FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Adults who have never learnt to drive

Adults who have never learnt to drive

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *aravancouple OP   Man  over a year ago

A Secret Hideaway In the caravan of love

My brother and sister aged 46 and 48 have never learnt to drive.

I've asked them both why and they both say they've just never got round to it.

why they would not want the freedom of just being able to get into a car and drive where they want to.

Is it just me or do you agree that in the 21st century being an adult and not driving is unusual.

Anyone else out there who doesn't drive and if so why?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Me too, also just never got round to it.

Always worked in the city centre previously so it's easier to get public transport rather than find and pay for parking.

My social life in my 20s revolved around pubs and clubs so I wouldn't have been driving there.

I'm learning now and no longer work in city centre so I can't wait to pass but previously it just wasn't a priority.

Being able to drive would definitely come in handy on here.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I don't drive

My sons girlfriend her Dad has never been a driver .. He Was put off in his teens his best friends got killed in a car crash 18/ 19.

Me.

By *tarbeckCouple  over a year ago

york

me ,Jayne

I could not imagine not being able to drive..! I despise public transport..!!

I have been driving for fifteen years and just had to give up my licence for medical reasons I hate it and want to cry

Couldn't stand not having my little car....where I want, when I want

Yes life is hard if you cannot drive one of the big thing you get out of it is freedom to go where you want when you want. I had to use the trains and bus to work in the pasted hate it.

It is not hard to pass a test most of is down the person testing you. It best to take your test in the first half of the month as well.

"I have been driving for fifteen years and just had to give up my licence for medical reasons I hate it and want to cry "

Awww that's pants

By *adyGardenWoman  over a year ago

LONDON (se)

[Removed by poster at 17/04/14 15:33:00]

One of my men is 35 and doesn't drive. He's lived in London all his life and says he's never needed to

By *adyGardenWoman  over a year ago

LONDON (se)

I'm the only one of 4 that can drive. My mum doesn't either but she did a few lessons but just didn't like it. I guess driving isn't for everyone.

My cousin can't drive either but due to a probkem with his eyes that is untreatable he isn't allowed to

I Mrs J don't drive haven got round to doing it. Mr A is always telling me to get my provisional. Drives him crazy that his car is just sitting there while he's working away and I use public transport x

By *hortieWoman  over a year ago

Northampton

jeez, if everyone who chooses not to drive, then in the next year decides to drive... FARK we would all be crying next year :P

i can drive, but never bothered with the test... just too expensive and frustrating for me personally. i got my bike licence instead and have more fun laughing at the people stuck in their cages in the rush hour

just different strokes for different folks in all parts of life

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"jeez, if everyone who chooses not to drive, then in the next year decides to drive... FARK we would all be crying next year :P

i can drive, but never bothered with the test... just too expensive and frustrating for me personally. i got my bike licence instead and have more fun laughing at the people stuck in their cages in the rush hour

just different strokes for different folks in all parts of life "

Im the same. Laugh every time a cyclist/biker wobbles or is blinded by snow and rain.

By *he Queen of TartsWoman  over a year ago
Forum Mod

My Own Little World

I never learnt to drive, spent most of my life in East London, a bus every 3 minutes, tube 10 minutes walk away. Quicker to get where you wanted to go by public transport without having the nightmare of finding a parking space or the expense.

Where I live now, 3 buses an hour 'til 7.20 then every hour 'til 11.20...I think I need to drive

I didn't learn to drive until well in to my 20s. Sold my car when I moved to London 7 years agp and haven't owned one since. At times it is inconvenient but that inconvenience is more than offset by the financial saving. A car is a massive drain and it's pretty easy to live without one.

"jeez, if everyone who chooses not to drive, then in the next year decides to drive... FARK we would all be crying next year :P

just different strokes for different folks in all parts of life "

I like my cage.....its got proper seats and its warm and comfortable and I can put friends and other large objects in it and listen to my music in much greater safety

But then as you say different strokes

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

"I didn't learn to drive until well in to my 20s. Sold my car when I moved to London 7 years agp and haven't owned one since. At times it is inconvenient but that inconvenience is more than offset by the financial saving. A car is a massive drain and it's pretty easy to live without one. "

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

i can drive but choose not to and prefer to cycle ...we live in bristol ...the most conjested city in the country and cycling is actually quicker and alot more convenient regardless of the weather. over the last 2 years there have only been 2 days where the weather has been too bad to cycle and ive just got up earlier and walked ..ive never missed a car

I am soon driving a bigger horse lorry with full living and that worry me .. I shall take it easy and keep very local until ready as a lot of shows miles away .

living in a rural area with very few busses i felt it was essential to learn.. whilst my mates pissed up their wages i saved, learnt to drive and bought a car.

yes its expensive but needed it for work. Since ive had a child its been a blessing and truly has made life easier

i dont drive i can just about ride a bike though. i think there are enough idiot drivers on the road as it is.

"I didn't learn to drive until well in to my 20s. Sold my car when I moved to London 7 years agp and haven't owned one since. At times it is inconvenient but that inconvenience is more than offset by the financial saving. A car is a massive drain and it's pretty easy to live without one. "

Having a girl friend with a company car makes it easy to continue to live without one

crystal

i dated a guy who couldnt drive and felt odd being the 'taxi' driver lol

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I drive but lost my confidence after a few nasty accidents....hoping to get some refresher lessons soon

My sister, brother and mum and dad don't drive

I couldn't live without my car.

It depends on your lifestyle too.....I work at ALOT of gigs and festivals over summer...often finishing one night and starting at the next gig the following morning....my longest drive is rock ness, on the banks of loch ness to the isle of Wight via Southampton....I ain't doing that overnight on a bus with all my clothes and kit.......I could live without one if I stayed in the same city a lot but I go a bit cabin fever if I don't get about

I passed my test age 21, gav mu car up 2 n a half yrs ago, as couldn't afford to run it. Miss my wheels!!

Nicki didn't drive until she was 42. Her dad and ex husband had put her off with all the sexist jibes.

She lived out in the sticks and either cycled or bused around.

I taught her to drive and bought her a car. She was a natural and I barely had to say anything to teach her. Was flipping hard work getting her behind the wheel for the first time though.

She loves it now.

"I have been driving for fifteen years and just had to give up my licence for medical reasons I hate it and want to cry "

Ohh I hope you get it back lovely. I had to give mine up for 6 mths for medical reasons thought I was going to go mad. I only learnt to drive when my husband and I seperated. If we were still

Together I doubt I would of bothered

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

"I drive but lost my confidence after a few nasty accidents....hoping to get some refresher lessons soon "

good luck with that cheeky !!

By *rumCoupleCouple  over a year ago

birmingham

There's a subtle difference between not driving, and not being able to drive. When I was 17, almost everybody learned to drive, even if they had no intention of owning a car. It's the best time to do it (if you can afford it). You have the spare time, and learn quickly. Then you have a licence ... which an employer might find useful.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I would never have learnt to drive if it wasn't for the fact the railways made me redundant...

I had a railway pass.. I could go wherever i wanted, I never had the urge to learn ...

but then i did it as a kinda "FU i am not going to give you money when i was helping you out!" and started learning....

now i do drive it is nice, and liberating...

I didnt learn till i was 28:love my Independence now,still wont drive on motorways though

My OH didn't learn to drive until well into adulthood and after living with me for a while

He lived in London...no need to drive,then lived right next to a train station

I couldn't imagine life without a car. I've been driving since 18/19.

"I didn't learn to drive until well in to my 20s. Sold my car when I moved to London 7 years agp and haven't owned one since. At times it is inconvenient but that inconvenience is more than offset by the financial saving. A car is a massive drain and it's pretty easy to live without one.

It depends on your lifestyle too.....I work at ALOT of gigs and festivals over summer...often finishing one night and starting at the next gig the following morning....my longest drive is rock ness, on the banks of loch ness to the isle of Wight via Southampton....I ain't doing that overnight on a bus with all my clothes and kit.......I could live without one if I stayed in the same city a lot but I go a bit cabin fever if I don't get about "

Totally agree. Ironically I used a car most when I was racing bikes as it's the only way to get to many races. Without a car I probably couldn't have raced.

But some people think owning a car is essential when all they use it for is shopping and taking kids to school. It makes sone things easier but people are lazy and savour convenience. Yes crystal having a car helps but other than going to VA and Tease we could easily live without one with no problem (excluding the fact it's essential for her job). I'd lived outside of London for 2 years before i met her and hired a car 3 times in that time and one of them was for a house move.

"I didnt learn till i was 28:love my Independence now,still wont drive on motorways though "

i chose to do my pass plus straight after passing, glad i did else id probably have never left Devon and been afraid of Motorways

"I didn't learn to drive until well in to my 20s. Sold my car when I moved to London 7 years agp and haven't owned one since. At times it is inconvenient but that inconvenience is more than offset by the financial saving. A car is a massive drain and it's pretty easy to live without one.

It depends on your lifestyle too.....I work at ALOT of gigs and festivals over summer...often finishing one night and starting at the next gig the following morning....my longest drive is rock ness, on the banks of loch ness to the isle of Wight via Southampton....I ain't doing that overnight on a bus with all my clothes and kit.......I could live without one if I stayed in the same city a lot but I go a bit cabin fever if I don't get about

Totally agree. Ironically I used a car most when I was racing bikes as it's the only way to get to many races. Without a car I probably couldn't have raced.

But some people think owning a car is essential when all they use it for is shopping and taking kids to school. It makes sone things easier but people are lazy and savour convenience. Yes crystal having a car helps but other than going to VA and Tease we could easily live without one with no problem (excluding the fact it's essential for her job). I'd lived outside of London for 2 years before i met her and hired a car 3 times in that time and one of them was for a house move. "

I would agree with that too.....its very easy to fall into the trap of using it for absolutely everything....I try not to use it for short journeys but I must admit, a little bit of rain and I'm in it......

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

I passed my test 2 weeks ago. Took lessons when I was 17, but developed epilepsy, so couldn't continue.

Never bothered again, walked or used public transport.

Then beginning of the year, suddenly decided to do an intensive course and passed 2nd time.

I don't drive as ive never been able to afford the lessons!Each of my children started driving lessons on their 17th birthdays so they were first priority and im now at a stage where theres not much left after the mortgage and bills!

"I passed my test 2 weeks ago. Took lessons when I was 17, but developed epilepsy, so couldn't continue.

Then beginning of the year, suddenly decided to do an intensive course and passed 2nd time."

Congratulations to you

Couldn't imagine life without a car unless you live in the city,must be a nightmare!

I have acar, can drive but not passed me test yet, I can't afford the fee just yet. I start fulltime work end of the much after being unemployed for nearly a year its first thing on my list from my first pay day

By *oxy_minxWoman  over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

I past my test first time when I was 17, but I was living on my own at the time and couldn't afford a car.

Have always lived in the city centre and have had partners who could.

Since being single again, I now get everything delivered to me including weekly shop.

I tried taking some more lessons 2 years ago and realised I was petrified to drive, so I will just rely on public transport/taxi's

I can't swim

Thankfully, I need to drive to more places than I need to swim too

I cant drive... I started learning at 17 but my instructor was horrible. Used to shout at me and had no patience. I dreaded it so much I gave it up. After that I lived in city centres and moved abroad for 6 years so never needed it. And there's no way I'm learning to drive in London now!

By *ouplefunukCouple  over a year ago

North Bristol

I don't drive. You can't miss what you've never had.

Like many others, I've always lived in big City Centres (Birmingham, Bristol) where public transport is fairly good. I wouldn't drive to work anyway since parking is over £10 a day in the city centre.

I've never regretted not driving until the last week or so when I've become housebound because at 37 weeks pregnant, I can't walk as far as the bus stop

*Her*

By *uby0000Woman  over a year ago

hertfordshire

I had 70+ lessons years ago and a filthy driving instructor realised then I would never to be able to own my own car so never bothered taking the test

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"I don't drive

"

You drive me up the bloody wall

By *aravancouple OP   Man  over a year ago

A Secret Hideaway In the caravan of love

"living in a rural area with very few busses i felt it was essential to learn.. whilst my mates pissed up their wages i saved, learnt to drive and bought a car.

yes its expensive but needed it for work. Since ive had a child its been a blessing and truly has made life easier "

I don't drive, and im very happy with that thankyou lol.

"I didnt learn till i was 28:love my Independence now,still wont drive on motorways though

i chose to do my pass plus straight after passing, glad i did else id probably have never left Devon and been afraid of Motorways "

Thats really good,im not brave I admit im chicken even on my page,my ex use to do all the main driving,he laughs now as I drive 2hrs to london and back again on a party night,i would never drive out of town a year ago.my satnav gave me independance and i press avoid motorways,tolls and ferrys

I don't drive due to medical reasons, but really wish I could sometimes

Adults who have never learnt to drive

Clever people!!

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

Living in the sticks with limited public transport, I consider it essential and I passed my test just before my 18th so I've been driving 30 years now...I use public transport occasionally for socials (chuffed at only paying £35 for return train tix to Sheffield the other week) but I still had to drive 20 miles each way to get to a station that had a train back on the Sunday as Arse End has no public transport on the Sabbath

By *ancs MinxWoman  over a year ago

Burnley

"Couldn't stand not having my little car....where I want, when I want "

Living in a rural area I learnt to drive as soon as I possibly could. Passed my test within months of turning 17 and bought my first car weeks later. Public transport when I lived at home consisted of one bus a week to the local town

By *oney12Woman  over a year ago

kingston

I can't drive, I cycle everywhere!

I had lessons but didn't feel it was for me! My mum n dad dont drive either only my sis does

Couldn't afford to run a car!!

By *eedelightsWoman  over a year ago

London

I dont drive. Had some lessons in my 30s couldn't take to it. Was throwing up before each lesson, thats how much i hated it. Lucky for me live near good transport links. Yes there are days that i wish i could jump in a car and go places.

I dearly want to learn to drive but it is not happening until I find work, that will be the first thing I do.

I grew up in a rural area which was actually ok for public transport considering but at 18 moved to Reading then to Lincoln where driving wasn't necessary so just didn't get round to it at that time.

"I passed my test 2 weeks ago. Took lessons when I was 17, but developed epilepsy, so couldn't continue.

Then beginning of the year, suddenly decided to do an intensive course and passed 2nd time."

How many hours was the intensive course and how much did it set you back?

Well done too!!

People in big cities often don't as parking housing a car can be so expensive.

Living up here though its a must as public transport is sparse at times and also with the moors, hilltops and winding roads its perfect for floor on the throttle driving.

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

Then beginning of the year, suddenly decided to do an intensive course and passed 2nd time.

How many hours was the intensive course and how much did it set you back?

Well done too!!"

My course was 25 hours and cost just over £800. Practical test included.

I don't drive as personally I don't think I would be a good driver, I'm far too cautious and I'm a terrible passenger let alone driver

Mr drives tho so we can get around quite easily so never really saw the need to learn

I couldn't take myself dogging if I didn't drive and have a car.

Or get to work either. But that's far less important.

By *opping_candyWoman  over a year ago

West Yorkshire

I don't drive. I had some lessons at 18, ran out of money. A few lessons in my early 20s, took a break for getting married and honeymoon and never went back to it. Last time I decided to give it a go was when I was pregnant with my first child. After 10 minutes I had to get him to drive me home due to crippling heartburn and the desire to throw up.

haven't bothered since! I could get in a car now and confidently drive it from a to b. But I don't enjoy driving which I think is key. I find it bloody dull. I grew up with my parents not driving (dad can drive but didn't often have a car) so getting around without one has always been a way of life.

» Add a new message to this topic