FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Knives

Knives

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

When i set up home 4yr ago i just bought a cheap knife block.. but now they are pretty much useless.

Im no masterchef would just appreciate some input/recommendations on a half decent set that wont break my shoulder when trying to dice a se

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Have you sharpened them? I use ceramic knives now. Fantastically sharp mega hygienic too.

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Hereford

Unless you are some kind of super chef you only need two knives - a small paring knife and a cooks knife (maybe a 7-8in one). I have a "Lion" sabatier one that I like, which didnt cost megabucks.

Just remember to keep them sharp.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Try a turnip instead

"Have you sharpened them? I use ceramic knives now. Fantastically sharp mega hygienic too. "

not attempted it.. just thought the knives cost me £10 or somethin like that. Never were great even when brand new. Just figured its something practical id enjoy using so time to upgrade.

not after professional quality but something around £50-£80 for a set not per knife lol

By *uby0000Woman  over a year ago

hertfordshire

I use my kitchen devil bread carving knife for everything had it years and never had to sharpen it yet

Asda sell sabatier ones singly so you can replace one at a time, or the asda one piece stainless ones are good. Ive started replacing mine with them

"Unless you are some kind of super chef you only need two knives - a small paring knife and a cooks knife (maybe a 7-8in one). I have a "Lion" sabatier one that I like, which didnt cost megabucks.

Just remember to keep them sharp. "

i already have a great bread knife

i dice raw meat, carve meat off a chicken etc, prep veg, peel spuds and carrots using a knife (hate spud peelers)

thats pretty much it.

never filleted a fish or do boned a joint. Butchery isnt my thing

"Asda sell sabatier ones singly so you can replace one at a time, or the asda one piece stainless ones are good. Ive started replacing mine with them"

Ah might have to go there then, only thought of Argos to get knives from or a local kitchen shop

By *ackandkateCouple  over a year ago

Truro

all the supermarkets sell them now.

Kate got ours from one of those home shopping channels

Got all excited for a min when I saw the title of this thread

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Bought my ex a set of chef's knives last xmas, she sliced her thumb open whilst attempting to carve the turkey

As already mentioned, a cook's knife (I have a 6in as my hand is small) and a paring knife are the most essential, and these I bought first for my camping kit as I did not want to take the ones from home.

A bread knife is useful and it was the 3rd knife I bought for my camping kit.

I added a boning knife to my collection at home as it is so much easier to use one to take raw meat off bones, such as a lamb shoulder for making a curry.

For carving meat off a roast, a good set of carving fork and knife is invaluable.

A serrated paring knife is useful if one eats enough sliced tomatoes to justify one.

And learn to keep knives sharp by investing on a sharpner.

My oldest is my 6in cook's knife that I bought in 1989 when I had my first property, and it is still as good as new. Cost me a small fortune compared with others household items that I bought at the time, however it was definitely money well spent.

Kitchen Devils knives as good value for money IMHO.

However, one cannot beat the quality of top notch German brands such as Gustav, Henckel and Wusthof.

As daft as it might sound, if you are left handed, make sure you get a set of left handed knives. They are sharpened on the opposite side to make it easier for you to cut with.

Anyone wanting to know where to get them from, just do a google search

I have a Fairbairn & Sykes knife...

You can get a cheap set of professional chef knives from Russems..

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

"Got all excited for a min when I saw the title of this thread "

Me too!!!

Tkmax have some great knife sets.. They have a couple of sets where the full knives including blades... Are coloured quick funky... As well as being practical, and good quality, funky too.

"Have you sharpened them? I use ceramic knives now. Fantastically sharp mega hygienic too.

not attempted it.. just thought the knives cost me £10 or somethin like that. Never were great even when brand new. Just figured its something practical id enjoy using so time to upgrade.

not after professional quality but something around £50-£80 for a set not per knife lol "

Steel is easily the best but you can buy thee most expensive yet - you still have to sharpen them!

An axe for one of those things lol

Nette

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"Got all excited for a min when I saw the title of this thread "
the same here thought this was gonna be a fun thread

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"An axe for one of those things lol

Nette"

I can fire up ma chainsaw if that's any use

Whatever set of knives you decide to get, it's a good idea to get into the habit of either sharpening them before you put away in the block or to always sharpen with a proper steel just before use.

"Got all excited for a min when I saw the title of this thread the same here thought this was gonna be a fun thread "

Kukari lessons?

"Got all excited for a min when I saw the title of this thread the same here thought this was gonna be a fun thread "

ok am i missing something here?

Get the most expensive set you can afford but obviously compare like for like at different shops.

There are clips on youtube showing how to sharpen properly.

A blunt knife is as much use as a chocolate tea pot....

By *ruitWoman  over a year ago

near kings lynn

I need some better knives to be honest. Just not good at sharpening them well.

I am a bit of a helpless girl in situations like this. Prefer a man to do stuff like that after picking me up on his white horse as he carries me away to a life with freedim and sexual fulfilment

Sorry

Did someone ask a question? Got carried away in my dream with pugs flying over me lol

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

Most towns have a guy in a wee van who sharpens knives for the restaurants. Track him down and he'll do yours for a few quid.

By *ruitWoman  over a year ago

near kings lynn

"Most towns have a guy in a wee van who sharpens knives for the restaurants. Track him down and he'll do yours for a few quid."

Really? ??

"Most towns have a guy in a wee van who sharpens knives for the restaurants. Track him down and he'll do yours for a few quid."

can honestly say ive not known of this service.. chefs i know just sharpen their own knives

Robert Dyas do a sabatier knife block at a very reasonable price of £30ish.

Stanley make Great Knives i regularly shave with mine before peeling the spuds and carving the Roast...Anyone for Dinner ?

Gary

Have look in yellow pages, there is a knife sharpening service there. Chefs sharpen thier knives, most restaurants sharpen the knives for thier cooks.

im shocked, after all the people that have read this thread, no one has offered to come and sharpen your knives, if you were closer, I would have done it for you.

"Get the most expensive set you can afford but obviously compare like for like at different shops.

There are clips on youtube showing how to sharpen properly.

A blunt knife is as much use as a chocolate tea pot...."

Or as useless as my poor, permanently numb left thumb!

"im shocked, after all the people that have read this thread, no one has offered to come and sharpen your knives, if you were closer, I would have done it for you."

to be fair id decline any offer as lovely as it might be.

these were very cheap basic knives that are probably not worth saving, besides i want to upgrade the quality.

i know nothing about branding and have sinced googled some names that have appeared.

"im shocked, after all the people that have read this thread, no one has offered to come and sharpen your knives, if you were closer, I would have done it for you."

You old, sharp romantic, you!!!

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"Got all excited for a min when I saw the title of this thread the same here thought this was gonna be a fun thread

ok am i missing something here? "

yes you are pm sent

By *ouplefunukCouple  over a year ago

North Bristol

"Unless you are some kind of super chef you only need two knives - a small paring knife and a cooks knife (maybe a 7-8in one). I have a "Lion" sabatier one that I like, which didnt cost megabucks.

Just remember to keep them sharp. "

This is great advice and Zwilling J.A. Henckels area fantastic knives.

Hubby has had his for more than 18 years and they're still as ood as new with a semi regular sharpen.

DO NOT put good knives in the dishwasher!!!

*Her*

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Most towns have a guy in a wee van who sharpens knives for the restaurants. Track him down and he'll do yours for a few quid.

can honestly say ive not known of this service.. chefs i know just sharpen their own knives "

I regularly see the same guy walking from kebab shops and restaurants towards a white van - carrying an handful of knives.

My chefs knives all got knicked while still at college. My only one left is a pastry knife (bread knife) I use it to cut alsorts - wood, turf, plasterboard, bread sometimes... 15 yrs old and still going.

"Most towns have a guy in a wee van who sharpens knives for the restaurants. Track him down and he'll do yours for a few quid.

can honestly say ive not known of this service.. chefs i know just sharpen their own knives

I regularly see the same guy walking from kebab shops and restaurants towards a white van - carrying an handful of knives. "

I use the back of another knife

"My chefs knives all got knicked while still at college. My only one left is a pastry knife (bread knife) I use it to cut alsorts - wood, turf, plasterboard, bread sometimes... 15 yrs old and still going."

So, not on thieves, then?

By *ouplefunukCouple  over a year ago

North Bristol

Couple of things...

Keep them sharp. Like, really sharp. Never use an "Anysharp" sharpener as they suck like you would not believe and will destroy the edge. If you can - invest in a water wheel style of sharpener. OR learn how to use a steel.

Full length "tangs" are best. Riveted handles are ok, but either moulded or metal are best.

Serrated blades are bad for anything other than a steak knife. Whatever anyone says about staying sharp is bollocks.

As the wife says - never "dishwash" a good knife. You'll destroy the handle quickly.

If you buy a knife block - get one that stores the blades horizontally. Having a block that rests the blades on the edge blunts the knife each time you put them into and pull them out of the block.

Oh and NEVER cut on glass chopping boards. You'll blunt the knife quickly and it makes a horrible noise lol. Get a decent wooden chopping board and look after it.

As you might have guessed - I get a bit obsessed by certain things. Gimme a shout if you wanna know more.

*Him*

» Add a new message to this topic