FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Question for the scientists amongst us.

Question for the scientists amongst us.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

When you open yer lounge door to go get another beer, some heat inevitably escapes from the room.

So, how much light escapes from the room, given that the hallway is unlit?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It depends if the Draught Blows the Candle out

About 35%

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I find that raising my finger to the bulb and saying 'stay' in a commanding tone keeps the light loss down

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

the area of the doorway divided by the total area of the room including the ceiling and the floor times the wattage of the bulb (s) ... so not much

whats faster the speed of light or the speed of dark

When you open the door and release bits of light that's technically known as a light fart.

By *taffsfella1Man  over a year ago

Newcastle-under-Lyme

I switch the light off and use the torch app on my phone so that no light escapes

Heat according to the parabolic partial differential equation.

Calling into use the Radiative transfer equation using diffuse reflectance for a pencil beam normally incident on a semi-infinite medium, I'd say it depends on the amount bouncing from the tops of the bald headed men in the room.

I'm confused by the question.

It is suggesting that losing heat from a fixed space is easily comparable to light 'lost'.

The room doesn't get dimmer. The 'amount' of light, I.e brightness in the room doesn't change as there isn't a 'wave of darkness' from the unlit hallway entering the room you are leaving.

The light that would have illuminated the door just travels further, I.e into the corridor beyond the door you have opened. None of its effect on the room of origin is lost.

I suppose you can 'measure' a surrogate of light energy with a photometer. Calculate the average light intensity and multiple by the area exposed by door opening.

But I would ask you, why bother?

By *anny PepperoniMan  over a year ago

Matlock

"I'm confused by the question.

It is suggesting that losing heat from a fixed space is easily comparable to light 'lost'."

They're directly comparable aren't they?

It is suggesting that losing heat from a fixed space is easily comparable to light 'lost'.

The room doesn't get dimmer. The 'amount' of light, I.e brightness in the room doesn't change as there isn't a 'wave of darkness' from the unlit hallway entering the room you are leaving.

The light that would have illuminated the door just travels further, I.e into the corridor beyond the door you have opened. None of its effect on the room of origin is lost.

I suppose you can 'measure' a surrogate of light energy with a photometer. Calculate the average light intensity and multiple by the area exposed by door opening.

But I would ask you, why bother?"

Here, have a beer or two

"42"

But we need the question!

Depends how quick you open and shut the door

They're directly comparable aren't they?"

I didn't think so, because of the wording of the question. The way it is worded suggests equivalence between the way heat, insulated into a room is lost, and light, which is a stream of photons.

I don't see how opening a door reduces the stream of photons that traverse the room. I'm sure the effect of reflection is minimal.

"

When you open yer lounge door to go get another beer, some heat inevitably escapes from the room.

So, how much light escapes from the room, given that the hallway is unlit? "

Omg at last a swinger who has lights x

none, the door to the kitchen is always open and i dont turn the lights on as the fire keeps the place lit and warm.

Aaagh, but when you open the fridge door, can the fridge light reach the hall? If so, the room may lighten, marginally.

Hurry up with that beer - & can I've some asprin?

By *igSuki81Man  over a year ago

Retirement Village

"When you open the door and release bits of light that's technically known as a light fart."

"

I don't see how opening a door reduces the stream of photons that traverse the room. I'm sure the effect of reflection is minimal."

Are you suggesting that no photons leave the room at all?

But I would ask you, why bother?"

Opening the door into a dark corridor will fractionally reduce the illumination in the main room. The light will no longer be reflected back into the room by the door and, as it escspes down the corridor, will lose intensity with the square of the distance.

This makes a change from look at me profiles.

But I would ask you, why bother?

Opening the door into a dark corridor will fractionally reduce the illumination in the main room. The light will no longer be reflected back into the room by the door and, as it escspes down the corridor, will lose intensity with the square of the distance.

This makes a change from look at me profiles. "

Indeed, thanks for putting it so succinctly (been a while since I did any physics). The main perceivable loss within the room therefore would lost reflection rather than the intensity leaving the room?

"

I don't see how opening a door reduces the stream of photons that traverse the room. I'm sure the effect of reflection is minimal.

Are you suggesting that no photons leave the room at all? "

I may be misspeaking, but in essence the photons are travelling in straight lines, with reflections here and there.

Heat is an integrated property of the matter within the room that behaves differently.

That was the main confusing point for me old chap. The kind sir above this post by a few kindly summarised things better..

I thought light was absorbed - similarly to heat?

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I don't go for beer, therefore none. Is that the right answer?

"I don't go for beer, therefore none. Is that the right answer?"

It's modern General Science, any answer will do.

Unless your room is airtight, not a good thing, little bits of light will escape through the tiny gaps. Allegedly.

ps you've saved me a new thread, i was wondering where all the women scientists were.

"I don't go for beer, therefore none. Is that the right answer?

Unless your room is airtight, not a good thing, little bits of light will escape through the tiny gaps. Allegedly.

ps you've saved me a new thread, i was wondering where all the women scientists were.

"

It may have been the women in the couples responding.

This might be the subject of the Christmas Lectures so you will get your answer then.

I have low energy bulbs so they take ages before they give out any discernible light. On that basis, I keep the hallway light as well as the one in the living room. The hallway light seems to add more light to the living room but the living room adds nothing to the hallway.

"I don't go for beer, therefore none. Is that the right answer?

It may have been the women in the couples responding.

This might be the subject of the Christmas Lectures so you will get your answer then.

I have low energy bulbs so they take ages before they give out any discernible light. On that basis, I keep the hallway light as well as the one in the living room. The hallway light seems to add more light to the living room but the living room adds nothing to the hallway.

"

I see your problem, you've put the Male bulb in yer living room.

But the door may be coloured matt black, in which case- almost zero reflection.

1 × beer & 2 x asprin, ta!

"But the door may be coloured matt black, in which case- almost zero reflection.

1 × beer & 2 x asprin, ta!"

I was wondering about doors with a curtain over them to keep the heat in. They should contain the light too.

By *ancscpl4funCouple  over a year ago

East Lancs

Take a reading with a light meter in the room with the light on. Take a reading in the hall with door shut, it won't be absolute darkness. With door opened, take a reading of the light level and subtract the original hall reading, this will give the amount of additional light now in the hall. Take this as a percentage of light in the lit room, that is how much light is getting out. Simples

"But the door may be coloured matt black, in which case- almost zero reflection.

I was wondering about doors with a curtain over them to keep the heat in. They should contain the light too.

"

You must've heard of blackout curtains?

"Take a reading with a light meter in the room with the light on. Take a reading in the hall with door shut, it won't be absolute darkness. With door opened, take a reading of the light level and subtract the original hall reading, this will give the amount of additional light now in the hall. Take this as a percentage of light in the lit room, that is how much light is getting out. Simples "

But when you close the door there wouldn't be time to measure the light that had already got out.

You must've heard of blackout curtains?"

Indeed. But before I had central heating and I only had the one gas fire in the living room I would insulate that room with a curtain.

"Take a reading with a light meter in the room with the light on. Take a reading in the hall with door shut, it won't be absolute darkness. With door opened, take a reading of the light level and subtract the original hall reading, this will give the amount of additional light now in the hall. Take this as a percentage of light in the lit room, that is how much light is getting out. Simples "

Winner.

ahem, you don't have a light meter you could lend could yer

The question in itself is incorrect. The light from the lit room would would have left before the door was opened?

"The question in itself is incorrect. The light from the lit room would would have left before the door was opened?"

I think so. If not a room would just get brighter and brighter.

East Lancs

"Take a reading with a light meter in the room with the light on. Take a reading in the hall with door shut, it won't be absolute darkness. With door opened, take a reading of the light level and subtract the original hall reading, this will give the amount of additional light now in the hall. Take this as a percentage of light in the lit room, that is how much light is getting out. Simples

Winner.

ahem, you don't have a light meter you could lend could yer "

It's at work,

Now the wine has taken effect I think the things proposed so far are flawed.

Light can't just reflect everywhere otherwise a light source would cause a room to get brighter and brighter. So it must also get absorbed (like heat).

A light meter (I think) measures available light - not quantity of light. So it wouldn't work to calculate the amount of light lost when a door is opened.

I think you would need some sort of reflective bucket thing that could capture the light and stop it being absorbed and prevent leaks in order for it to be calculated.

Alternatively maybe each time we open a door we create a short lived star for people on another world..

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

No light is lost.

Light is emitted from a source.

When the source dies the light ends.

The sourced did not die ergo no light was lost.

King's Crustacean

source not sourced. I've just got in.

"source not sourced. I've just got in."

A bit sauced?

If it doesn't go anywhere how does it get from the source to my walls?

How do you know the hallway was dark.

"How do you know the hallway was dark."

By *thwalescplCouple  over a year ago

brecon

"Now the wine has taken effect I think the things proposed so far are flawed.

Light can't just reflect everywhere otherwise a light source would cause a room to get brighter and brighter. So it must also get absorbed (like heat).

A light meter (I think) measures available light - not quantity of light. So it wouldn't work to calculate the amount of light lost when a door is opened.

I think you would need some sort of reflective bucket thing that could capture the light and stop it being absorbed and prevent leaks in order for it to be calculated.

Alternatively maybe each time we open a door we create a short lived star for people on another world.."

See, and they laughed at me when I tried to patent my "light bucket" ffs!

Doh - light bucket. It's always the obvious thing in the end

By *thwalescplCouple  over a year ago

brecon

"Doh - light bucket. It's always the obvious thing in the end"

Sod off, I invented it first!

King's Crustacean

"source not sourced. I've just got in.

A bit sauced?"

only slightly ......

By *atelotmanMan  over a year ago

Chatham

0.0000456%

[Removed by poster at 24/12/13 00:52:24]

"Doh - light bucket. It's always the obvious thing in the end

Sod off, I invented it first! "

Does the light live in the bucket or do you just trap excess light in the bucket to take it somewhere else?

No light escpaes its only the darkness that creeps in

Apparently those buckets are called black holes. Best be careful then..

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

Subsidiary question...

do you loose less light if if its red?

All I can say is....an intelligent man is such a turn in!

East Lancs

"No light is lost.

Light is emitted from a source.

When the source dies the light ends.

The sourced did not die ergo no light was lost. "

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

It depends if there were any magnets in the hall way.

"It depends if there were any magnets in the hall way."

Is light positive or negatively magnetised?

I've a glass door to the lounge .... so mot much extra, I reckon about 12 lumens

» Add a new message to this topic