal without drama ...in my experience your body has a good way of craving foods that it actually needs and cereak are a good source of vitmins minerals etc so i cant see your child coming to much harm .. also milk is fantastic for them

Never allowed our children to make a fuss about what they eat. They don't have to like everything, but I do expect them to try everything.

I think it's really important in the toddler years to get children to do as they're told, otherwise you're preparing a fussy, difficult spoilt brat further on.

On the other hand you have to let them win the odd battle. Some cereal with their salad might even be nice

Put some All Bran in a Cocopops box. She'll never eat cereal again after a shock like that

Gotta laugh at the 'expressing individuality' comment!

For a 3 yr old sometimes offering too much choice is confusing,just cook her what you know she likes without giving her a choice,at some point she will be hungry enough to eat it,then she can have some cereal for desert

Exactly what I was going to say

ayrshire

tie to high chair .selotape eyes open . . . .and play bobby sands on dvd on a loop for 24hours or till too upset to breath. jobs a good un x X X

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"She's 3, let's put this into perspective. This may be her only way of controlling her environment if there has been a change. Let her eat cereal honestly she is 3 and there are a lot worse things she could be eating. She will get bored soon enough. By making food an issue you are allowing her the control. Give her more cereal than she can shake a stick at - forcing her to eat food she does not want - now there's an eating disorder waiting to happen. She's just exerting her independence it really is as simple as that. Parenting is hard enough give yourselves a break and invest in Kellogs shares (lol) xxx Good Luck!!!!"

Yep!

By *moothies.Couple  over a year ago

Woodthorpe

are you sure she's not sneaking food when out or you're not looking. we had a horrible teen that did! good luck

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"are you sure she's not sneaking food when out or you're not looking. we had a horrible teen that did! good luck "

This is a three year old

kinky heaven

Having a sneaky bowl of cornflakes

By *stwoCouple  over a year ago

anywhere

Have you tried a kick up the arse?I would.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Have you tried a kick up the arse?I would."

On a three year old ?

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

Just to try and drum it home to people:

She is three!

She is three!

She is three!

She is three!

She is three!

She is three!

She is three!

We have a three year old. Went through a stage when she wanted to eat nothing but grapes. Did not make a big fuss, just told her that she could have as many grapes as she liked once she had eaten some of x, y or z. She attempted to do a stand off, which I ignored, after a while she would ask again and get the same answer, to which she would then have a try of the food and then be given grapes afterwards. I never used to get stressed about it, just calmly repeat the options.

After a few weeks she stopped doing it.

The only downside is she has now gone off grapes lol.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Just to try and drum it home to people:

She is three!

She is three!

She is three!

She is three!

She is three!

She is three!

She is three!

"

How old?

The clue ( as to why she's a fussy eater) is in the threenager. A while ago there was an article about a parent who wondered why her daughter, Talllah, had problems.

She'll eat when she's hungry.

Her stomach has shrunk and because of that the thought of food makes her feel nauseous. It is quite common with fussy eaters. I was one. After breakfast suggest cheese on toast for elevensies and increase the capacity slowly. Don't worry too much and don't react in a negative manner to it and she should be fine

post up a bit should read Tallulah.

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

i would let her get on with it without issue ..i was a fussy eater as child and the only dramas that occured as a consequence were other people making me feel different ..that was where my issues started ...leave her be and dont make her feel bad about what food she likes to eat ..she will get all the nutrition she needs from breakfast cereal

She is three!

She is three!

She is three!

She is three!

She is three!

She is three!

She is three!

"

So that's twenty one then.

She is three!

She is three!

She is three!

She is three!

She is three!

She is three!

She is three!

So that's twenty one then. "

Looks more like three to the power of ( no pun intended re the brat) which works out to be quite a large number.

ayrshire

. .three grains with added vitamins

Quick question is she being bullied maybe worth having a chat with her seeing nurse or dietician/nutritionist. My daughter has always been fussy and have learned little and often if she over eats she tends to get sick. But she does have smoothies and juices so one way to get vitamins in her and generally what she eats is healthy

"Daughter's going through a phase at the mo where all she'll eat is cereal. Cook her food or make anything else for her she goes and put it in the bin and demands cereal. Now we've run out of cereal because she's been eating it so much and she's gone on a like a hunger strike until she gets more. Don't really want to get more though because I think she needs to eat a proper meal but just can't get her to do it. ARRRGGGGHHH bloody threenagers. haha. anyone elses kids been like the same when they were young? "

My daughter was same, let her eat what she wants and she will be ok.

All my daughter would eat was custard and yoghurt she is now 21 eats normal food and is healthy x

» Add a new message to this topic