FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > shingles

shingles

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Has anyone here had any experience with shingles, the virus not the roof tiles? Any tips on how to cope with the pain?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *aceytopWoman  over a year ago

from a town near you

I don't know why but its spreading like wildfire round here,get better soon x

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I don't know why but its spreading like wildfire round here,get better soon x"

Is there an out break of chicken pox in your area?

Oddly enough when i was at the hospital the only other person that came in also had it..

By *aughtywifeandhimCouple  over a year ago

luton

It's extremely painful,just get the best pain killers available,I feel for you, had it once at hope it never returns,just don't try to move around till anti biotic s,and pain killers kick in

My daughter had it last year. Just had the tablets from the doctor and waited for it to heal. Hope it goes soon

I have cocodamol 30/500 and dihydrocodeine 30, sometimes they help but sometimes I'm left pacing the floor and in tears with the pain and frustration. I thought i had turned the corner with it yesterday but then it returned even worse.

By *otsoSnowWhiteWoman  over a year ago

My Ice Castle! South Wales

Keeping warm I found help when I had it, it's the nerve endings that's affected most. Mine was right across my back, under my arms and under my boobs. I had an inch gap in the middle. It was a pain like no other. Even a year or so after if I was getting ill id feel it in the nerve endings that were damaged. Really feel for you.

"Keeping warm I found help when I had it, it's the nerve endings that's affected most. Mine was right across my back, under my arms and under my boobs. I had an inch gap in the middle. It was a pain like no other. Even a year or so after if I was getting ill id feel it in the nerve endings that were damaged. Really feel for you. "

You're not wrong about the pain, it's incredibly bad. The worst I've ever felt. To top off my misery I'm supposed to be starting a new job this week, which I really need, and i don't thjink i will be able to do it so they will probably give it to someone else.

Basically all I'm doing is trying to sleep, only waking up to take my pills and say owww a lot

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I've known a couple of people with it. It's a right pain by all accounts. Good luck with it

By *ercedes62Woman  over a year ago

Northampton

I had shingles just before Christmas and was really ill for a few weeksand celebrations went straight out the window.

Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks for the well wishes

I've had my pills so going back to the only place that doesnt hurt now, unconscious land xx

I had viral shingles and chicken pox together cpl yrs ago was in hospital for nearly 2 wks it is the worst pain ive ever had ,keep taking the pain killers and maybe try get some sleeping pills of the doctor !! Hope u get well soon x

It's almost Easter

Chicken pox time

My son not had them yet

Get well soon xxx

I had it as a teenager .... It was extremely painful!

Wear as little as possible and use calamine lotion!

I remember I couldn't lay down as I would cry .... So I do empathise

Ouch!

"It's almost Easter

Chicken pox time

My son not had them yet

Get well soon xxx"

Isn't it possible to get him innoculised?

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

I have had them and they are extremely painful. Take your time with them and it can be months before you are back to normal as they can be very tiring.

"I had viral shingles and chicken pox together cpl yrs ago was in hospital for nearly 2 wks it is the worst pain ive ever had ,keep taking the pain killers and maybe try get some sleeping pills of the doctor !! Hope u get well soon x"

I didn't know you could have them both at the same time, sounds horrendous! I have Valium that the doctor gave me at first because she thought my back muscles were in spasm, so I'm using that to help me sleep. I actually worked out myself (from the internet) that it was shingles. My GP and the doctor at the hospital were a bit embarrassed about that.

I had it when i was in my teens if i recall correctly. It was such a pain!! I've still got the marks on my skin to remind me of it all...

...was the weirdest thing i've ever experienced.

"I had it when i was in my teens if i recall correctly. It was such a pain!! I've still got the marks on my skin to remind me of it all...

...was the weirdest thing i've ever experienced.

"

A friend of mine had it in her teens. She had it in her mouth and throat, said it was horrendous. Apparently the older you are when you have it the worse it affects you.

Most people don't get shingles until they are ove 50 and it's really bad if you get it from your sixties onwards so there is a vaccination you can get then, but it's only about 50% affective.

I know all sorts of stuff about shingles that i would rather i didn't have to have learned

I just need to say owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwws!!!

That's all for now

Was wondering how you are. Has it gone down yet? Trying putting some ice or something really cold on it. May help with the pain..

Yeah I had it year before last. It's really painful and you'll feel like shit for about 2-3 weeks. Oozey spots will appear on you too.

"Yeah I had it year before last. It's really painful and you'll feel like shit for about 2-3 weeks. Oozey spots will appear on you too.

"

Oozey spots...oh the joys to come...

By *otsoSnowWhiteWoman  over a year ago

My Ice Castle! South Wales

If you do get oozey spots just put calamine on them i still have a scar under my left boob where one deep one i scratched in my sleep.

Really hope you feel better soon x

"Yeah I had it year before last. It's really painful and you'll feel like shit for about 2-3 weeks. Oozey spots will appear on you too.

Oozey spots...oh the joys to come..."

Yup. I won't like, some days you genuinely don't want to move.

I've had it DON'T scratch u will have scars got up gp Take pain killers

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

"I had viral shingles and chicken pox together cpl yrs ago was in hospital for nearly 2 wks it is the worst pain ive ever had ,keep taking the pain killers and maybe try get some sleeping pills of the doctor !! Hope u get well soon x"

Mum had it at the end of October. Still sufferring now but at the height she was twisting with pain like she was having an eppillectic fit! Not nice when you`re 86. Wwhen it first broke out it looked like she`d had a kettle of boiling water thrown over her.

Take the anti-virals exactly as directed and if you have anything codine based for pain killer, get the doc to prescribe some laxative and keep off the cheese as well as you`ll end up constipated. Expect it to last anything up 5-6 months!

As said above. Painkillers. Light clothing, fresh bedding calomine lotion.

Also sometimes antihistamines can help calm the itching.

Hope u recover quickly x

Always associated this illness with the elderly until my daughter had it a few months back, shes 20,

Get well soon op x

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

Known to be contracted by the very young! Even those below the age of 10. Apparently, it`s said that if you`ve had chicken pox you`ll have shingles later in life. There is a injection that can be taken to prevent it but it can only be taken between 65 and 75 (I think) I know it`s about a 10 year gap and after most have retired.

I think i am dying from the pain and lack of sleep and possibly a dose of melodrama! I almost don't even care about my spelling and typos anymore

But seriously thank you again for everyone that has commented.

I'm sorry to hear about your elderly mother, the older you are when you get it the worse it hits you apparently. There is a vaccination elderly people can get when they reach 70 which is 50% effective and reduces the symptoms if it doesnt stop the illness, so please tell any elderly relatives to get it.

Had it many years ago on stomach very painful.put a lotion on it same as chicken pox to help with pain.

There's loads that have chicken pox round by me at the moment, hope I don't get shingles I believe its awful

"There's loads that have chicken pox round by me at the moment, hope I don't get shingles I believe its awful "

It is truly awful, and i don't even think i have it nearly as bad as it can be. Just in case you dont know you won't catch it from someone with chicken pox. It isn't contagious as shingles, it develops from when/if you had chicken pox in the past. Someone with chicken pox can give you chicken pox, not shingles. Alternatively if you have shingles you can give someone chicken pox, but it isnt nearly as contagious, they'd actually have to touch the sores to catch anything.

"There's loads that have chicken pox round by me at the moment, hope I don't get shingles I believe its awful

It is truly awful, and i don't even think i have it nearly as bad as it can be. Just in case you dont know you won't catch it from someone with chicken pox. It isn't contagious as shingles, it develops from when/if you had chicken pox in the past. Someone with chicken pox can give you chicken pox, not shingles. Alternatively if you have shingles you can give someone chicken pox, but it isnt nearly as contagious, they'd actually have to touch the sores to catch anything."

I've never had chicken pox before.

I don't know where I got it. I did move house days before I got it

"There's loads that have chicken pox round by me at the moment, hope I don't get shingles I believe its awful

It is truly awful, and i don't even think i have it nearly as bad as it can be. Just in case you dont know you won't catch it from someone with chicken pox. It isn't contagious as shingles, it develops from when/if you had chicken pox in the past.

Someone with chicken pox can give you chicken pox, not shingles. Alternatively if you have shingles you can give someone chicken pox, but it isnt nearly as contagious, they'd actually have to touch the sores to catch anything."

Sounds terrible hope you recover soon

"Has anyone here had any experience with shingles, the virus not the roof tiles? Any tips on how to cope with the pain?"

Had them when I was in my teens. They weren't sore themselves but stung like hell when putting the drops on. Had on shoulder. Cured fast thankfully.

What's the update on these shingles? Has it buggered off yet?

I had I many years ago on my face. It was very very painful. I feel for you. The medication they gave me knocked me out.

"Has anyone here had any experience with shingles, the virus not the roof tiles? Any tips on how to cope with the pain?"

Soluble Solphadine ( probably spelt incorrectly), but Sandra sympathises, as she says its very unpleasant.

"It's almost Easter

Chicken pox time

My son not had them yet

Get well soon xxx

Isn't it possible to get him innoculised?"

You have to pay

He did get them lol

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

When I was 13, I had Chicken Pox & German Measles at the same time

Not liking the sound of this Shingles malarkey much though, my aunt had it when she was mid 60's and know she was bad with it for a couple of months

"What's the update on these shingles? Has it buggered off yet?

"

The shingles cleared up a few weeks ago but I also got PHN (post hepatic neuralgia) which is nerve pain that continues for weeks or even months after shingles clears. The pain from that is only just going now but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as shingles (thank fuck!)

"I had I many years ago on my face. It was very very painful. I feel for you. The medication they gave me knocked me out."

I think having shingles on your face is the worst place they can appear. I searched google images when I was looking for information on shingles and the photos of it on people's faces made me feel I was actually lucky, even while I was in agony. The worst thing for me was that I couldn't get any decent painkillers because the doctors these days are so worried about people becoming addicted to them, I would have loved to have been knocked out!

"I had I many years ago on my face. It was very very painful. I feel for you. The medication they gave me knocked me out.

I think having shingles on your face is the worst place they can appear. I searched google images when I was looking for information on shingles and the photos of it on people's faces made me feel I was actually lucky, even while I was in agony. The worst thing for me was that I couldn't get any decent painkillers because the doctors these days are so worried about people becoming addicted to them, I would have loved to have been knocked out!"

the nhs should prescribe the lidoderm patches. they were developed in the u.s. for coping with the pain of shingles. they're literally patches about 4in x 6in that are covered in a solution of 5 percent lidicaine. they numb the area. they're also good for chronic joint pain. my dad gets them stateside for his chronic joint issues.

My shingles weren't painful but I went doctors and they prescribed me with antibiotics and steroid cream but I couldn't be bothered with the cream hahahaha doctors is best option !!

» Add a new message to this topic