FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Goldfish!!!!!!!!!!!

Goldfish!!!!!!!!!!!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

The Mail newspaper yesterday reported on a 70 year old pet shop owner who has been fined £1000 and put on tag with a 7am to 7 pm curfew for four months

Her son fined £750 and 120 hours community service

What for????

Selling a gold fish to a lad under 16 sent by the council to test the shop

Ok she was breaking the law and they also found a sick bird in the shop that was later put down

BUT COME ON WTF is happening in this country

Real criminals murderers rapists etc are having their sentences reduced right left and center and then a 70 year old woman on tag!!!

I am not for one minute saying that she should not have been punished (especially for the bird)but when the case has cost the tax payer over £20,000 i seriously think that the judicial system in this country is completely out of touch with reality xx

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

ok i get the sick bird thing but since when has it been against the law to sell a goldfish to under 16's???

"ok i get the sick bird thing but since when has it been against the law to sell a goldfish to under 16's???"

Yep i didnt know that either lol xx

By *obbytupperMan  over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

Plus what is wrong with selling a goldfish to anyone of any age. Fairgrounds used to give them away I got my first at 5yo. Taught me that I had to look after pets.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Eh? thats ridiculous

I do have a monty python moment in my head though

when i was a kid the rag and bone man used to give gold fish away when you gave him something --------------

have to say though when we read this article we thought it was a April Fool joke

the other joke in the paper is the one with the AA man on turbo jets

By *obbytupperMan  over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

Hang on April 1st?

Jeezo what is the world coming to?

I remember taking all my brothers clothes to the rag and bone man so I could get a goldfish..... I was eight years old at the time.

I got a hiding and I'm sure the raggy man got a good telling off from my mum, that was the only justice then!

I don't believe that someone gets tagged for selling a goldfish.

I need to look this up .....maybe she did a strangle hold on the judge or sommat .... Or trawls the streets shouting fishy fishy fishy near playgrounds.....

Back in a bit. x

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"Hang on April 1st?

"

April 2nd!!

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

"The Mail newspaper yesterday reported on a 70 year old pet shop owner who has been fined £1000 and put on tag with a 7am to 7 pm curfew for four months

Her son fined £750 and 120 hours community service

What for????

Selling a gold fish to a lad under 16 sent by the council to test the shop

Ok she was breaking the law and they also found a sick bird in the shop that was later put down

BUT COME ON WTF is happening in this country

Real criminals murderers rapists etc are having their sentences reduced right left and center and then a 70 year old woman on tag!!!

I am not for one minute saying that she should not have been punished (especially for the bird)but when the case has cost the tax payer over £20,000 i seriously think that the judicial system in this country is completely out of touch with reality xx "

If you truly believe that they put a tag on a 70 year year old and placed them on curfew for selling a goldfish to someone under the age then I am afraid it is you that is out of touch with reality....

The Daily Mail is so full of half truths and downright bullshit that I am surprised it hasn't gone bust years ago.

I would guess that the charge of selling a goldfish and having a sick bird in a shop are two incidental charges that sat alongside something far more serious in court.

Nope this story is true it was in the mail the other day not yesterday xx

But prior to that, the council had apparantly received complaints that she'd sold a hamster to an Autistic girl, who'd then put it in a disposable coffee cup with the lid on and left it to die.

It looks like the Council have just been waiting for the opportunity to pounce on her, although I think 1000 quid and a tag is just a little bit over the top.

What's the point of the tag ffs ?

I agree with her conviction, but the punishment ??? Lets hope she appeals.

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

"Nope this story is true it was in the mail the other day not yesterday xx "

Just because the Mail carried a story doesn't make it feckin' true!

the story has been in several papers and is true which is realy shocking and scary .the laws in this country are seriously mad and something needs to be done and done quick

"Nope this story is true it was in the mail the other day not yesterday xx

Just because the Mail carried a story doesn't make it feckin' true!"

And the BBC news will also be telling porkies eh ?

"Nope this story is true it was in the mail the other day not yesterday xx

Just because the Mail carried a story doesn't make it feckin' true!"

I was merely pointing out that the story did not appear on April fools day

"Jeezo what is the world coming to?

I remember taking all my brothers clothes to the rag and bone man so I could get a goldfish..... I was eight years old at the time.

I got a hiding and I'm sure the raggy man got a good telling off from my mum, that was the only justice then!

"

lol oh thats funny! i tried to give him my recently born new baby brother but he told me he was giving 'little uns away not blooming collecting em'

"Jeezo what is the world coming to?

lol oh thats funny! i tried to give him my recently born new baby brother but he told me he was giving 'little uns away not blooming collecting em' "

hahahaha I think we must be related! My brother was only 18 months old and as his clothes were the newest I thought I'd get a better goldfish. I never thought to give him away though, he was my real life 'dolly'

Done a 'bit' of looking at reports.

The story is true in so far as she has been fined and had a community order slapped on her.

The TAG is because she has said she cannot do the community work so they compromised with her and she has a curfew to not go out between 7 at night and 6 in the morning.

If she could have done the community work there wouldn't have been a tag.

I think it's all very steep seeing as she has never been in trouble before. However this is NOT a line used when a pedo attacks a child for the first time.

She didn't look after animals. She ignored all legislation. She did the crime .... end of really.

When people are let off everyone screams for blood. When they get caught everyone cries shame.

If the papers reported all the facts we wouldn't have a thread so thanks Daily Mail

It was on the local TV news on Wednesday 31 March - the day before April Fools Day!!

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

It is illegal to sell any animal, including fish, (as some don't believe they are animals!!) to a child under the age of 16. It is also illegal for fairs etc to give them away as prizes if the child is not with an adult.

Legislation regarding this changed last year. Or possibly the year before, I can't really remember!!!

Five members of one family were found guilty of "grotesque" cruelty after one of Britain's largest horse-rescue operations. RSPCA inspectors who raided Spindle Farm in Buckinghamshire found a "horror scene" of starving, emaciated and diseased animals, surrounded by the rotting corpses of others.

In total, 115 horses, ponies and donkeys were rescued and 32 others were found dead in varying states of decay.

trader James Gray, 45, and his son James Junior, 16, were found guilty of 11 charges under the Animal Welfare Act 2006. His wife Julie, 41, and daughters Jodie, 26, and Cordelia, 20, were each convicted of two charges under the same Act.

Nicolas De Brauwere, the head of welfare at Redwings, one of the horse sanctuaries called in to help, said: "I feel the evidence of cruelty and the extent of equine suffering in this case was so overwhelming that a guilty verdict was the only possible outcome so I am delighted with today's result. "I have no doubt that what myself and my colleagues saw that day will remain with us for the rest of our lives."

Trader guilty of Britain's worst animal cruelty case can still keep horses

09th May 2009

The RSPCA raided Spindles Farm in Hyde Heath, Buckinghamshire, in January 2008, and has spent over £850,000 caring for the 115 animals it rescued.

This is very bleak in comparison and not one of these offenders were tagged, how they can be allowed to still keep animals is beyond me!

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

The woman owning the shop was on Jeremy Vine show (Radio2) and it would apeear that this was actually one of several breaches of the law that this woman had carried out. It has been illegal to sell ANY animal or fish to anyone under 16 for some years now. She also failed to offer advice to the buyer on how to care for the fish (illegal). The bird with "a lump on it`s leg" was not actually for sale, so she says, but it transpired the bird`s leg was actually badly broken to the point that the animal was actually in some pain and had to be destroyed to put it out of it`s misery, such was the seriousness of the break.

Apparently, the Trading Standards had been watching this woman and her shop for some time.

The reason why fair grounds can give under 16s a goldfish is because they`re not SELLING the fish, they`re "giving it away" as a prize

She got a curfew policed by a tag cos she can't do the work that the community order she got requires. So it was a swap.

"ok i get the sick bird thing but since when has it been against the law to sell a goldfish to under 16's???"

Since April 2007 when the Animal Welfare Act 2006 came into force in England & Wales.

Section 11 of the Act makes it an offence for a person to sell an animal to anyone they reasonably believe to be under the age of 16.

The act does not place an obligation on the seller to verify the age of their customer.

It was this ladies contention in her defence that the kiddie that the local authority sent in looked to be over 16 so she didn't check his age.

It's not an offence to sell it to someone under the age of 16 if they are accompanied by an adult.

The purpose of the Act was to reduce animal suffering by consolidating and bringing up-to-date the 22 Acts of Parliament that existed to promote the welfare of farmed, domestic and captive animals.

All seems a bit bizarre as it is not illegal to 'give' animals away to anyone under the age of 16. So, even though you may pay for a fairground game, it won't be illegal for them to give you a goldfish as a prize!

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

And I stand corrected about fairs giving fish away. Seems that law has changed very recently.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

I know this was 20odd years ago...but I used to have a friend who collected tropical fish, he was given a fish when its owner died (by the RSPCA) but did not know if it was a piranha or a harmless fish that looks the same.

When he asked the RSPCA man how he could find out before he added it to his collection, he was told to put it in a separate tank with a goldfish and not feed it for a week and watch, if there were still 2 whole fish a week later then it was harmless!

He was also told that if it was a piranha I would eat the goldfish from tail to gills as piranhas rather their food live!

Wonder what they would say now?

"Done a 'bit' of looking at reports.

The story is true in so far as she has been fined and had a community order slapped on her.

The TAG is because she has said she cannot do the community work so they compromised with her and she has a curfew to not go out between 7 at night and 6 in the morning.

If she could have done the community work there wouldn't have been a tag.

I think it's all very steep seeing as she has never been in trouble before. However this is NOT a line used when a pedo attacks a child for the first time.

She didn't look after animals. She ignored all legislation. She did the crime .... end of really.

When people are let off everyone screams for blood. When they get caught everyone cries shame.

If the papers reported all the facts we wouldn't have a thread so thanks Daily Mail "

Lol Granny i realise that newspapers don't report all the facts and sensationalise things

In that way I'm not out of touch with reality as a previous poster suggested

However to put a 70 year old on tag irrespective of her ability to perform community service is a little extreme

And the fact that the case has cost US so much money again is ridiculous

As mentioned in my original post i believe they should have been punished

But to use a sledge hammer to crack a nut???

Especially when major crimes have sentences that make you question the sanity of the judges involved lol xx

" I know this was 20odd years ago...but I used to have a friend who collected tropical fish, he was given a fish when its owner died (by the RSPCA) but did not know if it was a piranha or a harmless fish that looks the same.

When he asked the RSPCA man how he could find out before he added it to his collection, he was told to put it in a separate tank with a goldfish and not feed it for a week and watch, if there were still 2 whole fish a week later then it was harmless!

He was also told that if it was a piranha I would eat the goldfish from tail to gills as piranhas rather their food live!

Wonder what they would say now?

"

I guess nothing! Live mice are fed to snakes.

Fish is food for fish.

I'm so glad that the RSPCA, and rescue officers etc. have police and the law to back them fully, we are supposed to be a nation of animal lovers but alas fail in many ways when the animals welfare is paramount.

I caught a television programme yesterday where an RSPCA officer was on a crack-down on animals raised on high rise balconies, one person had over a dozen chickens seized and he was fined.

Fairgrounds have to have a licence to operate and I'm sure that all the neccessary checks are made before they are issued with a licence to trade. This would encompass stalls involving goldfish too so it's not as though children can get a goldfish for free at a funfair but cannot purchase one legally until they are 16. There is effective governance covering both instances.

If this particular woman had been on the trading standards/council radar for some time then it is right and just that she has been prosecuted for yet another breach of the law in what would appear to be a long line of likewise breaches. It does beg the question: Why hasn't her licence to trade been withdrawn if she's that bad at keeping animals?

moston

" one person had over a dozen chickens seized and he was fined. "

but a comercial factory farm is OK!

FFS what a crock!

" one person had over a dozen chickens seized and he was fined.

but a comercial factory farm is OK!

FFS what a crock!"

They had fuckin' Crocs too ?? The world has gone insane.

Forum Mod

My friends children each won a goldfish at a fair recently,she could'nt leave the stall without buying a goldfish bowl and fishfood though so it cost her a fortune and she did'nt want the bloody things anyway

Of course the punishment is over the top, and as always more to the facts unless you can see the court transcript.

Of course we should have laws to protect animals from pain and suffering.

But as many above have commented, the ordinary person has read about far worse cruelty, with next to no punishment for their offences.

Hence peoples astonishment at the punishment. Whats the reason for the tag, did she go out at night selling goldfish?

"My friends children each won a goldfish at a fair recently,she could'nt leave the stall without buying a goldfish bowl and fishfood though so it cost her a fortune and she did'nt want the bloody things anyway "

I've have dropped it... "oops, so sorry, no it's ok, we won't be requiring a replacement, cheerio then."

"Of course the punishment is over the top, and as always more to the facts unless you can see the court transcript.

But as many above have commented, the ordinary person has read about far worse cruelty, with next to no punishment for their offences.

Hence peoples astonishment at the punishment. Whats the reason for the tag, did she go out at night selling goldfish?"

JESUS CHRIST! AM I INVISIBLE?

She was given a community order and couldn't do the work ...... SO ... the curfew is in leiu of doing the community work ... The TAG is to police the sodding Curfew..... !!

I can see me getting cross soon !

apparantly she is will mellors aunty , there a whole load of stuff on this story , its ridiculous ive been in many times to a large very well known pet store and complained 1st time for a male guinea pig been in with a load of females the shop assistant tried telling me i didnt know what i was talking about untill i pointed out that 2 of the feamles were so heavily pregnant they could hardly move , 2nd time was for several dead fish in the same tank , and the 3rd time was again in the guinea pigs and there was a little boy who eyes were all scabby and he looked like he was on his way out told the manager who had a look at it and tried to fob me off with the well we buy them in from abroad so we dont know what they are bringing in !!!

they also make me laugh as it their policy not to sell guinea pigs on their own as they are very social creatures yet you often find on sat on its own ,

its the world gone crazy

"Of course the punishment is over the top, and as always more to the facts unless you can see the court transcript.

Hence peoples astonishment at the punishment. Whats the reason for the tag, did she go out at night selling goldfish?

She was given a community order and couldn't do the work ...... SO ... the curfew is in leiu of doing the community work ... The TAG is to police the sodding Curfew..... !!"

who said that

Forum Mod

"My friends children each won a goldfish at a fair recently,she could'nt leave the stall without buying a goldfish bowl and fishfood though so it cost her a fortune and she did'nt want the bloody things anyway

I've have dropped it... "oops, so sorry, no it's ok, we won't be requiring a replacement, cheerio then.""

She had 3 of them,the youngest one ran off really happy with his and ran straight into a stick which poked a hole in the bag.......well it all turned into a bit of a disaster

moston

Hence peoples astonishment at the punishment. Whats the reason for the tag, did she go out at night selling goldfish?"

now you done it!

I'd say sorry to granny now before she gets upset!

She was given a community order and couldn't do the work ...... SO ... the curfew is in leiu of doing the community work ... The TAG is to police the sodding Curfew..... !!"

Calm down dear, it's only a thread (in the voice of Michal winner)

Forum Mod

Im waiting for Granny to turn green

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

"I can see me getting cross soon !"

Soon? I thought it was happening now !!

But Swing, you were not out of touch with reality by the looks of it

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"Im waiting for Granny to turn green "

Does she burst a shirt when that happens?

She was given a community order and couldn't do the work ...... SO ... the curfew is in leiu of doing the community work ... The TAG is to police the sodding Curfew..... !! who said that"

Stu! Stick 97p's worth of nanas up it.

"

But Swing, you were not out of touch with reality by the looks of it "

For a change pmsl xxx

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Well I did nearly put that but thought against it haha

"

She had 3 of them,the youngest one ran off really happy with his and ran straight into a stick which poked a hole in the bag.......well it all turned into a bit of a disaster "

well slap me down and stick a tag on me, I can't stop laughing at the vision of the wee one with the burst bag!

Forum Mod

"

She had 3 of them,the youngest one ran off really happy with his and ran straight into a stick which poked a hole in the bag.......well it all turned into a bit of a disaster

well slap me down and stick a tag on me, I can't stop laughing at the vision of the wee one with the burst bag! "

You can just see the wobbly bottom lip can't you

"My friends children each won a goldfish at a fair recently,she could'nt leave the stall without buying a goldfish bowl and fishfood though so it cost her a fortune and she did'nt want the bloody things anyway "

She should count herself lucky! I'd have sold her a sideboard to keep the bowl on !

It’s pretty obvious it’s all about money, that’s all councils are concerned with nowadays, topping up the kitty, if it were about anything else the RSPCA would have been involved, the councils are merely finding ways of making dosh, and sending a 6ft tall 14 year old lad complete with stubble to catch the shop owner out, if it was a 10 year old then I’d see their point, if this woman was like the councils state they wouldn’t have had to trick her to get a conviction, the councils seem to be immune to entrapment.

"

well slap me down and stick a tag on me, I can't stop laughing at the vision of the wee one with the burst bag!

You can just see the wobbly bottom lip can't you "

a Greek tragedy, from happy to howling in a nanosecond.

iv lost count of the amount of goldfish we have come home from funfairs with and there been a few "incidents" lol!!

one of the bloody things lived for 5 years not even in a bowl in an old miltons steriliser unit because me and my wisdom said i wasnt buyin a bowl etc for it to die in 2 days!!

i think this woman has been made an example of and the punishment does seem harsh when you see what some people do to animals xx

By *ickmealloverWoman  over a year ago

a very plush appartment off junt 7 M5

MIND NUMBINGLY STUPID

like you say, criminals get away wih far worse so its becoming increasingly easy to attack the average man over nonsense

"MIND NUMBINGLY STUPID

like you say, criminals get away wih far worse so its becoming increasingly easy to attack the average man over nonsense"

Im not so sure about the label hmmmm .

» Add a new message to this topic