FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > The Day the immigrants Stayed and ATE THE SWANS

The Day the immigrants Stayed and ATE THE SWANS

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *uton_couple OP   Couple  over a year ago

luton

Migrant city's cry for help: Anguished letter to Brown and Cameron reveals devastating toll of immigration on schools, housing and hospitals

The impact of uncontrolled mass immigration on the fabric of British life was driven home to the party leaders yesterday.

A letter to Gordon Brown, David Cameron and Nick Clegg reveals in graphic detail the struggle of one community to cope.

It says public services - from schooling to housing, healthcare to police protection - are overstretched because councils have not been given the support they need.

The letter, from two independent councillors in the Cambridgeshire city of Peterborough, spells out in a straightforward and measured way how a community which 'lived in peace and harmony' has been transformed.

Local schools are struggling to educate children who speak 27 different languages and health services are under unprecedented pressure. The councillors, Charles Swift and Keith Sharp, contrast the situation with that of a few years ago.

Then, they say, 'there was parental choice in education with school places. There was no homelessness. There were no problems with registering at the local doctors for health services.

'Everyone knew the local police officer and they were available at all times. People could walk the streets in safety and talk to their neighbours.'

The two men asked the party leaders for a reply, warning that the problem is a national one. But in another example of the way immigration issues have been brushed under the carpet, they have heard nothing.

The letter has been sent to Mr Brown and Mr Clegg three times since January 18, without any reply. David Cameron responded with an email from his correspondence secretary promising a reply from immigration spokesman Damian Green. Mr Swift and Mr Sharp are still waiting

The two councillors represent North ward in Peterborough where 15 per cent of people are migrants, mainly from former Communist countries in Eastern Europe which are now EU members.

Their letter - which they also sent to constituents - was passed to the Daily Mail by a local resident concerned that its urgent message was being ignored.

The councillors say: 'At our local primary school, Fulbridge, which has a roll of 675 pupils, 27 different languages are spoken with only 200 of the pupils having English as a first language.

'The first-year reception class has 90 pupils, of which only 17 are white British. Every day new arrivals are turned away.

'Registration at the local doctors' surgery has rocketed with more than 90 per cent of the new arrivals being from the EU. There has been a substantial increase in women who are pregnant.

'The Health Service and Primary Care Trust in the city has overspent by millions in the past year.'

A key issue is the Government's failure to support councils.

But Mr Swift and Mr Sharp make clear that the local authority cannot track all new arrivals - crucial information in assessing what they need.

They say there were only four EU citizens on the local electoral roll in 2004. Now there are 537 and 'we know there are substantially more here'.

The councillors also voiced the local fears that immigration is fuelling a rise in crime.

They write: 'We had four police houses in the ward years ago. Everyone knew and respected the local constable. Now we have muggings, robberies, burglaries and neighbour disputes. We have prostitutes, drug dealers and an ever-increasing number of people who drive without road tax or insurance.'

Some 16,000 migrants, many seeking farm work, have moved to the Peterborough area since 2004. Immigrant communities account for 64 per cent of the population growth.

Details of the letter emerged a day after the Daily Mail revealed shocking figures showing that nearly every job created under Labour has gone to a foreign worker. Some 98.5 per cent of 1.67million new posts went to immigrants.

In their letter, Mr Swift and Mr Sharp say the arrival of so many migrants has left Peterborough's housing system in chaos, with immigrants sleeping rough and relying on the Salvation Army for food.

They say many properties have been bought by speculators and turned into multioccupancy dwellings let to immigrants.

'The consequence is that our housing waiting lists have rocketed and our homeless hostels are full.'

This reinforces reports of migrants living in makeshift huts along the local river and slaughtering swans to eat.

The councillors' concerns were echoed last night in a Harris poll for the Daily Mail, which reveals that seven out of ten voters are 'very worried' about the scale of immigration and believe it is a 'significant cause of unrest'.

Some 63 per cent think the influx of two million immigrants under Labour has been a 'bad thing' and three out of four want a tough limit on new arrivals.

Mr Swift, 79, a former train driver and trade unionist who was awarded the OBE for his council services, said last night: 'The political leaders must listen to ordinary people.

'There must be a control on migrant numbers coming in. It is what people want. They feel the situation has got out of hand. I have spoken to rocksolid Labour supporters, rocksolid Conservative supporters. They don't know how to vote.'

Sir Andrew Green, head of the Migrationwatch campaign group, called the letter 'a vivid and convincing account of the impact of immigration'. He added: 'It is shameful that these councillors should have received no substantive reply'.

Last night a Tory spokesman said a reply from Mr Green is due to be sent before MPs' offices close on Monday.

A spokesman for Mr Brown said: 'We are not currently aware of this correspondence but of course Gordon will answer any questions that are asked of him.'

Nick Clegg's spokesman said: 'We are very sorry these councillors have not received a reply. They will be getting one as soon as possible.'

Helena Horvatova is proud of her seven children. She lines them up in the back garden of her terrace house and explains that the youngest, aged four months, is called Kevin.

'It is a very British name. We want him to grow up British,' says the 27-year-old Czech mother, who arrived in Peterborough two weeks ago. In broken English, she continues: 'We came to Britain because we wanted a better life for all of our children.'

Mrs Horvatova pats little Kevin on his head, before plopping down on a battered bench in the middle of her garden, which is littered with rubbish.

Outside the kitchen door there are grubby children's clothes and some beer cans.

Inside the house sits Mrs Horvatova's husband, Frankie. He is 29 and also is able to speak only a few words of English.

'He does not go to work,' his wife says, as her ten-year-old daughter, Nicola, tries to help as an interpreter.

As the other children (Frankie, 12, Helena, nine, Marek, seven, Natala, six, and David, four) clamour for attention, their mother explains: 'My husband is claiming the Jobseekers' allowance. Back in our country he was a school cleaner, but in Peterborough they say there are no vacancies.

'The council has been very good to us. It has given us a house because we have the children. It only has three bedrooms, though, and we would like more.

The only problem is our oldest boy has to go to school five miles away. It is difficult to get him there, but we have a car and my husband drives.

'The schools nearby are full of children who came to Peterborough before us,' she says.

I went to Peterborough after receiving a copy of a letter originally sent to the prime minister and leaders of the other main political parties by two independent councillors.

The letter revealed how the city's public services are under strain and struggling to cope with levels of immigration. The councillors begged the politicians for help.

Officially, the Horvatovas are among 10,000 new eastern European immigrants who have turned up in the city in the past six years.

But that is a conservative count. The East Of England Regional Assembly believes 16,000 have settled in Peterborough since Britain opened its borders to migrants from the former communist bloc countries in 2004.

Yet local people are convinced this figure is a gross underestimation of the tally of foreigners arriving in this beautiful and once quintessentially English city, with a Norman cathedral where Henry VIII's first wife Catherine of Aragon is buried.

'There must be at least 20,000,' said one GP with a surgery near the city centre. 'We can tell because the total number of patients we have registered has gone up by 3,000 in just a few years. Most of the new patients are from Poland, Lithuania, the Czech Republic and Slovakia.'

At this surgery staff are also overwhelmed with increasing numbers of pregnant women.

'This whole place is about to explode with babies,' explained a nurse at a clinic, half-a-mile from Mrs Horvatov's home.

'It is a common thing for 14, 15 and 16-year-old girls who have arrived from Slovakia and Lithuania to come in pregnant or wanting fertility advice. We tell them it is illegal in this country to have sexual intercourse at their age.

'We suspect they want babies because they know it will lead to a house and child benefits. There are so many foreign girls having babies that it will change the face of Peterborough.'

That change, it would seem, has already begun. Last month, it was revealed migrant workers in Peterborough are killing swans to eat and are also preying illegally on fish.

Local anglers claimed ' legally-protected swans' were being 'butchered' by immigrants who are 'raping' the city's waterways by snaring the birds, battering them to death with iron bars and roasting them on open fires on the bank of the River Nene.

Witnesses say migrants camping in woods are using inhumane methods to kill fish, such as long lines with multiple hooks, which are left in the water overnight and cause a slow and painful death.

While it should be stressed that many of the new arrivals work very hard for low wages - doing jobs local people are not prepared to do - there are many who have quickly learned how to work the benefits system.

Each day at 1pm, when the Inland Revenue Office at Hereward House opens, a queue of girls speaking foreign tongues snakes down the road.

Their buggies and prams crowd the pavement as they wait to sign on for tax credits and child benefits - as they are entitled to under EU law.

Yet, despite the availability of generous benefits, there is a growing foreign underclass in Peterborough, which is said to be the fastest growing multi-ethnic community in Britain.

People sleep rough in derelict houses, alleyways, garden sheds or under crude shelters made of wood and plastic sheeting in the parks - anywhere they can find a place to rest their weary heads at night.

These are the homeless European migrants that Labour promised this week (an announcement cynically made on the opening day of the election campaign) would be thrown out of Britain, because they cannot support themselves financially.

oh well at least the vegetables are not rotting in the ground , we have enough labour to have one man / one spud

its not just peterborough its luton , milton keynes , bedford , etc etc etc

and in a town very near YOU very soon

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

Daily Mail?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Daily Mail?"

Whoa Jane...how did you guess?!!

Torquay

"Daily Mail?

Whoa Jane...how did you guess?!! "

Dunno, was just a stab in the dark

luton

"Daily Mail?

Whoa Jane...how did you guess?!!

Dunno, was just a stab in the dark "

OHHH WELL

if its the daily mail none of its true then..........................

i will have to remember that one next time that facts are put to me that do not suit my arguement ill just say

daily mail

Torquay

It's just that most of your posts seem Xenaphoic and sensationalist, it's often like watching a party political broadcast from UKIP or the BNP.

You seem to comb through the daily papers and look for the most controversial stories, no offence meant but that's how it comes across.

By *ishful.thinkingWoman  over a year ago

east london

Here we go again, should add I'm one of those economic migrants.............

Been here 16 years and have worked and paid tax for 14 of them the other 2 my parents supported me. I am a single mum and my daughters father is English and doesn't financially support her. I haven't been given or even offered council accommodation,I got working families tax credit while she was at nursery and nothing much since.

Do feel like I need to defend myself in relation to the ornignal post.

By *thwalescplCouple  over a year ago

brecon

"It's just that most of your posts seem Xenaphoic and sensationalist, it's often like watching a party political broadcast from UKIP or the BNP.

You seem to comb through the daily papers and look for the most controversial stories, no offence meant but that's how it comes across."

"No offence meant".....

Right up there with other such quotes as...

"The taxi's on its way"

"The cheque is in the post"

"I wont cum in your mouth"

"Education, education, education"

"Trust me"

You almost pulled it off until you compared their posts to "a party political broadcast from.... the BNP", which would offend the hell out of most people!!

Torquay

A great deal of their posts on here are about people of other races and religions so I think the reference to UKIP and the BNP were fair.....for example;

"the most dangerous drivers on the road are the young immigrants that dont even have a license , cos there only used to driving tractors on the other side of the road and they are half asleep on there way to work picking asparagus at 4 am in the morning"

Of course everyone is entitled to their views as it is an open forum but we should also remember that there are people of other nationalities that use these forums....

I agree with Jane 100%! I only have to see the title of the thread to know it's the OP.

luton

"It's just that most of your posts seem Xenaphoic and sensationalist, it's often like watching a party political broadcast from UKIP or the BNP.

You seem to comb through the daily papers and look for the most controversial stories, no offence meant but that's how it comes across."

the story is poignant to me as i live in luton and see this situation with my own eyes

as opposed to the bueno vista of seagulls wafting accross the bay at lullworth cove

it is also not i that made the first post of , the day the immigrants left

where so many people were bleating on about vegetables rotting in the ground if no immigrants could pick them

and how wonderfull they were for the economy

the facts are that most veg is picked by machine , spuds , turnips , se , the list is never ending

that leaves asparagus and leeks , and a few others

it is also poignant to me that 98 percent of new jobs are taken by immigrants that not only do them for minimum wage , but work like trogans at double pace

if you dont believe this army of workers will not effect the wage of those in blue collar jobs , and indeed white collar workers , just wait and see

i also dont mean any offence to any other person on the threads , but there sometimes is a bit of healthy banter

to acuse me of Xenaphobia is absolutely ridiculous

in a past thread i stated quite clearly by next door neihbour 30 years ago was polish , we were very very good long term friends and got on like a house on fire

BUT i will say this

living in luton where you can ask the first 30 passers by at random , what the time is and not one of them can speak english , plus all the shops , and i mean ALL , are polski deli , polki smaki , or polski bennifits

it does give one the fear of foreigners as the word Xenaphoic suggests

but your use of the word is so THIN its a bit like being in torquay high st and 50,000 zulus are running towards you spears in hand , and because you say RUN your accused of being a racist

so............................

if the thread doesnt suit your politics you say DAILY MAIL

and if your taken to task over it you try smear tactics by using the word Xenaphoic

that i will not accept as i have clearly stated in the past i have many friends from all nationalitys , and with some irony to the accusation of being Xenaphoic

my all time hero is in fact half chinese , bruce lee

if your going to reply , try to deal with the issues , and refrain from using smear tactics or just saying "facist" or some other excuse for not dealing with the facts

Torquay

Actually I have never used the word 'facist' on this site on any thread.

I think a thread about our continued membership of the EU is very worthwhile, for many UK communities the influx of EU citizens from Eastern Europe has had a massive impact.

But it has to be remembered that there are many, many British people living all over Europe thanks to the EU policies.

France, Spain, Greek Cyprus to name but three EU countries that are seeing hundreds of thousands of Brits settling there.

So lets have a structured debate on the EU and the consequences rather than it becoming a thread full of xenaphobic comments........

Oh....and although I now live in Devon I am from the South East of the UK and know all too well how EU immigration has affected the local workforce.

But ask the Spanish...French...Cypriots...Portugese...Bulgarians how they feel about the masses of Brits who have moved to their shores, remember EU migration works both ways.

By *b430Man  over a year ago

Tayside

"Actually I have never used the word 'facist' on this site on any thread.

I think a thread about our continued membership of the EU is very worthwhile, for many UK communities the influx of EU citizens from Eastern Europe has had a massive impact.

But it has to be remembered that there are many, many British people living all over Europe thanks to the EU policies.

France, Spain, Greek Cyprus to name but three EU countries that are seeing hundreds of thousands of Brits settling there.

So lets have a structured debate on the EU and the consequences rather than it becoming a thread full of xenaphobic comments........

Oh....and although I now live in Devon I am from the South East of the UK and know all too well how EU immigration has affected the local workforce.

But ask the Spanish...French...Cypriots...Portugese...Bulgarians how they feel about the masses of Brits who have moved to their shores, remember EU migration works both ways."

I do believe the OP is 'earning his living' just now in sunny Spain

Torquay

How ironic is that?

whooo im away to put my lottery on cause i just knew where that came from and who decided to share it so im either psychic or damn cynical.....

must be a really big brush to tar everyone single one of them the same and feel the urge to share that!

its funny how its always the negatives never the positives that you get informed of??

agree jane as most of my family are in spain running their bars and cafes etc and cant speak one word of spanish and im the same i go there i expect them to speak english same with the ones in bulgaria and they have no intention of learning the language!

lets say the government decides to remove every immigrant from the country even the tax payin business owning ones what year shall we decide goes say since 1995??

doctors? nurses? farm workers? all those stinky jobs that we dont want??

children born here?? doesnt matter?

kevin hussain born here 2001 wheres he going??

kyzia hendlick been here since borders opened does 2 jobs to keep her children and pay her ways?

is this where it starts where does it end??

"living in luton where you can ask the first 30 passers by at random , what the time is and not one of them can speak english , plus all the shops , and i mean ALL , are polski deli , polki smaki , or polski bennifits "

I am 44 years old and I lived in Luton since I was 4 years old until 2 years ago when I moved to Newcastle and I can say quite categorically that you are talking absolute garbage.

Luton is a very diverse multi-cultural society certainly but the White-British population outnumber any other denomination combined. The Asian community run most of the taxi companies in Luton but not in Dunstable. They also own most of the corner shops but to be fair to them, they are the only ones prepared to stay open until midnight, white shopkeepers shut up shop at 7pm and fuck off home.

I know Luton like the back of my hand and can navigate myself anywhere in it with my eyes closed. I grew up in Lewsey Farm and the majority of crime committed on that estate is by white-british youth delinquents - also commonly known as 'chavs'.

Before you misrepresent my hometown in future can I suggest that you do it with the correct information.

Tayside

"How ironic is that?"

Very! I thought anyway, but that's just me and I look at the whole picture and never read the Daily Mail for my "information"

my father left scotland to go and work and live in luton does that make him an immigrant because he was scottish or is it ok for him to move because he can speak broken english ie scottish lol x

To the O.P...please quote your sources...other than the daily mail....if you are going to write comments of this nature...anecdotal...hearsay...and the Daily mail...do not stand up to scutiny as sources....your comments could hardly be called rigorous or evidence based....... its your opinion....your use of psuedo facts to back it up...impresses who..???

Torquay

It's a shame because the topic is very worthy of discussion, none of us should be so blinkered to believe that EU migration isn't affecting many areas of the UK.

It's true that work has to be done by government in Brussels to tackle the problem of Eastern Europeans claiming UK benefits and migrating here just to use our NHS facilities.

But these threads that see the OP's light the fuse by cutting and pasting often Right Wing press articles then running away and waiting for reaction are frankly lazy.

I am more impressed (even if I don't agree with the OP) to see the argument put in their own words and not done the lazy way.

i love a good debate i find it very refreshing to see peoples views and especially at this time when there is an election due and the impact that its goin to have but also how issues are affecting people and how different areas of the country see things different x

I do love how everyone immediately feels they have to jump on the "you are xenophobic" wagon just to ensure that everyone else on the forum knows they dont have a single negative or anti anything bone in their body!!

While I would take everything the Daily Mail says with a pinch of salt (ok, maybe a lorryload!), a lot of what is stated in the report is (to certain communities) exactly how they feel.

The pub in Thetford that was for the Portugese (the sign in the window used to read "No English") is a perfect example of the issues that fuel the Mails reporting, and their reporting makes complete sense to people who are directly affected by it - but makes for sensationalist scare mongering to people who havent experienced it.

Even in Swindon, a town that is tiny, it can be poles apart from one road to another (and that isnt an intentional pun). My friend lives on a road where he is completely in the minority being English and white, whereas the area I live in is probably 98% English white.

So while the Daily Mail may well be reporting some accurate statistics, I can imagine the areas it chooses to report on are vigorously cherry picked to ensure they painted the worst possible picture - lets face it, the Mail cant scare people by printing "You know what, its actually ok in a an awful lot of places!"

Torquay

"I do love how everyone immediately feels they have to jump on the "you are xenophobic" wagon just to ensure that everyone else on the forum knows they dont have a single negative or anti anything bone in their body!!

While I would take everything the Daily Mail says with a pinch of salt (ok, maybe a lorryload!), a lot of what is stated in the report is (to certain communities) exactly how they feel.

The pub in Thetford that was for the Portugese (the sign in the window used to read "No English") is a perfect example of the issues that fuel the Mails reporting, and their reporting makes complete sense to people who are directly affected by it - but makes for sensationalist scare mongering to people who havent experienced it.

Even in Swindon, a town that is tiny, it can be poles apart from one road to another (and that isnt an intentional pun). My friend lives on a road where he is completely in the minority being English and white, whereas the area I live in is probably 98% English white.

So while the Daily Mail may well be reporting some accurate statistics, I can imagine the areas it chooses to report on are vigorously cherry picked to ensure they painted the worst possible picture - lets face it, the Mail cant scare people by printing "You know what, its actually ok in a an awful lot of places!""

Look back on the OP's other posts and you will see why I used the word Xenaphobic....And no, I don't feel threatened myself by people of foreign nationality or other religions.

It's 2010, we have belonged to the EU since 1993 and before that to the EC and the EEC since 1967.

It has always been inevitable that our intergration within the EU would result in European wide migration, for my part I feel great that I can choose to go and live in a sunnier climate whenever I want to.

No different to when I moved 250 miles to live in Devon, I could do so because I am British and can choose to live anywhere on these isles....I can also move to Spain or Cyprus because I am a citizen of the EU....and I love that freedom.

"

Look back on the OP's other posts and you will see why I used the word Xenaphobic....And no, I don't feel threatened myself by people of foreign nationality or other religions.

It's 2010, we have belonged to the EU since 1993 and before that to the EC and the EEC since 1967.

It has always been inevitable that our intergration within the EU would result in European wide migration, for my part I feel great that I can choose to go and live in a sunnier climate whenever I want to.

No different to when I moved 250 miles to live in Devon, I could do so because I am British and can choose to live anywhere on these isles....I can also move to Spain or Cyprus because I am a citizen of the EU....and I love that freedom."

Sorry, I pointed out the Xenophobic part not because of your initial use of it, but how in any internet forum people always then feel the need to join in and state how "they arent like that either", in case by not stating and agreeing with it the assumption is immediately there that they are card carrying BNP members!

The Devon comparison is a bit weak, thats a county to county migration and does not in any way compare to immigration.

I do agree, we can also go anywhere in the EU - but the incentives are there for far more people from weaker economic climates to move to England than there are for English to move abroad. But this does not mean I blame the immigrants - lets face it, anyone offered a better opportunity than they currently have is going to take it. If you can move your family to a safer, healthier environment that also offers education and support, then you would do it - I know damn well I would!

People are scared by immigration - my personal opinion is that this is generated far more by the media concentrating only on specific examples rather than by people having full knowledge of the truth and the overall picture. But hey, reporting the truth doesnt sell newspapers!

There will always be problems with any migration, but there will always be benefits as well. One problem is that a lot of English people like to blame others (especially 'outsiders') for their life being crap - its a lot easier than looking inside and saying they are the root of their own problems. I guess the immigrants are the modern day version of English city dwelling people moving into the country villages and being blanked as they 'arent local'!

One thing I would like to see is honest reporting - I really cant believe we are heading to Armageddon as the Mail would like to suggest, but through personal experience I also cant believe that there isnt any truth to some of the issues people highlight. My hunch would be that as with any cross section of people, there are good people and bad people, lazy people and hard working people, contributors to the state system and abusers of the state system.

i like you... very honest and refreshing!!

the problem with newspapers is that people believe what they say and dont look at the wider picture how many conversations start with i seen it in the papers.....

the words used too have an effect and the daily mail use all the good ones such as imminent disaster etc

the bit with that bit that stuck with me was the police bit that was mentioned a few times how is a lack of police anythin to do with the "Influx" thats another good word and the polls bit who do they poll?? oh yeah the readers who reading the sensational stuff they type its a circle xx

luton

No different to when I moved 250 miles to live in Devon, I could do so because I am British and can choose to live anywhere on these isles....I can also move to Spain or Cyprus because I am a citizen of the EU....and I love that freedom.

if you look back at my other post in full

you will see that i often say that a large number of my friends are of other nationalitys than english

and indeed i have great sympathy for those poor people that have to do back breaking work in the fields for 12 hours a day

i both couldnt do it , and even if i could i wouldnt

you often come across as the guru of statistics , and that is up to you

but why dont you for once , just for once deal with a specific issue

its been in the local paper in luton for many a year now , the problem of immigrants eating all the fish in the lakes , and indeed anything else they can catch like swans

what would you do to solve this ?

its just not a comparison to compare english people that open a bar in spain , to the hundreds of thousands of people coming to the uk without a pot to piss in

a bar owner has to pay rent on the bar , rent to the ajuntamenta for tables on the street , gas electricity bills , and income tax to the agencia tributaria

there just is not thosands and thousands of british in spain going round eating the wildlife , and there are no shops in spain that have the words emblazened on the front in english

COME IN HERE AND WE WILL SHOW YOU HOW TO CLAIM YOUR SPANISH BENNIFITS

to those of you who talk about brits being in spain , tell me of one person , JUST ONE PERSON , you know who is a brit claiming spanish bennifits

or.................................

one person that was given a house to live in , paid for by spain

the jakeys up here eat the local wildlife and so do the gentry??

as for spain iv seen the damage the british do on the 2 wks piss up and that does a lot of damage to wildlife too!!

the point is sensationalism did you know that an immigrant on benefits gets 10% less than a uk national does thats if they qualify thats 10% less of not very much so they probably need to eat whatever runnin about to survive.

now council housing is there any for anyone do we not have uk national homeless??

does the wee guy that sits at the same bit in the nearest big town to me who i know cause i went to school is he not homeless because he cant be because its only immigrants that homeless??

britain has always had problems even before everyone deserted europe to come to the land of milk and honey!! x

Torquay

So are the Polish shopkeepers in Luton not paying their business rates?, not paying their taxes?, not paying their bills?

In your Utopian world you would be allowed to live and work in Spain but a Spaniard would not be able to live and work in Luton.

Cake and Eat it springs to mind...

"So are the Polish shopkeepers in Luton not paying their business rates?, not paying their taxes?, not paying their bills?"

I think your post highlights where the vast majority of negativity comes from - a lot of people (sadly my parents included) are under the misguided impression that people walk into Britain and immediately get given everything they need while they just sit there! They seem to think immigrants pay nothing, take everything, and generally abuse the tax payer!

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

the daily mail is to "immigrants" what the daily express is to "princess diana"...

whenever there are no real stories..... out comes these, back to there bread and butter...

nothing like scaremongering.......

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

to those of you who talk about brits being in spain , tell me of one person , JUST ONE PERSON , you know who is a brit claiming spanish bennifits

one person that was given a house to live in , paid for by spain "

can i just point out one thing here....

people from the EU are not allowed to claim ANY benefits for the first 2 years... even though they are paying taxes here...

so take that out and retract that please....

Newcastle and Gateshead

and one other thing....

there are about 3.5 to 4 million brits earning there living abroad... from the EU to the middle east... australia and new zealand... the america's...

when all the uk builders went to go an work in germany now one complained then.....

well i was in a shop that imports american food 6 quid for a box of lucky charms!!! and 8 quid for gooper stuff the peanut butter and jam stuff??

bloody shockin would be an uproar if we charged that for rice!!! ohhhhhh sorry forgot we british eat rice too!! xx

By *prite128Woman  over a year ago

maidstone

Has anyone actually seen anyone catching a swan ? I'm sure there must have been something which sparked this reputation but mass swan catching , even in east anglia ... I don't think so !

And as for the outrage over catching and eating wildlife... Have you never heard of poaching ? It's certainly been going on for far longer than we've had economic migrants here.

I wasn't suprised to see who the OP was either

Condolences to any polish people using here too...today's reported plane crash and loss of the president and other significant others is a tragedy for a very proud nation x x

Tayside

"and one other thing....

there are about 3.5 to 4 million brits earning there living abroad... from the EU to the middle east... australia and new zealand... the america's...

when all the uk builders went to go an work in germany now one complained then....."

Pssst Fabio, did you know that the OP 'earns his living' in sunny Spain just now?

luton

"So are the Polish shopkeepers in Luton not paying their business rates?, not paying their taxes?, not paying their bills?

In your Utopian world you would be allowed to live and work in Spain but a Spaniard would not be able to live and work in Luton.

Cake and Eat it springs to mind..."

you never adressed the question that i put to you

what would you do to solve the problem of immigrants eating the wild life ?

and with the vast font of knowledge and statistics you have at hand , please tell me how many brits in spain are there that claim spanish benifits

also please show me where it is that i have said , i dont think immigrants should work in the UK

because I HAVE NOT

what i HAVE said is they should recieve a fair wage ( ok they get minimum mage )

but they should also get sick pay , holiday pay , and not be expected to do 12 hour shifts

my thoughts are indeed in support of immigrants , because if they get a fair deal , so will the rest of us

what i am against is ANYBODY OR ANYONE going to another country in a destitute state , and eating the wildlife and sponging of that state

that includes a brit going to spain

as far as newspapers go they all have a bias

i dont hear you moaning about the gurdian , the daily mirror , the times etc , saying they are bias to YOUR views

everywhere wildlife gets eaten!!!!!

pheasents duck fish deer u name it gets eaten and usually be the upper classes after they have hunted for it and for them its sport for your average jakey its survival cause they have nothin!!

i can remember when i was a sprog we ate what was caught not cause we wre poor or upper class, because it was the way it was done and my papa was the gamekeeper

to the ones that allegedly caught the swan, well done you they are vicious bastards!!! xx

By *ickmealloverWoman  over a year ago

a very plush appartment off junt 7 M5

sounds like a really bad B movie

Tayside

"everywhere wildlife gets eaten!!!!!

pheasents duck fish deer u name it gets eaten and usually be the upper classes after they have hunted for it and for them its sport for your average jakey its survival cause they have nothin!!

i can remember when i was a sprog we ate what was caught not cause we wre poor or upper class, because it was the way it was done and my papa was the gamekeeper

to the ones that allegedly caught the swan, well done you they are vicious bastards!!! xx "

See if the Queen catches the ones that did catch and eat the swan she will be most displeased and send them for free Board & Lodgings to the Tower seeing as all Swans in the UK belong to her!

Damn, I have just given the immigrants another way to get a place to stay for free in the UK!

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

I think the OP has a point, in fact I think she is absolutely correct! Let’s kick them all out and take back what is ours!

Of course that also means, that all those who have bought there 2/3/4/5/6th homes in southern and eastern Europe will loose those, plus all those rich southern gits who have sold up and migrated north or west and have pushed locals out of the housing market will also loose their property because if a Pole cant live in Luton and access the services there why should a cockney be aloud live in the lakes or Wales or Scotland?

Its time for all surfs to know there place, how dare anyone in the EU want to come here for a better life. After all the only reason they were left in was so we could buy up their homes cheep and lord it over them when we visit for our hols!

Torquay

No EU resident can claim benefits in the UK for the first Two years of their stay, however you can still claim certain UK benefits if you are a Brit living in Spain for no more than 26 weeks in any 52 week financial year.

YOU claimed that EU residents from outside the UK could come into this country and claim benefits and social housing, well they can't for 24 months.

EU residents living and working in the UK are entitled to the same minimum wage and working conditions as British workers.

Your whole argument falls down as you are a Brit working in Spain who doesn't like other EU citizens working and living in the UK, I am not the only one that can see that in your posts.

It's just like your other threads on Burkhas, full of holes where there should be facts

bloody swingers, all sucking off one taxpayer or another...lock 'em all up lol

Tayside

"It's just like your other threads on Burkhas, full of holes where there should be facts"

They need the holes in Burkhas, firstly so they can get their arms in the sleaves and secondly so they can see where to go and claim all the benefits (after the 2 years that is)

"

I find yours are like something from the Morning Star or Daily Mirror

luton

"No EU resident can claim benefits in the UK for the first Two years of their stay, however you can still claim certain UK benefits if you are a Brit living in Spain for no more than 26 weeks in any 52 week financial year.

YOU claimed that EU residents from outside the UK could come into this country and claim benefits and social housing, well they can't for 24 months.

EU residents living and working in the UK are entitled to the same minimum wage and working conditions as British workers.

Your whole argument falls down as you are a Brit working in Spain who doesn't like other EU citizens working and living in the UK, I am not the only one that can see that in your posts.

It's just like your other threads on Burkhas, full of holes where there should be facts

"

a few cut and pastes from the bennifits info web site

Example two

Aleksy and his wife and son have moved permanently to the UK from Poland. Aleksy works as a self-employed property developer and his son is registered at the local school.

As the Aleksy family’s main home is in the UK and they have chosen to live and settle here, they are classed as being ordinarily resident and can make a claim for Child Benefit.

You may get Income Support if you are one of the following:

a lone parent

on parental or paternity leave

a carer

a refugee learning English who arrived less than a year ago

are you saying the OFICIAL GOVERMENT WEB SITE IS WRONG ?

Torquay

And funnily enough yours are often like articles from The Beano.....

"And funnily enough yours are often like articles from The Beano....."

"It's a shame because the topic is very worthy of discussion, none of us should be so blinkered to believe that EU migration isn't affecting many areas of the UK.

It's true that work has to be done by government in Brussels to tackle the problem of Eastern Europeans claiming UK benefits and migrating here just to use our NHS facilities.

But these threads that see the OP's light the fuse by cutting and pasting often Right Wing press articles then running away and waiting for reaction are frankly lazy.

I am more impressed (even if I don't agree with the OP) to see the argument put in their own words and not done the lazy way."

Gosh, you're so good at this Jane-there's nothing for me to say! :D

but I will lol

Immigration absolutely is a serious issue, and should be addressed as such, but the knee jerk reaction highlighting the shortcomings of some immigrants actually devalues the argument of those who are opposed to it.

There are crap immigrants-YES

..but there are more crap members of the indigenous population, why cant people opposed to immigration actually acknowledge that the vast majority of immigrants to this country and their offspring make invaluable contributions economically and culturally?

"

Example two

Aleksy and his wife and son have moved permanently to the UK from Poland. Aleksy works as a self-employed property developer and his son is registered at the local school.

As the Aleksy family’s main home is in the UK and they have chosen to live and settle here, they are classed as being ordinarily resident and can make a claim for Child Benefit."

Presumably as a 'self employed property developer Mr Aleksy is subject to UK taxation?

So why shouldnt his family receive child benefits, just like the rest of us. If it costs a few quid in child benefit to have immigrants like him WORKING here under their own enterprise I dont see what the problem is.

Tayside

"

Example two

As the Aleksy family’s main home is in the UK and they have chosen to live and settle here, they are classed as being ordinarily resident and can make a claim for Child Benefit.

Presumably as a 'self employed property developer Mr Aleksy is subject to UK taxation?

So why shouldnt his family receive child benefits, just like the rest of us. If it costs a few quid in child benefit to have immigrants like him WORKING here under their own enterprise I dont see what the problem is."

You could also add to it that, if you are "on parental or paternity leave" you must have been working and paying taxes, etc in the first place to be entitled to the "leave"

"you never adressed the question that i put to you

what would you do to solve the problem of immigrants eating the wild life ? "

Do you really believe immigrants have a propensity to eat wild life?! Chox remembers blacks being accused of having a predeliction for Pedigree Chum 30 years ago..and he was always a Winalot man

"

Example two

So why shouldnt his family receive child benefits, just like the rest of us. If it costs a few quid in child benefit to have immigrants like him WORKING here under their own enterprise I dont see what the problem is.

You could also add to it that, if you are "on parental or paternity leave" you must have been working and paying taxes, etc in the first place to be entitled to the "leave" "

Thank you for saving my electronic ink!

Tayside

"

Example two

You could also add to it that, if you are "on parental or paternity leave" you must have been working and paying taxes, etc in the first place to be entitled to the "leave"

Thank you for saving my electronic ink!"

No problem, am happy to help point out where the OP's examples shows where he shot himself in the foot

Torquay

[Removed by poster at 10/04/10 17:34:42]

By *iggles and BeardyCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

I vote send them all home, simply due to deporting my wife is likely alot cheeper than a divorce!! j/k

"you never adressed the question that i put to you

what would you do to solve the problem of immigrants eating the wild life ?

Do you really believe immigrants have a propensity to eat wild life?! Chox remembers blacks being accused of having a predeliction for Pedigree Chum 30 years ago..and he was always a Winalot man "

Move back a few more decades and the o.p would be blaming the "jews" for everything.....same story different scapegoat...

"I vote send them all home, simply due to deporting my wife is likely alot cheeper than a divorce!! j/k"

lol your a brave man!!! xx

luton

"No EU resident can claim benefits in the UK for the first Two years of their stay, however you can still claim certain UK benefits if you are a Brit living in Spain for no more than 26 weeks in any 52 week financial year.

"

still waiting for a reply concerning the 2 year wait to be able to claim bennifit

Tayside

"still waiting for a reply concerning the 2 year wait to be able to claim bennifit"

The following quote is from the Department for Work and Pensions Website

"Who can claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit?

Persons from abroad

You can only get benefit if you have a right to reside and are habitually resident in the United Kingdom(UK). If you have entered the UK within the 2 years before your claim for benefit....."

Note the words "If you have entered the UK within the 2 years before your claim for benefit"

And just to reiterate it it says "2 years before"

You now have your answer

By *prite128Woman  over a year ago

maidstone

the rules over work and benefits, especially for housing, are complex and differ between the EEA nationals, what are called the A8 nationals and those from romania /bulgaria...getting progressively more stringent as you work through that list.

if youre genuinely interested the housing-rights.info site is very informative.

Having read this thread with great interest I (female) broadly believe in the concept of the EU, feel that Europe is a better place for it and that sacrifices are made everywhere, not just Britain and my home Germany to have the luxury of Europe, the freedom to travel, work and liver where we choose as one previous poster pointed out.

One thing that puzzled me once again - just returning today from one of my frequent trips to Germany... We were not stopped at any border in France, The Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg and Germany, in fact you hardly notice the former borders! Why do we still have the stringent, lengthy immigration control over here? It does not appear to be working, or does it? My partner tells me it is because "we are an island"....

luton

"

Example two

So why shouldnt his family receive child benefits, just like the rest of us. If it costs a few quid in child benefit to have immigrants like him WORKING here under their own enterprise I dont see what the problem is."

there is no reason at all why he should not recieve the bennifit

the only reason the example was given was to show that the people who think you need be in the uk for over 2 years to get a bennifit is wrong

luton

"So are the Polish shopkeepers in Luton not paying their business rates?, not paying their taxes?, not paying their bills?

Cake and Eat it springs to mind..."

yes they are paying there rates but they are not the ones that are at issue

the problem is with the ones that come to the uk , and cant find work so they have to live like nomads wandering the country killing the wildlife

lets get back to talking about them , not the legitimate immigrant that comes to the uk to make an honest living

its very easy to evade and skirt the question at hand

politicians are taught how to do that when at kindergarden

ask them what is the price of fish and they say , half past two

i am too long in the tooth to fall for that one

Please, it's benefit not benninfit.

There is a huge, sensible, mature, considered, passionate and factual debate to be had about immigration but try spelling one of your main topics properly.

luton

"

one person that was given a house to live in , paid for by spain

can i just point out one thing here....

people from the EU are not allowed to claim ANY benefits for the first 2 years... even though they are paying taxes here...

so take that out and retract that please...."

a few cut and pastes from the bennifits info web site

Example two

You may get Income Support if you are one of the following:

a lone parent

on parental or paternity leave

a carer

a refugee learning English who arrived less than a year ago

get that taken off the government web site and then i will retract

"Please, it's benefit not benninfit.

There is a huge, sensible, mature, considered, passionate and factual debate to be had about immigration but try spelling one of your main topics properly."

And there was I trying to diffuse the situation by deflecting the thread onto travelling in Europe... did not work lol..

However, was going to say I used to point out people's spelling mistakes until I understood dyslexia. Nobody should be made to feel small or inadequate for their spelling... and it is a swing site, not an English lesson...

My daughter is dyslexic, if the OP were, we would see it across his writings but we don't.

Yes it is a swing site so equally what has this whole thread got to do with swinging?

luton

There is a huge, sensible, mature, considered, passionate and factual debate to be had about immigration but try spelling one of your main topics properly.

And there was I trying to diffuse the situation by deflecting the thread onto travelling in Europe... did not work lol..

However, was going to say I used to point out people's spelling mistakes until I understood dyslexia. Nobody should be made to feel small or inadequate for their spelling... and it is a swing site, not an English lesson... "

when people start to loose the arguement they often jump on the bandwagon of spelling mistakes

yes people can be suffering from dyslexia or even one too many pints of beer

but if you understand what they mean what is the problem

people like winston churchill or martin luther king made spelling mistakes so i am in good company

"My daughter is dyslexic, if the OP were, we would see it across his writings but we don't.

Yes it is a swing site so equally what has this whole thread got to do with swinging? "

I have three dyslexic people in my immediate family and each are dyslexic in very distinct ways; dyslexia can take many shapes and forms and be milder or more severe.

You do have a point that neither has anything to do with swinging though, so I will stand corrected (and accept punishment)on the latter

Having said that, I just thought mentioning the dyslexia was going to make the thread more peaceful, that's all

However, was going to say I used to point out people's spelling mistakes until I understood dyslexia. Nobody should be made to feel small or inadequate for their spelling... and it is a swing site, not an English lesson...

when people start to loose the arguement they often jump on the bandwagon of spelling mistakes

people like winston churchill or martin luther king made spelling mistakes so i am in good company

"

Think Richard Branson is, too?

luton

"My daughter is dyslexic, if the OP were, we would see it across his writings but we don't.

Yes it is a swing site so equally what has this whole thread got to do with swinging? "

nothing

there is a swinging forum if you look , this is the lounge where threads can be about whats on tv , whats in the paper , or if its going to rain tommorow

luton

Think Richard Branson is, too? "

i think you mean richard branston

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

No, branson is correct

" so I will stand corrected (and accept punishment)on the latter

"

Now that is an offer I really would like to take up and it would brighten this thread for me definitely!!

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Yes it is a swing site so equally what has this whole thread got to do with swinging?

I have three dyslexic people in my immediate family and each are dyslexic in very distinct ways; dyslexia can take many shapes and forms and be milder or more severe.

You do have a point that neither has anything to do with swinging though, so I will stand corrected (and accept punishment)on the latter

Having said that, I just thought mentioning the dyslexia was going to make the thread more peaceful, that's all

"

Mentioning dyslexia won't make a thread turn peaceful.

But people respecting other peoples views will.

Iam sorry to say you are wrong im saying that about Benefit.I have been living and working in this country for a very long time my Husband was in the britsh Forces and he deid for his country in iraq in 93.When i got made redundent from my last job and i ask about benefit i was told that iam not alot to reseid in this country for Benefit purpose.Know you tell me how that works.

east london

" find work so they have to live like nomads wandering the country killing the wildlife"

OK lets deal with killing the wildlife, there are only two identified fish and Swans.

Re fishing its one of the great British and European past times. The UK markets this heavily in Europe, encouraging its anglers to come here - tourist euros are welcome it would seem.

Now i stand to be corrected but to date i haven't heard any on here objecting either the tourist industry or to line fishing and its done on a commercial scale by UK trawlers in European waters. As a kid we used to set out eel lines late at night and go collect our catch the following morning we were lucky to have one on the line let alone a line full, did my fair share of skulling, gutting and skinning before eating.

As for the swans the report is voicing anglers claims and I'm incline to agree that a couple of swans meet their demise this way but again cant get worked up about it. (Also suspect a number have meet and untimely death due to the good old British poacher themselves). Hundreds of swans/water fowl die each year from lead poising as a direct result weights from fishing, more again die from polluted waterways as a result of accidental runoffs from farms.

"Having read this thread with great interest I (female) broadly believe in the concept of the EU, feel that Europe is a better place for it and that sacrifices are made everywhere, not just Britain and my home Germany to have the luxury of Europe, the freedom to travel, work and liver where we choose as one previous poster pointed out.

One thing that puzzled me once again - just returning today from one of my frequent trips to Germany... We were not stopped at any border in France, The Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg and Germany, in fact you hardly notice the former borders! Why do we still have the stringent, lengthy immigration control over here? It does not appear to be working, or does it? My partner tells me it is because "we are an island".... "

I have mixed feelings regarding the EU.

On the one hand I am a supporter of having a full World Council that incorporates every nation on the planet and sorts out any problems that arise in any of the countries. We are a long long way from that I know but it starts with federations like the EU, NATO etc.. Get them right and we can start to talk about a World Council.

On the other hand however, I see the corruption that is rife in Brussels, committed by unelected officials who are answerable to nobody.

We should have been at the forefront of the EU, leading it's way and setting the pace but becuase of the Euro ditherers in Whitehall that we've had we have had to slink in through the back door after all the nice little deals have been done and dusted by the French and the Germans. We're just waiting for the scraps thrown from their tables now.

By *riapus4uMan  over a year ago

Charlestown, Cornwall

Is that the longest rant on Fab so far?.

Probrably a BNP/Daily Mail reader-I thought this site was non-plitical!!.

That is such a balanced view, Wishy - I could have written a lot of that myself only you phrased it better.

One thing I would like to say, and perhaps it is down to my cultural heritage : In Germany there are as many questions regarding the EU, the red tape of Brussels and little deals between nations as there are overhere, so when you ask the individuals, the Germans DO NOT THINK its all rosy either. There are many sceptics with balanced, well-founded arguments, presented in a much better format than I ever could. But there is also an overwhelming sense of union, achievement, peace and coexistence today, let alone some of the economic etc benefits.

xx

" so I will stand corrected (and accept punishment)on the latter

Now that is an offer I really would like to take up and it would brighten this thread for me definitely!! "

Hm, now I have to be submissive I guess lol xx

"That is such a balanced view, Wishy - I could have written a lot of that myself only you phrased it better.

One thing I would like to say, and perhaps it is down to my cultural heritage : In Germany there are as many questions regarding the EU, the red tape of Brussels and little deals between nations as there are overhere, so when you ask the individuals, the Germans DO NOT THINK its all rosy either. There are many sceptics with balanced, well-founded arguments, presented in a much better format than I ever could. But there is also an overwhelming sense of union, achievement, peace and coexistence today, let alone some of the economic etc benefits.

xx"

Alas, I think the only thing that would unite the people of Earth is if we had someone else to fight or be threatened by and as I can't see E.T. and his little buddies coming over to zap us for quite a few millenia yet I'm afraid that mankind will have to content itself with kicking the bejesus out of each other for a little while longer. Its in our nature.

"That is such a balanced view, Wishy - I could have written a lot of that myself only you phrased it better.

xx

Alas, I think the only thing that would unite the people of Earth is if we had someone else to fight or be threatened by and as I can't see E.T. and his little buddies coming over to zap us for quite a few millenia yet I'm afraid that mankind will have to content itself with kicking the bejesus out of each other for a little while longer. Its in our nature. "

Couldn't we make love instead...? Its in MY nature LMAO

xx

xx

Alas, I think the only thing that would unite the people of Earth is if we had someone else to fight or be threatened by and as I can't see E.T. and his little buddies coming over to zap us for quite a few millenia yet I'm afraid that mankind will have to content itself with kicking the bejesus out of each other for a little while longer. Its in our nature.

xx"

WE?... is that an invite? Or are you just attempting to start a new political movement with the specific goal of getting everyone to fuck everyone until we're all the same colour thus eliminating racism, multi-religious intolerance and the promotion of horizontal hedonistic pursuits thinly disguised as choreography?

I see your little game missus!!

Now, where can I download a membership form??

xx

xx

WE?... is that an invite? Or are you just attempting to start a new political movement with the specific goal of getting everyone to fuck everyone until we're all the same colour thus eliminating racism, multi-religious intolerance and the promotion of horizontal hedonistic pursuits thinly disguised as choreography?

I see your little game missus!!

Now, where can I download a membership form?? "

1. I feel my soul has been bared, my mission been undermined before it could ever get off the ground! I need to apply for instant reinforcement and back-up from my Mission Control! I vil zen viz Germanic vays continue ze program!

2. Membership details to be downloaded!!

" Hm, now I have to be submissive I guess lol xx"

NO! Just enthusiastic!

" Hm, now I have to be submissive I guess lol xx

NO! Just enthusiastic! "

No worries there, lol, it s in my genes I have been told

"

No different to when I moved 250 miles to live in Devon, I could do so because I am British and can choose to live anywhere on these isles....I can also move to Spain or Cyprus because I am a citizen of the EU....and I love that freedom."

Perhaps the reason you seem to continually come down on the side of immigration and berate those who disagree with the numbers arriving on our shores is due to your location.

Its a statistical fact (and not one from the Daily Mail I might add) that Scotland,the Nth East and the South West,where you live,have had the least number of immigrants over 50 years.

Even though they have shown some of the greatest recent increases,the numbers still remain relatively small compared to the rest of the U.K.

Maybe that's why you don't "feel threatened".

Perhaps if you lived in an area that was being swamped with immigrants your attitude would change and you would have more empathy for the people who do "feel threatened".

Its easy to be glib and apathetic about something that doesn't directly affect you........at this time!

"Its easy to be glib and apathetic about something that doesn't directly affect you........at this time! "

Or maybe some people can appreciate the many benefits most immigrants bring to this country notwithstanding the shortcomings, so can put the 'rough' into perspective against the 'smooth'.

luton

well , i opened the thread and i think its time to make my last comment

first of all it was not me that wrote the opening comment as it was a cut and paste from the newspaper

i just added the last sentance about 1 man for each spud

it has been very interesting to see some of the reactions especially the ones that vermently defend the imigrants

and of course the way that i have been called names such as a xenephobe

lets deal with that right now

i am not frightened of spiders so i am not aracnaphobic , but if you put me in a box with 5 million spiders crawling all over me i would not be to comfortable

its a bit like that with imigration

im very happy to see people travel all around europe and beyond working , studying , and enjoying tourist activitys

and before i go on i will re state the fact a lot of my friends are of varied decent , and some of the people i look up to as sports , or political "greats" are from all over the globe , mendela , ghandi , bruce lee , mike tyson , tiger woods , etc etc

where the problem lies is not with the inevitable mixture of cultures and even large numbers of workers like the brits going to germany to lay bricks , or jamaicans coming to the uk to drive buses

the problem we have is that people are coming to the uk in there millions , yes i said millions

and there not coming here to pick the vegetables , or drive the buses because all those jobs are filled

people talk about the vegetables rotting in the ground if theres no one to pick them , just how many vegetables do you think there are !!!!!!!!!

one thing you might give a little thought to also is , who picked the vegetables 10 years ago before the imigrants came here ?

people are coming to the uk in there millions and all they can do is to try eek out a living by living rough and eating the wildlife

and to try and compare that with a brit going to spain and opening a bar is so funny , i cant think of anything sensible to say about that

the problem as i see it is that when i walk around luton you hardly see anyone that that has the same ROOTS as myself

you cant talk to anyone because it is extreemly rare to find a person that speaks english

talking of ROOTS , its all very well for kunta kinte to talk about his roots , but god forbid an englishman

one of the most amusing attacks on me was the one about benifits

benifits were mentioned in the newspaper article but not by myself

even though i had not mentioned them it was rammed down my throat that you had to be in the uk for over 2 years before being able to claim benifit

and whats more a second person said that i should retract what i had said ( even though i had not said anything ) about the fact you needed to be in the uk 2 years or more before you could claim

the fact of the matter is that you can get benifit without being in the uk 2 years

when this was pointed out to them by a cut and paste from the government web site , did they say they were wrong ?

nooooooooooooooooooo they crawled away like a wounded animal and hid under a stone

anyway thanks to all those who took part , and that includes those i agree with , and those i dont

some people see others argueing in the threads , but they must remember that in most cases both partys are enjoying the cut and thrust and of course the banter

it would be a very boring life if we all agreed about everything

Torquay

So to sum it all up...

There are Millions of Immigrants living rough in the UK and the feckers are eating all our wildlife, it is extremely rare to find a person in Luton that can speak English, and you can't possibly be a Xenaphobe because your childhood hero was Bruce Lee.....

Thanks, got it now.....I think

"well , i opened the thread and i think its time to make my last comment

first of all it was not me that wrote the opening comment as it was a cut and paste from the newspaper

i just added the last sentance about 1 man for each spud

it has been very interesting to see some of the reactions especially the ones that vermently defend the imigrants

and of course the way that i have been called names such as a xenephobe

lets deal with that right now

i am not frightened of spiders so i am not aracnaphobic , but if you put me in a box with 5 million spiders crawling all over me i would not be to comfortable

its a bit like that with imigration

im very happy to see people travel all around europe and beyond working , studying , and enjoying tourist activitys

and before i go on i will re state the fact a lot of my friends are of varied decent , and some of the people i look up to as sports , or political "greats" are from all over the globe , mendela , ghandi , bruce lee , mike tyson , tiger woods , etc etc

where the problem lies is not with the inevitable mixture of cultures and even large numbers of workers like the brits going to germany to lay bricks , or jamaicans coming to the uk to drive buses

the problem we have is that people are coming to the uk in there millions , yes i said millions

and there not coming here to pick the vegetables , or drive the buses because all those jobs are filled

people talk about the vegetables rotting in the ground if theres no one to pick them , just how many vegetables do you think there are !!!!!!!!!

one thing you might give a little thought to also is , who picked the vegetables 10 years ago before the imigrants came here ?

people are coming to the uk in there millions and all they can do is to try eek out a living by living rough and eating the wildlife

and to try and compare that with a brit going to spain and opening a bar is so funny , i cant think of anything sensible to say about that

the problem as i see it is that when i walk around luton you hardly see anyone that that has the same ROOTS as myself

you cant talk to anyone because it is extreemly rare to find a person that speaks english

talking of ROOTS , its all very well for kunta kinte to talk about his roots , but god forbid an englishman

benifits were mentioned in the newspaper article but not by myself

even though i had not mentioned them it was rammed down my throat that you had to be in the uk for over 2 years before being able to claim benifit

and whats more a second person said that i should retract what i had said ( even though i had not said anything ) about the fact you needed to be in the uk 2 years or more before you could claim

the fact of the matter is that you can get benifit without being in the uk 2 years

when this was pointed out to them by a cut and paste from the government web site , did they say they were wrong ?

nooooooooooooooooooo they crawled away like a wounded animal and hid under a stone

anyway thanks to all those who took part , and that includes those i agree with , and those i dont

some people see others argueing in the threads , but they must remember that in most cases both partys are enjoying the cut and thrust and of course the banter

it would be a very boring life if we all agreed about everything "

well i for one do find your posts interesting and i do enjoy the banter etc with you and i have said before that i do as i have said that i may see things different to you as i live in the opposite end of the country and see things different.

some of the things written are written by papers through their viewpoint, and some of it is laughable and if eatin wildlife is a bad thing you better tell the country set that because they do it too not just immigrants sometimes people will do one thing but if someone else does it its an outcry??

if we all agreed it would be a very boring world but a good debate is a great thing whether it be about immigrants, the state of the country or the weather.

i for one will always back the case of the underdog thats just me and my way and i will stand to it i may not answer straight away as i do things outwith using the computer i know its hard to believe lol xx

Tayside

[Removed by poster at 11/04/10 19:07:29]

Tayside

"[Removed by poster at 11/04/10 19:07:29]"
Typo in last version

As I am a person who stays in an area where the vegetables, strawberries, daffodils, etc are now picked mainly by immigrant workers I feel I can reply to your question about who used to pick them and why that has now changed.

They used to be picked by local people, me being one of them as I was growing up, it used to be the norm that during School holidays (summer was berry picking and october was tattie picking) you went to the local farms to earn some extra cash.

This changed, in that, the local population saw that being a "berry picker" was beneath them and the local Farmers then had to look elsewhere to find people to pick their produce or it would need to "rot in the ground". In comes Eastern European Students, who were willing to do the jobs the locals refused to do, the Farmers were then able to get their produce picked, processed and off the the Supermarkets for everyone to then buy! In simple terms if the immigrants hadn't done it then the folk going to Wimbledon wouldn't have got their "Strawberries and Cream" (where is the tongue in cheek smillie when you need it).

As for the 2 year wait for benefits, I did post my own "cut & paste" from the Department for Work and Pensions website to answer your point on this but you chose to ignore it (and that's your right to). The benefits system changes from country to country & council to council in the UK since devolution & new EU members joining.

So it can be complicated to compare all timescales for obtaining benefits as a whole and to just dismiss that it can be only after 2 years that benefits can be claimed just shows a "blinkered" point of view.

As always these are my views on a very complicated subject and I am sticking to them!

resortin to insults is never a good sign is it??

xx

east london

Wondering how much longer this will remain open

"

i for one will always back the case of the underdog thats just me and my way and i will stand to it i may not answer straight away as i do things outwith using the computer i know its hard to believe lol xx"

I (female) also believe in healthy debate and exchange of views, it would indeed be a boring world if we all looked, felt and reflected in the same way. Long live Diversity

Also, supporting the underdog as you call distinguishes us from other species, it is a human and humane trait. Again, I totally agree with you there.

My goodness, all that agreement.... especially being such complex females as we are lol

By *ezebelWoman  over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

Ive just been to Tescos to get a swan for Sunday dinner....cant get one for love nor money. Flying off the shelves apparently. Witajcie.

Torquay

The question about Polish citizens being able to claim benefits is not simple, first of all you need to read the wording on the government example about the Polish family carefully...

They have assumed that the father in question is a self employed person, this is very clever as they are counting this person as a registered UK resident. In order to become a UK resident if you are a Polish citizen you have to be working at least 26 hours a week (therefore putting them above the Income Support threshold) and not eligible to Income Support.

Secondly they have to show at least Two years continuous employment before they can claim Jobseekers Allowance as a EU citizen with UK residency.

They cannot claim Housing Benefit nor go on a Social Housing waiting list as an EU resident unless they have been resident in the UK for Two years, and you cannot be a UK resident if you are from another EU country if you work less than 26 hours a week or can show savings that would show an income that puts you above the Income Support threshold...and is enough to last you 24 consecutive months.

They can claim Child Benefit (only if they are registered UK residents)

So you see it's not as simple as it seems, you made it sound so easy....and it ain't!

[Removed by poster at 11/04/10 20:06:40]

"Ive just been to Tescos to get a swan for Sunday dinner....cant get one for love nor money. Flying off the shelves apparently. Witajcie."

It looks all neck to me does it make good eating?

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Insults removed.

Please respect other peoples views without resorting to insults as you may find you can't post at all.

Torquay

"Ive just been to Tescos to get a swan for Sunday dinner....cant get one for love nor money. Flying off the shelves apparently. Witajcie.

It looks all neck to me does it make good eating?

"

Can anyone suggest an oven big enough to get a Swan in....before I buy one from a Polish bloke down the farmers market.

" the problem as i see it is that when i walk around luton you hardly see anyone that that has the same ROOTS as myself

"

Part of the problem with your argument is that you over embellish it by using sensational language.

There are ceretainly problems inherent in people of foreign cultures and different races moving to new countries.

However if you believe that you 'hardly' ever see English people or hear the English language spoken in Luton, I'm struggling to see how that can be true-unless of course you work in a refugee centre!

Regarding 'your roots', well I guess if you're indigenously English they're the same as mine, and nobody has prevented me from being proud of my Englishness and celebrating it accordingly. In fact many immigrants who come here have an appreciation of those roots, whilst I know very little about theirs.

Kunta Kinte had good reason to be keen to establish who he was, you might recall that his heritage and right to self determination had been taken away from him by the slave trade.

We, the white, 'indigenous' people of Britain, hold about 97% of the political power, control 99% of the wealth and make up about 85% of the total population.

I don't think anyone has touched upon what Britain would be like if there were NO foriegners here at all, or if Britain had not put itself about abroad.

We would have an insular society completely ignorant of other cultures and how they live. We would not have their input into how best to provide for their needs which gives us a greater understanding of who they are. We would not have embellished our own culture with cuisine from around the world and we certainly wouldn't be a nation of tea drinkers. The Upper Class would still rule in a Lord of the Manor type fashion and we'd still have to tip our cap to them in the morning.

If you look at the UK abroad, we would not know how best to deal with countries whose culture is so very different from our own and we'd miss out on some potentially very lucrative trade deals for Britain. Our politicians would not be able to argue our case abroad without the knowledge they would need to best accomplish that. We probably wouldn't have gone to war to protect smaller countries like Poland & France, we wouldn't have tried to establish a colony in the Americas and they wouldn't have been there to come to our aid in 1942. We would have been overan by Germany and you'd all be speaking German.

"I don't think anyone has touched upon what Britain would be like if there were NO foriegners here at all, or if Britain had not put itself about abroad.

We would have an insular society completely ignorant of other cultures and how they live. We would not have their input into how best to provide for their needs which gives us a greater understanding of who they are. We would not have embellished our own culture with cuisine from around the world and we certainly wouldn't be a nation of tea drinkers. The Upper Class would still rule in a Lord of the Manor type fashion and we'd still have to tip our cap to them in the morning.

If you look at the UK abroad, we would not know how best to deal with countries whose culture is so very different from our own and we'd miss out on some potentially very lucrative trade deals for Britain. Our politicians would not be able to argue our case abroad without the knowledge they would need to best accomplish that. We probably wouldn't have gone to war to protect smaller countries like Poland & France, we wouldn't have tried to establish a colony in the Americas and they wouldn't have been there to come to our aid in 1942. We would have been overan by Germany and you'd all be speaking German. "

Oy...

Evidently not an easy language to learn although in my opinion easier than French as much more closely related to English than the Roman languages.

"I don't think anyone has touched upon what Britain would be like if there were NO foriegners here at all, or if Britain had not put itself about abroad.

If you look at the UK abroad, we would not know how best to deal with countries whose culture is so very different from our own and we'd miss out on some potentially very lucrative trade deals for Britain. Our politicians would not be able to argue our case abroad without the knowledge they would need to best accomplish that. We probably wouldn't have gone to war to protect smaller countries like Poland & France, we wouldn't have tried to establish a colony in the Americas and they wouldn't have been there to come to our aid in 1942. We would have been overan by Germany and you'd all be speaking German. "

Your assuming the population of England would have been allowed to live there though!

By *iggles and BeardyCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

Bah swans indeed, bugger the swans wach out for your Carp pond, it is lkikely to sudenly empty neer xmas :P

its no often i agree with you but you got a point there well apart from the speaking german bit!!

well said wishy xx

If you look at the UK abroad, we would not know how best to deal with countries whose culture is so very different from our own and we'd miss out on some potentially very lucrative trade deals for Britain. Our politicians would not be able to argue our case abroad without the knowledge they would need to best accomplish that. We probably wouldn't have gone to war to protect smaller countries like Poland & France, we wouldn't have tried to establish a colony in the Americas and they wouldn't have been there to come to our aid in 1942. We would have been overan by Germany and you'd all be speaking German.

its no often i agree with you but you got a point there well apart from the speaking german bit!!

well said wishy xx"

Its ok, lol... I ll get him later

"Its ok, lol... I ll get him later "

Taps foot impatiently, waiting.

now i hope your not here for all the good sunbeds????? xx

"Its ok, lol... I ll get him later

Taps foot impatiently, waiting. "

Part of ze vay ve make you talk!!

"now i hope your not here for all the good sunbeds????? xx"

I got a degree in placing my towel pmsl xx

Actually, on a slighty (only very slightly) more serious note... Having been in this wonderful country for the past 10 years plus... I learnt how top do things "properly", learnt to queue in other words.

Now when I go back to Germany, I end up not getting served anymore because I lost the "free for all" ability....

Cant win

he he!! brilliant can you teach me for july please?? xx

"he he!! brilliant can you teach me for july please?? xx "

It is easy!

Module one : Identify strategic position of sunbed of your choice, which has to be in close proximity to pool, ice cream and drinks bar and at the same time allow you to beat other nationalities in teh race for lunch!

Module 2 : Set alarm for 5 am (used to be 6am but the Brits and Danes have caught up so need to be an hour ahead) and place towel and a book (which suggests you are intelligent) on identified sunbed.

Module 3 : Attach towel with super glue so that no other nationality (or beer advertising agency) can remove it and throw it into pool.

Module 4 : Quietly march back to your bedroom and carry on sleeping for another 6 hours.

That is the Foundation Course only but might help for July...

excellent!! advice duely noted and plan shall be used in july!!! now to find an intellectual book im assumin jordans autobiography part 7 wont do?? x

"excellent!! advice duely noted and plan shall be used in july!!! now to find an intellectual book im assumin jordans autobiography part 7 wont do?? x "

Possibly not, it requires an element of written language rather than just pics and I believe part 7 might just be more of the same previsou 6... bless her. I don't actually dislike her..

Have fun in July and if all fails, dont speak, just shout at the others with a strong German accent... might help lol

If there were no foreigners living here at all, it is true as you say that we would not have their input into how best to provide for their needs which gives us a greater understanding of who they are. However, if they aint living here, we don't need the insight in the first place as we wouldn't be providing for their needs.

We don't need foreigners living here in ordr to know how to import tea. We didn't go to war to protect Poland, we went to war as it became obvious that Hitler would not stop at Poland, Hansard is quite clear on this. We didn't go to war to protect smaller countries like France, as we declared war before France was invaded, nor is France a smaller country.

We didn't set up colonies in the New World because foreigners were living here, they were set up by groups, for example, the Puritans, who felt persecuted here.

Our feudal system did not get abolished because we either went abroad or had foreigners living here, and I can find no evidence that the doffing of caps went out of fashion due to us either going abroad or foreigners living here.

I do agree with you that we can have a nice Indian or Chinese meal, but that doesn't justify a massive influx of migrants from the EU.

Torquay

If there were no foreigners living here at all, it is true as you say that we would not have their input into how best to provide for their needs which gives us a greater understanding of who they are. However, if they aint living here, we don't need the insight in the first place as we wouldn't be providing for their needs.

We don't need foreigners living here in ordr to know how to import tea. We didn't go to war to protect Poland, we went to war as it became obvious that Hitler would not stop at Poland, Hansard is quite clear on this. We didn't go to war to protect smaller countries like France, as we declared war before France was invaded, nor is France a smaller country.

We didn't set up colonies in the New World because foreigners were living here, they were set up by groups, for example, the Puritans, who felt persecuted here.

Our feudal system did not get abolished because we either went abroad or had foreigners living here, and I can find no evidence that the doffing of caps went out of fashion due to us either going abroad or foreigners living here.

I do agree with you that we can have a nice Indian or Chinese meal, but that doesn't justify a massive influx of migrants from the EU."

The only answer to that is to discontinue membership of the EU, is that feasible this far down the line?....what impact would it have on the UK?

Interesting

I do agree with you that we can have a nice Indian or Chinese meal, but that doesn't justify a massive influx of migrants from the EU."

** ALERT * * ALERT **

SENSE OF HUMOUR FAILURE

Yes why are all these bloody southerners moving up north

"Yes why are all these bloody southerners moving up north "

To be a darn sight closer to that sexy bod of yours!!

So shallow I know, but hey, I'm a man, I'm supposed to be.

"Yes why are all these bloody southerners moving up north

To be a darn sight closer to that sexy bod of yours!!

So shallow I know, but hey, I'm a man, I'm supposed to be. "

You have so far not stated what defines a Southerner, wishy!!!! Which countries qualify, please?

"Yes why are all these bloody southerners moving up north "

whooops, should have addressed that question to you guys, rather than giving Wishy a hard time lol

Does Germany count as a Southerner?

whooops, should have addressed that question to you guys, rather than giving Wishy a hard time lol

Does Germany count as a Southerner? "

Dont ask me i was born in manchester and moved norther

Does Germany count as a Southerner?

Dont ask me i was born in manchester and moved norther "

Have not got a cat in hell's chance then, Germany would be kind of the South Pole in relation

all immigrants should be sent to torquay a warm welcome will be waiting from jane !

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

Did they post the recipe for cooking the swans anywhere?

Forum Mod

"Did they post the recipe for cooking the swans anywhere?"

I removed it...........I like swans and did'nt want to give too many people too many ideas

"Did they post the recipe for cooking the swans anywhere?

I removed it...........I like swans and did'nt want to give too many people too many ideas"

I was thinking of cooking swan for Easter but I couldn't find a big enough roasting tin..... now the weather is brightening up I might drag the bbq out. I am sure I'll fit one on that.

By *ig badMan  over a year ago

Up North :-)

"Did they post the recipe for cooking the swans anywhere?

I removed it...........I like swans and did'nt want to give too many people too many ideas

I was thinking of cooking swan for Easter but I couldn't find a big enough roasting tin..... now the weather is brightening up I might drag the bbq out. I am sure I'll fit one on that."

If you do can i have a bit of neck

Damn google…. I’m trying to find a Ukrainian butcher who will chop up the swan for me

"Damn google…. I’m trying to find a Ukrainian butcher who will chop up the swan for me "

I hope chop isn't a Ukrainian word for someone that does rude things to swans!

"Damn google…. I’m trying to find a Ukrainian butcher who will chop up the swan for me

"

I'm more worried about asking for stuffing

"Damn google…. I’m trying to find a Ukrainian butcher who will chop up the swan for me

I'm more worried about asking for stuffing "

He might be a nice Ukrainian butcher with a good line in Kielbasa

It's OK .... I found a Polish one.

Czy jestes czlowiekiem nogi lub piersi?

"Damn google…. I’m trying to find a Ukrainian butcher who will chop up the swan for me "

Are you allowed to eat swan? I thought it was only the queen who could.

Are you allowed to eat swan? I thought it was only the queen who could."

She can come to the bbq if she wants.

I'm more worried about asking for stuffing "

You've never had that problem before!

I'm more worried about asking for stuffing

You've never had that problem before! "

I know, but I don’t usually have to rely on an online translator…. I might end up with an extension being built and my knickers full of giblets

I do agree with you that we can have a nice Indian or Chinese meal, but that doesn't justify a massive influx of migrants from the EU.

** ALERT * * ALERT **

SENSE OF HUMOUR FAILURE

"

It would help if you specified whether you are trying to talk sense or are deliberately spouting drivel - it is hard to spot the difference.

** ALERT * * ALERT **

SENSE OF HUMOUR FAILURE

It would help if you specified whether you are trying to talk sense or are deliberately spouting drivel - it is hard to spot the difference."

It is an emotive subject and it will cause heated debate as Britain has clearly nor ever has had a strict immigration policy. Far from it over many, many years immigration has been encouraged at times. However its not very productive getting personal with individuals on this issue.

** ALERT * * ALERT **

SENSE OF HUMOUR FAILURE

It would help if you specified whether you are trying to talk sense or are deliberately spouting drivel - it is hard to spot the difference."

I find that incredibly insulting and if that's how you wish to continue this 'debate' then I withdraw.

Torquay

"all immigrants should be sent to torquay a warm welcome will be waiting from jane !"

I will gladly take the attractive young male immigrants to one side and give them an official Torquay Council grilling and body search....

» Add a new message to this topic