FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Should the age for voting be lowered?

Should the age for voting be lowered?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

There are fresh calls for the age for being able to vote in the UK to be lowered to 16. The campaigners for the move say that youngsters feel disenfranchised by the current political climate and that, with an ageing population, the pensioner bracket will become the most powerful voting block in UK elections. It is also argued that someone over 16 but under 18 can take a bullet for their country but not vote on who governs it. 6 of the first 100 soldiers to die in Afghanistan were too young to have ever taken part in an election.

Should 16y/o's be allowed to vote?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"There are fresh calls for the age for being able to vote in the UK to be lowered to 16. The campaigners for the move say that youngsters feel disenfranchised by the current political climate and that, with an ageing population, the pensioner bracket will become the most powerful voting block in UK elections. It is also argued that someone over 16 but under 18 can take a bullet for their country but not vote on who governs it. 6 of the first 100 soldiers to die in Afghanistan were too young to have ever taken part in an election.

Should 16y/o's be allowed to vote?"

no - They shouldn't be out fighting wars either. Are you sure they can Wishy?

No!!

Adults feel disenfranchised, voter apathy is manifested by the low numbers who vote. Giving children the vote is not going to automatically make them interested in the clowns in Westminister!

Daft (cynical?) move if true!!

"There are fresh calls for the age for being able to vote in the UK to be lowered to 16. The campaigners for the move say that youngsters feel disenfranchised by the current political climate and that, with an ageing population, the pensioner bracket will become the most powerful voting block in UK elections. It is also argued that someone over 16 but under 18 can take a bullet for their country but not vote on who governs it. 6 of the first 100 soldiers to die in Afghanistan were too young to have ever taken part in an election.

Should 16y/o's be allowed to vote?

no - They shouldn't be out fighting wars either. Are you sure they can Wishy?"

The info I posted above as lifted from the BBC website. The young men in Afghanistan that died were 17y/os. I'm not sure about the law on sending 16y/o troops out to fight, I would imagine that basic training would take up most of the year between 16 and 17 so it's probably just a matter of time elapsed from joining the army to completing basic that prevents them going out to warzones before they are 17. I'm assuming this of course.

To throw another argument into the mix against lowering the age it might be said that at 16 a person is old enough to hold a gun and pull it's trigger but with regard to matters more intricate like politics a 16y/o doesn't possess the maturity of thought to cast a vote with the due diligence neccessary to the issues that trouble the country and to intelligently decide who is best equipped to solve these problems.

By *el_n_DonnaCouple  over a year ago

Coventry

I believe that there was a change in policy a few years ago now that no one under 18 would be sent to the front line or an active warzone. This was after an under 18 was killed.

If you join the forces before you are 18, you have to have parental permission.

Personally think that should be a rethink of a lot of the ages, however not sure what the magic answer is.

16 - You can legally shag yourselves senseless

17 - Now you can drive a car to meet your shag partner to shag yourself senseless

18 - Now you can buy booze and fags to make a party of shagging yourself senseless. And when you sober up, you can make a decision on who said you can do all this, dependant on when the next general election is. So if you were unlucky, you may be 22 when this happens!

Del

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

There may have been a change since my day, but as far as I know the rules are still the same.

You need to be 17yrs6mth old before you can join the navy/Army/Air Force, if you join up at 16 you become a junior/apprentice and get transferred to the regs at 17 1/2. That they are now sent strait into active service just like those strait out of basic shows how under strength our forces are, and that is disgraceful!

They should not lower the age, they should be looking at reducing who can vote

They should ban postal votes

Candidates must have proper links to the constituency (no parachutes, no women's lists or any lists really)

Local newspapers must publish the MP/WAM/SAM/MEP etc activities (respect to security, but not to be used to hide things) so we can see what they do, say and vote etc

You must present yourself to the polling station, (Mobility, carers, all sorts of laws and benefits, so not a real issue).

Remove the party names and only have the candidates names, if you don't know the candidates name then...how do you know them?

The polling day should be a national holiday, no excuse for going.

And finally, if you don't vote, don't moan

PS, to those who want, 'none of the above', what if they won, who is the government??????????????

moston

"They should not lower the age, they should be looking at reducing who can vote

They should ban postal votes

Candidates must have proper links to the constituency (no parachutes, no women's lists or any lists really)

Local newspapers must publish the MP/WAM/SAM/MEP etc activities (respect to security, but not to be used to hide things) so we can see what they do, say and vote etc

You must present yourself to the polling station, (Mobility, carers, all sorts of laws and benefits, so not a real issue).

Remove the party names and only have the candidates names, if you don't know the candidates name then...how do you know them?

The polling day should be a national holiday, no excuse for going.

And finally, if you don't vote, don't moan

PS, to those who want, 'none of the above', what if they won, who is the government??????????????

"

I want the "none of the above" option added to the ballot!

That way I can vote all of the corrupt money grubbing pigs out!

"....I want the "none of the above" option added to the ballot!

That way I can vote all of the corrupt money grubbing pigs out!

"

The traditional way for 'none of the above' is to stay at home, but then you can't moan, as you didn't vote.

I'm sure that many of them are first class representatives

By *ausage and sizzleCouple  over a year ago

Barnstaple

Speaking as someone who's son is joining the Royal Marines at the moment, these kids are not allowed to see active service now until they are 18.

I personally wouldn't want people who have had no real experience of the realities of life to be choosing who governs us.

By *uton_coupleCouple  over a year ago

luton

what difference would it make ?

the system at the moment means that all you can do is shift from labour to conservative , and then back again

even then the only seats that make a difference are the "marginals"

and even if you change the power base from labour to conservative , the same old faces are there on both sides of the house

and if the labour party are in opposition , and the conservatives have a small majority ( as expected ) you can have more power in opposition than if your in power , as its too easy to pick holes in any ideas the other side comes up with and make them look twats

what with that and worst of all the UNELECTED monarchy being in overall control of proceedings , they have the whole thing sewn up like a box of kippers

the amount of MP.s that retire after a number of years , that are NOT milliono **king aires can be counted on the fingers of one hand

so to worry about 16 to 18 year olds voting is just giving oxygen , and importance to the biggest farce in history

that people who vote can make a difference

what a joke

By *b430Man  over a year ago

Tayside

"what difference would it make ?

the system at the moment means that all you can do is shift from labour to conservative , and then back again

and even if you change the power base from labour to conservative , the same old faces are there on both sides of the house

and if the labour party are in opposition , and the conservatives have a small majority ( as expected ) you can have more power in opposition than if your in power , as its too easy to pick holes in any ideas the other side comes up with and make them look twats

what with that and worst of all the UNELECTED monarchy being in overall control of proceedings , they have the whole thing sewn up like a box of kippers

the amount of MP.s that retire after a number of years , that are NOT milliono **king aires can be counted on the fingers of one hand

so to worry about 16 to 18 year olds voting is just giving oxygen , and importance to the biggest farce in history

what a joke "

Of course it makes a difference!

If there wasn't a voting system to see who was in Government to tell us what we should, or more often, shouldn't be doing then they would all be 'UNELECTED' and there would be more people moaning about that than just the Monarchy being there!

If you don't like the system then don't vote and if you don't vote don't moan about who is elected into Government, not really rocket science is it!

Those are my views and I am sticking to them

well me personally i think they should be allowed to vote. not all teenagers are granny mugging buckfast drinkin knife weilding wee neds there are some sensible ones around!

the government that gets elected in this time for someone who is 16 will be there for 4 years at a time that is crucial to them regarding education, health, welfare etc so they should be able to have a say thats if they choose to use the right to vote xx

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

I have an image in my head of two young ladies debating the economy, taxation and a strategic overview of social care reforms… just before discovering they are 5p short to buy a bag of monster munch and they ain’t buyin’ them cheapo prawn cocktail crisps as they smell like fanny and did Shazza really get fingered by Ozmo at the back of the community centre on Wednesday night coz she was blasted on vodka.

moston

"well me personally i think they should be allowed to vote. not all teenagers are granny mugging buckfast drinkin knife weilding wee neds there are some sensible ones around!

the government that gets elected in this time for someone who is 16 will be there for 4 years at a time that is crucial to them regarding education, health, welfare etc so they should be able to have a say thats if they choose to use the right to vote xx"

OK so if you give 16 yo's the vote are you also willing to lower the age at which they can join the regular armed forces and be sent to die on active duty, placed in adult prisons ect?

Remember that if you reduce the voting age you also reduce the age of majority making 16yo’s adults and have adult duties and responsibilities.

yes if they old enough to make the decision to join the forces then they old enough to be called up for duty once properly trained. i dont know how long the training process takes as i have no experience of the forces.

never agreed with juvenille prisons if they over 16 then they should be in an adult prison might put them off commitin a crime if they in with the big boys in barlinnie etc.

the majority is they grey vote anyway due to falling birth rate and longer life span and who is to say they will turn out to vote anyway? xx

By *ickmealloverWoman  over a year ago

a very plush appartment off junt 7 M5

you could look at it the other way and ask could they do a worse job of electing people to run the country than we have

I mean really

why is everyone thinking that all teeenagers are fools as this is cleary not the case

but not all 50 yr olds are wise either

moston

I don’t think that we think they are stupid, I think we know that they are a mass of raging hormones that have them rebelling against everything.

As for the idea of having them serve in active duty units at 16, why stop there? Let’s drop the voting age to 14 or 13, maybe 10 or 12, after all they can read and of course carry a gun, all we need to do is let them have a vote and we too can have child soldiers.

Maybe we should be thinking of rising the voting age to 21 again and giving our young people more time to mature rather than forcing them to grow up younger.

Just a thought.

"well me personally i think they should be allowed to vote. not all teenagers are granny mugging buckfast drinkin knife weilding wee neds there are some sensible ones around!

the government that gets elected in this time for someone who is 16 will be there for 4 years at a time that is crucial to them regarding education, health, welfare etc so they should be able to have a say thats if they choose to use the right to vote xx

OK so if you give 16 yo's the vote are you also willing to lower the age at which they can join the regular armed forces and be sent to die on active duty, placed in adult prisons ect?

Remember that if you reduce the voting age you also reduce the age of majority making 16yo’s adults and have adult duties and responsibilities.

"

Oh well spotted.

anyway why 16, the age for leaving school is soon to be 18...

Why not 13 = teenagers

or 5 = start school

all potentially key points.

As a poster mentions 18 is the age of becoming an adult with the good and bad of being an adult...

i think there is a big difference between voting and child soldiers!!!

at 16 your on the cusp of entering adulthood and we all got to grow up sometime (me im exception to that!)

at 21 i had my own house had been workin full time for 4 years had my driving licence for 4 years had been in pubs for 3 years (officialy anyway!)

were you ever a teenager or did you go from child to middle age??

maybe if more young people took an interest in politics then we wouldnt have the apathy we have now x

"I don’t think that we think they are stupid, I think we know that they are a mass of raging hormones that have them rebelling against everything.

As for the idea of having them serve in active duty units at 16, why stop there? Let’s drop the voting age to 14 or 13, maybe 10 or 12, after all they can read and of course carry a gun, all we need to do is let them have a vote and we too can have child soldiers.

Maybe we should be thinking of rising the voting age to 21 again and giving our young people more time to mature rather than forcing them to grow up younger.

Just a thought.

"

I do agree with you

I think 21 should be the legal age to vote, drink, marry, enlist etc, give them time to become grown ups

But not all young people think politics is a waste of time

It isnt

and its the only system we have so until we find a better one, we have to go with this one

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

Well every year something like 49,000 under 18’s (whoops forgot it takes two to tango – make that 98,000) can’t manage to work out how to use contraception effectively… so go figure how they’ll work out how to effectively use a ballot paper.

luton

IF and i say IF

people are going to vote then they should have to answer , by ticking about 5 boxes the answer to questions of a political nature to assertain they are competent to vote at the time of polling

if the answers are correct there vote goes foward for counting , if not there vote is void

that way you could vote at 4 years old and be counted , or vote at 60 and not be counted

personnaly i will not vote as after looking at the system with open eyes , and a modicum of intelligence over the last 40 years have come to the conclussion its all a joke

you can vote for an MP for the sole reason that you want a by pass for your town , and when he is elected , and the time comes for him to vote on that bypass he votes the other way because he is told to do so by the WHIP , who are doing a deal with the lib dems over another issue

the bypass was the biggest thing on your mind so even though that MP was going to push for things you DID NOT want you voted for them anyway

so all you ended up with was to be tripple foocked

you can tripple fook me once , but you wont do it twice

some might say that if you dont vote there is nothing you can do to change things and you will have to lump it or like it

well nelson mandela never voted , but he made a difference , he went on to become the president of the country

so the proof is there written in history for all to see that you dont need to vote to make a difference

those that suggest otherwise just make themselves look like the straw man in the wizard of oz

"what difference would it make ?

what a joke

Of course it makes a difference!

If there wasn't a voting system to see who was in Government to tell us what we should, or more often, shouldn't be doing then they would all be 'UNELECTED' and there would be more people moaning about that than just the Monarchy being there!

If you don't like the system then don't vote and if you don't vote don't moan about who is elected into Government, not really rocket science is it!

Those are my views and I am sticking to them "

Sounds reasonable to me!

moston

"But not all young people think politics is a waste of time

It isnt

and its the only system we have so until we find a better one, we have to go with this one "

Absolutely! I grew up in a politically active family, my father was a very active Irish Catholic Nationalist Tory anti union right wing bigot, my mother was a died in the wool Irish nationalist pro union socialist, our best family friends were a Labour party councillor who’s husband was a union leader, an Orange Order black grand master + a Conservative speaker of the house and a quite senior Labour backbencher.

Seeing all these “enemies” together most of the time (except elections) and listening to them discussing current affairs and politics was wonderful, I was very privileged to grow up in such an atmosphere and it gave me a true insight into the workings of our country.

I believe that politics should be taught in schools to all, so that everyone understands exactly how important it is, and how the system works.

Tayside

"IF and i say IF

people are going to vote then they should have to answer , by ticking about 5 boxes the answer to questions of a political nature to assertain they are competent to vote at the time of polling

if the answers are correct there vote goes foward for counting , if not there vote is void

that way you could vote at 4 years old and be counted , or vote at 60 and not be counted

personnaly i will not vote as after looking at the system with open eyes , and a modicum of intelligence over the last 40 years have come to the conclussion its all a joke

you can vote for an MP for the sole reason that you want a by pass for your town , and when he is elected , and the time comes for him to vote on that bypass he votes the other way because he is told to do so by the WHIP , who are doing a deal with the lib dems over another issue

the bypass was the biggest thing on your mind so even though that MP was going to push for things you DID NOT want you voted for them anyway

some might say that if you dont vote there is nothing you can do to change things and you will have to lump it or like it

well nelson mandela never voted , but he made a difference , he went on to become the president of the country

so the proof is there written in history for all to see that you dont need to vote to make a difference

those that suggest otherwise just make themselves look like the straw man in the wizard of oz"

And pray tell this 'Straw Man' how Nelson Mandela became President? Did they, by chance, change the system that was in place at the time to allow him to be VOTED into power

History is changed by people voting in other people to make the changes!

I am upping my status to 'The Wizard' now lol

"They should ban postal votes

"

This isn't about how people can vote, it's about whether under 18s can vote at all, but as you've raised the subject I'll mention this: I work away from home and as elections are always on a Thursday I would never be able to make it home in time to vote which means that unless I can vote via post I won't be able to vote at all. You stated that election day should be a national holiday so that everyone can vote without excuse - which would solve my particular dilemma - but then I'd have to travel umpteen miles back to wherever it is I'm working almost immediately after casting my vote. And what about by-elections? Should they be a holiday too?

"But not all young people think politics is a waste of time

It isnt

and its the only system we have so until we find a better one, we have to go with this one

Absolutely! I grew up in a politically active family, my father was a very active Irish Catholic Nationalist Tory anti union right wing bigot, my mother was a died in the wool Irish nationalist pro union socialist, our best family friends were a Labour party councillor who’s husband was a union leader, an Orange Order black grand master + a Conservative speaker of the house and a quite senior Labour backbencher.

Seeing all these “enemies” together most of the time (except elections) and listening to them discussing current affairs and politics was wonderful, I was very privileged to grow up in such an atmosphere and it gave me a true insight into the workings of our country.

I believe that politics should be taught in schools to all, so that everyone understands exactly how important it is, and how the system works.

"

well said that man

if you can vote at 16, then many will vote for the following

Allowed to

marry

Drive

Drink

Smoke

allowed bank loans and credit cards

Serve on juries

which is likely to;

Be sent to war zones

be sentenced through the adult courts

Be sent to adult prisons

be allowed to leave school

Will not need their parents to accompany them to police stations etc

Actually be responsible for others under 16

and many more I can't think of right now...

moston

"IF and i say IF

those that suggest otherwise just make themselves look like the straw man in the wizard of oz"

Rather than not vote, vote for none of them, by that I mean spoil your ballot paper by writing "none of them" across it. Then you will have recorded your view.

If the 20/30/40% of people who fail to vote or register to vote did this the politicians would change their attitude over night.

While you and others like you sit at home and fail to register your disillusionment with our leaders they have no incentive to change, and they also have no incentive to point out to you that you always have the option of spoiling your paper and it is a powerful option!

Again just my opinion and maybe something for you to think about.

"IF and i say IF

Wow, how did you get to be so cynical! I'm glad you don't exercise your right to vote as you'd probably form a Neo-fascist party and vote for it.

So we take away elections and have what to write our laws and argue our case abroad with other countries? Who would organise our local services and alloocate money to the NHS where it is needed?

I'm not saying that the people doing those things are doing them correctly at the moment, but that's the beauty of an election - we can eject them and vote new people in to see if they do a better job of it, and they can't, we vote again.

You really are niave if you think that Mandela's way is the only way to make a change without using the ballot box. He operated in a country radiclally different to the system we have over here, and he used the bomb to argue his point. The rights and wrongs of that are for a different discussion but to use Mandela as an analogy shows you really don't understand what living in a free democratic society entitles you to.

".....If the 20/30/40% of people who fail to vote or register to vote did this the politicians would change their attitude over night.

"

as if, they would still be elected. if only 10 people voted there would be someone elected....some councils elections seem to only low 100's voting.

elections

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elections_in_the_United_Kingdom

explain about voting or not...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_turnout

By *exeteraWoman  over a year ago

Bridgend

Having recently read an article off the back of a survey of young people about the voting age being lowered. The majority view was that 16 wasn't appropriate. However, it was discussed that political studies should be taught in all schools so that we all understand that politics has and does impact on all our lives. It was also discussed that the statistics for under 25's who vote is around 34%. So without education including politics I can't honestly see what is to be gained from lowering the age limit. This was also very much the feeling of the young people surveyed. The article can be found on the Reader's Digest website and was included in March's magazine.

moston

".....If the 20/30/40% of people who fail to vote or register to vote did this the politicians would change their attitude over night.

as if, they would still be elected. if only 10 people voted there would be someone elected....some councils elections seem to only low 100's voting.

elections

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elections_in_the_United_Kingdom

explain about voting or not...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_turnout

"

This is true, but it is the subtle difference between millions being so disillusioned that they do not vote or millions being so disillusioned/angry that they deliberately spoiled their ballot papers.

You need to remember that parliament rules by consent, as do all governments and that if the population withdraw that consent then it is not possible to govern. If those who seek power suddenly find that they are loosing that consent they will change or be swept aside!

While the majority of us either continue to play our given part in their game of musical chairs by voting for one or another of them when they decide we can or just stop playing they have no incentive to change and will continue to blow smoke in our eyes with inconsequentials like votes for 16yo’s or children being given the right to choose their teachers. After all anything will do to keep the prols distracted!

Not to sure if I want 16yr olds having the vote!!!

What are the political parties going to entice them with!!?

And for all those ppl who are saying "I wont vote" & "I dont vote" WTF are you doing commenting you have disqualified your selfs from any opinion on the system by not voting...

By *couple412Man  over a year ago

faversham

Personally, I don't know anyone who has "grown up" so much between the ages of 16 and 18 for it to make the slightest bit of difference.

however, I do know that lots and lots and lots of young people feel no one in power (be that political, law enforcement etc etc) listens to them or gives a shit about them and so they react with hostility and distrust.

If the voting age was lowered and we showed more trust in them maybe they would respond.

And at the end of the day we have been doing it one way for years and years and years... and look at what that has got us. Corruption, two main parties who are almost carbon copies of each other, distrust, apathy etc etc.

Maybe lowering the age is a bad idea, but doing nothing is a far, far worse idea in my opinion.

luton

"IF and i say IF

those that suggest otherwise just make themselves look like the straw man in the wizard of oz

Wow, how did you get to be so cynical! I'm glad you don't exercise your right to vote as you'd probably form a Neo-fascist party and vote for it.

So we take away elections and have what to write our laws and argue our case abroad with other countries? Who would organise our local services and alloocate money to the NHS where it is needed?

I'm not saying that the people doing those things are doing them correctly at the moment, but that's the beauty of an election - we can eject them and vote new people in to see if they do a better job of it, and they can't, we vote again.

You really are niave if you think that Mandela's way is the only way to make a change without using the ballot box. He operated in a country radiclally different to the system we have over here, and he used the bomb to argue his point. The rights and wrongs of that are for a different discussion but to use Mandela as an analogy shows you really don't understand what living in a free democratic society entitles you to."

i am trully astounded that you cant see why people are cynical

i will give you one example

first of all i will say that i am against hanging

but a number of years ago there was an overwhelming majority of the public that wanted to bring hanging back

they lobbyed there MP.s to do just that

what happened in the house when they voted on it , you guessed it they voted the opposite way to what the public wanted

so if the overwhelming majority of the public want more money spent on the NHS , what makes you think the MP,s will vote the way the public want

they will do whatever THEY want to do no matter what you think , so why bother to vote for them in the first place

if i went into a restaurant ( the only one in town ) and when asked ordered steak and chips , only to have sausage and mash plonked in front of me , i would be annoyed

if the same thing happened the next night i would be annoyed again

but dont try and add to that annoyance by taking the piss and asking me what i want on the 3rd night

cos the answer would be , just do what you normally do and plonk any old shit in front of me and ill goble it up

you say im nieve forgeting that i have been watching what goes on in politics for over 40 years

and when you say we can get rid of those that do a bad job by voting someone else in , rolls very nicely off the tounge but it does not address directly the point i made about the hanging vote

those idiots who voted all those years back because they wanted to bring back hanging , allready tried to get rid of the ones that would vote against it being brought back in , and voted for the ones who said they WOULD bring it back in

what did they get ?

sausage and mash

mendela would not have been seen dead in a voting booth prior to serving all those years in prison , and his sacrifice changing the system to a fairer one

i will just add this and cover the subject of the MANIFESTO

after all that is the main thing that you vote for after all said and done

what manifesto was it in that fuel duty was going to be linked to a so called FUEL TAX ESCALATOR , and fuel duty would go up a lot more than inflation ?

cos i never saw it in any manifesto

not that it has made the slightest difference as the oil is being pumped as fast , if not faster than ever

so if it is IN the manifesto it doesnt mean they will carry it through , and if its not in the manifesto they will do it anyway / whatever they feel like that is

and you think i should take part in that system

give me a break

Tayside

"i am trully astounded that you cant see why people are cynical

i will give you one example

but a number of years ago there was an overwhelming majority of the public that wanted to bring hanging back

what happened in the house when they voted on it , you guessed it they voted the opposite way to what the public wanted

so if the overwhelming majority of the public want more money spent on the NHS , what makes you think the MP,s will vote the way the public want

they will do whatever THEY want to do no matter what you think , so why bother to vote for them in the first place

if i went into a restaurant ( the only one in town ) and when asked ordered steak and chips , only to have sausage and mash plonked in front of me , i would be annoyed

if the same thing happened the next night i would be annoyed again

but dont try and add to that annoyance by taking the piss and asking me what i want on the 3rd night

cos the answer would be , just do what you normally do and plonk any old shit in front of me and ill goble it up

you say im nieve forgeting that i have been watching what goes on in politics for over 40 years

and when you say we can get rid of those that do a bad job by voting someone else in , rolls very nicely off the tounge but it does not address directly the point i made about the hanging vote

those idiots who voted all those years back because they wanted to bring back hanging , allready tried to get rid of the ones that would vote against it being brought back in , and voted for the ones who said they WOULD bring it back in

what did they get ?

sausage and mash

mendela would not have been seen dead in a voting booth prior to serving all those years in prison , and his sacrifice changing the system to a fairer one

i will just add this and cover the subject of the MANIFESTO

after all that is the main thing that you vote for after all said and done

what manifesto was it in that fuel duty was going to be linked to a so called FUEL TAX ESCALATOR , and fuel duty would go up a lot more than inflation ?

not that it has made the slightest difference as the oil is being pumped as fast , if not faster than ever

so if it is IN the manifesto it doesnt mean they will carry it through , and if its not in the manifesto they will do it anyway / whatever they feel like that is

give me a break "

Drive a few extra miles and go to another town to get your 'Steak and Chips', if everyone did the same then the restaurant would either need to change it's menu or go out of business.

It takes a bit of an effort sometimes to get what you want and not just accept there is nothing you can do to change it! Either that or you sit at home moaning about the restaurant's sausage and mash!

"what manifesto was it in that fuel duty was going to be linked to a so called FUEL TAX ESCALATOR , and fuel duty would go up a lot more than inflation ?

give me a break "

No party of government, or opposition party, can possibly include every single law and resolution that it intends to make in a single manifesto. Often, new laws are reactionary and address a specific occurence that has taken place - for those laws it would be impossible to predict that they would be neccessary.

The issue of capital punishment has been debated endlessly ever since it was abolished. You do remember why it was abolished don't you? Innocent men & women were executed and politician's know that the public are given to knee-jerk responses to individual acts of brutality - like the Bulger case, for example. It is that public anger that MPs seek to difuse by preventing the public demanding that most harshest of penal systems - capital punishment. I fully support MPs who have steadfastly refused to reintroduce hanging regardless of public outcry.

You analogy of sausage & mash doesn't stack up either. If you continually receive such shoddy service you have more than the one option you listed available to you. You can open your own restaurant and serve the public what you think they deserve - but I'd bet my life you'd revert back to sausage & mash at some point.

luton

"what manifesto was it in that fuel duty was going to be linked to a so called FUEL TAX ESCALATOR , and fuel duty would go up a lot more than inflation ?

give me a break

No party of government, or opposition party, can possibly include every single law and resolution that it intends to make in a single manifesto. Often, new laws are reactionary and address a specific occurence that has taken place - for those laws it would be impossible to predict that they would be neccessary.

The issue of capital punishment has been debated endlessly ever since it was abolished. You do remember why it was abolished don't you? Innocent men & women were executed and politician's know that the public are given to knee-jerk responses to individual acts of brutality - like the Bulger case, for example. It is that public anger that MPs seek to difuse by preventing the public demanding that most harshest of penal systems - capital punishment. I fully support MPs who have steadfastly refused to reintroduce hanging regardless of public outcry.

You analogy of sausage & mash doesn't stack up either. If you continually receive such shoddy service you have more than the one option you listed available to you. You can open your own restaurant and serve the public what you think they deserve - but I'd bet my life you'd revert back to sausage & mash at some point."

by talking about a specific occurence that might take place AFTER the manifesto is evading the fuel tax issue

the goverment was half way through its term when it decided unilaterally to raise the cost of fuel to reduce global warming

even if you believe global warming is taking place they could have waited till the NEXT election and brought it up then and PUT IT IN the manifesto to be voted on the reason being its going to take 100 years before it warms , so hardly the need for desperate , rush decitions

to mention some event like a volcano exploding in manchester , that they need to take action on , and compare that with the fuel tax issue is a deliberate trick using smoke and mirrors to squirm out of directly tackling the question in hand

i said from the outset that i do not agree with capital punishment

but if the public decide that thats what they want then thats that

or where do you draw the line

oh the public dont want to join the euro but we think its a knee jerk reaction so bollox to them lets scrap the pound

oh the public want to keep the national heath system but we think its a knee jerk reaction lets get rid of it anyway and make it BUPA only

once you go down that road of riding roughshod over what people want and doing the opposite its a very dangerous route to take

put it this way , they could just have easily gone the other way and decided to hang people when the public did NOT want them to

and for all you know i might well be opening my own restaurant one day , after all its been done before the ANC do a nice mango pie and Sinn Féin do a lovley frothy guiness flambo

Tayside

"i will give you one example

what happened in the house when they voted on it , you guessed it they voted the opposite way to what the public wanted "

That was your first post about MPs and hanging!

"once you go down that road of riding roughshod over what people want and doing the opposite its a very dangerous route to take

put it this way , they could just have easily gone the other way and decided to hang people when the public did NOT want them to "

This is your latest! The 2 don't match up

So to get back to the original point, if someone your age (no offence meant, it's just a fact) can't follow Politics without getting confused, how is a 16 year old meant to at their age and know who to vote for?

Again no offence meant just quoting from your posts.

Are you kidding!

Have you seen the average 16 year old?

Most of them couldn't find their own arseholes with both hands and a mirror!

Would you really trust them to vote for anything that would affect you ffs?

XXXX

You’ll always get this argument, perhaps 16 to 18 year olds should be excluded from paying taxes?

By *umourCouple  over a year ago

Rushden

"

You really are niave if you think that Mandela's way is the only way to make a change without using the ballot box. He operated in a country radiclally different to the system we have over here, and he used the bomb to argue his point. The rights and wrongs of that are for a different discussion but to use Mandela as an analogy shows you really don't understand what living in a free democratic society entitles you to."

Saved me typing it! Thanks wishy

"Are you kidding!

Have you seen the average 16 year old?

Most of them couldn't find their own arseholes with both hands and a mirror!

Would you really trust them to vote for anything that would affect you ffs?

XXXX"

i know a lot of so called adults like that shall we remove there right to vote?

but i know a lot of 16 yr olds that can hold a political debate better than many adults and they also have a better grasp of what happens now can affect their future.

people are sayin about them voting for someone THEY dont want doesnt that happen every election people come in that they didnt vote for??

whos to say it would make things any worse than they are now if 16-18 got the vote?

think the same worries were bandied about when women wanted the vote xx

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

most 16 year olds couldnt make thier minds up,whether to have a wank, or a bag of wotsits.now they get a say in who runs the country.i hope it never happens.ok i know most of them would go for the wank.

"most 16 year olds couldnt make thier minds up,whether to have a wank, or a bag of wotsits.now they get a say in who runs the country.i hope it never happens.ok i know most of them would go for the wank. "

You've just described most men

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

"most 16 year olds couldnt make thier minds up,whether to have a wank, or a bag of wotsits.now they get a say in who runs the country.i hope it never happens.ok i know most of them would go for the wank.

You've just described most men "

very true

"You’ll always get this argument, perhaps 16 to 18 year olds should be excluded from paying taxes? "

Anyone who earns money is subject to paying tax, including babies...

Of course the argument could be, if you don't pay you can't vote (unemployed people, children).

No clear cut, can't just have the good bits without the other bits that comes with it

The nutshell of this thread seems to be,

Is a 16 year old an adult, or is 18 a sensible age to classed as an adult...

Can't pick and choose what adult bits apply to you...

» Add a new message to this topic