FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Council House Mentality....

Council House Mentality....

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I know I am setting myself up to be shot down, battered, verbally abused etc etc!

However, this is a sincere question? What is it with the "got to apply for a council house" mentality? Where does it come from? Is it passed down from generation to generation?

The reason I ask is that it was something that I would never have and have never considered and nobody I knew growing up would have either. You left home and went in to private rented accommodation and, if lucky enough, later on in life you got a mortgage.

I know all the arguments about high private rents these days and house prices etc, but looking at the ages of a lot of people wanting council housing, they are not newly out of school but grown adults....so where have they been living and why go for a council property? I also don't understand why people who are working would apply for council housing?

Somebody said it is because you get everything done for you and you also get to buy it at a massively reduced cost after so many years.....my thoughts on that are a whole new post!!

Again, this is not written to wind people up, it is a genuine question as to where this culture comes from.....any polite explanations gladly accepted!

x

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

***iiiiiiiitttssss popcorn time!!***

i think its because council property is considerably cheaper to rent.

makes sense to save money where you can.

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

Generation to generation..in done cases..some assume it's their right but to some it vital that they are provided affordable social housing

Come on where's _nny?...

However because of the lack of social housing..local authorities can discharge duty into private rented sector

i live in my own home but my mum and dad had a council house when I was growing up until Dad got a mortgage abought it. Council houses are solid properties though, shame council dont ma them anymore good quality housing.

I'm surprised too. Had always assumed it was to help people in a tight spot, not an aspiration.

The housing situation is massively fucked though.

Social or Council Housing was originally built for Working Class people such as Miners,Railway Workers and Ex Forces.Somewhere along the line it has been taken over by the 'Jeremy Kyle' fanclub.

very true but i believe the private landlords are coining it in. I was just lucky enough at the time to be in a position to buy but it has been a hard slog. If I come back I gonna rent, cos landlords have to do repairs etc., he he

By *ScotsmanMan  over a year ago

ayrshire

England must be different cause in Scotland Thats nonsense..im in a council house its half the rent and in better condition as the exact same but private house next door,.and most of us cant afford a mortgage on our wage

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

When I was growing up people didn't buy houses like they do today. There was by far plenty of council houses. We lived in a private flat then moved to a brand new council house. It was the norm in those days

"i think its because council property is considerably cheaper to rent.

makes sense to save money where you can. "

I get that, but it was never in my mind to apply for a council house....I private rented from a very young age, even if it meant a shitty bedsit......so how come people leave school and when they want to leave home, they go straight to the council??

x

Before buying my house I was in a council flat...there's no way I could have afforded private rented and got myself on the property ladder. I paid my rent so don't see that I was 'sponging' in any way...I needed a home I could afford and the council was the way to do it for me.

I grew up in a council house, which my parents later bought too. Council housing isn't just for those looking for a first home or who are on benefits...everyone has a right to apply for and live in Local Authority Housing so why shouldn't people utilise it?

makes sense to save money where you can.

I get that, but it was never in my mind to apply for a council house....I private rented from a very young age, even if it meant a shitty bedsit......so how come people leave school and when they want to leave home, they go straight to the council??

x"

Sometimes it's a case of needing to leave Home and not having other options

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

Affordable housing.

As a council tennant I applied because I could not afford private rent.

I'm not entitled to any form of rebate as I work

I don't get everything done for me, all around me people are getting solar panels and double glazing yet I get nothing.

Your comments are unfounded and your ideas misconceived...

My parents have lived in a council house their entire lives. Worked without ever stopping for 50 years apiece so far and mum unlikely to stop til her mid seventies, always lived on minimum wage or of course before the days of minimum wage for bugger all. Not everyone living in a council house is a feckless waste of time and not everyone living is there because it was an aspiration. Some working class folks do still have their dignity intact.

By *uby0000Woman  over a year ago

hertfordshire

council rents are not that cheap and most don't buy and never get to own it

But there was plenty of affordable private housing 10/20 years ago....it is only in more recent years that it has gone to stupidly high unaffordable prices??

x

"As a council tennant I applied because I could not afford private rent.

I don't get everything done for me, all around me people are getting solar panels and double glazing yet I get nothing.

"

Which comments are unfounded? If you read my post I am just asking for explanations to help me understand??

By *extoysareusCouple  over a year ago

kinky heaven

Some people are not as far up the ladder as others

"My parents have lived in a council house their entire lives. Worked without ever stopping for 50 years apiece so far and mum unlikely to stop til her mid seventies, always lived on minimum wage or of course before the days of minimum wage for bugger all. Not everyone living in a council house is a feckless waste of time and not everyone living is there because it was an aspiration. Some working class folks do still have their dignity intact.

"

My post said nothing of the sort??

I accept that for your parent's generation, council housing was a different entity....as someone has mentioned, they used to be provided to people in the forces etc.

x

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Generation to generation..in done cases..some assume it's their right but to some it vital that they are provided affordable social housing "

As shown just today.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2605677/Mother-two-never-worked-encouraged-daughter-pregnant-council-house-easy-life-benefits.html

A

It comes from not being able to afford to rent private or buy

By *hyllyphyllyMan  over a year ago

Bradford

Some councils have sold their housing to housing associations.

"

"Some people are not as far up the ladder as others"

I don't think that it is all about that....I left home nearly 30 years ago and was initially on benefit for a short period before finding a job....I started in a shitty bedsit and thought it was heaven when I eventually moved to a one bed flat!?

x

Can I ask what you think is wrong with council housing? X

By *egan_CDTV/TS  over a year ago

In the closet

We seem to have forgotten that council houses used to be much more common until the 1980s when they were all sold off for bugger all. The problems of council ohusing shortages can all be traced directly back to this.

"It comes from not being able to

afford to rent private or buy"

What even 20 odd years ago???

"But there was plenty of affordable private housing 10/20 years ago....it is only in more recent years that it has gone to stupidly high unaffordable prices??

x "

Affordable is a very subjective thing though...money coming in isn't always in proportion to money going out! After graduating from Uni I had to take whatever job I could, and that meant I had a lower income to pay off debts as well as living costs. Renting a council house for about £300 a month rather than private rented for £400 made a big difference to me...and to be honest had I not have had some inheritance to help with a deposit on a house I'd probably have still been in that flat.

"Some councils have sold their housing to housing associations.

"

Think most have and it's actually very hard to get a house on it. And being pregnant does not guarantee you a house either.

By *ScotsmanMan  over a year ago

ayrshire

"It comes from not being able to

afford to rent private or buy

What even 20 odd years ago???

"

aye buying hooses is a new thing

Council houses are also a bit more secure, if you're renting privately, there's always the chance your landlord might want to sell up and therefore kick you out.

"Can I ask what you think is wrong with council housing? X"

I never said I thought anything was wrong with it....my post was asking where the idea to apply for council housing comes from? I can only think that it is passed down through generations of families. I am just curious that's all!

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

"Can I ask what you think is wrong with council housing? X

I never said I thought anything was wrong with it....my post was asking where the idea to apply for council housing comes from? I can only think that it is passed down through generations of families. I am just curious that's all!

"

Affordable housing.

"But there was plenty of affordable private housing 10/20 years ago....it is only in more recent years that it has gone to stupidly high unaffordable prices??

x "

10/20 years ago I still couldn't afford to purchase a house or private rent...

Unfounded as I DON'T GET EVERYTHING DONE FOR ME...

I'm now stepping away

"

On the flip side though I don't understand why someone wouldn't apply for council housing...a roof is a roof!

"

I know people who lived with parents in owned property who went into council property. They couldn't afford to buy or rent private

"

Why would it be passed down through families?

It's about what people can afford and personally I can't afford a mortgage, doesn't make us any different to anyone else who can

x

I'm now stepping away "

Who said you "get everything done for you"???? I think you are taking this post a step further in your mind and getting on the defensive....? Maybe?!

x

By *ightkitty4uWoman  over a year ago

Epsom

I applied for my council flat purely because of my friend.

Her mum had put her name down when she turned 18, come 28 she finally got a studio flat. I was 29 at the time and was fed up with paying high rents not being able to save to buy. I put my name down thought no more of it carried on renting saving etc.

6 and a half years later I got my flat. I still don't have enough to buy a home here in Surrey. I'm still working and saving and aspire to own my own home.

If it wasn't for my friend I'd still be paying for private rented shared accommodation

Affordable housing, repairs when required, gas / boiler checks up to date, no rigid house inspections, repairs completed to a good standard by reputable tradesmen.

Some privately rented properties are in worse condition than council property.

Think it could be a possible stepping stone to ease people in to the world of property..

maybe if there was a 10 year max tenancy would there be housing problems? Always allowing new people to be given a chance to move out and move on in life.. like a stepping stone

also if those who had a household income of over a certain amount be able to no longer qualify for council property?

It's about what people can afford and personally I can't afford a mortgage, doesn't make us any different to anyone else who can "

I ask because nobody I knew growing up ever mentioned or considered applying for a council house....we all went in to private rented property at young ages.....so why was it not something in our lives? The only conclusion I can think of is that it comes from families having council properties previously?

There is nothing derogatory about my post, I am not slagging off council houses etc etc, I am just curious!!

x

x

I'm now stepping away

Who said you "get everything done for you"???? I think you are taking this post a step further in your mind and getting on the defensive....? Maybe?!

x "

Quote "Somebody said it is because you get everything done for you"

i pay £700 a month for a flat that is ok. except that the carpets are thread bare, the walls need painted and the appliances in the kitchen are pretty useless. but, because its a private rent, i cant not touch or update any of them. i cant put a nice colour of paint in the walls for my girls bedroom. and im always worried about how much my rent will increase every six months. Or if my landlord will sell the flat and we have to move.

If i managed to get a social house at least i would a little security and the chance to buy appliances that actually work properly and efficiently

It's about what people can afford and personally I can't afford a mortgage, doesn't make us any different to anyone else who can

I ask because nobody I knew growing up ever mentioned or considered applying for a council house....we all went in to private rented property at young ages.....so why was it not something in our lives? The only conclusion I can think of is that it comes from families having council properties previously?

There is nothing derogatory about my post, I am not slagging off council houses etc etc, I am just curious!!

x "

I know lots of people who have never lived in council properties and circumstances make it there only option

By *litterbabeWoman  over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

x "

I think there is a higher population competing for housing, local to me there is a huge waiting list for any home.

And little room to build new...

Most land is built upon,now it's redeveloping land into smaller sccomodation units at high prices wherever and whenever possible.

"Affordable housing, repairs when required, gas / boiler checks up to date, no rigid house inspections, repairs completed to a good standard by reputable tradesmen.

Some privately rented properties are in worse condition tha

n council property."

I get the premise of council housing but maybe only I understand my post and what I was asking! Maybe the it is a generation thing and has become more of a culture over the last 20 years?

x

People apply for council housing whether on a part 6 or a part 7...in case of the part 7 a local authority will assess whether a duty will be owed to provide social housing accommodation...it really is not easy to obtain social housing anymore...Some have had their council accommodation for years when it was relatively easy to obtain...now England are facing a rise in homeless households due to expanding rents, freeze on salaries and the benefit cap...it is what it is

"Think it could be a possible stepping stone to ease people in to the world of property..

maybe if there was a 10 year max tenancy would there be housing problems? Always allowing new people to be given a chance to move out and move on in life.. like a stepping stone

also if those who had a household income of over a certain amount be able to no longer qualify for council property?

"

I agree with what you say.In my neck of the woods I see a lot of council properties with 4by4's and those American style mobile homes on their driveways.If they can afford those, then they should move on and leave the Council Property for those who's needs are greater

x

I'm now stepping away

x

Quote "Somebody said it is because you get everything done for you" "

Oh right, sorry, thought you were implying I had said it!

x

By *heHoneymonstersCouple  over a year ago

cambridge

For us we live in a high rent area, it costs over £350 more a month to go private compared to our council house and as we pay all our rent and cou cil tax ourselves £350 makes a bigggggg difference

I didn't read the OP as saying that everyone living in a council house was in some way inferior. She was asking why some people abuse the council housing system- two totally different things!!

I don't know how many council houses are available now as most (in my area at least) got sold off many years ago. All the people I know living in council houses are in genuine need- low wages/ single parents etc.

"My parents have lived in a council house their entire lives. Worked without ever stopping for 50 years apiece so far and mum unlikely to stop til her mid seventies, always lived on minimum wage or of course before the days of minimum wage for bugger all. Not everyone living in a council house is a feckless waste of time and not everyone living is there because it was an aspiration. Some working class folks do still have their dignity intact.

I accept that for your parent's generation, council housing was a different entity....as someone has mentioned, they used to be provided to people in the forces etc.

x "

Well you mention things passing down through generations so the idea that older people are included is implied as you and I are about the same age our parents are the generation that passed our values on to us. I was brought up in a council house for 25 years, it wasn't living in a council house that made me who I am but the morals and values instilled by my parents.

They say they feel the rot set in for some people during the 60's, the parents of that decade in some instances creating a downward spiral of personal standards. Not sure I agree but that's their life experience I guess.

x

I'm now stepping away

x

x"

Think someone is getting a bit defensive

"I didn't read the OP as saying that everyone living in a council house was in some way inferior. She was asking why some people abuse the council housing system- two totally different things!!

I don't know how many council houses are available now as most (in my area at least) got sold off many years ago. All the people I know living in council houses are in genuine need- low wages/ single parents etc. "

I was not asking why people abuse the system! I was asking why does it even come in to people's minds to apply for it as a first resort?? Where does that idea come from? How do they know about council housing?

x

x

I'm now stepping away

x

x

Think someone is getting a bit defensive "

Touche Mr,although I think apologetic is more appropriate!

x

as for forces getting council accommodation, that's a myth. my hubbie 'came out' 20 years ago, and we went to the council, and are still waiting....... lucky we're not homeless eh

I've got bob hope and no hope of securing social housing...I don't have kids, I'm not vulnerable and I work I live in a property that is nearly a third of my income....but it's life I have a roof over my head in a property that is somewhat affordable....there are the most vulnerable of society that don't have that and need help in obtaining housing..

Right I've decided this is a comedy of errors and misfired communication, I'm out.

x

Well you mention things passing down through generations so the idea that older people are included is implied as you and I are about the same age our parents are the generation that passed our values on to us. I was brought up in a council house for 25 years, it wasn't living in a council house that made me who I am but the morals and values instilled by my parents.

They say they feel the rot set in for some people during the 60's, the parents of that decade in some instances creating a downward spiral of personal standards. Not sure I agree but that's their life experience I guess.

"

So what I was suggesting is that the knowledge of council housing is passed down through families? That appears to be so in your case? Again, I am saying nothing about the people living in council housing, just how they know about it!

"Think it could be a possible stepping stone to ease people in to the world of property..

I agree with what you say.In my neck of the woods I see a lot of council properties with 4by4's and those American style mobile homes on their driveways.If they can afford those, then they should move on and leave the Council Property for those who's needs are greater "

"I didn't read the OP as saying that everyone living in a council house was in some way inferior. She was asking why some people abuse the council housing system- two totally different things!!

I don't know how many council houses are available now as most (in my area at least) got sold off many years ago. All the people I know living in council houses are in genuine need- low wages/ single parents etc.

I was not asking why people abuse the system! I was asking why does it even come in to people's minds to apply for it as a first resort?? Where does that idea come from? How do they know about council housing?

x"

People apply for housing because sometimes it's the only option they have, I personally did because I had no other option and needed to leave Home, then it becomes your 'home' and you make memories there and so on, why should you give that up if your happy where you are

Some people do abuse the council system and see it as a easy way to get a House but it definitely isn't anymore

"as for forces getting council accommodation, that's a myth. my hubbie 'came out' 20 years ago, and we went to the council, and are still waiting....... lucky we're not homeless eh "

this may not be a popular view point but i dont see why ex forces think they almost think they are entitled to something over someone else..

they leave with a lump sum of money and a pension.. surely with that kind of funding private rents are affordable?

x"

So are you saying when you got your first home you didn't know you could apply for council housing? I'm not trying to trip you up or imply anything, but I genuinely don't understand why someone wouldn't apply for a council house...maybe even whilst looking for private rented too? You're entitled to apply regardless of your circumstances, it just may take longer if your needs aren't deemed to be as much of a priority depending on demand for the type of property you want.

"as for forces getting council accommodation, that's a myth. my hubbie 'came out' 20 years ago, and we went to the council, and are still waiting....... lucky we're not homeless eh "

It's not a myth, a long time ago (50 years for example_, people in the army etc were handed out council housing and back then they had a choice of which one they wanted!

By *udie_GirlTV/TS  over a year ago

Rochdale

"We seem to have forgotten that council houses used to be much more common until the 1980s when they were all sold off for bugger all. The problems of council ohusing shortages can all be traced directly back to this."

Not all though. Pressures due to immigration have helped exasperate the shortages brought upon by not replacing sold off stock.

But while I'm at it, I never did understand the reasoning behind right to buy. What right was that? Unless it was just blatant vote buying in the marginal constituencies

By *ingercraftMan  over a year ago

York

x"

Apologies for misunderstanding.

x

So what I was suggesting is that the knowledge of council housing is passed down through families? That appears to be so in your case? Again, I am saying nothing about the people living in council housing, just how they know about it!

"

Housing is only passed down when there is a succession of tenancy and most don't fit that due to under occupying

x

So are you saying when you got your first home you didn't know you could apply for council housing? I'm not trying to trip you up or imply anything, but I genuinely don't understand why someone wouldn't apply for a council house...maybe even whilst looking for private rented too? You're entitled to apply regardless of your circumstances, it just may take longer if your needs aren't deemed to be as much of a priority depending on demand for the type of property you want."

That is what I am saying!! Exactly that! It was never anything considered for me and my friends!

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

x

"

The same way people know about any type of housing that's available. A combination of ways they might have friends who live in council housing, their parents might have done, they could have researched housing options on the net. Why do you think knowing about this type of housing is any different from any other? There is no "mentality" about it.

Anyway I'm on my week off from work so I'll leave this thread

in this day and age...why would most people decide to spend all their money when they dont know if they will have a job...so they CAN pay their mortgage.

As things spiral to more jobs in MANY sectors being lost(its more about technology than people stealing jobs)

By *exyLancs2Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

Best not to believe the Daily Mail either. They have never let the facts get in the way of a news item agenda. They usually pick and isolated, extreme case and pass it off as the norm.

Truth is that we do have an affordable homes shortage. Our population has risen far faster than our ability to house people.

Also, the days of 100% easy-to-get mortgages are long gone. When you consider some of the deposits required for first time buyers these days it makes me fearful for our children's generation. At least they will be working until they're in their 70's!

x

So are you saying when you got your first home you didn't know you could apply for council housing? I'm not trying to trip you up or imply anything, but I genuinely don't understand why someone wouldn't apply for a council house...maybe even whilst looking for private rented too? You're entitled to apply regardless of your circumstances, it just may take longer if your needs aren't deemed to be as much of a priority depending on demand for the type of property you want."

I had never considered it because I assumed it was for people that fell into difficulty - and I try to avoid the areas where they seem to be and so wouldn't want to live in them.

x

The same way people know about any type of housing that's available. A combination of ways they might have friends who live in council housing, their parents might have done, they could have researched housing options on the net. Why do you think knowing about this type of housing is any different from any other? There is no "mentality" about it. "

Well when I was looking for my first home we didn't have the internet for starters and your post sort of answers my question I guess...I had no family that had lived in council houses or friends so, no, It was not something that I ever considered.

By *ightkitty4uWoman  over a year ago

Epsom

"I've got bob hope and no hope of securing social housing...I don't have kids, I'm not vulnerable and I work I live in a property that is nearly a third of my income....but it's life I have a roof over my head in a property that is somewhat affordable....there are the most vulnerable of society that don't have that and need help in obtaining housing.."

I thought the same I work, have no children, am single yet I got a place, took 6 and a half years though!!

"i live in my own home but my mum and dad had a council house when I was growing up until Dad got a mortgage abought it. Council houses are solid properties though, shame council dont ma them anymore good quality housing. "

Ha ha you want to come and check mine out, solid it ain't I can tell you given I have just had a new kitchen fitted and the walls were in a dire state along with the wiring, health and safety would shut me down if I was a business

Forum Mod

East Sussex

x

The same way people know about any type of housing that's available. A combination of ways they might have friends who live in council housing, their parents might have done, they could have researched housing options on the net. Why do you think knowing about this type of housing is any different from any other? There is no "mentality" about it.

Well when I was looking for my first home we didn't have the internet for starters and your post sort of answers my question I guess...I had no family that had lived in council houses or friends so, no, It was not something that I ever considered."

How did you know about the other forms of housing available?

x

Well when I was looking for my first home we didn't have the internet for starters and your post sort of answers my question I guess...I had no family that had lived in council houses or friends so, no, It was not something that I ever considered.

How did you know about the other forms of housing available?"

Other forms? What other forms? as far as I was aware there were flats/bedsits available and there was an accommodation agency that advertised them? Why?

As I wS evicted from forces accommodation because my husband left me I went to the council with a baby and a 4 yr old. I got fuck all help I am in private rent in 8 years I have had to move 4 times because either rent has increased I can't afford, landlord decided to no longer rent it. I am lucky now that I am able to have a dog now, decorAte how I want and I am paying around £200 a mth less than the going rate but it is still more than £150 more than a council house.

I would love social housing as it would give my family security I moved around following my ex husband I just want to be able up live without fear of having to move again

"as for forces getting council accommodation, that's a myth. my hubbie 'came out' 20 years ago, and we went to the council, and are still waiting....... lucky we're not homeless eh

It's not a myth, a long time ago (50 years for example_, people in the army etc were handed out council housing and back then they had a choice of which one they wanted!"

I think, and I may be wrong, and I'm not up for an argument, but I think they had to join a waiting list, and yes you could choose the area you preferred to live in

x

So are you saying when you got your first home you didn't know you could apply for council housing? I'm not trying to trip you up or imply anything, but I genuinely don't understand why someone wouldn't apply for a council house...maybe even whilst looking for private rented too? You're entitled to apply regardless of your circumstances, it just may take longer if your needs aren't deemed to be as much of a priority depending on demand for the type of property you want.

I had never considered it because I assumed it was for people that fell into difficulty - and I try to avoid the areas where they seem to be and so wouldn't want to live in them."

I can understand that...some council estates aren't the nicest places to live but many (if not most) are fine. I did however live in a rough one, but it was home and it's what I was used to so I wan't bothered...where I live now can be too quiet for me sometimes! If I ever had to though, I'd have no issue with applying for a council house/flat again, although rents in my area are starting to creep up to a similar level to private rented, and I know I pay less a month in mortgage than a friend in a similar house pays in council rent

[Removed by poster at 16/04/14 23:25:31]

Forum Mod

East Sussex

", It was not something that I ever considered.

Other forms? What other forms? as far as I was aware there were flats/bedsits available and there was an accommodation agency that advertised them? Why?"

Because you must have found out from somewhere or someone, all I'm saying is that the way you found out is the way people found out about council houses, there's no big mystery.

", It was not something that I ever considered.

Other forms? What other forms? as far as I was aware there were flats/bedsits available and there was an accommodation agency that advertised them? Why?

Because you must have found out from somewhere or someone, all I'm saying is that the way you found out is the way people found out about council houses, there's no big mystery."

I guess I knew as all my friends were in private accommodation, the same way then that people find out about council property then from friends and families?

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

I've had my own house since I was 18....Thatcher's generation of buying a home in. My case...I don't look down on those who live I. Social accommodation, as I managed to sort my Mam into social housing when she needed it...I see where the OP is coming from int that I reckon they're referring to those who expect a council house and to have it paid for...many folk live in social housing who pay thieir rent , I have no problems with that

"I've had my own house since I was 18....Thatcher's generation of buying a home in. My case...I don't look down on those who live I. Social accommodation, as I managed to sort my Mam into social housing when she needed it...I see where the OP is coming from int that I reckon they're referring to those who expect a council house and to have it paid for...many folk live in social housing who pay thieir rent , I have no problems with that "

how much is it to rent ur arse?

Many areas built large council estates for the overspill of London. This was in the 60s. These council homes were the norm for my parents generation, who then had the opportunity of buying them in the 80s (and losing them in the 90s due to the recession and extreme interest rates).

My first home was a council house. My first property was an ex council house. My ex and I went onto purchase a home because the council wouldn't let us have a bigger home. I never wanted to buy due to my parents awful experience. As for private renting, well I'd not heard of that at the time.

By *bony in IvoryCouple  over a year ago

Black&White Utopia

Many moons ago there were " engaged couple lists" for council housing! There for a couple to have a start .. . Is a huge misconception that council housing is easy to get now . Even those in great need are unable to get a council house as quickly as many assume . As for the rent, some council rents are very expensive too . I know of whole council estates that are now 80% privatly owned here in London . There are many new builds popping up all over.. Is a total nightmare to try get your foot on the property ladder these days. So very glad i did it 30 years ago

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I've taken out the O.P's question from the O.P and quoted it below....

However, this is a sincere question? What is it with the "got to apply for a council house" mentality? Where does it come from? Is it passed down from generation to generation?

I don't know anyone who thinks they have GOT to apply for a council house. I do know people who apply for council housing and I cannot understand why anyone would consider this anything other than the norm.

Pre first world war people had the choice to : - lodge in someone elses house , rent a room in someone elses house, live in the cellar of someone elses house, share rooms with other families or live in the workhouse if destitute or be homeless.

Only the rich and titled or new middle classes ( post industrialisation ) owned houses or land. Not the ordinary man.

Cut to the end of first world war after we were flattened by the Germans.

Clement Atlee rallied the population with the cry of HOMES fit for HEROES. The Gvt pledged to build homes fit for our returning soldiers and their families and the rest of the nation.

Social housing began. It also gained momentum as it stopped many of the illnesses like cholera etc that were rife when people lived in cramped poverty.

Why should anyone buy ?

Social housing wasn't intended to be the last resort for the destitute. It was intended to be 'affordable' , sanitary, happy conditions for human beings for anyone who lived in Britain.

Why should anyone fall BACK into the hands of landlords who do little to maintain properties but keep rents high?

The shortage of social housing now isn't due to immigrants or any other moral panic that people want to put forward.

It's due in part to the selling off of council houses in the eighties but mostly due to lack of government investment in building.

A great many people don't earn sufficient to raise a mortgage so it beats me why they would want to enter into renting private properties where rents can be as high if not higher than mortgages.

I grew up on a council estate. Council houses then were better than anything you could rent from a private Landlord ( for the lower paid that is ) ask anyone mty age about Rachman and Rachmaninism.

The only reason I bought was because it gave me the freedom to some extent to decide where I live.

We may as well ask why people use public transport instead of cars, public libraries instead of buying books , public swimming instead of owning our own pool... etc etc...

Council houses aren't and never were cheap to rent.

No one who tries to get a council house is begging or looking for a freebie. They are not allowed to alter the houses in anyway and it's right that the council pay for wear and tear. It is after all their property not the tenants.

"We seem to have forgotten that council houses used to be much more common until the 1980s when they were all sold off for bugger all. The problems of council ohusing shortages can all be traced directly back to this."

Yep and now those council blocks bought up by people in say the east end are rented out 4 £££££ there should be a cap on what private landlords can charge.

Omg

You make it sound like us young folk in these areas think, great I want one of those flats ! We don't! Plus In my area you are taken off the list now if ur parents have room for u. Were 4 of us in a 2bed flat yet we are not overcrowded according to the council.

You make it sound so easy to get a council flat! It's not. And do I want one .. No! But some people can't live with there family and so they need a council flat!

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

"

Yep and now those council blocks bought up by people in say the east end are rented out 4 £££££ there should be a cap on what private landlords can charge. "

should there also be a cap on the fixtures and fittings that a landlord spends getting there property ready to go to market ?

"

Yep and now those council blocks bought up by people in say the east end are rented out 4 £££££ there should be a cap on what private landlords can charge.

should there also be a cap on the fixtures and fittings that a landlord spends getting there property ready to go to market ?"

I understand landlords need to make money please I'm not bashing them. However a damp dirty house in east London can charge what the hell they like and know one can stop them and because so many ppl need places to live they put up and pay and I don't think that's right. I used to rent off a lovely couple who looked after there house and charged fair rent. Happy days.

"as for forces getting council accommodation, that's a myth. my hubbie 'came out' 20 years ago, and we went to the council, and are still waiting....... lucky we're not homeless eh

this may not be a popular view point but i dont see why ex forces think they almost think they are entitled to something over someone else..

they leave with a lump sum of money and a pension.. surely with that kind of funding private rents are affordable? "

Married service personnel are entitled to a married quarter so they already live in the MOD equivalent of a council house. After something like 22 years of service many still do not have the ability to buy a house or perhaps the mind set that they need to.

Like most that have posted here, my parents lived in council accommodation until they could afford to buy. I on the other hand privately rented when I left home, eventually buying a house with the ex-wife.

When it was broken into she did not feel safe, even though I tried to keep the house My family eventually had to sell ended up moving back in with my parents. When this happened, I cleared all the debts we had and applied for social housing. It took two years to get a house she liked and we lived there happily until the divorce.

I then moved back to my parents then into the council flat I live in now with my daughter, (eventually all my children lived with me and she kept the house.). Now with two flown the nest and the last in high school, working full time the only discount I get is single occupancy discount on the council tax.

I want to buy a home but the wages only just cover all the expenses of living therefore I shall be remaining in council property until I die (unless I win the lottery).

All social (or council) housing is subsidised by the tax payer in some way or other. Perhaps the most direct way being via the private housing sector through section 106 agreements. Section 106 amongst other things requires builders to provide a certain number of "affordable" houses with every new private development.

Builders pass the cost of this subsidised housing on to the new house purchasers via an increase in the price thereby raising the bar and forcing more people into affordable housing.

The purpose of social housing is to provide affordable housing in areas where the commercial cost of housing would be prohibitively high for those earning less than the national average wage (circa £26,000 per annum).

Society, even the rich, needs access to the services of lower paid so it is not a good plan to force them to live very far away from where they are needed. If therefore a person brought up in a council house in, say, Chelsea wishes to work in London it is very likely they will aspire to live in subsidised housing because private housing will never be affordable near where they work.

One of the main benefits historically about renting social housing over private rented - was that you tended to get an Assured Tenancy - tenancy for life. So far more permanence to it rather than private renting & never knowing when you may get NTQ. Plus the council etc do the repairs & have to abide by Decent Homes Standards .

Nowadays the Local Authority waiting lists are far more rigorously enforced than they used to be. Limited supply means no point being on the list if your housing need is tiny.

Yes - some families probably do have generations that have been in Social Housing- doesn't mean they've all been on benefits . And even if they have, the welfare system is there for a reason - yes it's abused but not by everyone that's using it . The housing list is not exclusive & some people end up applying who would never have expected to.

Like anything - the need is there which is why it exists.

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

"I've had my own house since I was 18....Thatcher's generation of buying a home in. My case...I don't look down on those who live I. Social accommodation, as I managed to sort my Mam into social housing when she needed it...I see where the OP is coming from int that I reckon they're referring to those who expect a council house and to have it paid for...many folk live in social housing who pay thieir rent , I have no problems with that

how much is it to rent ur arse?"

17p for you Paddy...but don't tell anyone or they'll all want a piece of it

This thread Iv thought long and hard bout it kept coming back rereading it, I'm a council tenant and proud my parents before me were council tenants and proud too Iv never had a problem or felt inferior bout being in a council house, ppl are employed by the council to maintain an upkeep said council houses therefore a whole entire workforce employed by and for this council house mentality. I really don't get this snobbery regards a council house tenant

council tenants are more dirty

that's a sexual compliment honest

"council tenants are more dirty

that's a sexual compliment honest "

:-/

Some people believe they have a right to healthcare too, funny that

Its about your belief system.

The socialists believe that the state should ensure their people have a home and healthcare and this has been understood by some to mean they have a right to access.

The other option is to leave it to the market and the private sector. That would have the price set by the demand and supply. Too few houses would make it expensive, as would too few doctors with health. The sick would live in the street!

The middle road is for the state to incentive the builders to provide affordable housing, however that can be cheap construction.

Before all this the feudal system of landed gentry was an option. You were given a house by your employer that you kept as long as you were employed. When you retired you woukd have to leave and move into the poor house. We could always try that again ..... Hold on with the wealthy all going buy-to-let perhaps we are heading that way ... Housing in shortage, landlords setting the price, ... Perhaps there is a business to be had providing poor houses across the county to address the ageing population who can't afford the market set rent any longer!!

I think that the answer has been posted over and over again. Social housing is cheaper and more secure than the private rented sector. So maybe the original poster should have asked why did I never consider council housing while growing up. Did you see a stigma in doing so or was it simply that where you wanted to live didn't have any social Housing

you just get what you can afford or whats available.

i suppose if it makes people feel like they are better people because they dont need to live in a council flat or house then good for them and well done.

By *adyGardenWoman  over a year ago

LONDON (se)

I rented privately when I first moved out of my mums. I loved it but my priorities changed when I had my daughter. I was going to go back to work but I couldn't bare to leave her so I quit. We couldn't afford to live there on one salary and applied for social housing. Took about a year to get a place during which time we lived with his parents. 12 years later I still live in that flat which is in the loft of a Victorian house. I'm not entitled to buy mine but would have done if I could. I feel lucky to have my place and yes after the difficulties we went through I do feel I deserved it.

I don't think young people coming straight from their parents home do as there are people and families out their much more deserving than them.

as there wasnt any affordable places for people where i live to rent they built flats especialy for young local people. we live in a council house but its in a nice area, not a big estate just 2 roads. most of the houses have been bought. my son moved out and rented a flat privatly but had to move back in with us when he lost his job.

we got a council house because we had a child but i dont think its a good idea to have kids then expect a council house especialy as there arent enough of them.

It's not a myth, a long time ago (50 years for example_, people in the army etc were handed out council housing and back then they had a choice of which one they wanted!

I think, and I may be wrong, and I'm not up for an argument, but I think they had to join a waiting list, and yes you could choose the area you preferred to live in"

They are not handed out any more to ex service men and their families the time spent in a married quarter is classed as being in a council property and can choose where they want to live. this only applies to the service personnel so if like me you had spent years moving following your husband around the country in married quarters then need to go on the council list the rules don't apply to ex spouses and count for nothing. They will happily refer you to the local council you originate from but it don't entitle you to anything else

"I think that the answer has been posted over and over again. Social housing is cheaper and more secure than the private rented sector. So maybe the original poster should have asked why did I never consider council housing while growing up. Did you see a stigma in doing so or was it simply that where you wanted to live didn't have any social Housing "

The whole point of the post was that I did not consider Council Housing because it never even came in to the thought process of me or my friends.....we just automatically went in to private rented accommodation....so my question really was why do/did people automatically go straight to the council to go on a list for housing as opposed to going in to private accommodation? I am talking more of 20/30 years ago for those of similar age to me, not currently.....back then there was plenty of affordable private rented accommodation, whether working or not, and in my experience the thoughts of dodgy landlord's, repairs etc etc was never thought about as a teenager...that is something that we start to think of as we get older...we just got on with it, no matter how basic the accommodation.

I wish we had a council house - our road is a mix of council and owned, and you can tell the difference. The council houses have 2 or 3 cars, usually BMWs, Mercs etc - they have new roofs, new fencing after the high winds and a friend of ours who lives in one has had a new kitchen and a new boiler put in. We spent the winter freezing cold because we couldn't afford to have our boiler fixed or replaced. Can't even afford a rented place, because the rents are higher than our monthly mortgage payments. We both spent the first few years of our married life in a tiny studio flat working every hour of overtime possible just to afford the deposit.

Can't be arsed to read it all so forgive me if this point has already been made, our first home was a council house as this was the cheapest option as newly weds at the age of 18 but we left it to move to a new town, huge mistake! We then had to private rent, cost way more, landlords rarely fix any problems and as young parents we never found ourselves in a position to save a deposit to buy so we left ourselves at the mercy of landlords that could decide at any time to sellthe house and then yyou have to find the money to up and move again plus new deposit and rent up front whereas council you sit tight and behave your in a safe position for a house for life and with the rent being less then you have the opportunity to save a deposit

We still private rent and have it hanging over us that it's never permanent. Wish we had never given our council house up,would of bought it by now I'm certain

"Generation to generation..in done cases..some assume it's their right but to some it vital that they are provided affordable social housing

As shown just today.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2605677/Mother-two-never-worked-encouraged-daughter-pregnant-council-house-easy-life-benefits.html

A"

I dont understand women like that, you think that they would be wanting better for their kids not just to end up like them i know i would if i had a daughter.

we know people who are living in housing association flats they have a baby then moan because they havnt got a garden, well they were lucky enough to have a flat in the first place.

the simple fact is a lot of ppl cannot afford or cannot get offered a mortgage as the wages they get will not cover it.average property prices in london are an eye watering 360k and with all the best will in the world ppl on average wages are never going to afford that

my parents lived in a council property, and were lucky enough to buy it, in 1983 for 13k.

if it were not for council properties, or latterly housing association, then i would have never been able to afford to move out of home.

the same goes for my older brother, although the shit he is doing is a little distasteful for my own mind, but thats for another time.

my younger brother doesnt fit the criteria for council help, so he is having to save up a deposit to buy as him and his kids (when they stay with him) are crammed into a bedroom at my parents.

he has, so far, been getting it together ofr around 5 years.

this is why council properties are so popular.

its the only way some people will ever be independent.

By *arrasCouple  over a year ago

North West

Is it just me or is it rather ironic that someone is professing the virtues of conservatism on a Swingers site?

Communal sex and sharing partners is fine... But social housing that's just too far: bloody liberal lefty progressives!!! It's the thin end of the wedge I tell you! *wags finger angrily*

By *john121Man  over a year ago

staffs

It was Thatchers Government that came along with the right to buy policy as the costs of maintaining social housing was unaffordable.

Social housing was a result of the poor state of tenement housing and WW2 bombing raids which destroyed most of the poor housing in major cities and ports.

also the creation of new towns meant that more affordable housing was required for the new generations and the advent of manufacturing, heavy industry, coal and ship building etc..now as a lot of these industries became privatized or moved overseas and became less competitive or simply failed unemployment rose and the costs escalated, coupled with the substandard buildings (high rises)etc

Sadly for some they didn't consider all the implications and costs they'd now be responsible for. coupled with periods of high unemployment as pits, car manufacturing (sub standard) and other industries failed these estates more often than not of very poor construction and planing became the estates we see today which can be no go areas.

"Is it just me or is it rather ironic that someone is professing the virtues of conservatism on a Swingers site?

Communal sex and sharing partners is fine... But social housing that's just too far: bloody liberal lefty progressives!!! It's the thin end of the wedge I tell you! *wags finger angrily*"

Who said that??

"It was Thatchers Government that came along with the right to buy policy as the costs of maintaining social housing was unaffordable.

Social housing was a result of the poor state of tenement housing and WW2 bombing raids which destroyed most of the poor housing in major cities and ports.

also the creation of new towns meant that more affordable housing was required for the new generations and the advent of manufacturing, heavy industry, coal and ship building etc..now as a lot of these industries became privatized or moved overseas and became less competitive or simply failed unemployment rose and the costs escalated, coupled with the substandard buildings (high rises)etc

Sadly for some they didn't consider all the implications and costs they'd now be responsible for. coupled with periods of high unemployment as pits, car manufacturing (sub standard) and other industries failed these estates more often than not of very poor construction and planing became the estates we see today which can be no go areas.

"

No what thatcher promised was the the revenue that was made from right to buy would be regenerated into building more social housing...which never happened...local authorities are relying on housing associations to do the building...

Council houses

Long waiting lists has anyone tried to get on the waiting list only to be there 5 years later.

Bedroom tax people having to downsize and leaving good housing stock empty.

Ps I am in a two bedroom council flat and sharing a room with my 11 year old so my eldest can concentrate on her GCSE.

I pay rent council tax and service charge if report a fault/repair then its a 28 days notice. Had a fence blow down in the bad weather and had to pay to have it repaired and light bulb went in the bathroom could not get the case of so crosskeys wanted to charge me £98 to change a light bulb.

And now they want to charge for having brown bin emptied.

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

makes sense to save money where you can. "

I think some also consider it a "safe" option too. Loads of benefits - as long as the rent`s paid and you keep your nose clean you have a house "for life", repairs and maintainance done with little hassle and no fear of your landlord changing their mind and kicking you out because they want to upgrade/ want it for themselves / sell up.

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

"It was Thatchers Government that came along with the right to buy policy as the costs of maintaining social housing was unaffordable.

No what thatcher promised was the the revenue that was made from right to buy would be regenerated into building more social housing...which never happened...local authorities are relying on housing associations to do the building..."

YES! 100% correct!

"I think that the answer has been posted over and over again. Social housing is cheaper and more secure than the private rented sector. So maybe the original poster should have asked why did I never consider council housing while growing up. Did you see a stigma in doing so or was it simply that where you wanted to live didn't have any social Housing

The whole point of the post was that I did not consider Council Housing because it never even came in to the thought process of me or my friends.....we just automatically went in to private rented accommodation....so my question really was why do/did people automatically go straight to the council to go on a list for housing as opposed to going in to private accommodation? I am talking more of 20/30 years ago for those of similar age to me, not currently.....back then there was plenty of affordable private rented accommodation, whether working or not, and in my experience the thoughts of dodgy landlord's, repairs etc etc was never thought about as a teenager...that is something that we start to think of as we get older...we just got on with it, no matter how basic the accommodation."

Being brought up on a council estate, the natural progression was to continue. There was no question of private rented accommodation.

By *ctaviusStuntMan  over a year ago

plymouth

Thank god for the daily mail and its readers, as us scum would be lost without you all giving us summat perfect to aspire to.

"Thank god for the daily mail and its readers, as us scum would be lost without you all giving us summat perfect to aspire to."

What is it that you're aspiring to?

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Hereford

"I've taken out the O.P's question from the O.P and quoted it below....

I don't know anyone who thinks they have GOT to apply for a council house. I do know people who apply for council housing and I cannot understand why anyone would consider this anything other than the norm.

Pre first world war people had the choice to : - lodge in someone elses house , rent a room in someone elses house, live in the cellar of someone elses house, share rooms with other families or live in the workhouse if destitute or be homeless.

Only the rich and titled or new middle classes ( post industrialisation ) owned houses or land. Not the ordinary man.

Clement Atlee rallied the population with the cry of HOMES fit for HEROES. The Gvt pledged to build homes fit for our returning soldiers and their families and the rest of the nation.

Social housing began. It also gained momentum as it stopped many of the illnesses like cholera etc that were rife when people lived in cramped poverty.

Why should anyone buy ?

Social housing wasn't intended to be the last resort for the destitute. It was intended to be 'affordable' , sanitary, happy conditions for human beings for anyone who lived in Britain.

Why should anyone fall BACK into the hands of landlords who do little to maintain properties but keep rents high?

The shortage of social housing now isn't due to immigrants or any other moral panic that people want to put forward.

It's due in part to the selling off of council houses in the eighties but mostly due to lack of government investment in building.

A great many people don't earn sufficient to raise a mortgage so it beats me why they would want to enter into renting private properties where rents can be as high if not higher than mortgages.

I grew up on a council estate. Council houses then were better than anything you could rent from a private Landlord ( for the lower paid that is ) ask anyone mty age about Rachman and Rachmaninism.

The only reason I bought was because it gave me the freedom to some extent to decide where I live.

We may as well ask why people use public transport instead of cars, public libraries instead of buying books , public swimming instead of owning our own pool... etc etc...

No one who tries to get a council house is begging or looking for a freebie. They are not allowed to alter the houses in anyway and it's right that the council pay for wear and tear. It is after all their property not the tenants.

"

Good post, but I can't believe this actually needs explaining to people.

Also; isn't it better that your rent goes into the public coffer for things like hospitals, schools etc rather than lining the pockets of some private landlord?

Why should anyone buy ?

Also; isn't it better that your rent goes into the public coffer for things like hospitals, schools etc rather than lining the pockets of some private landlord?"

The rent does not go to hospitals,schools it goes to keep the local authority afloat

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Hereford

"

The rent does not go to hospitals,schools it goes to keep the local authority afloat "

It is still the public purse, which is far better than placing even more money in the hands of the greedy.

Do councils see anything of RSL profits?

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Do councils see anything of RSL profits?"

No. At least not in Scotland.

Local authorities often make a contribution to the cost of building social housing in return for allocation rights over a %age of homes.

"Do councils see anything of RSL profits?"

No they don't as _nny said the rsl have to allocate certain of percentage of their properties to the council

Glasgow

"Do councils see anything of RSL profits?

No they don't as _nny said the rsl have to allocate certain of percentage of their properties to the council "

And, in theory at least, RSLs ought not to make profit.

"Do councils see anything of RSL profits?

No they don't as _nny said the rsl have to allocate certain of percentage of their properties to the council

And, in theory at least, RSLs ought not to make profit."

In theory no...but they do...some put in back into the business..some give staff bonus etc

Glasgow

Staff bonuses wouldn't be legal in Scotland.

a girl i knew got pregnant and the kids dad said he would support and they would move out and blah blah blah. he fucked off 3 months into her pregnancy and she is now in a 2 bedroom council house because he promised he would do his best for his family (her and the child). she does not work as noone wants to hire a single mother with very little in the way of qualifications add to that Dyslexia and dyspraxia. she is stuck where she is and if it wern't for the council house she would be screwed and so would her now 3 year old son. for some people it offers them help and support to become independent, for some it's a step on the property ladder and for some it's a cow to be milked. and before we whine about people claiming £70 a week in JSA and £15 a week per child in Child Benefit don't forget we have millionaire politicians wasting fortunes telling us to be more careful with our money

"Staff bonuses wouldn't be legal in Scotland."

Well it is here

"and before we whine about people claiming £70 a week in JSA and £15 a week per child in Child Benefit don't forget we have millionaire politicians wasting fortunes telling us to be more careful with our money "

That makes it ok then. Where do I sign?

all I am saying is before bashing on the poor remember we have alot of rich people calling the shots. I in no way said "people should just get everything for free".

The way things are going it wont be long before the Victorian work houses are reopened so all single mums, benefit claimants and disabled people to live x

LONDON (se)

"Council houses

Long waiting lists has anyone tried to get on the waiting list only to be there 5 years later.

Ps I am in a two bedroom council flat and sharing a room with my 11 year old so my eldest can concentrate on her GCSE.

I pay rent council tax and service charge if report a fault/repair then its a 28 days notice. Had a fence blow down in the bad weather and had to pay to have it repaired and light bulb went in the bathroom could not get the case of so crosskeys wanted to charge me £98 to change a light bulb.

"

You can't change your own light bulb?

"Council houses

You can't change your own light bulb?"

I can I just could not get the case off the light fitting is one of those need to put a coin in the lip to release it I tried my neighbour and my dad tried none of us could do it x

LONDON (se)

"Council houses

You can't change your own light bulb?

I can I just could not get the case off the light fitting is one of those need to put a coin in the lip to release it I tried my neighbour and my dad tried none of us could do it x"

Ah ok

Shall let you off then

"The way things are going it wont be long before the Victorian work houses are reopened so all single mums, benefit claimants and disabled people to live x"

When they reopen them it'll be as luxury apartments, albeit with some designated for affordable housing.

'Benefit claimants' is a very broad category.

"The way things are going it wont be long before the Victorian work houses are reopened so all single mums, benefit claimants and disabled people to live x

When they reopen them it'll be as luxury apartments, albeit with some designated for affordable housing.

'Benefit claimants' is a very broad category."

Ah but what happened before welfare x

"Many areas built large council estates for the overspill of London. This was in the 60s. These council homes were the norm for my parents generation, who then had the opportunity of buying them in the 80s (and losing them in the 90s due to the recession and extreme interest rates).

My first home was a council house. My first property was an ex council house. My ex and I went onto purchase a home because the council wouldn't let us have a bigger home. I never wanted to buy due to my parents awful experience. As for private renting, well I'd not heard of that at the time."

Fuck that's a nice arse non-vanilla cupcake .. ... Ooops, sorry, of piste on the thread. Distracted ... Squirrel!!

plymouth

Why should anyone buy ?

Also; isn't it better that your rent goes into the public coffer for things like hospitals, schools etc rather than lining the pockets of some private landlord?"

it doesnt need explaining its just one of those same old boring hate the working class or anyone on a benefit threads thinly disguised as a "serious innocent question"

people who post this shite always remind me of a boy in my junior school who got free school meals. Some other kids saw this as some sort of unfair benefit and bullied him for it. I see no difference here.

"Many areas built large council estates for the overspill of London. This was in the 60s. These council homes were the norm for my parents generation, who then had the opportunity of buying them in the 80s (and losing them in the 90s due to the recession and extreme interest rates).

My first home was a council house. My first property was an ex council house. My ex and I went onto purchase a home because the council wouldn't let us have a bigger home. I never wanted to buy due to my parents awful experience. As for private renting, well I'd not heard of that at the time.

Fuck that's a nice arse non-vanilla cupcake .. ... Ooops, sorry, of piste on the thread. Distracted ... Squirrel!!"

It loves a spanking .

Why should anyone buy ?

Also; isn't it better that your rent goes into the public coffer for things like hospitals, schools etc rather than lining the pockets of some private landlord?

it doesnt need explaining its just one of those same old boring hate the working class or anyone on a benefit threads thinly disguised as a "serious innocent question"

people who post this shite always remind me of a boy in my junior school who got free school meals. Some other kids saw this as some sort of unfair benefit and bullied him for it. I see no difference here."

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"

people who post this shite always remind me of a boy in my junior school who got free school meals. Some other kids saw this as some sort of unfair benefit and bullied him for it. I see no difference here."

Yep!

You've just reminded me very sharply of something that happened when I was 11, I was entitled to free school meals then a change in policy meant I was no longer entitled. The teacher wrote my name on the board in the classroom with "is no longer entitled to free school meals" underneath it...the bitch. Everyone saw it of course although nobody made fun of me but I felt humiliated and ashamed...oh we also lived in a council house at the time plus ca change!

"I know I am setting myself up to be shot down, battered, verbally abused etc etc!

The reason I ask is that it was something that I would never have and have never considered and nobody I knew growing up would have either. You left home and went in to private rented accommodation and, if lucky enough, later on in life you got a mortgage.

I know all the arguments about high private rents these days and house prices etc, but looking at the ages of a lot of people wanting council housing, they are not newly out of school but grown adults....so where have they been living and why go for a council property? I also don't understand why people who are working would apply for council housing?

Somebody said it is because you get everything done for you and you also get to buy it at a massively reduced cost after so many years.....my thoughts on that are a whole new post!!

Again, this is not written to wind people up, it is a genuine question as to where this culture comes from.....any polite explanations gladly accepted!

x "

Why shouldn't people apply for council housing ?

"

Well said

"England must be different cause in Scotland Thats nonsense..im in a council house its half the rent and in better condition as the exact same but private house next door,.and most of us cant afford a mortgage on our wage "

By *etwifeWoman  over a year ago

hanworth

People working should get priority for council housing rather than the pond life who never done days work in there life

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"People working should get priority for council housing rather than the pond life who never done days work in there life"

well I do think its fair that people get priority over fish or newts yes.

One of Thatchers wonderful ideas, to help us all become home owners. Unfortunately, in the real world, there will always be those with, and those without. It does amaze me though, that in the 21st century, we are all still arguing about one of life's basic needs. A roof over your head.

"People working should get priority for council housing rather than the pond life who never done days work in there life"

It is assessed on need and the priority that people have in obtaining social housing...so whether you are working or not does not make a difference...if you fit in the following creteria then you are in need whether working or not...

Eligible

Homeless

Priority need

Intentionality

Local connection...

"I know I am setting myself up to be shot down, battered, verbally abused etc etc!

x "

I would hate to have to rent pvt and try saving for a mortgage,and is that not what council houses are there for ppl who can not afford to buy a house.And there is also a lot of as you say older ppl now their house are paid for selling them and trying to move into council houses and enjoy the cash from the sale of their house, and why not

x "

I'm quite surprised that when you were growing up nobody mentioned council housing

Forum Mod

East Sussex

x

I'm quite surprised that when you were growing up nobody mentioned council housing "

I suspect there just wasn't the "council house mentality"

We only have a cpl of years to go and we will be mortgage free, and this EX council house will all be ours, and no we did not buy it as a council tenant we bought it pvt, now would we do it again, no not in this day and age

x

I'm quite surprised that when you were growing up nobody mentioned council housing

I suspect there just wasn't the "council house mentality" "

x

I would hate to have to rent pvt and try saving for a mortgage,and is that not what council houses are there for ppl who can not afford to buy a house.And there is also a lot of as you say older ppl now their house are paid for selling them and trying to move into council houses and enjoy the cash from the sale of their house, and why not"

Making themselves intentionally homeless wouldn't qualify them as eligible, surely.

x

I would hate to have to rent pvt and try saving for a mortgage,and is that not what council houses are there for ppl who can not afford to buy a house.And there is also a lot of as you say older ppl now their house are paid for selling them and trying to move into council houses and enjoy the cash from the sale of their house, and why not

Making themselves intentionally homeless wouldn't qualify them as eligible, surely."

Should not do years ago if you sold your house, you had to use that money to rent Pvt or buy, these day's loads do it and don't seem to have much problem getting council accommodation

By *issHottieBottieWoman  over a year ago

Kent

I live in social housing.

Private rented for years after I next home. Then was running a pub and lived on the premises (which I did have to pay rent from my wage and some bills) The landlord decided to sell up and the new owners wanted to live in the flat themselves.

With deposits, rent in advance and security checks for renting agencies there was no way I could get the money together to private rent.

So I applied for a place where I live now. Fortunately a one bed flat came up pretty quickly. I started working full time shortly after. Then I met my ex and he moved in, after I fell pregnant I was lucky to move to a 2 bed flat. I'd started saving for a deposit to move to a house but when my ex left he took some appliances and furniture and I had to use my savings to replace them.

So to answer the question.. I applied as I didn't the money upfront needed for a private rent.

x

I had never considered it because I assumed it was for people that fell into difficulty - and I try to avoid the areas where they seem to be and so wouldn't want to live in them."

Dont be SO naive. Social housing property's are every street up& down the country. If your privately renting in any area paying £900 pcm ther only paying £450. It pays to rent through a social housing association save up & get a mortgage. Ftr each new housing building complex houses 45% social housing so they are everywhere not just in crime places.

I know pond life who work

Ok so come where you put those so called pond life to live, so seem to have all the answer

plymouth

"We seem to have forgotten that council houses used to be much more common until the 1980s when they were all sold off for bugger all. The problems of council ohusing shortages can all be traced directly back to this.

One of Thatchers wonderful ideas, to help us all become home owners. Unfortunately, in the real world, there will always be those with, and those without. It does amaze me though, that in the 21st century, we are all still arguing about one of life's basic needs. A roof over your head."

the selling of council housing was a hateful idealogy in the same way many of the govts policys are today. thatchers sell of was to gain votes to keep her grip on power, like many policys they arent done in the interest of the public but in a selfish interest for power and therefore very short sighted and intended to satisfy a need for immediate selfish gratification. Interestingly thats a trait of psychopaths. georgey porgey the prostitute loving head is using tax payers money to stimulate the housing market in which the banks make money and create massive national personal debt. the bubble will burst as it always does. the only looser here is the the public.

i think it was a bad idea for people to be able to buy their council house because council houses are meant to be for people who cant afford to buy their own house. The only good thing about it for us though is there arent so many noisy kids down our road because most people who have bought theirs are single men and older people.

"it doesnt need explaining its just one of those same old boring hate the working class or anyone on a benefit threads thinly disguised as a "serious innocent question"

And people who post defensive shite in response to any discussion about welfare etc. come across as bitter and carrying large chips on both shoulders.

The original question was quite interesting. If there is a culture of people brought up in estates (perhaps understandably) wanting to stay in social housing then that's a part of the 'housing ladder' that's stagnant. Personally I think the housing ladder must eventually burst a bubble, but that's a different debate - as is the crap about bullying.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I've read the opening post and that's it. Some areas don't have a large private rented sector. Council housing isn't a first option for many but a last option. You can try applying as a first option but with waiting lists in some parts of London growing by 86% in the last 18 months it's unlikely you will be accepted let alone get council or social housing unless you are in dire need.